The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sony Alpha A7,A9 and A1 are not big to start with as a system in comparison to other full frame.

Not massively bigger than RX - weigh about the same without a lens (507g v 514g). Stick the 40mm f2.5 on there at 173g (or 35mm zeiss at 120g) and you have a decent size carry round. 30% lighter than the A1. Just wonder if Sony gone down this route of interchangeable having not updated the RX since 2015.

RX1Rii - 113 x 65 x 72 (507g)
A7Cii - 124 x 71 x 63 (514g)
A1 - 129 x 97 x 81 (737g)

The A6700 has already dropped £200 grey - the bigger the RRP the bigger the saving on grey. So hopefully both new A7C’s will drop fairly quickly.

Will get both A7CR and A7RV in the hand later in the year and make my decision. A7RV may drop a little further in price - leaves this camera less to lose if I sell later down the line.
Yeah it depends what you're comparing, you cna always make things smaller but you might not be comparing like for like. If you are (or as near as you can get) then there's quite a difference (y)

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 09.05.16.jpg

I have the A6700 which I presume is the same VF as the latest A7C bodies and despite having similar specs to the older A6xxx bodies is actually a decent improvement. Although the eyecup still comes off way too easily.

I have the A6700 which I presume is the same VF as the latest A7C bodies and despite having similar specs to the older A6xxx bodies is actually a decent improvement. Although the eyecup still comes off way too easily.

I've lost the eye cups twice, once in Vienna, which I back tracked and found it. The other in Japan, which I lost but bought a new one from Yodabashi for £10.

It's just one of those things that happens, although i've never lost the eye cups on my Canon for over 15 years of ownership before I switched.

Weirdly, never came off during a wedding.

Last edited:
Tamron 17-28 and £2k in my pocket is sooooo much a better buy. It's insane cost for a 16-35mm.

For the price of the new 16-35mm you can get this and still have change for a nice bag or tripod :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 17.24.09.png

The eyecups are a pain I lost so many with the 3rd gen bodies I started buying in bulk.

Not had the same issue with the 4th gen as yet.

For the price of the new 16-35mm you can get this and still have change for a nice bag or tripod :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 399872
Not an entirely fair comparison, as you're comparing grey with pre-order rrp.
The cheapest non-grey for the above is £2963.10, but you could get an A7iii or A7c plus the Tamron for pretty much that price.

Yeah it depends what you're comparing, you cna always make things smaller but you might not be comparing like for like. If you are (or as near as you can get) then there's quite a difference (y)
Even a small lens on the A7C just isn't that small compared to the RX1r, I was considering getting an A7C to replace my archaic RX1r but the A7C with the 28mm F2 is just too much bigger. The RX1r's lens already sticks out quite a bit which makes it awkward getting it into small spaces (I appreciate it's very small for what it is) so I wouldn't want to go any bigger. I think the RX1 is a great little camera but it didn't appear to sell well before there were the range of FE-cameras now so there'd be even less market now for one.

Not an entirely fair comparison, as you're comparing grey with pre-order rrp.
The cheapest non-grey for the above is £2963.10, but you could get an A7iii or A7c plus the Tamron for pretty much that price.

Oh I agree, was more a dig at the crazy price of the GMII than a real comparison.

Anyone listened to PetaPixel's podcast? skip to 30mins mark.

Without listening, and without checking, who can list all the bodies Sony currently sells, exclude cinema cameras or the FX30 or FX3 etc.

Just Alpha and Z-line.

Hint, there are 19 in total.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjrXBQhKUg

List in Spoiler

ZVE10
ZVE1

A6100
A6400
A6600
A6700

A72 (Why is this still being sold?!)
A73
A74
A75

A7C
A7C2
A7CR

A7R3a
A7R4a
A7R5

A7S3

A9II
A1

Why are they all still available? Just keep only the ones in bold would suffice?

Last edited:
Anyone listened to PetaPixel's podcast? skip to 30mins mark.

Without listening, and without checking, who can list all the bodies Sony currently sells, exclude cinema cameras or the FX30 or FX3 etc.

Just Alpha and Z-line.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjrXBQhKUg

List in Spoiler

ZVE10
ZVE1

A6100
A6400
A6600
A6700

A72 (Why is this still being sold?!)
A73
A74
A75

A7C
A7C2
A7CR

A7R3a
A7R4a
A7R5

A7S3

A9II
A1

Why are they all still available? Just keep only the ones in bold would suffice?
I don’t know what the Z line is but of the Alphas I’d imagine all barring the gen 1’s.

