The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I’d agree it does feel very hollow. Side by side with my xh2s it’s quite laughable the difference in build quality. But then I’d expect fujis flagship to be better than Sonys. Something you get used to I think until you have another brand in the hand at the same time.

I did get to try the birds af yesterday in the 7iv yesterday and it was pretty impressive.

They really could have improved the mechanical shutter too and dampened it even a little bit. Someone said what did I expect as it’s a replacement to 7III, doesn’t mean they had to keep the same ridiculously loud shutter.

Thank you for the response. I have a Samyang the 35 f2.8, and I am not impressed. When it focusses, its great, however it can spend a lot of time hunting. When using video, it sometimes just goes out of focus for no reason. Also, if something is out of the centre of the image, it struggles to focus. In comparison to my Sony 28 - 60, its great. I just wish it was a bit faster; although the trade off is weight!

I have the Sammy 35 - it's a lot better than the Sony 50.

Thank you for the response. I have a Samyang the 35 f2.8, and I am not impressed. When it focusses, its great, however it can spend a lot of time hunting. When using video, it sometimes just goes out of focus for no reason. Also, if something is out of the centre of the image, it struggles to focus. In comparison to my Sony 28 - 60, its great. I just wish it was a bit faster; although the trade off is weight!
I would suggest that you have a bad copy of the Sammy, AF should not be that bad. Unfortunately Samyang's QC is not the best and there is a lot of sample variation, that being said if you get a good copy they're great.

I would recommend the Samyang 45mm f1.8, great little lens. Small, light, lovely rendering and good AF. I sometimes regret getting rid of mine, as great as the Samyang 50mm f1.4 FE II is I did like the compactness of the 45mm

So what do you guys want Sony to do? Put some lead weights inside to make it heavier :facepalm:
Weight and/or metal doesn't necessarily equal better build quality.

So is the A7iv a step down in build quality from the A9?
I'd say it's better since underside of the A7IV is actually sealed unlike A9.

It just feels more plastic and like a hollow feeling to it. Hard to explain. It has the same frame essentially as the A7SIII but it feels better, hard to explain it but to me it felt a tad cheap

Yeah I would agree with that. The Canon R6 isn't much better although the ergonomics are nicer.

When you compare to the Nikon Z6II though or the higher end Fuji's they absolutely seem better.
So what do you guys want Sony to do? Put some lead weights inside to make it heavier :facepalm:

I guess its just the tactile feel of it. The A9 certainly feels like it's better build quality. It may not be but it certainly feels like it is.

It doesn't really matter that much to me, it's only the images it creates and how easy it is get them. It could be made of chocolate for all I care as long as it does what I want. I don't think the fact that it feels cheap means that it necessarily won't be reliable.

The Sony 24-70 GMII feels very plasticky as well, but is excellent.

I’d have liked a half decent mechanical shutter and a screen that wasn’t worse than a DSLR from 10 years ago lol. As Tommy said though the images are really all that matters to us. The A1s probably the best camera I’ve ever used so using that then going to a mk4 is never gonna be a fair comparison lol

I’d have liked a half decent mechanical shutter and a screen that wasn’t worse than a DSLR from 10 years ago lol. As Tommy said though the images are really all that matters to us. The A1s probably the best camera I’ve ever used so using that then going to a mk4 is never gonna be a fair comparison lol
Used to have the A1, I moved to A7IV recently.
I think A1 has the same rubbish screen from last decade unfortunately. I do wish they'd fix that and make the touch interface more intuitive.

I don't think there is massive loss in build quality. Yes it's a wee bit lighter or "hollow" as people claim but that doesn't really mean anything quality wise.

I think A1 has the same rubbish screen from last decade unfortunately. I do wish they'd fix that and make the touch interface more intuitive.

I don't think there is massive loss in build quality. Yes it's a wee bit lighter or "hollow" as people claim but that doesn't really mean anything quality wise.

