The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

We don’t use third party batteries either tried a few but not found any that can be relied on for Sony.
I know you have enough spares to power London but generally speaking, I only need one spare per body as hobbyist. So I have two spare and I don't even need use them most of the time. After buying bodies that cost many 1000s I don't see the point in saving pennies on batteries.

I know you have enough spares to power London but generally speaking, I only need one spare per body as hobbyist. So I have two spare and I don't even need use them most of the time. After buying bodies that cost many 1000s I don't see the point in saving pennies on batteries.

24 may sound like a lot but as mentioned above it is only one spare per body for each wedding day.

I have tried a few of the third party options and they have all been pretty crap.

When I shot Nikon I had quite a few third party batteries and they were fine in terms of lasting as long as oem but they they would develop faults eventually but they were so cheap it didn't really matter.

We often have weddings Friday/Saturday and during the busy months we can sometimes have 3/4 weddings a week, we try were possible not to book any more than that as having done weeks before we have shot 6 and 5 it becomes very draining physically. So any time saved can be a huge bonus and I really dislike charging anything overnight so having a lot of batteries really helps. When we get a busy period, my eldest looks after getting everything charged up and ready for us.

I have 6 Sony batteries and I will use 2 per outing when shooting wildlife, sometimes 3, so for me more the merrier

Les :)

If you look at my spider on dandelion (above, somewhere) I don’t think there are many focus issues ;)

Maybe not but it seems to be a genuine issue caused by...

Edit.
Just looked it up and it's spherical aberration which gives issues with AF-C. Apparently performance is better with AF-S. There's a lot about this on line for anyone who wishes to google it. I'm sure I read that with the later lenses in the same style they tamed the aberrations to improve the focus but this also reduces the lovely bokeh effect the 45mm is known for.

This probably wouldn't be an issue for me and doubtless some others but anyone looking at this lens perhaps needs to know about what could potentially be an issue to make a well informed choice.

Last edited:
Follow Up to the above problem with the A9. The Panamoz experience has been A1+, I sent email explaining what I had done, they replied same day within minutes and advised to send to Sony for cost of repair, Sony came back with a total of £173.09p, (to replace the mode dial but said it required a whole new unit hence the cost), I emailed Panamoz with costs attachment from Sony late yesterday afternoon and monies paid into my Paypal A/C this morning to cover everything so anyone who has any doubts about buying from Panamoz all I can say is forget your doubts 100%.
Yes I have purchased three items from Panamoz over the last couple of years and all have done what they are supposed to do at quite a saving from UK retail outlets. Russ.

Sony FDR-AX53 update

As this camcorder has the amazing inside floating gimble it doea create one drawback. However watching on youtube and making a bit of a suggestion alteration This issue is fixed. When panning as the lens on the gimble has to catch up it can show he edge of a lens hood on the side of the frames. So to make it look more professional and also can be used on a 77mm camera lens I purchased a rectangular hood (comes with a cover)wide enough to avoid this problem and it works. Now no stray sunlight will hit the lens , aslo retained the 55mm UV filter.

_DSC4763a.jpg
So what do you think? just waiting for a better "deadcat from Gutmann being made in Germany. Also that blue tack works holding that hotshoe flap up and out the way

Last edited:
All kicked off here in Trafalgar Square. Thousands upon thousands of people marching with flags, drums, whistles, about a variety of things, including anti vacciners.

Rent-a mob?

Some probably. Kicked off was the wrong wording.
It's all really nice and friendly, :) Never seen so many people, just a continuous stream. A lot of hippy types. Quite entertaining looking at the way people are dressed, what they're waving and what they're shouting through megaphones. :D A strong smell of incense sticks and weed in the air.

24 may sound like a lot but as mentioned above it is only one spare per body for each wedding day.

I have tried a few of the third party options and they have all been pretty crap.

When I shot Nikon I had quite a few third party batteries and they were fine in terms of lasting as long as oem but they they would develop faults eventually but they were so cheap it didn't really matter.

We often have weddings Friday/Saturday and during the busy months we can sometimes have 3/4 weddings a week, we try were possible not to book any more than that as having done weeks before we have shot 6 and 5 it becomes very draining physically. So any time saved can be a huge bonus and I really dislike charging anything overnight so having a lot of batteries really helps. When we get a busy period, my eldest looks after getting everything charged up and ready for us.

Yeah I’ve got a few with 4 in a week with hotel stays in between. Not ideal preparation time.

