The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

:eek: As above has that been pushed in post, or is it like that SOOC?

That's the compressed RAW straight out of camera. It seems to be lens dependent, weirdly, and I understand the Sony 85mm 1.8 is known for it. This is the Samyang AF 135mm 1.8, which is a wonderful lens apart from the 0.25% of photos where this has happened!

How did you find the Samyang 135mm? Been hankering after a 135mm lens since selling my manual Carl Zeiss which I used with a Contax RX and can’t justify the Sony GM cost on the amount I’d use it. Reviews seem very good but are you then down to “getting a good one” which people mention about Samyang lenses. Been happy with my 45mm lens though.

I have a whole set of Samyang lenses for wedding photography, the new 'II' versions of the 35mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4, and the 85mm 1.4 and 135mm 1.8.

Love them all, I sold my 50mm 1.2 GM and bought most of the above! I've not had focus issues with any of them, shot 5 or 6 weddings so far, 20,000+ frames and virtually nothing OOF.

That's the compressed RAW straight out of camera. It seems to be lens dependent, weirdly, and I understand the Sony 85mm 1.8 is known for it. This is the Samyang AF 135mm 1.8, which is a wonderful lens apart from the 0.25% of photos where this has happened!

There was a similar thing years ago with Panasonic cameras and the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and a sort of banding. I could never understand how a lens could cause artefacts in the file like that.

There was a similar thing years ago with Panasonic cameras and the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and a sort of banding. I could never understand how a lens could cause artefacts in the file like that.

I shot loads at sunset from almost the same angle and most are fine, it's only the really flarey shots where the issue appears. The 85mm 1.8 seems to be by far the biggest culprit on the a7III, a9 etc, not so much on the newer higher resolution bodies.

I don't understand how it can be an issue based on the lens used, but either way, maybe add the Samyang 135mm 1.8 to that list!

I wonder if it's a purely optical issue or possibly more likely something in the scene and lighting and the optics that combine to trigger the electronics and processing to create this. You'd think that either way the manufacturers would be able to reproduce this, identify the cause and do something or at least design it out in future products.

It does seem to be something that's been around for years so... someone must know.

I wonder if it's a purely optical issue or possibly more likely something in the scene and lighting and the optics that combine to trigger the electronics and processing to create this. You'd think that either way the manufacturers would be able to reproduce this, identify the cause and do something or at least design it out in future products.

It does seem to be something that's been around for years so... someone must know.

Apparently, it's reflections from the on-sensor PDAF pixels. The a7III have a large number of PDAF pixels and a relatively low overall pixel count, so seem to be the biggest culprits. I guess the lens being a factor is due to the path of light through the various bits of glass, and some lenses just throw it up more than others.

Super rare so not something I'm going to worry about too much, I shot a ton of flare and backlit stuff at Le Mans and never saw it once, and as mentioned of 50-60 sunset images last night only 2 have thrown up the issue. Just a shame I can't fix it as this one was a particularly good one!

Last edited:
I still have the Mint Voigtlander 50mm APO in sales, will except an offer.

This is IMO an exceptional lens and possibly and as said by more than one reviewer one of the best 50's ever made and it's very compact for such an outstanding lens.

Mine is on my list of possibles to sell as unfortunately I'm just not using it... actually I'm just not taking many pictures at the mo, no opportunity to.

@Fuji Dave crazy prices there fella.

I would have happily gave you 2.5k for the Sony kit and £1000-£1200 for the Fuji and would have taken both. Am sure others would have as well.

There is a section on the site where you can ask for advise on selling prices. Next time you are selling something it might not be a bad idea to ask in there so your not getting robbed.

I would have happily gave you 2.5k for the Sony kit and £1000-£1200 for the Fuji and would have taken both. Am sure others would have as well.

There is a section on the site where you can ask for advise on selling prices. Next time you are selling something it might not be a bad idea to ask in there so your not getting robbed.
Have to agree with this, those prices are crazy Dave, smoker or not

Sadly they were just collecting dust as was not using them at all, the only original boxes are the AF ones. I'm not to fussed that it went cheap, as if I really get into this MFT then the rest of the Sony lot will go. But that is ages off yet.

Why so cheap is because KNOW ONE can come back and say OMG it sticks of smoke, but the buyer gets Mint kit.

Honestly that wouldn’t be a problem for most people. A quick clean and the smoke smell soon goes. Different for things that are fabric like camera bags where it’s harder to get rid of the smell. Not having a box isn’t much of an issue either. Yeah some people won’t want that but as long as you mention it then it’s up to them to decide.

Neither a smoke smell or no box should mean having to sell at less than half market value.

WEX would have given you over 2.5k for the Sony stuff as well.

Last edited:
Honestly that wouldn’t be a problem for most people. A quick clean and the snow smell soon goes. Different for things that are fabric like camera bags where it’s harder to get rid of the smell. Not having a box isn’t much of an issue either. Yeah some people won’t want that but as long as you mention it then it’s up to them to decide.

Neither a smoke smell or no box should mean having to sell at less than half market value.

I always say I'm a smoker, goes back to when a member very nearly conned me into half his money back.

Sadly I know I have made a bit of a mistake as was going to ask for more, but too late now as the deals are done.

I have a whole set of Samyang lenses for wedding photography, the new 'II' versions of the 35mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4, and the 85mm 1.4 and 135mm 1.8.

