The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

One I keep looking at but will probably not interest you is the 50mm f2.5 G. It would make a good partner for my 24mm f2.8 G but as I have the old 35mm f2.8 there really isn't all that much advantage. f2.5 v 2.8 is nothing to me so it's down to 35 v 50 and again there's not really an awful lot in it. An f2 would help for low light shots although I only do those few and far between. I don't suppose I'll bother.

Last edited:
Why aren't Sigma cottoning on to the fact that people are moving towards smaller lighter lenses. I thought after the 85mm DG DN they'd turned a corner but that 50mm f1.2 looks like it's going to be a right heft.
It's pointless them trying to compete with Sony, so like all 3rd party manufacturers they aim to beat them on a single front, IE quality, price or size/weight.

Why aren't Sigma cottoning on to the fact that people are moving towards smaller lighter lenses. I thought after the 85mm DG DN they'd turned a corner but that 50mm f1.2 looks like it's going to be a right heft.

They have the 50 f2 if you don't want a large, fast lens, which seems a perfectly reasonable compromise to me. No idea what the cost of the 1.2 will be, but if the images are as good as those from the Sony 1.2 but with a more sensible price tage then I'll be seriously interested.

I thought these lenses might be in the style of those almost manual prime like lenses they brought out some time ago. If that's the case they may be nicely styled and smaller than you'd think but not hoped or at least the f2 might be. If it's the same size or slightly smaller than the Sony 55mm f1.8 I might look at it. You're probably right on the f1.2 though and unless it's a lot cheaper than the Sony some will be struggling to be interested.

How does a couple turn into eight? :LOL:

Do like number four though

Worth the page space though :D I always like to see pictures other people are taking :D

The portrait orientation picture of the violin player is my favourite picture of the set. I like his shirt too.

Last edited:
It's pointless them trying to compete with Sony, so like all 3rd party manufacturers they aim to beat them on a single front, IE quality, price or size/weight.
No they're not trying to compete, but my point was that reducing size and weight seems to be the focus these days and I'm surprised (assuming that the info is accurate) that Sigma have designed such a monster. As I said, they 'rectified' the 85mm f1.4 in this regard and I assumed that they'd do the same with future primes (y)

Worth the page space though :D I always like to see pictures other people are taking :D

The portrait orientation picture of the violin player is my favourite picture of the set. I like his shirt too.

You want to see him play it like a guitar, he is great.

A photo :)

Possibly one of the last with the 20G on the A7

Man o' War Bay on the Jurassic Coast

Tracked & stacked sky with the MSM, equal foreground images.

*** by Lee, on Flickr
That’s special (y)

I've been looking at some images taken with the Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM and really like them. Has anyone tried this on the Sony using the Metabones adapter and if so what's the AF like? What's the difference between the Metabones IV vs V?

I've been looking at some images taken with the Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM and really like them. Has anyone tried this on the Sony using the Metabones adapter and if so what's the AF like? What's the difference between the Metabones IV vs V?

Toby, its not known to be the most reliable of lenses and certainly doesn't appear to be up to Canon's usual standards. Its what has always put me off buying one.

Being an older lens design though, the images will have more 'character' compared to the latest (and heavy) 50mm fast lenses.

Not sure about the 50mm 1.4 but I use a lot of my Canon lenses on the a9 with the Sigma MC-11 (mainly the 16-35mm f/4 L, 100mm macro f/2.8 L, 24-105mm f/4 L and 70-200mm f/2.8 L MKII) and the autofocus speed and accuracy is more than good enough.

Used it for a while with MC11 and it works well enough for people.

(y)

Yes. Well, a pro mist style filter. I wasn't too sure about using it for Milky Way in all honesty as I think they are more effective with constellations.
There is one that Allyn Wallace developed with Kase. I was tempted but it costs £165!

I made a mist filter from old UV one I already had, and wafted it through black aerosol paint sprayed in the air
You can use hairspray too, It probably would not last so well.

Toby, its not known to be the most reliable of lenses and certainly doesn't appear to be up to Canon's usual standards. Its what has always put me off buying one.

Being an older lens design though, the images will have more 'character' compared to the latest (and heavy) 50mm fast lenses.

I looked into the Canon 50mm f1.4 in my DSLR days and as far as I remember reports of iffy focus with it were rife. I got the Sigma 50mm f1.4 instead and had no issues.

Not sure about the 50mm 1.4 but I use a lot of my Canon lenses on the a9 with the Sigma MC-11 (mainly the 16-35mm f/4 L, 100mm macro f/2.8 L, 24-105mm f/4 L and 70-200mm f/2.8 L MKII) and the autofocus speed and accuracy is more than good enough.

Used it for a while with MC11 and it works well enough for people.

I looked into the Canon 50mm f1.4 in my DSLR days and as far as I remember reports of iffy focus with it were rife. I got the Sigma 50mm f1.4 instead and had no issues.
Thanks for the info, tbh it would only be for static things so AF speed is not much of an issue, I just wouldn't want it to hunt forever and a day and/or miss focus a lot.

Mike I didn't know the sigma adapter worked with other makes I just assumed it was sigma lenses only :oops: :$

Thanks for the info, tbh it would only be for static things so AF speed is not much of an issue, I just wouldn't want it to hunt forever and a day and/or miss focus a lot.

Mike I didn't know the sigma adapter worked with other makes I just assumed it was sigma lenses only :oops: :$

Works fine with Canon EF lenses, EF-S lenses don't fit. As for AF speed etc I have a Canon 50mm 1.8 and it works better on my a9 than it does on the 7D MKII (guessing that's a mirrorless thing). so maybe it's the same with the 1.4

Can someone put me right with Sony lenses. I have a A9 but I see E and FE lenses Is there a difference?

One from the park the other day. I was walking through the quiet park and spotted this quiet route out with no one else about. As it was so quiet the ducks felt comfortable enough to be wandering about without a care until I turned up and startled them. See the duck in the bottom left giving me evils :D

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

5pPg0n8.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Very nice. I do wish I had the interest/patience sometimes.
Thanks, it’s rare I have the patience tbh, I’m not one who can sit in a hide for hours.

Back