The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Mount Yakedake, Kamikochi.

It's an active volcano and I wanted to climb it. We were there for the last few days of the season and they unfortunately they had already closed the trails, and for that particular trail the very start is a big vertical climb of several ladders roped together - not much we could do without those! (Google image search "Yakedake ladders" to see what I mean!)

Kamikochi by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Pointed my X-H2S at some rally cars at the weekend, and I am loving the autofocus improvements compared to my X-T2:
Did you use the 'Car' detection setting Lewis, it's very good, very fast to lock on. The 'bike' setting is also pretty good - last year at Oulton it was locking focus on biker's helmets. :)

Yes - I had subject detection mapped to a button so that I could turn it off quickly if needed, but it was good. I was shooting at 15fps and it missed a few frames.

I wasn't that impressed when I tried the bike mode at a downhill mountain bike race last year when I borrowed an X-H2S from Fuji, I found that it needed some time to lock on to the biker before it worked. I haven't been able to get to any bike races since buying this camera though.

Anyone here got experience of the Fuji 27mm 2.8 WR. I’m thinking of getting one for my T4 and just wondered what the AF performance is like. I’m wanting it to be an everyday lens to pop on to take to the park to get pics of the kids.

I’ve got the Viltrox 27mm 1.2 which is stunning but just wanted something for when I can’t be bothered taking the big lens

Anyone here got experience of the Fuji 27mm 2.8 WR. I’m thinking of getting one for my T4 and just wondered what the AF performance is like. I’m wanting it to be an everyday lens to pop on to take to the park to get pics of the kids.

I’ve got the Viltrox 27mm 1.2 which is stunning but just wanted something for when I can’t be bothered taking the big lens
I haven't tried the WR, but I had one of the original 27mm pancakes back when I had my X-T20, and the AF on that was on a par with the XF 18-55 I reckon.

EDIT: just had a thought - you can do a free two-day hire to test it from Fujifilm House of Photography.

Last edited:
Just ordered Fuji battery for my X t5 from Bristol Cameras £48 inc delivery

That was my first thought too.

Or at least I hope you don't need it before autumn!
Did you get it yet? I need a second battery for my X-H2S, and found this, and thought it might be too good to be true - it sounds like it might be.

I am also after an L bracket. It seems like the options are Small Rig or a no name one from eBay/Amazon. Has anyone bought a no-name one that is good?

Did you get it yet? I need a second battery for my X-H2S, and found this, and thought it might be too good to be true - it sounds like it might be.

I am also after an L bracket. It seems like the options are Small Rig or a no name one from eBay/Amazon. Has anyone bought a no-name one that is good?

What about one of these:

I've been impressed with everything I've had from 3LT, including one of the Ellie universal L-brackets when I had the FZ2000. Their customer service is excellent, too.

That's for X-T5, but might drop them a line and ask about X-H2(S), as I like their stuff. I thought they only did universal brackets.

Last edited:
Thanks, I don't have one for the X100V, it isn't really a tripod sort of camera.

That's for X-T5, but might drop them a line and ask about X-H2(S), as I like their stuff. I thought they only did universal brackets.

Sorry dude, for some reason I completely missed the bit where you put X-H2, and assumed you had a T5 o_O

I had an Ellie Short on my FZ2000 and it worked well.

Having a mooch around LCE Chester this morning ,
" Oh, what's the lead time on a x100vi then.?." - "Three to six months sir.. .. . . and you have to pay a £150 deposit to get on the list . . "

In the time honoured News of the World reporters tradition I made my excuses and left...

Last edited:
Having a mooch around LCE Chester this morning ,
" Oh, what's the lead time on a x100vi then.?." - "Three to six months sir.. .. . . and you have to pay a £150 deposit to get on the list . . "

In the time honoured News of the World reporters tradition I made my excuses and left...

It was just £50 on the morning when it was announced, but when I asked in person if I can just deposit £100. They said yes.

Also, that money goes towards the balance and also, if you decide to cancel, you get it back. They also told me the same spiel about order time, I got it in 4 weeks.

It was just £50 on the morning when it was announced, but when I asked in person if I can just deposit £100. They said yes.

