The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I’ve actually got a bit of buyer’s remorse after seeing how sharp the Sammy shots were today :facepalm:

I blame Trev and David :LOL:

Toby, don't sweat it, the GM F1.2 would have just niggled away at you, much better to have it in the bag. It was the same with me and the GFX, I borrowed one, then spent over a year convincing myself I didn't need it, before taking the plunge, not regretted it one bit.

For those tempted there's a Sony 50mm f1.2 in the for sale section for £1,450, boxed and including all the normal stuff and including postage. The seller says it's been used 2-3 times.

In all this I think that focal length and perspective and the potential for blur and how much depth we want are all worth thinking about.

For eg if blur is the point then 50/1.2=41.6 compared to a cheaper 85mm f1.8 with 85/1.8=47 but here perspective and the nature of the blur have to be taken into account.

Oh. And a PS.
The widest aperture (f number wise) lenses I have are the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 and Syoptic 50mm f1.1. For me there's a testing/honeymoon period where I want to see how it performs at various apertures and distances and after that the very widest apertures will only be used now and again and will be a small percentage of shots taken. Fair play to those who want to take every picture at the widest available aperture, I see the appeal.

Last edited:
For those tempted there's a Sony 50mm f1.2 in the for sale section for £1,450, boxed and including all the normal stuff and including postage. The seller says it's been used 2-3 times.

In all this I think that focal length and perspective and the potential for blur and how much depth we want are all worth thinking about.

For eg if blur is the point then 50/1.2=41.6 compared to a cheaper 85mm f1.8 with 85/1.8=47 but here perspective and the nature of the blur have to be taken into account.

Oh. And a PS.
The widest aperture (f number wise) lenses I have are the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 and Syoptic 50mm f1.1. For me there's a testing/honeymoon period where I want to see how it performs at various apertures and distances and after that the very widest apertures will only be used now and again and will be a small percentage of shots taken. Fair play to those who want to take every picture at the widest available aperture, I see the appeal.
Can get it new grey for that price, I’d rather have the assurance of warranty. YMMV.

Can get it new grey for that price, I’d rather have the assurance of warranty. YMMV.

I'm not interested for reasons of size. I just thought I'd post in case someone else was.

Someone has put a bid in.

Good luck with yours and I'll look forward to reading your views and seeing some pictures :D

I keep hovering over the Laowa 35mm f0.95 and the 28mm f1.2 too but I don't think I'll buy as I'm not a big user of 28mm and I have 4 Sony mount 35's and both these Laowa lenses are rather large. The build and IQ both appeal to me though.

I haven't had much time or opportunity for photography lately but one thing I'd like to do is try and compare the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 to the Pergear 35mm f1.4. My initial thoughts are that the Voigtlander is sharper at f1.4 and doesn't show field curvature to the extent the Pergear does. The V does seem to show more, I don't know what the term is, blooming maybe? with high contrast edges at f1.4 and may have a more funky bokeh at f1.4.

Comparing the TTA 50mm f2 and Syoptic f1.1, the Syoptic seems to be the better lens but it's twice the size and twice the price. The TTA 50mm is nice to use but the vignetting is off the scale when focusing at a distance at wide apertures and the corners are rubbish.

Last edited:
I'm not interested for reasons of size.

Good luck with yours and I'll look forward to reading your views and seeing some pictures :D
Well as you know that's exactly my issue. I am worried I'm going to regret it, but I think it's also a case of if I don't do it I'll always be wondering and as it came up for £500 off (after cashback) I doubt I'll ever get it cheaper without buying grey. At the end of the day I can always change again if I find it too much of a pain using it, albeit with a loss of money. I'm not going to sell the Samyang straight away as I don't want to lose money on that too if I buy another.

Well as you know that's exactly my issue. I am worried I'm going to regret it, but I think it's also a case of if I don't do it I'll always be wondering and as it came up for £500 off (after cashback) I doubt I'll ever get it cheaper without buying grey. At the end of the day I can always change again if I find it too much of a pain using it, albeit with a loss of money. I'm not going to sell the Samyang straight away as I don't want to lose money on that too if I buy another.
It's definitely the cheapest I have seen for UK stock.
I have at times seen them for £410 off when there is 10% off plus cashback together but never £500 down.

Just look at it as a rental cost if you don't end up keeping it :)

Does anyone use a Tamron 35-150 for action photography. The 24-70GM is a great lens for fairly static situations but If you zoom while focussing it is hopeless. I could sell the MK 1 and get the Mk2 but I am looking at the wider range of the Tamron and I would keep the Mk 1 for less dynamic situations. Does anyone use the Tamron or have any experience with the Mk2 24-70 with a subject coming at you and zooming to keep up with composition while focussing, The new 70-200 GM is fantastic at this so was hoping one of the two I mention will also be good

Local Tree - A7Riii, 24GM, MSM Tracked Panorama

*** by Lee, on Flickr
Really nice. If you're using a tracker I assume shots like this are a composite, i.e. a static shot for the foreground and then the tracked one for the sky?

That's amazing!

(I really should use the tracker I bought in lockdown....).

Really nice. If you're using a tracker I assume shots like this are a composite, i.e. a static shot for the foreground and then the tracked one for the sky?

You are killing it Lee. Love seeing your photos pop up, some serious dedication from yourself. Well done!

Thank you very much guys. Appreciated :)

I still want to do a test with the A7 vs the A7Riii at night tbh. There's just something that makes me feel the A7 files were better to work with! But it might be just that I've not shot really dark skies with the A7Riii yet......

And yes, I do always try to shoot the foreground and sky without moving the tripod but they do need to be shot separately because of the movement and blended with masking or sky replacement - I have been trying to use sky replacement lately and get used to that.

Is it possible to do this in 1 shot?

In camera, no stacking, no layering. Only adjusting contrasts and dodge and burn.

Is it possible to do this in 1 shot?

In camera, no stacking, no layering. Only adjusting contrasts and dodge and burn.
I think you can in olympus with their live composite but they're the only ones with this feature AFAIK.

I think you can in olympus with their live composite but they're the only ones with this feature AFAIK.

If this is when you set the camera to take and combine multiple pictures until you stop it I think some Panasonic cameras have a similar feature, my G100 does.

If this is when you set the camera to take and combine multiple pictures until you stop it I think some Panasonic cameras have a similar feature, my G100 does.
That’s the one (y)

Back