The eye AF especially in low light is so much better on the A1. Whatever that last update changed it made it hugely better. Mech shutter is so quiet too which I love. Because we shoot video too the A1 is a rare breed where it can do both equally well

The eye AF especially in low light is so much better on the A1. Whatever that last update changed it made it hugely better. Mech shutter is so quiet too which I love. Because we shoot video too the A1 is a rare breed where it can do both equally well

The AF overall is better on A1 for sure. It also costs like 3 times more.
I actually never used the mechanical shutter on the A1 :D
Kinda weird getting used to the sound of shutter again lol

But the noise of shutters don't bother me tbh. For me its binary, there is either some noise from it or it makes no noise.

The AF overall is better on A1 for sure. It also costs like 3 times more.
I actually never used the mechanical shutter on the A1 :D
Kinda weird getting used to the sound of shutter again lol

But the noise of shutters don't bother me tbh. For me its binary, there is either some noise from it or it makes no noise.

The difference in the slap/vibration/noise is pretty significant even between the 7mk4 and SIII, I’d have thought they would have used the shutter mechanism from that camera. It just makes things abit more discreet at weddings lol

The difference in the slap/vibration/noise is pretty significant even between the 7mk4 and SIII, I’d have thought they would have used the shutter mechanism from that camera. It just makes things abit more discreet at weddings lol

The A7IV shutter is also quite a bit louder than the A7RIV.

I am gonna guess its because the shutter in the A7RIV, A1, SIII is higher end and rated for 500k where as Sony haven't stated what the shutter on the A7IV is rated for probably 200k like the A7III.

I guess they have decided that those ratings are a waste of time now as it's just luck really. I traded my oldest A7III for an A7IV and it had a shutter count of just under 550k and was still working great and the A7III shutter is supposedly made out of butter.

Last edited:
The A7IV shutter is also quite a bit louder than the A7RIV.

I am gonna guess its because the shutter in the A7RIV, A1, SIII is higher end and rated for 500k where as Sony haven't stated what the shutter on the A7IV is rated for probably 200k like the A7III.

The A7iv shutter sounds like a d750 I’d say. Pretty loud.

Old school canons were actually pretty cool. I remember having a wee 550D and it was actually great for the time

The problem was as far as I know that the EF-S cameras had to do more mirror movement and that added to the noise, or at least I'm sure I read that somewhere.

The D700 to be fair was amazing! Remember you getting it and the Sigma 70-200 and puking me about me not having full frame LOL

Remember that well :p

You were actually raging :p

This was the Facebook post, pops up in my Facebook memories every year.

5C6D2AC2-3D91-40F9-B5DD-51D56B95FD92.jpeg

That dude Mel was it? Gave you a right touch and pushed you over the edge.

The comments on that Facebook post, you accused me of fraud :p

Lucas got involved and someone threatened to rob my house.

The good old days

F179CC46-D398-4A55-B888-1E8A021B5953.jpeg

D700 Gripped!

Last edited:

View attachment 359823

The good old days

View attachment 359824

D700 Gripped!
Jesus it feels like a different lifetime

Mel died a few years back I believe. It did aye put a bee in my bonnet LOL Once you get that full frame goodness you couldn’t go back lol

I kinda miss the amateur aspect of photography, not sure if you’re like us but we never use the cameras now for anything other than work lol

Good thing is at least we both escaped that hellhole Currys haha

Jesus it feels like a different lifetime

Mel died a few years back I believe. It did aye put a bee in my bonnet LOL Once you get that full frame goodness you couldn’t go back lol

I kinda miss the amateur aspect of photography, not sure if you’re like us but we never use the cameras now for anything other than work lol

Good thing is at least we both escaped that hellhole Currys haha

Simpler times absolutely. Yeah it’s hard to get motivated to use the gear when your not getting paid.

