The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

No I didn't as today only chance I got out

They will do something as I can request refund under not fir for purpose

Might be a good idea to test the camera when you get it back and at least then you're starting from a known state.

Personally I think it's also a great advantage to be able to clean the camera yourself for three reasons...

Firstly, you wont be without your camera while it's away being cleaned.
Secondly, you wont have to pay someone else.
Thirdly, you can make sure it's done properly.
:D

Last edited:
But the camera is fit for purpose, you've got some dust on the sensor like 99% of DSLRs in use. If you haven't tested the camera since it was cleaned it's likely the shop didn't get all the dust when they did it so you could probably get them to clean it again.

I love to clean myself but shop said it easily damage?

Anyway I see what they say first before doing anything else.

If you can clean a pair of glasses you can clean a sensor. I assume the shop are trying to scare you into paying them each time instead.

The next purchase on your list should be some Eclipse fluid, Pec pads and flexible plastic spatulas.

If you can clean a pair of glasses you can clean a sensor. I assume the shop are trying to scare you into paying them each time instead.

The next purchase on your list should be some Eclipse fluid, Pec pads and flexible plastic spatulas.
I'll try it with my 5d3 first before I do on my a7r2.

Finally getting to grips with the a7r2

Least you got a clean one.. mine is dusty as hell from day one..I will get this one swapped I am sure as it been back for 2 clean on the sensor so there must be dust in the body somewhere. Could they not blast it out with a can and give it all a good clean before doing a sensor clean? As this is something I will ask if it possible? Once I know the sensor is clean then I will know the rest is down to me. Ive never had this as clean as my d750 yet..

You don't want to ask them to use a can of compressed air inside your camera body unless you want to replace the dust with fluid..

Thank you so what the best way.. I am wanting them to get this cleaned or replace it.. They were very helpful when i went on monday and said they will help me in every ways if i have a problem so let see what response I get tmr..

I think it's an issue with most mirrorless cameras Andrew.

I mainly shoot landscape, so being on a beach at dawn with sand and dust blowing everywhere is the norm. When I had a 7d I rarely had to clean the sensor. When I swapped to a M3, I had to clean it all the time. It became part of my routine - cleaning filters, then the sensor.

Once you get used to doing it, it takes seconds. I have read that you need to be a little more careful cleaning the A7ii due to the IBIS. I haven't had to do mine yet so can't comment first hand.

I've read for cleaning the sensor on the a7ii is to have it turned on that way the sensor more rigid not sure if this is true.

But these sensor cleaners are not cheap you can only use the swab once then in bin??

This is interesting about coating

The sensor should not be cleaned by a user for two very important reasons:
1: When the camera is turned off the sensor is loose. When powered on, the
sensor is suspended in a magnetic field to enable the five-axis image
stabilization.
2: If the sensor is cleaned by a user using a swab, the anti-static coating

on the sensor is wiped off. Our repair technicians replace the coating when
they perform service.

Works out about 2 quid a clean mate can't really complain about that

Yes, the swabs are a one time use so you don't risk dragging dust across the sensor on another pass and scratch it. I've never heard of cleaning the sensor with the camera on either to be fair. I'd assume you'd be more likely to get a static charge on the sensor if there was voltage applied so you'd have less chance of lifting any dust.

I've used these Pec Pads (100 for £10.99)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photographi...&qid=1456080794&sr=8-2&keywords=eclipse+fluid

Along with Eclipse fluid like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photographi...&qid=1456080794&sr=8-1&keywords=eclipse+fluid

For plastic spatulas i've just used any basic glue spreaders like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proops-Gree...6080913&sr=8-9&keywords=plastic+glue+spreader

I've cleaned the sensor on my A6000 using this kind of kit and had no issues. For the price of a single sensor clean from a shop (probably using the same kit) this gives enough for probably 10 cleans.

I've never read up on sensor cleaning for an A7 specifically but after a quick search, this was the first Youtube guide I came across that uses standard fluid/cleaning swabs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgLzBPjR2ls

Last edited:
This is interesting about coating

The sensor should not be cleaned by a user for two very important reasons:
1: When the camera is turned off the sensor is loose. When powered on, the
sensor is suspended in a magnetic field to enable the five-axis image
stabilization.
2: If the sensor is cleaned by a user using a swab, the anti-static coating

on the sensor is wiped off. Our repair technicians replace the coating when
they perform service.

Where did you lift this from???

I could never bring myself to clean a cameras sensor when it's turned on goes against every bit of knowlegde I have can't see that's correct mate

"i found this on a photo forum-make of it what you will, it apparently applies to olympus om-d, its made me think twice anyway."

I'd take it with a pinch of salt to be honest.

Edit ^^ beat me to it!

That video he use one swap which had 3 drops on it so why didn't he use a dry one after?

@rookies kies think your worrying about it too much mate.... take it to your camera shop get it cleaned ask what they used and buy some of that at least you have the knowledge from them that your sticking to the warranty by cleaning with what they do ;-)

Some dirt look a bit weird like a hola hop shape a dot with a hole in it

Done mine many times on and off its fine they are delicate but not kid gloves delicate,there's glass over the sensor very thin bit if you ever God forbid damage that it's 160 quid for Sony to replace it

Just get some wet stuff and do it, the wet stuff is anti static also

Done mine many times on and off its fine they are delicate but not kid gloves delicate,there's glass over the sensor very thin bit if you ever God forbid damage that it's 160 quid for Sony to replace it

Just get some wet stuff and do it, the wet stuff is anti static also

What stuff you done yours with?

What stuff you done yours with?

You said it's sucking dust and sounds like oil from somewhere, all without changing lenses. That doesn't sound right. You'll be cleaning the thing every 50 shots by the sound of it.

I used visible dust from wex and I didn't throw them away ignore that just treat them gently and rebag them, if it's mucky throw the first away...I also got the oil removal version red cap for the hard ones.

Rocket blow every lens change and it's fine.what I will say is if you take shots at f22 and find dust don't clean it unless it's actively visible on your shots otherwise you'll be doing it forever it become an obsession....when I say visible I mean normal shots not of paper etc.

If I'm in any kind of doubt I focus then shoot the sky that will show anything worthy of a blowjob... Otherwise enjoy the camera.

Rookies you asked calumet how they do it? Jessops only do dry cleaning no wet stuff, I bet if you ask them they may do dry also, which in my book is never as good as a wet one... Just think of wiping your bum or blow drying it with an hair dryer... With the odd dab here and there... Wipes much better get more purchase

Ok I'm saving up for the 2.8s 70-200 first then 85mm I have to say the canon 24-70 I'm using is pin sharp and I doubt the 2k f2.8 will be worth it other than the fancy bit, but you know what I might buy them all lol

I've just fired off a email asking how they clean them. But I think twist right mine could be firing oil all over as stated lens never came off camera when the cleaned it last week and it dread full it seem be getting worse with more clicks

Ok yeah prob right can you see the dust or is it oil? Hold it up to the light and look if you rocket blow it and none shift then it's got a be oil

Seeing if shop clean it. It been cleaned twice in space 3 weeks and the lens never been off it so this confuse me
Might be dust on you lens where it connects to the camera. If you clean the sensor and then fit the lens which has dust on its end plate then this gets transferred to the sensor - always clean the end of your lenses with a rocket blower - preferably a Hepa one.

It deffo oil as nothing shift with rocket blower at all. Do all Sony suffer from this. As I know Nikon d600 did or 610

Back