The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Never had to do that before in the 11 years I have had Fuji X mount cameras. I usually format cards on my Mac then format in camera. I only ever take the cards out of the camera to update firmware. I have new cards for every new camera. I never swap cards between cameras either.
However all these things can change especially as the last firmware updates were driven by Fuji file structure incompatibility to handle more than 999 files on a folder on Mac.
Another thing to check tomorrow.
I've found a few quirks with SD cards and Fuji over the years. On the firmware issue it's important to delete any old firmware files from the Mac because the download always has the same name, so if you have an old file in your downloads folder then the new one is named with a (1) (2) etc. at the end and won't work until renamed. There's also an issue if you delete files from the SD card rather than in camera it can result in corrupting the rest of the files.

There is a problem on Firefox in that the .dat file extension is missing during download and therefore the camera flags up the ‘camera not found’ message. Worked on Safari for me but a PIA for a while!
Wow so Mozilla decide that we are all stupid and that they will remove the filetype of a downloaded file.!!!
This requires another rant on the Mozilla developer forum. This is completely ridiculous.

Thanks for spotting this as I hadnt. It must be something that arrived in Firefox v102.1

I've found a few quirks with SD cards and Fuji over the years. On the firmware issue it's important to delete any old firmware files from the Mac because the download always has the same name, so if you have an old file in your downloads folder then the new one is named with a (1) (2) etc. at the end and won't work until renamed. There's also an issue if you delete files from the SD card rather than in camera it can result in corrupting the rest of the files.
Yes Fuji is not being very clever as the firmware updates are just a single file without any end-user visual versioning help. I know the cameraa checks this in the upgrade process but it is really bad IT practice to not have some version control that is present other than internally.

Lightroom doesn't have

Sepia
Eterna Bleach Bypass
Classic Neg
Nostalgic Neg

Very strange.
That's weird because I see all of those from GFX files in LR & PS so I suspect it's an error, surely corrected with an update soon, teething issue I reckon.

I just tested the download in Firefox again as @imattersuk said it downloads with the filetype removed.
I added the .DAT filetype/file extension put the file on my SD card and applied the update.

Strangely the camera updated from the SD card even though it reported itself to be at v1.01 already as I had used Fuji Camera remote to do the update. This was not possible in the past with other Fuji cameras. Updated was completed successfully and so far it seems OK.
There seem to be changes in the process or protections (removed) that are required to protect the camera. I will need to contact FujiTech and inform them of this as either the update process via Camera Remote is defective or they have missed a check when the upgrade file is found.

Thanks to @imattersuk and @patr for spotting things that had slipped past me.
I do wish Mozilla produced proper release notes that stated what was changed!

When updating the firmware of anything, whether it be cameras, pc'c, Nas boxes, etal, it's always best not to use remote updates, yes, they do work, but not guaranteed to. As for downloading files, I used to use all sorts of browsers, but non work as good as good old MS Edge.

So, my method, which works every time is this:

Download via Edge, the firmware update
Just use one SD card, for me Sandisk cards always work, and format it in camera
Take the SD card and place it in a SD card reader attached to a pc, copy the downloaded firmware file FWUP0027.DAT to the SD card
Place card in camera, and do the necessaries

For me it works every time (y)

When updating the firmware of anything, whether it be cameras, pc'c, Nas boxes, etal, it's always best not to use remote updates, yes, they do work, but not guaranteed to. As for downloading files, I used to use all sorts of browsers, but non work as good as good old MS Edge.

So, my method, which works every time is this:

Download via Edge, the firmware update
Just use one SD card, for me Sandisk cards always work, and format it in camera
Take the SD card and place it in a SD card reader attached to a pc, copy the downloaded firmware file FWUP0027.DAT to the SD card
Place card in camera, and do the necessaries

For me it works every time (y)
That is my standard process on my Mac, I guess you are on Windows.
But the latest Firefox v101 or v102 has changed as it saved the update a just the filename with NO extension.
I cant find a place in the Preferences to change this.

In Safari the download works perfects and maintains the file extension.

I just noted on some of my RAF files downloaded from the XH2S since I used Fuji Camera Remote and tested the geolocation that the geolocation persists and is saved into the camera image EXIF even after the phone link is dropped. Normally in the past this was lost after 1-2 hours.
This means that you need to toggle the geolocation option otherwise it keeps saving your last used GPS data (and in consequent an error of location)..

One of my gripes with my X-H1 is how flakey the app is if I want to download any images to my phone - it very rarely works, and if it does it manages one, maybe 2 images then disconnects.
I did remove and download it again a while ago, same problem.
Anyone tried to do this with the X-H2, and with any success?

One of my gripes with my X-H1 is how flakey the app is if I want to download any images to my phone - it very rarely works, and if it does it manages one, maybe 2 images then disconnects.
I did remove and download it again a while ago, same problem.
Anyone tried to do this with the X-H2, and with any success?

It’s a common reported problem with the Fuji app being absolute crap. It’s not down to the camera.

Nor me. But according to the Rumour Mill it will come this September.
September. Blimey, obviously not something they think is important. I have friends who think I'm some clever chappie with a big camera but I can't post pictures on any sort of social media within seconds. In many ways not important, but it would be nice to be able to, before September....!

September. Blimey, obviously not something they think is important. I have friends who think I'm some clever chappie with a big camera but I can't post pictures on any sort of social media within seconds. In many ways not important, but it would be nice to be able to, before September....!
Did you use another Fuji camera previously with the app ? I found if so then deleting the app and reinstalling sorted a lot of the issues, agree that overall it's very poor.

Did you use another Fuji camera previously with the app ? I found if so then deleting the app and reinstalling sorted a lot of the issues, agree that overall it's very poor.
I've got an X-H1, only Fuji I've had and have deleted and reinstalled it without any improvement Pete.
It's not a major problem but when on holiday etc is is nice to share a few snaps taken on my camera rather than the phone....:grumpy:

Well, here we are again….. not used the X100V much in the last 6 months so I’m going to sell it. MBP are offering more than I expected so probably go with them.

All the best lads and lasses :wave:

H2 rumoured at $1999, so will be interesting :)

Loving the 2S. So this will definitely be on my Radar.
Sweet :)

How are you finding the handling? I have read a few bits, that peeps aren`t too happy with the joystick position, finding it a little awkward.

Sweet :)

How are you finding the handling? I have read a few bits, that peeps aren`t too happy with the joystick position, finding it a little awkward.
Really, mate it fits my hand like a glove. Everything seems to fall to hand very naturally .

Really, mate it fits my hand like a glove. Everything seems to fall to hand very naturally .

I am very tempted with the 2. Just need to get my head around the SPAM dial ;) Will wait for reviews (and bank balance) before I invest, in what probably will be my last camera body ;)

Mate the SPAM dial is no big deal. 7 custom settings is a big help.

Back