The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A rare W I D E shot from holiday. Well, 21mm is wide for me!!

by Lee, on Flickr

Very nice landscape/seascape shot Lee, nicely composed, lovely light, and just about the right amount of movement in the water for me.

George.

There's a bit on fstoppers about the Laowa 11mm f4.5...

Christopher Frost...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLizgzitfR4

I've just read a few pages on Ken Rockwell. Despite his more extreme moments I do think that some of his pages are good including some of his Nikon lens pages. So, I read what he said about the Nikon 28mm f2.8 E series and I he's not keen and the lens almost makes it onto his list of worst Nikon lenses. Having used the lens for a few days now I'm struggling to see why he thinks it's so bad. There's vignetting which I think is its biggest issue and soft corners but nothing too bad, IMO, and perhaps its main issue could be that it doesn't have the obvious build of the more expensive Nikon lenses.

I have the MK2 28mm f2.8 e series which I think was just a cosmetic change compared to the MK1 and it does feel like a plastic third party lens when compared to the all metal and glass Nikon lenses I have but it doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart either. Maybe build wise it's a bit too close to third party alternatives it was made to compete with to get praise?

Anyway. These e series lenses may not be the best lenses ever made either optically or build wise but they do seem adequately built for their price and easily sharp enough in all but the extremes. I have three now, 28mm f2.8 MK2, 35mm f2.5 MK1 and 50mm f1.8 MK2 close focus version. I do prefer the build and handling of the Nippon Kogaku H lenses but these more modern e series lenses do IMO have their charms too.

WoWzA.

The rumor site reports that good contacts say the new camera will be called the A7c (C for compact) and there'll be a new range of compact lenses to go with it. I doubt I'll buy an A7c but I might be interested in compact lenses and if these lenses can be used on A7/A9 bodies (and why not?) they could give us a wider choice.

They do make some lovely cameras, as just been looking on Wex with it being my Bday next week :)

Me, her and my A7 with Nikon 28mm f2.8 e series go for a walk.

Portraits :D

ifUho6N.jpg

Wide open.

snuX9NC.jpg

Bashful owl.

Z4nKAJt.jpg

Flower.

oybcekk.jpg

100% from that. Just in case the posting process kills it, this is sharp.

yu83CCg.jpg

One last one to show the scene.

kNmBgcv.jpg

Despite what Ken Rockwell thinks I think this is quite a nice cheap lens.

Last edited:
Cracking set Toby, love the lot but the #1/#2 get my pick.
Thanks very much.
Stunning shots - that 100-400 looks so sharp - making me even more imptient to get mine. Great pics!
Thanks. Having now used it a bit the 100-400mm is the best long tele zoom lens I've ever used.

What a strange day today is!

Outside the sky isn't its usual grey white nothingness. Instead it's a strange colour. It's blue! Also, when I went outside I noticed that every object had a weird black shape behind it and when I looked I did too! And it moved when I moved! This must be the phenomena my grandparents told me about, a sunny day!

It's not completely clear though as looking into the distance the hill isn't clear. Still, gotta make the most of this weirdness as it only happens maybe once a year at most here.

Two last pictures from yesterdays visit to Flatts Lane woodland park. They're not great photograhic masterpieces but help me to appreciate what the Nikon 28mm f2.8 e series lens can do.

Wide open this Nikon 28mm f2.8 has a nervous bokeh as you'd probably expect an old 28mm to have but stopped down a bit I think it looks quite nice. I had to do way more processing on these back lit berries than I'd like but it's ok as a whole picture.

YmDtaz8.jpg

This is a Panorama, I think it was 8 pictures, as we walked back to the car park. It ended up as 29.8mp, 9166 x 4425.

FnYpiPB.jpg

100% from that one.

eWOljBi.jpg

I think this unloved by some commentators and reviewers lens makes a good cheap day out lens and I'm quite happy with it and it has the same filter thread as all my other Nikon lenses which means I can use the same step up ring and close up filter for flower pictures and the like :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
Very nice set of landscape style shots Toby, liking all of these very much with #2 probably being my fav'.

George.
Thanks, appreciate it.
Not had any decent bird shots for a while, so made the effort and got out early this morning. (1-3 Robin, 4 Meadow Pipit, 5-7 Reed Bunting)

DSC03965 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC03961 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC03971 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04008 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04022 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04028 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04039 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr
Very nice, great detail. Do you have a hide?

Not had any decent bird shots for a while, so made the effort and got out early this morning. (1-3 Robin, 4 Meadow Pipit, 5-7 Reed Bunting)

Cracking set of images, can`t pick a favourite as love the lot.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Very nice, great detail. Do you have a hide?

I don't mate, quite lucky that this is very local and I just take my 150-600 along when I walk the dog.

A7R 4 + FE 24-105mm f4 G OSS lens change today as wanted a bit of a change with all the Sony cameras I`m buying lately. I think my signature will be getting longer.

RIP To Those Who Fell by Dave, on Flickr

Windy West Pier by Dave, on Flickr

Church by Dave, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cracking set of images, can`t pick a favourite as love the lot.

Thanks mate, much appreciated. I think my personal pick is no1 or 2. (I need to warm up the belly on no2 as it looks a little blue looking at it)

"Excellent" set if shots Ant, nice poses, good colour, and some fine detail.

George.

These are amazing. I was thinking of hiring either a 200-600 or 100-400 to take on a trip to YWP in the next few weeks. Did you find that 400mm was more than enough here?
Thanks very much. As with most of these places it depends on where the animals are in their enclosure. I use the 100-400mm on the A7R IV so that I can use it in crop mode and get 600mm reach. Those particular shots were at 370mm though.
WOW!!! These are just stunningly beautiful Toby, totally love them.
Thanks, appreciate it.

So I've had plenty of time to assess the A7R IV now, and overall it's an incredible camera. IQ is stunning, ISO performance is excellent and I've got no qualms with AF performance. However it's not all rosey, The inability to change many settings when the card is being written to is infuriating and actually caused missed shots/opportunities yesterday. And today I was lucky not to mess up my landscape shots as I've discovered that the memory custom settings don't save the AF with shutter (BBF) setting.

I just don't understand why camera manufacturers can't get these things right. They may seem like small issues but they become really frustrating. That being said, overall I'm happy with my choice to swap to Sony (y)

Last edited:
So I've had plenty of time to assess the A7R IV now, and overall it's an incredible camera. IQ is stunning, ISO performance is excellent and I've got no qualms with AF performance. However it's not all rosey, The inability to change many settings when the card is being written to is infuriating and actually caused missed shots/opportunities yesterday. And today I was lucky not to mess up my landscape shots as I've discovered that the memory custom settings don't save the AF with shutter (BBF) setting.

I just don't understand why camera manufacturers can't get these things right. They may seem like small issues but they become really frustrating. That being said, overall I'm happy with my choice to swap to Sony (y)
Famous last words, see you on the Canon forum discussing your new R5 in a couple of weeks time :p

Back