The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Picking up Tommy's point, when I did weddings I'd plan a lot, and it just helped to know I'd prepared in my head. I never did enough to get to the routine stage.
Whenever I have a wedding booked I suffer anxiety for the week leading up to it, almost had a little road incident on the way during a lapse of concentration, had to make an emergency stop.

Sorry to hear it Tommy, my wife lost her Dad in a car incident - it's hard.

I feel like I should wait a day now.. but I've feel like I've been holding my breath for a week and I can finally now breathe.

Whenever I have a wedding booked I suffer anxiety for the week leading up to it, almost had a little road incident on the way during a lapse of concentration, had to make an emergency stop.

However when I get there the people were lovely, the location was lovely, the photos are lovely - I look forward to when I can stop worrying about it and just trust in myself to figure it out on the day.

50 1.2 GM + 24 1.4 GM

View attachment 351980View attachment 351981View attachment 351982View attachment 351983View attachment 351984View attachment 351985View attachment 351986View attachment 351987View attachment 351988View attachment 351989View attachment 351990View attachment 351991View attachment 351992View attachment 351993View attachment 351994View attachment 351995View attachment 351996View attachment 351997
Great photos !! - You had some very nice soft light for those outdoor shots :)

Some more photos from the Donington Historic Festival found here if you're interested

Hi. not sure if this is the best thread to post this question so please delete or move if it isn't.

I'm considering moving from Nikon to Sony and I assume in this thread nobody will tell me that a bad move :)

I'm looking at the A7 IV and am undecided on if getting it with the kit lens is wise or not, I can buy the kit but need to dispose of of Nikon on kit before I can invest in decent glass.

So is it worth the additional £200 to get going or should I just bite the bullet wait a month longer until I have offloaded the Nikon stuff and get something like the Sigma 28-70 2.8 ?

Hi all, bit of advice needed. I’ve been shooting with Sony for years, initially on A mount but transitioned over to an A7rii a few years ago. I recently upgraded to an A9 and am also thinking of swapping my Batis 135 for a 70-200.

The new GMii is out of reach price-wise, but weighing up the 70-200 f4 and original GM given that the used price of the GM is dropping rapidly. I also looked at the Tamron 70-180 but would prefer to stay with a Sony lens for the stabilisation.

There are loads of videos comparing the lenses in terms of sharpness, bokeh etc, but not much on AF speed. Has anyone shot both on an A9 (or A9ii) and how did they compare?

Hi All,

I have had a few outings with my new A6600 and I must say I am sad ! ! !
Sad, because the IQ is so much better than my Canon EOS 7Dii it makes me sad that my trusty 7Dii is showing its age !
An 8 Year old design, and sensor is struggling to compete with modern mirrorless cameras for dynamic range and IQ.
I will post so comparable images soon from my 7Dii and A6600. I am using my canon EF lenses with a sigma MC-11 adapter and the eye AF performs very well. The cost of GM Sony glass is too much for me to spend in these difficult economic times.

I use the flexible spot mostly which still has Eye Af over ride in and near the flexible spot.
Is there any option were I can have eye AF detect any where on the screen while in flexible spot ! ?

A nice little scene from 'tuther day.

Clunker and 35mm f2.8.

Baj3p5V.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have had a few outings with my new A6600 and I must say I am sad ! ! !
Sad, because the IQ is so much better than my Canon EOS 7Dii it makes me sad that my trusty 7Dii is showing its age !
An 8 Year old design, and sensor is struggling to compete with modern mirrorless cameras for dynamic range and IQ.
I will post so comparable images soon from my 7Dii and A6600. I am using my canon EF lenses with a sigma MC-11 adapter and the eye AF performs very well. The cost of GM Sony glass is too much for me to spend in these difficult economic times.

I use the flexible spot mostly which still has Eye Af over ride in and near the flexible spot.
Is there any option were I can have eye AF detect any where on the screen while in flexible spot ! ?
The A6600 is itself 3 years old...

Hi. not sure if this is the best thread to post this question so please delete or move if it isn't.

I'm considering moving from Nikon to Sony and I assume in this thread nobody will tell me that a bad move :)

I'm looking at the A7 IV and am undecided on if getting it with the kit lens is wise or not, I can buy the kit but need to dispose of of Nikon on kit before I can invest in decent glass.

So is it worth the additional £200 to get going or should I just bite the bullet wait a month longer until I have offloaded the Nikon stuff and get something like the Sigma 28-70 2.8 ?

