The Backpacking Photographer Series

An enjoyable read, enjoy the rest of your trip and stay safe. Look forward to the next blog.

Struggling to upload much to my site due to a poor connection. Here's the sunset last night at U Bein Bridge, Amarapura

383461_285419108207768_100002190447992_669687_1253688984_n.jpg

Hello James,

Where are you headed in Myanmar? I presume a border region if you are going with Plan?

Today I went trekking on my own to a small Shan settlement four hours walk from hispaw, Internet is really poor here but I will be in Mandalay tomorrow so should be able to get all my posts up from the last few days!

Hey Jacob, I honestly have no idea yet. Apparently we are working with a very remote community, but thats all I know at the moment. As soon as I have details I will let you know.

Good luck with the trip, I look forward to reading more :)

Having serious issues with upload speeds, can't get anything up atm. Will be in Thailand in 6 days so will post all the backlog up asap. Last few days spent at Inle Lake, Shwedagon Paya, Golden Rock at Kaiktiyo and Moulemein. This country is unreal and I can't believe I have less than a week left. Hopefully everyone will bear with the delays as I have some good stuff to post up!

Forget about the uploads.

Enjoy your holiday, enjoy taking pictures. Upload it all when you get back to UK.

:):):)

Forget about the uploads.

Enjoy your holiday, enjoy taking pictures. Upload it all when you get back to UK.

:):):)

I totally agree Sam....Jacob should be enjoying what for many would be the opportunity of a lifetime....:cool:

I totally agree Sam....Jacob should be enjoying what for many would be the opportunity of a lifetime....:cool:

Have given up on posting anything until I get to Thailand now. Its the most amazing place and definitely I don't want to be sat behind a computer for 3 hrs a day! However I enjoy writing the blog posts as it forces me to make a diary of what I have done and also to edit my pictures which is great for when it is raining for 48hrs non stop like today! Also from the emails and messages I have received people seem to be enjoying it too which is always good! :D

Have given up on posting anything until I get to Thailand now. Its the most amazing place and definitely I don't want to be sat behind a computer for 3 hrs a day! However I enjoy writing the blog posts as it forces me to make a diary of what I have done and also to edit my pictures which is great for when it is raining for 48hrs non stop like today! Also from the emails and messages I have received people seem to be enjoying it too which is always good! :D

Maybe you can publish a picture book of your travels when you return....that would be a pretty good read judging from the blog posts so far Jacob! (y)

I enjoy reading your posts, they are much more engaging when written at the time, than when you get back.

When I'm away I try to blog most days, it's a good time killer on long transfers and down days. However, I don't tend to worry about processing images from my DSLR, I just upload images taken/processed on my phone.

Great stuff so far and very interesting to see some shots of Burma. I'm considering a trip there this year as part of a longer SE Asia adventure.

I agree with the other posters though, don't worry about uploading while you are travelling, just enjoy the places you're visiting. You'll have plenty of time to upload and edit shots back on a dull, wet Wednesday in the UK whereas you won't be in these amazing places forever. I fully intend to ignore the internet except to keep in touch with friends for my 5 month adventure later this year :)

Will be watching this with a keen eye as I've just booked flights for a 4 week trip to vietnam to hopefully do a similar thing although most likely a more amateur afair in terms of kit.

Have fun!

Hello everyone,

had the most amazing last few days down in the south east of Myanmar. Possibly one of the most diverse and troubled regions in terms of history. However as my prior experience of Myanmar was from the Thai border regions its exactly how I know it. The Karen and Mon people have hearts of gold and considering most live on less than $2 a day, they are forever trying to give you food etc.

I fly into Bangkok tomorrow morning where I will then travel to the border region to start my multimedia documentary project. I have 4-5 days before the schools go back, which is where I start, so it gives me a bit of time to get everything tested and try to arrange some interviews and access to the refugee camps and stuff that I have in mind, that weren't arranged at home for various reasons.

If anybody is considering visiting Myanmar I think they should definitely go for it. However you really do need to read up on the subject and consider the effects you have as a tourist. You should aim to maximize the amount you give back to the people of Myanmar as they are the ones who need it most. You should also try and spread the money so that it can benefit as many people as possible. Traveling by local transport, eating local food and staying at family run guesthouses are the ways to maximize the amount of money going to the real people of Myanmar.

Any travel you do is going to effectively fund the government in some way, however my view is that if you can spend $1000 and less than $100 of that goes to the government you will be giving $900 to a country where the average income per person is less than $450 a year.