Rather than discontinue cameras, Sony instead choose to keep on selling them at a lower price to widen the price range of their cameras. The A7m2 is half the price of the A7m3 and around a third of the price of the A7m4 so it offers a much cheaper entry into FF cameras and while its featureset is dated, it's still capable of decent image quality. I still use an RX1r which I think has the older version of the A7m2 sensor and a more basic feature set but while it's not much use for some shooting, I still find plenty of use for it. Likewise the A6100 is less than half the price of the A6700 so it also offers a much lower cost of entry into the APS-C mirrorless market. At one point the A6000 and the A7m2 were Sony's biggest E-mount and FE-mount sellers plus with the cameras likely having long paid off their R&D costs they'll be good earners for Sony.

They have discontinued some older cameras like the A9mk1 and the A7S2 which I suspect is a lack of interest in them or they were concerned about cannibalising sales of other models.
I don’t know what the Z line is but of the Alphas I’d imagine all barring the gen 1’s.
The Z line are their 'vlogging' cameras, the ZVE1 is a much cheaper version of the A7SIII/FX3 in an A7C-ish body, the ZVE10 is a modified version of the A6100 and the non-interchangeable lens ZV1 is a video focused version of the RX100 series which now has a mk2 version and a fixed 20mm version as well. I believe the ZV1 has done very well so Sony have gradually increased the range of them.

Rather than discontinue cameras, Sony instead choose to keep on selling them at a lower price
That seems to be a long term policy of Sony, at least in the UK.

When Sony introduced their R1 "super bridge" camera, in 2003, the retail price was a penny or two short of £1,000. By 2007, the retail price was under £400, at which price it was an out and out bargain.

I bought one at the lower price and it served me well for several years.

Last edited:
That seems to be a long term policy of Sony, at least in the UK.

When Sony introduced their R1 "super bridge" camera, in 2003, the retail price was a penny or two short of £1,000. By 2007, the retail price was under £400, at which price it was an out and out bargain.

I bought one at the lower price and it served me well for several years.
It does take a long time for cameras to reach a reasonable price.

My comments regarding the EVF on the A7C is that it’s absolutely fantastic!

Having such a high quality EVF in such a small camera is a modern wonder. Yes you’ll find better ones in a larger camera but that doesn’t make the evf in the A7c bad.

The evf's on all my MFT cameras are useable with the G100 being by far the best and the GX9 being by far the worst as the angle you look at it has to be smack on and through the middle otherwise it's blurred. If the A7c EVF is as good as the better MFT ones that would be good enough for me.

For those who don't see the point of these cameras, I see a few points, they are slightly smaller as they lack the evf hump and they arguably don't obscure your face as much as a slr style camera could.

My A7 is still working so I see no need to buy another camera yet so I'll pass on the new A7c's but I would need to look at a few things if interested in buying. The evf, what happens when you hit 1/4,000... does it switch seamlessly to the electronic shutter or do you need to select it and I'd need to think about only having a mechanical shutter with efcs. I know this may only affect a tiny percentage of shots and any effect might only be visible when comparing pictures side by side but it is an imposed limitation. The front control wheel is imo a massive step forward for this line.

Last edited:
Recent pictures.

A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8. Cornfield.

1-DSC02961.jpg

On top of Roseberry Topping.

1-DSC03026.jpg

Roseberry Topping as seen from... er... the one opposite and I don't know its name :D and neither did anyone else I asked,

1-DSC03050.jpg

A7 and TTArtisan 50mm f2. The blue room at Saltburn.

1-DSC03240.jpg

The evf's on all my MFT cameras are useable with the G100 being by far the best and the GX9 being by far the worst as the angle you look at it has to be smack on and through the middle otherwise it's blurred. If the A7c EVF is as good as the better MFT ones that would be good enough for me.

For those who don't see the point of these cameras, I see a few points, they are slightly smaller as they lack the evf hump and they arguably don't obscure your face as much as a slr style camera could.

My A7 is still working so I see no need to buy another camera yet so I'll pass on the new A7c's but I would need to look at a few things if interested in buying. The evf, what happens when you hit 1/4,000... does it switch seamlessly to the electronic shutter or do you need to select it and I'd need to think about only having a mechanical shutter with efcs. I know this may only affect a tiny percentage of shots and any effect might only be visible when comparing pictures side by side but it is an imposed limitation. The front control wheel is imo a massive step forward for this line.
It’s strange I always wanted a front wheel on my Nikons but since all my Sony lenses have an aperture dial I would have no use for one now!