First attempt at shooting Ospreys today and first real attempt from a hide. One drop in over 5 hours and I missed the impact as I was too slow. Just grabbed the fly away. Not sure if I would give them the money again but I did enjoy photographing the Heron

A9_03411 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A9_03168 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A9_03184 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A9_03257 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A9_03323 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A9_03371 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A9_03136 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

First attempt at shooting Ospreys today and first real attempt from a hide. One drop in over 5 hours and I missed the impact as I was too slow. Just grabbed the fly away. Not sure if I would give them the money again but I did enjoy photographing the Heron

that's heron looks fierce, wouldn't mess with him!

Amazing shots, :) (y)

Great shots for a first attempt, I have not tried Osprey's yet but will be as soon as I get my camera back.
We went to Rothiemurchus fishery. The set up was pretty good and the guide alerted us to any Ospreys overhead but if they don't want to fish then it is a long 5 hours and very expensive. My big mistake was having my 100-400 set at 400mm. It was too tight to get the bird in frame and it all happened so fast that I only caught up with the bird as it left. I might give it another go but my money would probably be better spent elsewhere

Excellent set.

We have somehow attracted a very friendly and trusting pigeon which just plods around us and the children without a care in the world! So I thought I'd grab my 24-105mm and wow, people weren't wrong to say that you still need to be close even with something like a 600mm. The pigeon was less than a metre away from me and 105mm was only just enough. Bird eye AF didn't work though which was annoying and my shutter was too slow at 1/250 for that bobbing head.

This was the best I got unfortunately.

Pigeon.jpg

We went to Rothiemurchus fishery. The set up was pretty good and the guide alerted us to any Ospreys overhead but if they don't want to fish then it is a long 5 hours and very expensive. My big mistake was having my 100-400 set at 400mm. It was too tight to get the bird in frame and it all happened so fast that I only caught up with the bird as it left. I might give it another go but my money would probably be better spent elsewhere
Fab pics.

How much was it?

I'm looking for a new 128GB or 256GB memory card for my a7R IV.

I don't mind spending the money if it's worth it.

Real world, has anyone tested shots per second and buffer clearing with different speed cards? I've seen the different write speeds... But just trying to understand how that reflects in camera performance.

Cheers

Fab pics.

How much was it?
It was 95 quid but it goes up to £130 from 1st June. My mate went the night before too and had 6 drops. If I had got that I would probably have felt it was worthwhile but I walked away feeling like a rich landowner had picked my pocket. Scotland is getting worse and worse as it becomes more and more popular with tourists. It used to be a great place to come, cheap attractions and accommodation and the place to ourselves. The people running the attractions know the demand is there and prices are getting silly. OK if you are from London maybe but pricing many out of these experiences.

A7 and Sony 35mm f2.8 sometimes plus No.4 close up filter.

What a lovely day :D

FJPUBa4.jpg

aXa97zn.jpg

There and back was 11k steps.

Last edited:
That silver A6000 is still in the classifieds.

On the subject of the for sale section... Does anyone else keep looking even though you don't want anything? It can't only be me :D

That silver A6000 is still in the classifieds.

On the subject of the for sale section... Does anyone else keep looking even though you don't want anything? It can't only be me :D
You are right, I get a notification for every post - just in case....

I've been looking for a used Batis 40 but the 2nd hand prices are just crazy right now, for an extra 100 I can buy new from Panamoz which I might end up doing...

It was 95 quid but it goes up to £130 from 1st June. My mate went the night before too and had 6 drops. If I had got that I would probably have felt it was worthwhile but I walked away feeling like a rich landowner had picked my pocket. Scotland is getting worse and worse as it becomes more and more popular with tourists. It used to be a great place to come, cheap attractions and accommodation and the place to ourselves. The people running the attractions know the demand is there and prices are getting silly. OK if you are from London maybe but pricing many out of these experiences.
I’ve been to the Osprey hide in Rutland. Their setup seemed to be based upon the Rothiemurchus fishery as that’s well known to be probably the best set up in the UK.

I think a lot of it is luck of the draw when booking in advance. There are so many variables that can affect the ospreys fishing. Weather can play a big part too if the previous day was good hunting weather.

I had a similar experience at Rutland. There was only one dive in 5/6 hours and is wasn’t really in the right place as the backgrounds arent as good at Rutland. It was late in the day when the light had pretty much disappeared. We were lucky in that one of the guys in the hide had been several times before and did all the radio work. Without him I think most of us would have missed it. Sometimes I feel the best strategy would be to book several days in a row at these places but cost can be the deciding factor. Single days are always one hit wonders.

Last edited:
Back