As far as kit lenses go it's not bad, but it's not a £200 lens and sells regularly for £100ish. Personally I would wait and go body only and then add the Sigma/Tamron lens. Less messing about and both are very good lenses.

I have the 28-70mm kit lens and I think it's a good lens as kit lenses go and perfectly adequate if you can live with the aperture range but people with high resolution sensors will no doubt pixel peep and see weaknesses. f2.8 zooms will be better but also bigger, heavier and more expensive.

As far as kit lenses go it's not bad, but it's not a £200 lens and sells regularly for £100ish. Personally I would wait and go body only and then add the Sigma/Tamron lens. Less messing about and both are very good lenses.

What Nikon kit do you have as that is also a deciding factor to make a switch to another system or not ! ?

What Nikon kit do you have as that is also a deciding factor to make a switch to another system or not ! ?
Pretty old stuff really I got rid of the proper glass a few years ago when I lost interest so now just have D600, 24-120 F4, 85mm 1.8G, SB 600. I was originally contemplating a Z6II but have been hankering after Sony for a while.

The A6600 is itself 3 years old...

The IQ is pretty good and better than my 7dii as I believe the main factors no AA filter and no calibration needed for lens AF on the A6600, even though it is 3 year old tech !

Last edited:

I've seen in your other post that you've considered the Z6-II, is there a reason you fancy Sony over Nikon? If you went Nikon you could use your old lenses on the Z6 (with an adapter) whilst waiting to offload your stuff. If you're dead set on the Sony then the 28-70mm performs well stopped down, but nothing stellar and if it's only a stop gap I'd say you'd be better of waiting and not losing money on it.
Hi all, bit of advice needed. I’ve been shooting with Sony for years, initially on A mount but transitioned over to an A7rii a few years ago. I recently upgraded to an A9 and am also thinking of swapping my Batis 135 for a 70-200.

The new GMii is out of reach price-wise, but weighing up the 70-200 f4 and original GM given that the used price of the GM is dropping rapidly. I also looked at the Tamron 70-180 but would prefer to stay with a Sony lens for the stabilisation.

There are loads of videos comparing the lenses in terms of sharpness, bokeh etc, but not much on AF speed. Has anyone shot both on an A9 (or A9ii) and how did they compare?
I've used the Tamron on the A9-ii and AF speed was very fast, the only area it struggled slightly was with my dog running towards the camera but even then it wasn't bad. Every lens seems to struggle with out dog for some reason :LOL:

Works for me ;)

I've gone off the idea as if I got one I'd probably use it as much as I do the 28-70mm, and that old lens is adequate for a day out. If anyone is in the market for a standard f2.8 zoom this one will I suppose be the best one in Sony mount.

So my Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 arrived today.
Really happy and pretty much blown away by the sharpness at 180mm F2.8. I hired a Sony 70-200 F4 over the BH and it's sharper than that was at F4 !

My Sony prime 55 and 85 F1.8's are on eBay, and I will be getting the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 G2 to go along side the 70-180.

I've just bought the Tamron 70-180 after extensive research looking at the Sony 70-200 F4 and F2.8 and MKII versions.

I'll be mainly using it for sports - football and karting, so focus speed was critical for me. check this video out for focus testing.

View: https://youtu.be/7MyV5ntef3E

Last edited:
Really happy and pretty much blown away by the sharpness at 180mm F2.8. I hired a Sony 70-200 F4 over the BH and it's sharper than that was at F4 !

My Sony prime 55 and 85 F1.8's are on eBay, and I will be getting the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 G2 to go along side the 70-180.

I've just bought the Tamron 70-180 after extensive research looking at the Sony 70-200 F4 and F2.8 and MKII versions.

I'll be mainly using it for sports - football and karting, so focus speed was critical for me. check this video out for focus testing.

Thanks, how does build quality compare?

I recently bought it for it's size, weight, aperture & filter size :)

Thanks, how does build quality compare?
Build quality doesn’t match Sony but it’s still very good. It does have an extending zoom which bothers some people.

It's a great lens for the money but the focusing is a good bit behind the Mk2 especially shooting into the light.

Thanks Bob- really loving the a9 :)

Shame as I have a touch of Flu and can't wander too far just now :)

I keep thinking about upgrading to an A9 but I worry that my A7iii with approx 150k shots won't sell for much......

Back