The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Interested in these cameras, but know bugger all about them so perhaps you owners can answer this question please

Do they have a sensor cleaning device although knowing nothing of their design perhaps the sensor isn't exposed. Just occurred to me what with all these different primes the lenses will be off and on quite a bit

If the answer to the above is no, do you see much sign of dust spots in your photos when used at smaller apertures

Thanks
Rich

Yep. Cleaner is built in. So far I've seen no dust bunnies.
But I only have the one lens.

Thanks Trevor, good to know

Cheers
Rich

I tried an x-t1 the other day. Sadly I was unimpressed with the viewfinder. Maybe after continued use I would get used to it but initial impressions weren't good.

I had mine on pre order,when i first got i felt a bit the same about the viewfinder,but after some use now i really like it :)

I tried an x-t1 the other day. Sadly I was unimpressed with the viewfinder. Maybe after continued use I would get used to it but initial impressions weren't good.

The viewfinder is impressive, the EVF on the X-T1 has the shortest display lag time (0.005s) of any EVF currently and the highest magnification of 0.77x that makes it even bigger than a Canon 1Dx or Nikon D4′s viewfinder. It’s so big that Fujifilm came up with 3 modes to use it. A full-screen mode which is just that, uses the whole 2.36 million dot real estate for display. Looking at recently exposed images in playback mode through the EVF is like sitting in a cinema and viewing your images on screen.

I initially thought could I really adapt to an EVF after years of using Nikons, Bronicas and Hasselblads ?, I did have reservations. It is a mind set thing and it does take a little while to adapt if you're not use to it. That said, Shooting Nikon FE/FM2s/ F3s back in the day, picking up the X-T1 was like picking up an old friend again so it wasn't an issue for me.

Interested in these cameras, but know bugger all about them so perhaps you owners can answer this question please

Do they have a sensor cleaning device although knowing nothing of their design perhaps the sensor isn't exposed. Just occurred to me what with all these different primes the lenses will be off and on quite a bit

If the answer to the above is no, do you see much sign of dust spots in your photos when used at smaller apertures

Thanks
Rich

There is a built in ultrasonic cleaner which activates and cleans the sensor every time the camera is turned off. The X-T1 isn't impervious to dust, with the lens removed and the internal components exposed dust from the atmosphere can find a way in. I haven't had any particular issues and I have taken quite a few frames with a variety of lenses but that said, I'm still very careful when I do change lenses as there is always that risk.

The optics on the prime lenses are so good that even a minute speck will play havoc, but most photographers will be aware of that.

Anyone got a glass-screen protector for the x-t1? I m looking for something that would cover the whole glass and not the display only

Assuming it's the same size as the Xpro-1, I have used a GGS protector size.3.0 which is an excellent fit. Top Tip, if ever needed to remove, use cotton to slide under one corner and use a sawing action to cut through the adhesive for removal. This way you wont scratch screen or body. I have used IPA then to clean up adhesive.

Assuming it's the same size as the Xpro-1, I have used a GGS protector size.3.0 which is an excellent fit. Top Tip, if ever needed to remove, use cotton to slide under one corner and use a sawing action to cut through the adhesive for removal. This way you wont scratch screen or body. I have used IPA then to clean up adhesive.

Thanks. That actual display is 3 inches but it is covered by a glass sheet that is wider. I m trying to find a GGS protector or similar to cover the whole glass sheet.

A friend who's a wedding tog got one recently and adores it. She cant believe how easy it is to shoot with. Shes coming from a d4. Hopefully i'll get a go on it.

I have owned my x-t1 for a short period now and I m really enjoying photography using it. My D800 on the other hand is having a good rest ;)

A quick question for you happy Fuji shooters...

I keep finding myself tempted but one problem I have is that CS5 puts a grid of dots over Fuji raws and as far as I know I can't get any updates for my raw processor. I really don't want to give Adobe any more money than is absolutely necessary and I don't want to sign up to the cloud or buy Lightroom, I trialled it and hated it.

So, what's the cheapest way to process Fuji raws? Is there a version of Elements that has a raw processor in it or is there something non Adobe that's reasonably cheap and with a gentle learning curve?

I keep finding myself tempted but one problem I have is that CS5 puts a grid of dots over Fuji raws and as far as I know I can't get any updates for my raw processor. I really don't want to give Adobe any more money than is absolutely necessary and I don't want to sign up to the cloud or buy Lightroom, I trialled it and hated it.

So, what's the cheapest way to process Fuji raws? Is there a version of Elements that has a raw processor in it or is there something non Adobe that's reasonably cheap and with a gentle learning curve?

Alan some folk are using Iridient Developer.

A few more options:-

1. I haven't done it myself as I don't have the knowledge, but some people have used an Exif editor to change the camera from an X-T1 to a X-E2. Apparently this works.

2. I know you said that you don't want to give Adobe any more money, thats a fair one. If you have a Mac. The latest version of Aperture 3.5.1 will support RAW files from the X-T1. I downloaded the update the other day and it works well. At £54.00 for the full program it's really good value for money. I prefer this to Lightroom 5.

It is only a matter of time before the X-T1 RAW files will be integrated in the next release from Adobe. It's already out there for the Creative Cloud users. Hope that helps.