I try to keep my hand in with a couple of trips a year just for photography. I did do a fair bit of personal stuff over the pandemic but that’s all out the window now it’s back to being nuts again. We have our 5th wedding in 8 days tomorrow.

I only really ever liked taking photos of the kids and there is no chance of that these days.

Also your face when I got this. :p

6073EC25-3891-4D80-A870-92339518E86E.jpeg

View attachment 359823

Lucas got involved and someone threatened to rob my house.

The good old days

View attachment 359824

D700 Gripped!

Do you remember Lucas’ post of the dog s***ting in his garden ? One of the most hilarious things lol.

Are you attending the glorious this year lol

Edit - Actually, I've had an idea I'll download a raw file from a review site.

Last edited:
Simpler times absolutely. Yeah it’s hard to get motivated to use the gear when your not getting paid.

I try to keep my hand in with a couple of trips a year just for photography. I did do a fair bit of personal stuff over the pandemic but that’s all out the window now it’s back to being nuts again. We have our 5th wedding in 8 days tomorrow.

I only really ever liked taking photos of the kids and there is no chance of that these days.

Also your face when I got this. :p

View attachment 359825

Beast of a lens. The jealousy was real LOL some craic all the same haha

It’s not quite the same being able to buy whatever you want equipment wise, the chase for it is almost as good as getting what you want haha

Do you remember Lucas’ post of the dog s***ting in his garden ? One of the most hilarious things lol.

Are you attending the glorious this year

Absolutely, have to keep a low profile these days though so as not to offend anyone. Not like the old days standing out in the middle of the road shooting then as they come in.

Absolutely, have to keep a low profile these days though so as not to offend anyone. Not like the old days standing out in the middle of the road shooting then as they come in.

I’ll be going myself for beers and burgers in the field lol. Haha remember the photos of aul Peter in the bowler hat

Beast of a lens. The jealousy was real LOL some craic all the same haha

It’s not quite the same being able to buy whatever you want equipment wise, the chase for it is almost as good as getting what you want haha

Yeah when it’s just for work there is no lusting after anything really. Only thing I really have got excited about it in a long while was the 50GM.

In the last month we have bought two bodies and a lens and it was just like yeah need that buy it forget about it.

I’ll be going myself for beers and burgers in the field lol. Haha remember the photos of aul Peter in the bowler hat
Did you see him on the news a couple of years back when he went walkabout.

Was considering going to a crop sensors as I just want a lighter package. looked at some reviews of the R7/R10 and they AF looks very good.

Down side is that the amount of lenses is limited unless you go full blown on the expensive ones which are just as heavy as the 70-200 GM. I know that will change in time.

At least with Sony I can get the Tamron and save a lot of weight.

Was considering going to a crop sensors as I just want a lighter package. looked at some reviews of the R7/R10 and they AF looks very good.

Down side is that the amount of lenses is limited unless you go full blown on the expensive ones which are just as heavy as the 70-200 GM. I know that will change in time.

At least with Sony I can get the Tamron and save a lot of weight.
A7C+tamron 70-180mm?

I didn't realise you changed the A1 for the A7IV, why's that?

I didn't realise you changed the A1 for the A7IV, why's that?
Couple reasons
Don't expect to be shooting action or wildlife for another year or two.
In 1-2 years if Sony doesn't have any teleprimes like Nikon and assuming Z9's AF has filtered down to other bodies I'll probably move to Nikon.
Just easier to sell the A1 now and minimum loss.
This is my migration away from Sony. I have just sold the 16-35GM.
I am going to slowly sell my lenses now.

Last edited:
Couple reasons
In 1-2 years if Sony doesn't have any teleprimes like Nikon and assuming Z9's AF has filtered down to other bodies I'll probably move to Nikon.

What other lenses are you potentially shifting lol

Couple reasons
Would you then buy the A1 again if Sony bring out some tele primes?

I still see myself as a Nikon shooter at heart but I can’t see myself going back due to the lenses.

Back