Love them all, I sold my 50mm 1.2 GM and bought most of the above! I've not had focus issues with any of them, shot 5 or 6 weddings so far, 20,000+ frames and virtually nothing OOF.
I think the higher priced/more pro orientated Samyangs are generally fine, especially the Gen II's. I won't buy one of their "budget" ones again I don't think.
You and me both.

I always say I'm a smoker, goes back to when a member very nearly conned me into half his money back.

Sadly I know I have made a bit of a mistake as was going to ask for more, but too late now as the deals are done.

The main thing is if you're happy with the deal and if you are it doesn't really matter what you could of might of got.

The main thing is if you're happy with the deal and if you are it doesn't really matter what you could of might of got.

I am happy and do know I could of asked for more, but as a one off deal the new owners can't say I want my money back hence why so cheap. I will not be selling anymore after this as have asked to be locked out of the sales thread when the stuff gets delivered.

I am happy and do know I could of asked for more, but as a one off deal the new owners can't say I want my money back hence why so cheap. I will not be selling anymore after this as have asked to be locked out of the sales thread when the stuff gets delivered.

At least it's over and done with, no checking the thread and no haggling and thinking it's just too much trouble and wishing you hadn't bothered.

At least it's over and done with, no checking the thread and no haggling and thinking it's just too much trouble and wishing you hadn't bothered.
That's most certainly one way of looking at it.

I will not be selling anymore after this as have asked to be locked out of the sales thread when the stuff gets delivered.
What's that? 3 times now? :D

Last edited:
You could be saying that to yourself if you adjust the pricing of your lenses down by about 2/3rds ;)

I thought I'd priced them ok and looking at what they've gone for on ebay I think I've aimed at the bottom of the market for lenses in this condition and I've included postage.

If they don't sell, and I don't think they will, they'll go in a box to Ffordes or somewhere and frankly I'd rather do that than haggle over £5 and the cost of postage on here.

Had a lovely sunset last night, first time I've seen this from my a7III, mechanical shutter (mega crop)...

A7306486 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

I've tried the Professor Dietz fix and it came out exactly the same, are there any other alternatives?

I see something like this very occasionally with a pushed mono shot. It can be reduced by negative clarity in lightroom, but not eliminated that way. Might be worth trying one of the 'magic' noise reduction packages to see if that works.

Had a lovely sunset last night, first time I've seen this from my a7III, mechanical shutter (mega crop)...

A7306486 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

I've tried the Professor Dietz fix and it came out exactly the same, are there any other alternatives?

Surprised you haven't come across this before. It is very common on all mirrorless cameras when you shoot backlit.

With Sony the lens used seems to make a difference the 85 f/1.8 and the Sigma 24-70 are well known for this issue but depending on the light it can happen with any lens.

I’m starting to do a few vids alongside photos and maybe a few vlogs. Used the A9 at the weekend and could really do with a swivel screen.

I don’t really need the 20fps and although blackout is nice, I can live without.

The A7iv looks like it will be a good fit as a more balanced all rounder.

Does not have to be Sony as my only lens is the 70-200 GM and thats going up for sale.

But not sure what other brands cover all bases. A quick enough camera with decent enough tracking for sports which also does decent video with a swivel screen.

Canon R10 maybe if going crop or just stick with Sony and get the 7iv?

How about the little RF style A7c? That has a swivel screen and from what I've read it has good AF. Just a thought :D

I’m starting to do a few vids alongside photos and maybe a few vlogs. Used the A9 at the weekend and could really do with a swivel screen.

I don’t really need the 20fps and although blackout is nice, I can live without.

The A7iv looks like it will be a good fit as a more balanced all rounder.

Does not have to be Sony as my only lens is the 70-200 GM and thats going up for sale.

But not sure what other brands cover all bases. A quick enough camera with decent enough tracking for sports which also does decent video with a swivel screen.

Canon R10 maybe if going crop or just stick with Sony and get the 7iv?
Got a new A7IV over weekend. Really impressed by the performance so far. Incredibly good body.

IMO best body in Sony's lineup after the A1.

Last edited:
Got a new A7IV over weekend. Really impressed by the performance so far. Incredibly good body.

IMO best body in Sony's lineup after the A1.
Anand. Your thoughts on A7iv eye af ?

Anand. Your thoughts on A7iv eye af ?
Seems to be spot on. At least with people seems nearly good as A1 without the higher frame rate and blackout.

Haven't tried it with animals/birds but I don't expect to be shooting them much now which I why I went from A1 to A7IV.

Last edited:
Seems to be spot on. At least with people seems nearly good as A1 without the higher frame rate and blackout.

Haven't tried it with animals/birds but I don't expect to be shooting them much now which I why I went from A1 to A7IV.
Stop It!
:D

Given how many manual lenses you have, may be a newer body with the new LM-EA9 could make for a nice upgrade for you

I'm probably going to sell most of my manual lenses. Those that don't sell on here will go in a box to Ffordes or someone. Just sold two so far, both 50's.

I'm probably going to sell most of my manual lenses. Those that don't sell on here will go in a box to Ffordes or someone. Just sold two so far, both 50's.
Yeah I see you are selling a bunch of them.
I am tempted but better to stay away from it before I get addicted to them again.

Yeah I see you are selling a bunch of them.
I am tempted but better to stay away from it before I get addicted to them again.

I have sets of Rokkor, FD, Zuiko and Nikon from 24 to 85 or beyond but my life has changed so much in the last year (caring duties with now absolutely zero help from my family and in fact I have no contact with them now) that I just hardly have any time for photography let alone enjoying all these manual lenses so I might as well bite the bullet and sell them off. I'm going to keep a few but most will go.

Back