The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What did people take their Christmas pictures with? If they took any. I used my A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8 using saved settings of face detect with manual exposure plus f2.8 and 1/250 for the people and shots and manual exposure f2.8 and 1/125 for the static shots. 18 pictures in all as it all just about getting the pictures we wanted :D

I took no pictures. We were at my brothers' house, and they keep their livingroom cave-dark (the lighting is so dim I actually find it slightly oppressive) so didn't bother because there was no point.

What did people take their Christmas pictures with? If they took any. I used my A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8 using saved settings of face detect with manual exposure plus f2.8 and 1/250 for the people and shots and manual exposure f2.8 and 1/125 for the static shots. 18 pictures in all as it all just about getting the pictures we wanted :D
I used a Canon 6D with a 24mm F1.4 and a Sony A7 with a 55mm F1.8.
My biggest annoyance is getting the photos from the cameras to view and edit. I’m staying with family today without access to my computer and I’m not going through the frustration of wI-fi connect to my iPad so will wait to get home. It would be so much easier if all my photos went from my camera to cloud storage.

Examples :

55mm

49277822032_d357d249d5_c.jpg

24mm

49277147483_b05383c578_c.jpg

Last edited:
I took no pictures. We were at my brothers' house, and they keep their livingroom cave-dark (the lighting is so dim I actually find it slightly oppressive) so didn't bother because there was no point.

I try to take some pictures if possible every day so Mrs WW can send something to her family overseas. I had two pictures at ISO 3,200 and the rest were 4,000 to 6,400. The main problem wasn't the ISO but the awful artificial lighting but they're still perfectly fine for on screen viewing.

Last edited:
Christmas day made me decide I need my first flash :ROFLMAO:

Godox V860II-S & X1T-S a good place to start, apart from the weak hotshoe? (looking at £121 delivered for the pair from China)

*edit, another option is the Godox V1 & Xpro trigger at around £185

Last edited:

I still document it, more to look back on, maybe, one day. They’re never going to be my absolute faves but worth doing for the record.
My indoor ‘run and gun’ method is 24mm somewhere around f2-f2.8 with a full cto gelled flash (wb art at 3200k) and a homemade bounce card. Flash is on TTL and camera -1.7 exp comp, works a dream.

Godox V860II-S & X1T-S a good place to start, apart from the weak hotshoe? (looking at £121 delivered for the pair from China)

*edit, another option is the Godox V1 & Xpro trigger at around £185

Really? Just bought the V1 on its own from Lencarta with 10% off for £201 and I thought I got a good deal.

Whare can you get them cheaper?

Original A7... Have 2 batteries but no external charger, and recommendations for charging outside the camera?

350s are absolutely fine. The 860 is too big imo for the body, feels unbalanced. There’s a bout a stop difference I’ve measured so not as much as you’d think.

Hmm I could go with two 350s instead of one flash plus trigger?

Though the 350s seems to be only £10 cheaper. I am a noob when it comes to flash photography

Last edited:
Hmm I could go with two 350s instead of one flash plus trigger?

Though the 350s seems to be only £10 cheaper. I am a noob when it comes to flash photography

The 350 works well as a master too, if you want to fire a slave. Last wedding I did, that’s how I used them for the dancefloor. Had an old nikon 685 remotely in manual and used a 350 to control and fill a bit.

Hi Guys,

How do you all rate the Sony 24-240mm as an all in one walkabout lens?

I have been quietly selling off my surplus Pentax gear and am also moving on my Nikon gear for one of these along with the 200-600mm but as I don't really need it until the summer I'm wondering if it would be worth waiting a few months.
£2.2k for the A7r4 if you’re happy to buy grey.

Who has it for that? E-infinity are the cheapest I have seen recently.

I also have a Nikon mount 500mm f/4 sport, thinking it may be worth paying Sigma the £400 to convert it to Canon mount and using the MC11
Sorry, was a typo was supposed to be £2.3k not £2.2k, that’s with e-infinity (it’s actually £2349)

Great service from Cameraworld, ordered at 15:50 yesterday, chose the free P&P option, delivered today.
Did the order status change ? I’m asking as I’ve placed a order today ( and there open ) about 2.30pm, paid for extra for next day delivery and order status still hasn’t changed from pending :(

Did the order status change ? I’m asking as I’ve placed a order today ( and there open ) about 2.30pm, paid for extra for next day delivery and order status still hasn’t changed from pending :(
I be surprised if the couriers were working today.

Original A7... Have 2 batteries but no external charger, and recommendations for charging outside the camera?

I've just got this one and it seems perfectly ok...

I'm impressed with this cheap battery charger. It has a little display and the two batteries that came with it have a higher ma rating than my Sony battery. I'll have to see how long they last.

sRDMSmE.jpg

PS.
There's no mains to USB adapter with it though but I already had a few. It seems to work well.

Back