Taking shots of stars

Name
Omar
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey,

First time shooting stars(only had DSLR a few days, then found a very old canon tripod in the attic)

I have 3 lenses

18-55mm kit lens
50-250mm 4.5-5.6 lens
50mm 1.8 lens

So i "thought" the 50mm 1.8 would be best for taking shots of stars out the three, am i right?

I set aperature to 1.8, shutter speed to 15s and ISO to auto

I'll upload the image i got, wasnt amazing, but was okay.

Can anyone give me advice on what lens and settings would be the best. I have a fantastic view of the night sky through quite a few windows in the house.

Was out in the garden with the tripod. Can i ask would taking a picture of the night sky indoors through a window be pointless?

Hey,

First time shooting stars(only had DSLR a few days, then found a very old canon tripod in the attic)

I have 3 lenses

18-55mm kit lens
50-250mm 4.5-5.6 lens
50mm 1.8 lens

So i "thought" the 50mm 1.8 would be best for taking shots of stars out the three, am i right?

I set aperature to 1.8, shutter speed to 15s and ISO to auto

I'll upload the image i got, wasnt amazing, but was okay.

Can anyone give me advice on what lens and settings would be the best. I have a fantastic view of the night sky through quite a few windows in the house.

Was out in the garden with the tripod. Can i ask would taking a picture of the night sky indoors through a window be pointless?

I would say you chose the best lens for nice widefield shots and your settings seem okay too, except for the ISO on auto :thinking: Try it set to around 600 to 800 and see what happens! ...... Trying to take the shots inside through a window is a complete waste of time. Get yourself a timer remote, set the camera up outside and let it do its thing.... Just be careful it doesn't get nicked ;)

What's a timer remote cost? Need to get one. Will try manual ISO tomorrow, clouds are coming overhead just now. No chance of it getting nicked in my garden :p I tried setting up the tripod indoors beside a window and opened the window, gave me rubbish results

What's a timer remote cost? Need to get one. Will try manual ISO tomorrow, clouds are coming overhead just now. No chance of it getting nicked in my garden :p I tried setting up the tripod indoors beside a window and opened the window, gave me rubbish results

Not sure what camera you have? but a Canon timer remote costs about £20 on ebay ... something like this

I've got that exact timer, and it seems pretty good. Only thing is, I sometimes forget to set the camera to "bulb" for the shutter speed, and switch off the 2sec delay if I've been using it. Both are user errors though!

I need to practice night skies too. :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using TP Forums

Back