The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hold on there, don't lump all the m4/3 users in together. Much friendlier mob over at the Panasonic thread. ;) Can't be easy for the Olympus,OMS,OMDS or whatever lot. Driven crazy with their menu system and not even really knowing the correct name of the company who make their gear.
The thread in question....it's compulsory to post pics of birds and frowned upon to post pics of people, especially "birds" :ROFLMAO:

The thread in question....it's compulsory to post pics of birds and frowned upon to post pics of people, especially "birds" :ROFLMAO:
Don't like to admit it, but in general m4/3 seems to be in general a format for old farts.
Figures like this confirm my suspicions, taken from a DP Review Poll on their micro four thirds forum

POLL RESULTS
0-19
0.8%5 votes
20-29
1.6%10 votes
30-39
8.0%49 votes
40-49
12.3%75 votes
50-59
16.7%102 votes
60-69
31.2%191 votes
70-79
21.9%134 votes
80-89
6.2%38 votes
90 - ?
1.3%8 votes

Don't like to admit it, but in general m4/3 seems to be in general a format for old farts.
Figures like this confirm my suspicions, taken from a DP Review Poll on their micro four thirds forum

POLL RESULTS
0-19
0.8%5votes
20-29
1.6%10votes
30-39
8.0%49votes
40-49
12.3%75votes
50-59
16.7%102votes
60-69
31.2%191votes
70-79
21.9%134votes
80-89
6.2%38votes
90 - ?
1.3%8votes

Thank god I'm only 60 lol

Once the camera and 50mm arrive I will be taking many bird shots :D
I was at a family wedding a couple of years ago and my 86 year old father in law said "I used to have a film SLR camera, (long pause)......was great for getting upskirt shots" :ROFLMAO: Made me choke on my champagne, almost spat it out across the table.

Well the X-T3 and cracking kit lens have been dispatched, feel like a little kid waiting for his toy lol
Question for the members in here, I don't want to start buying so many lenses so out of the XF35mm f2 and the XF50mm f2 which one would you get. Only the one please.

I know it's too late but I'd have gone the other way. To get a 50mm FoV, you won't lose too many MP - you'll still have enough from the X-T3 for an A3+ print. Takes a bit more work to get a 35mm FoV from a couple of 50mm images.

We were up there a few weeks back, just before the festival. I had my Fuji...

On the X series AF and eye AF is pretty quick.

Personally I would correct this to say that on current generation cameras it is quick, on older cameras like X-T1/2 it’s good, but on the early cameras X-E1/X-Pro1 it’s quite pedestrian (but usually accurate)

The X-H2S is in a different league though and much faster in real world terms than X-T3/4

Personally I would correct this to say that on current generation cameras it is quick, on older cameras like X-T1/2 it’s good, but on the early cameras X-E1/X-Pro1 it’s quite pedestrian (but usually accurate)

The X-H2S is in a different league though and much faster in real world terms than X-T3/4
This

I did come very close to the X-H2S, but changed my mind for the X-T3.

Dave, the X-T3 with latest firmware will suit the type of photography you are doing- The X-H2S is aimed at video shooters and those who want to track fast moving objects quickly and have high burst rate shooting (ie sports/serious wildlife) - you have chosen well

Dave, the X-T3 with latest firmware will suit the type of photography you are doing- The X-H2S is aimed at video shooters and those who want to track fast moving objects quickly and have high burst rate shooting (ie sports/serious wildlife) - you have chosen well

I must admit I was very happy with my last X-T3, so really looking forward to having one again.

I'd be looking at general photography and pet photography for my dog. This is where I feel the Lumix AF let's me down. Auto focus on my little dog running around is poor. My G9 gets away with it to an extent as it has faster FPS, but I'm seriously considering getting rid of my S5.

I'm keeping my M43 set up but will make a decision after the photography show as to what I'm doing with my S5 (luckily I didn't invest too much in the system).

Last edited:
Curious question, after reading Donna`s @weebleswobble SD Card question (and the answers) ...

I don`t know if I`m in the minority on shooting one image at a time, and when said session is finished, dump the files on my PC, and do what I do etc. Hence I have never seemed to need anything larger than 32gb cards, even though I have it set as overflow to the second slot. I never as yet have needed it.