Hi, You could download the free DNG converter from Adobe, this supports all the Fuji X cameras with the exception of the latest X-T1, which I'm sure will be added in the near future. If you don't mind converting your RAW files to DNG (there's no loss of quality) they can then be opened in CS5 without the grid of dots. Something I did before upgrading to CS6.

Hope this helps.

Come to think of it, you do get a DNG RAW converter on a CD with the camera in the box which supports the X-FT1. I did try it out, it works but it's very basic.

The Grid of dots is not a Fuji thing it is how you have set up your Adobe DNG raw converter. Under compatibility settings, you need to set the raw converter to "6.6 and later" for it to work properly with CS5 with out dots.

I had the same problem with CS3 and have to set it to 4.6 and later.

The problem is that the Adobe Raw converter is not forward compatible. And CS5 can not open newer camera files. ( well it sort of can but covers it with a dot grid)
So the process is to use the DNG converter to batch convert on all your shots. Then open them in photoshop CS5 which will open them in the raw converter as normal with no dots. You will lose no quality by using the DNG converter.

Adobe are constantly updating the DNG converter, I downloaded version 8.3.0.141 last week which is probably the latest. But always check, as they add data all the time.

Last edited:
duplicate.....................................

Last edited:
Come to think of it, you do get a DNG RAW converter on a CD with the camera in the box which supports the X-FT1. I did try it out, it works but it's very basic.

That just converts the RAF raw to a DNG It still needs a raw converter like light room or Photoshop To make the adjustments.

That just converts the RAF raw to a DNG It still needs a raw converter like light room or Photoshop To make the adjustments.

It won't be long before the next RAW update in Adobe CS5/6, but it's working just fine and dandy in Aperture at the moment. It allows you to convert the image from a RAW file, enhance it, manipulate it(do the whole Lightroom / Photoshop thing, except layers) and export it etc etc and even save it as a jpeg and publish it.

It won't be long before the next RAW update in Adobe CS5/6, but it's working just fine and dandy in Aperture at the moment. It allows you to convert the image from a RAW file, enhance it, manipulate it(do the whole Lightroom / Photoshop thing, except layers) and export it etc etc and even save it as a jpeg and publish it.

AFAIK CS5 raw will never be updated. Hope they do update it but I doubt they will.

Mine on its way back to Fuji to fix the light leak hopefully not to long,but knowing Fuji they will do a proper and get it back asap :)

The Grid of dots is not a Fuji thing it is how you have set up your Adobe DNG raw converter. Under compatibility settings, you need to set the raw converter to "6.6 and later" for it to work properly with CS5 with out dots.

I have DNG 8.3.0.141 and it was set to 7.1 and later. I've just tried 6.6 and later and it actually seems better than 7.1.

I will have another play with the various settings but stuidly I'd assumed that the later numbers were the better, but I should have remembered... This Is Adobe.

I have DNG 8.3.0.141 and it was set to 7.1 and later. I've just tried 6.6 and later and it actually seems better than 7.1.

I will have another play with the various settings but stuidly I'd assumed that the later numbers were the better, but I should have remembered... This Is Adobe.

6.6 relates to the version of Photoshop you will be reading it on,

which in this case is CS5.
CS5 knows nothing about how to read more recent versions of DNG filies, as they were not invented then.

AFAIK CS5 raw will never be updated. Hope they do update it but I doubt they will.

True... Adobe does not update the previous raw converter after a new version of photoshop come out.

Last edited:
I can open X-E2 files and process without dots (YaY!) but I can't open X-T1 files as I assume I'll need to wait for the next update to DNG.

It looks like the dot issue isn't going to be an issue so I can now look at Fuji as a possibility without having to buy a new processing package.

Great and thanks to those who responded to my question.
:D

I have sent mine back to Fuji my number is circa 41M049??. i have to say Fuji's response to this has been very good

This is the second time I have been through this process with Fuji, the first time was with a batch of X10's. Halo issues were detected on the sensor, they put a brand new one in. the whole turnaround process was about a week.

Had an email from Fuji to say that my Camera has been fixed yesterday. Delivered back to me today at 10.30. Excellent service from Fuji. All done and dusted within a week.

Better buttons?

A light leak has been identified on the very early models up to a certain serial number ( see back a couple of pages ), someone made a video and stuck it on Youtube shining a torch down the mic Jack during a long exposure, would you do this in the the real world?, probably no, but it's best to get it sorted. Fuji have come up with a modification. Later models are not effected.

Last edited:
My xt1 didn't have the light leak issue. The 4 way pad buttons are small and difficult to press but I m getting used to them, to be honest I don't mind them now. I don't think that Fuji is replacing them but it could be that whatever they are doing to fix the light leak issue is raising these buttons a tiny bit.

Hi, I'm feeling a little bit pleased as I've just joined the X-T1 clan today by part xing my X-E1. I've not had a chance as yet to give it a proper work out, hopefully that will happen at some point during the weekend. So far all seems pretty good and according to one of the other posts in this forum the serial number is after the ones that need the light leak problem sorted.

I'm probably just imagening it but the few test shots that I have had a chance to do seem to have a little bit more bite than the same shots using the same settings and lenses on my X-E1. I wonder if anyone else has the same opinion.

Back