There are some decent deals on the A7CII in mainland Europe. Tempted to grab one while traveling at the beginning of October. I can get a Sony A7CII with the 16-35mm PZ for ~£2,500 on Fotokoch. When deducting the VAT and taking in consideration the cashback, it comes down to roughly £2070 for the camera and the lens.

There are some decent deals on the A7CII in mainland Europe. Tempted to grab one while traveling at the beginning of October. I can get a Sony A7CII with the 16-35mm PZ for ~£2,500 on Fotokoch. When deducting the VAT and taking in consideration the cashback, it comes down to roughly £2070 for the camera and the lens.

That looks to be a very good deal. Good luck with it if you decide to buy.

View attachment 399830
Agree - depends what you are comparing with and no apples with apples as there isn’t a like for like lens to compare. As an interchangeable lens system the A7C variant gives options to make the system as small or as big as you want to carry. Stick the smaller lenses on the A7c (24, 40 or 50G or 35mm Zeiss) and you get “closer” to the size of the RX1Rii. Still not a “pocket” camera but very portable when you compare to what you maybe carrying.

Definitely peaks my interest as a carry around street shooter. Share some of the mileage with my A1.

120DB512-2421-479C-828D-5A97ECBF7E4E.jpeg

C90102AE-2237-42B3-8293-170731873FEE.jpeg

Agree - depends what you are comparing with and no apples with apples as there isn’t a like for like lens to compare. As an interchangeable lens system the A7C variant gives options to make the system as small or as big as you want to carry. Stick the smaller lenses on the A7c (24, 40 or 50G or 35mm Zeiss) and you get “closer” to the size of the RX1Rii. Still not a “pocket” camera but very portable when you compare to what you maybe carrying.

Definitely peaks my interest as a carry around street shooter. Share some of the mileage with my A1.

View attachment 400016

View attachment 400017
Yep you can make it more portable, and we'll all have our own thoughts on whether it's worth it and there's enough difference (y) I've tried many a time to get a more portable setup that I'm happy with but failed every time :facepalm:

I just picked up a Megadap EZ221 to mount the Sony 20/1.8 G on my Z6. The Sony has an edge over the native s-line 20/1.8 lens partly because of size, weight and price but also on comma correction. It is a lens I really have wanted for some time to replace my old MF Distagon 21/2.8

Just for fun decided to try some cheaper and small FE lenses ( no real equivalent on Nikon Z yet - the 40/2 is ordinary - had it for a week and returned it, )

Started with the FE 28/2 - again a bright 28 is something I would like and no-one really has this in GM or Z s-line grade - the nearest Nikon is the 28/1.4E ( DSLR ). Really pleased with this lens and has been on my Z6 for weeks.

Just discovered the Samyang FE AF "Tiny" series - checked reviews MTF etc etc and got the 45/1.8. Amazing for the price - have had many MF Samyangs without the oft quoted QC issues. Having tried this out I think it will do for me for a standard walk around lens for "snaps". Build quality on these seems fine to me and the lack of G or GM feature set is not relevant when using on a smart adapter. I have to correct stuff in RAW since no in camera corrections in the Z body of course and I don't need any extra functionality on any lens FE or Z for that matter.

From limited experience with the 45, I have just ordered a ( used ) Samyang 24/1.8 so we will see how that does.

Having access to a range of decent and very very compact primes is really useful for me when travelling and also for some applications where I want the f2/1.8 aperture to give an edge on the Z f4 WA and standard zooms that I might otherwise use. The 2.8 trinity zooms are just too big, heavy and expensive - and not quite fast enough. Not willing to invest more in GM or s-line for these ocassional needs. In any case, if I really wanted GM's I would get a A7Riii or something rather than relying on an adapter.

Richard

Last edited:
An image from the R1: a town band, Mayrhofen in Austria in 2008...

Band Mayerhofen Austria R1_00820.jpg

It’s strange I always wanted a front wheel on my Nikons but since all my Sony lenses have an aperture dial I would have no use for one now!
Agreed, what with auto ISO and aperture controls on lenses zero use of a front dial. Even other lenses i just use the wheel on the back for aperture and the dial for shutter speed, or swap them.

Maybe it's because I'm getting old now and sort of set in my photography ways but controlling a much used major camera function with a thumb operated vertically mounted back wheel just feels so awkward and wrong to me plus I find them too easy to jog. Thankfully the only camera I have with this set up is my Panasonic G100 and every time I use it it confirms why I don't like this set up.

Good luck to those who can manage or even like this setup but it's just not for me.

PS.
Apart from my A7 I have a Fuji x100f and 4 MFT cameras. I think that's way too many and some should go, but what.