Pure curiosity is all :)

Can anyone suggest a theme/challenge for some street photography tomorrow? I used to absolutely love it, but for some reason the love has gone. I want to enjoy it, but I just don't anymore. A lack of time has slowed down my practice, and I've become too critical of my own work, and rarely even feel it is good enough to edit nowdays. I'm hoping to get up Glasgow tomorrow, and plan on breaking my rule of only taking one lens, to hopefully give me more options. Any suggestions for challenges, or tips for motivation would be much appreciated. I'll probably stick it on aperture priority, minimum 1/250th, max iso 3200 and not have to worry about settings. Planning on taking the 23mm f2 and sigma 56mm f1.4, so I could cover a wide range from architecture to portraits.

Curious question, after reading Donna`s @weebleswobble SD Card question (and the answers) ...

I don`t know if I`m in the minority on shooting one image at a time, and when said session is finished, dump the files on my PC, and do what I do etc. Hence I have never seemed to need anything larger than 32gb cards, even though I have it set as overflow to the second slot. I never as yet have needed it.

Pure curiosity is all :)
I am the same. Even if I am shooting sports all day I will struggle to fill a card.

Another Fox. Sorry guys ;)
Can`t really seem to lock down my MoJo at the moment. But these critters are helping a bit.

H1 100-400

Young Fox by Paulie-W, on Flickr

"Excellent" wildlife capture Paul, with a lovely stance and look from the animal.

Can anyone suggest a theme/challenge for some street photography tomorrow? I used to absolutely love it, but for some reason the love has gone. I want to enjoy it, but I just don't anymore. A lack of time has slowed down my practice, and I've become too critical of my own work, and rarely even feel it is good enough to edit nowdays. I'm hoping to get up Glasgow tomorrow, and plan on breaking my rule of only taking one lens, to hopefully give me more options. Any suggestions for challenges, or tips for motivation would be much appreciated. I'll probably stick it on aperture priority, minimum 1/250th, max iso 3200 and not have to worry about settings. Planning on taking the 23mm f2 and sigma 56mm f1.4, so I could cover a wide range from architecture to portraits.

Motivation is an issue i`m struggling with at the moment...

But for tomorrow, how about trying Petrol Stations? It`s different, and could relate to architecture, and people ;)

That's a lovely image Paulie.
Thanks, Dave (y)
"Excellent" wildlife capture Paul, with a lovely stance and look from the animal.
Thank you, George :) I hope you are well.
I am the same. Even if I am shooting sports all day I will struggle to fill a card.
Well I`m glad it`s not just me, then ;) I know cards are cheap, but I don`t think I have enough batteries to fill one of those big fellas up haha

Motivation is an issue i`m struggling with at the moment...

But for tomorrow, how about trying Petrol Stations? It`s different, and could relate to architecture, and people ;)

Thanks, Dave (y)

Thank you, George :) I hope you are well.

Well I`m glad it`s not just me, then ;) I know cards are cheap, but I don`t think I have enough batteries to fill one of those big fellas up haha
That's a good shout, I think I'd be more into that in low light. I'm hoping once we get the darker evenings I'll get out more too, I seem to remember it was October last year by the time I was out shooting low light.

That's a good shout, I think I'd be more into that in low light. I'm hoping once we get the darker evenings I'll get out more too, I seem to remember it was October last year by the time I was out shooting low light.

One thing I liked about petrol stations, was the lighting at dusk. I hairsprayed an old UV filter (cheap darkmist alternative lol) That worked pretty well I thought. Think theres a pic still on my flickr somewhere ;)

How about Barbers shops for during the day time?

** EDIT found a couple of pix **

Petrol by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Wet night in Hayes by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Last edited:
One thing I liked about petrol stations, was the lighting at dusk. I hairsprayed an old UV filter (cheap darkmist alternative lol) That worked pretty well I thought. Think theres a pic still on my flickr somewhere ;)

Great shots again Paulie, but totally love the 2nd image really old school looking shot.

Two very nice low light captures Paul, you've kinda got me thinking about fresh style shots.

"I didn't know you still used hair spray" :):)

Two very nice low light captures Paul, you've kinda got me thinking about fresh style shots.

"I didn't know you still used hair spray" :):)

Haha thanks, George ;)

Yeah tell me about it :) One plus point, is I don`t get "bed head" anymore.

Hairspray actually works pretty well, and there were a few good utube videos on it, and how much spray to use. Unless of course you want to fork out a crazy price for a real darkmist filter ;)

Back