However as a country it is possibly the most diverse in the world. It has over 108 different ethnic groups which all speak different languages, it has terrain ranging from the desert like regions of Bagan all the way up to the highest mountains in South East Asia in the north (part of the himalayas). It borders Thailand, Laos, China, Tibet, India, Bangladesh and maybe some more but my memory is shot haha. The food is also a collaboration of indian, chinese and thai with curries, rice, noodles, soups. It really is a massive cooking pot of various ethnicity and cultures.

1000% reccomended and I'm kind of sad i'm leaving in less than 20hours as I feel I have not truly experienced it fully and I have covered a hell of a lot in the last 28 days!

Loving the updates so far. Seems like your having a great time! Just out of interest, are you carrying your camera gear whilst on day trips in your eagle creek daypack or do you have a specific camera bag as well as that?
Trying to get an idea of what I need for my trip in a few months.

Keep up the good work and have fun!

I always carry my camera on me, sometimes just my camera, sometimes my camera and maybe my 50mm in the eagle creek bag, but if I am taking out all/most of my kit it definitely goes in the Loka as it is much more comfortable, the eagle creek bag works well for an extra body or lens and the rest of your money/water/passport but I wouldn't put much else into it purely for protection sake. Thanks for the comments!

Really great project, Jacob.
I've been following with interest and am now seriously planning my route for a 4 month trip in the same region as you.
Loving the Myanmar stuff and very excited to get over there!

Really great project, Jacob.
I've been following with interest and am now seriously planning my route for a 4 month trip in the same region as you.
Loving the Myanmar stuff and very excited to get over there!

Hello Ben,

I will hopefully have a revised itinerary up in the next day or so which plots the route I would take if I went back there again, sort of learning from mistakes and all that :D

Hello Ben,

I will hopefully have a revised itinerary up in the next day or so which plots the route I would take if I went back there again, sort of learning from mistakes and all that :D

Good idea and really useful information too. Something most people wouldn't consider actually.
I'm reading through your Myanmar posts again today, trying to tie down exactly what we want to see and in what order :)

Hello steve

Like blue peter, here's one I made earlier (and forgot to upload to the post), ooops

These are how I have it set-up with an extra set of connectors, the rucksack straps would give you the same sort of thing (but they didn't have them when I set up my bag)

optech-0453.jpg

Last edited:
Hello steve

Like blue peter, here's one I made earlier (and forgot to upload to the post), ooops

These are how I have it set-up with an extra set of connectors, the rucksack straps would give you the same sort of thing (but they didn't have them when I set up my bag)

optech-0453.jpg

Hi Jacob...do you think the way you have the straps set up would be more secure than if using the Rucksack straps?

Hi Jacob...do you think the way you have the straps set up would be more secure than if using the Rucksack straps?

I think it would depend on the bag in question and the thickness of the webbing for the rucksack straps. However I don't think there would be much in it, but if I were to buy again I would get the rucksack straps just because they are easier to get on and off (y)

I think it would depend on the bag in question and the thickness of the webbing for the rucksack straps. However I don't think there would be much in it, but if I were to buy again I would get the rucksack straps just because they are easier to get on and off (y)

Its the Loka Jacob...

Hi Jacob, really loving your work out there, seems like your having fun and providing us with lots of useful info. Just a quick question as I mentioned earlier in your thread Im off travelling in a few months with my gear and was curious as to how you are finding security of your gear out there? Do you feel particularly nervous at all with high value stuff on you and are you using any precautionary methods such as locks etc (other than insurance)

Cheers and keep having fun!

David

Hello David,

I was actually considering this as a subject for my next post. So far I haven't once felt unsafe but fortunately so far I have been off the tourist trail working in some more remote regions where gear safety is less of an issue.

However in about a week and a half I will be heading to Chiang Mai to continue onto Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and China. Which due to the time I have will mean I have to mainly stick to the beaten path. This will invariably lead to an increase in thieves, scam artists and souvenir hawkers.

I tend to follow a few simple principles which make my kit harder to steal. You will never make it 100% theft proof but most thieves are looking for a quick grab so they will most likely go to the next poor souls bag.

I currently carry with me a Pacsafe Exomesh which I use to lock up my belongings when they are in my hotel room. I have small padlocks on all the zips on my bag, mainly for when I am moving from place to place on buses/trains etc. I always keep my camera on me even when I go to the toilet because without that I can't shoot any work. When on buses I demand that my photo bag remains with me. Between my legs and locked up, so that I can fall asleep in the knowledge it is safe. As it is a rucksack there isn't as much of a problem with bag snatchers but if you are using a sling/shoulder bag beware of this. Also beware that other travellers are just as liable to rob you as the little guesthouse domestic who cleans your room daily.

Despite this making it sound like the wild west it is definitely no more dangerous than shooting in cities here in the UK. Just use your head and you will be fine! Have a good trip and keep us updated!

All the best

Jake

Last edited:
Back