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I'm getting old now and sort of set in my photography ways but controlling a much used major camera function with a thumb operated vertically mounted back wheel just feels so awkward and wrong to me plus I find them too easy to jog. Thankfully the only camera I have with this set up is my Panasonic G100 and every time I use it it confirms why I don't like this set up.

Good luck to those who can manage or even like this setup but it's just not for me.

PS.
Apart from my A7 I have a Fuji x100f and 4 MFT cameras. I think that's way too many and some should go, but what.
I’ve always assigned aperture to the rear thumb wheel and shutter speed to the front. Whilst I use aperture priority most of the time If I do go manual then the rear wheel is no problem for me as I’m used to it. Don’t get me wrong I’d take a front wheel quite happily but until I get a lens without an aperture dial it would be redundant.

I’ve always assigned aperture to the rear thumb wheel and shutter speed to the front. Whilst I use aperture priority most of the time If I do go manual then the rear wheel is no problem for me as I’m used to it. Don’t get me wrong I’d take a front wheel quite happily but until I get a lens without an aperture dial it would be redundant.
I have shutter on the rear dial and apeture on the front (when using manual), however I've now got far more lenses with an aperture ring now so the front control wheel gets very little use these days. Still wouldn't have a camera without one though.

I have shutter on the rear dial and apeture on the front (when using manual), however I've now got far more lenses with an aperture ring now so the front control wheel gets very little use these days. Still wouldn't have a camera without one though.
I'm the same with the front and rear dials. I've quite a few lenses with aperture rings. They are all set to A and will likely never move. I find it much easier just using the front and rear dials and then I have the right click on the wheel to put me into setting iso

I'm the same with the front and rear dials. I've quite a few lenses with aperture rings. They are all set to A and will likely never move. I find it much easier just using the front and rear dials and then I have the right click on the wheel to put me into setting iso

All my lenses that have aperture rings have been taped down so that they don’t move from A. I find it much faster using the cameras dials.

All my lenses that have aperture rings have been taped down so that they don’t move from A. I find it much faster using the cameras dials.
Same for me. I suppose much of that is down to muscle memory but I can't imagine an aperture ring ever being as quick. I flirted with Fuji for a while but I ended up having to look at things to change settings. One of the best things about the Sony's for me is I can pretty much change every setting really quickly and without looking away from the action. I guess for a slower pace of photography it might be quite nice to have the old fashioned way of changing settings and I dare say I can see there would be a nice charge in that

Same for me. I suppose much of that is down to muscle memory but I can't imagine an aperture ring ever being as quick. I flirted with Fuji for a while but I ended up having to look at things to change settings. One of the best things about the Sony's for me is I can pretty much change every setting really quickly and without looking away from the action. I guess for a slower pace of photography it might be quite nice to have the old fashioned way of changing settings and I dare say I can see there would be a nice charge in that
I was always in favour of the control dial and locked the aperture ring (if possible) to A, but over the past couple of months or so I started using the aperture ring and now prefer it. I don’t know why and what’s changed :thinking:

My annual outing to Cadwell for BSB - this year making the Saturday practice. Still hundreds of images to work through. Mixed weather conditions. Cracking circuit - need to do a couple of days to get all the shots and angles and do it justice.

Terrible news today of the sudden passing of Paul Bird, owner of PBM the most successful BSB team at the very young age of 56. His team on to win the championship again this year with either Tommy Bridewell or Glenn Irwin. A massive loss to BSB and motorsport. RIP

0240D8D3-99CB-4053-AC9D-8E32ABB45637.jpeg49131EB6-A2BC-4D6C-9D68-C9566CD785DE.jpeg83E71166-3AD8-4CAA-9C24-891BCE1EFC22.jpeg855C7B3F-E342-4742-9863-28C7B757A044.jpeg2A350240-BF98-49AD-8363-13D301F8BFE2.jpeg

My annual outing to Cadwell for BSB - this year making the Saturday practice. Still hundreds of images to work through. Mixed weather conditions. Cracking circuit - need to do a couple of days to get all the shots and angles and do it justice.

Terrible news today of the sudden passing of Paul Bird, owner of PBM the most successful BSB team at the very young age of 56. His team on to win the championship again this year with either Tommy Bridewell or Glenn Irwin. A massive loss to BSB and motorsport. RIP

View attachment 400091View attachment 400092View attachment 400093View attachment 400094View attachment 400095
Nice shots, I didn't make it to Cadwell this year but we had the same mixed conditions last year too.

That's very sad about Paul, I've not read about that :(

Anyone got the Laowa 28mm f1.2 ?
What do you reckon. ?

Back