Also, that money goes towards the balance and also, if you decide to cancel, you get it back. They also told me the same spiel about order time, I got it in 4 weeks.
LCE Worcester was £150 on announcemnt day. Decided not to do it, pre order cost is not for me.

LCE Worcester was £150 on announcemnt day. Decided not to do it, pre order cost is not for me.

It's not a cost for pre-order, it's like buying something and paying upfront. Instead of taking all your money up front, they are asking for 9%.

Playing devil's advocate.

I know the ideal scenario is to place an order without taking any money from you. But they would need to order the camera from Fuji themselves and if you cancel (which you get your money back), they would have "excess" stock. Dead stock is money wasted. I know it shouldn't be a problem for this camera but from a business perspective, you have to take some precaution whenever possible.

Last edited:
It's not a cost for pre-order, it's like buying something and paying upfront. Instead of taking all your money up front, they are asking for 9%.

Playing devil's advocate.

I know the ideal scenario is to place an order without taking any money from you. But they would need to order the camera from Fuji themselves and if you cancel (which you get your money back), they would have "excess" stock. Dead stock is money wasted. I know it shouldn't be a problem for this camera but from a business perspective, you have to take some precaution whenever possible.
Yep, that's near enough what they said. You can see their reasoning.
On the other hand, WEX online take your order but don't actually charge until they have a camera on the way in.
I'm sure with the demand, there'd be no shortage of buyers for LCE to sell unwanted cameras to, because as they said for the x100v they sold all their stock to people on waiting lists and none from the store shelves !

Yep, that's near enough what they said. You can see their reasoning.
On the other hand, WEX online take your order but don't actually charge until they have a camera on the way in.
I'm sure with the demand, there'd be no shortage of buyers for LCE to sell unwanted cameras to, because as they said for the x100v they sold all their stock to people on waiting lists and none from the store shelves !

Wex are taking pre-orders without fee but I also know someone else both got their X100VI from LCE in about a month. It seems to me the waiting list for LCE is shorter. Perhaps less people want to put down a 10% payment up front and thus shorter wait time in the end. Just guessing.

p.s. When I ordered they told me 3 months wait, I didn't order on day 1, I ordered about 5 days after the pre-orders opened.

Last edited:
Wex are taking pre-orders without fee but I also know someone else both got their X100VI from LCE in about a month. It seems to me the waiting list for LCE is shorter. Perhaps less people want to put down a 10% payment up front and thus shorter wait time in the end. Just guessing.

p.s. When I ordered they told me 3 months wait, I didn't order on day 1, I ordered about 5 days after the pre-orders opened.
Ordered 6th March at LCE Derby, paid £320.00 refundable deposit...ever hopefull!
Ordered a black one if it makes a difference.

Morning all

I’m aware that some of you lucky ones have managed to get your hands on the X100vi.

As I stated previously I’ve joined the queue on the 16th March and obviously no sign of delivery on the horizon yet. As you can appreciate the wait is not good!

So as they say the devil makes work for idle hands, I have been looking at alternatives, specifically the Sony A7C ii or the A7CR, partnered primarily with a FE35 2.8 which I already own.

A bit of background - my main camera is a A7RIV and about 10 lenses (a mixture of FE and A mounts). My reason for looking at the X100vi is to have a camera that would be part of my EDC kit used on country walks, city strolls - at present I’m just using my iPhone 15 Pro on these occasions. Now retired I’d like to get back into photography again if you know what I mean.

So the purpose of this post is to ask for your first impressions of the X100vi. Is it worth the wait? Has it met your expectations? Any issues or limitations?

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Last edited:
Morning all

I’m aware that some of you lucky ones have managed to get your hands on the X100vi.

As I stated previously I’ve joined the queue on the 16th March and obviously no sign of delivery on the horizon yet. As you can appreciate the wait is not good!

So as they say the devil makes work for idle hands, I have been looking at alternatives, specifically the Sony A7C ii or the A7CR, partnered primarily with a FE35 2.8 which I already own.

A bit of background - my main camera is a A7RIV and about 10 lenses (a mixture of FE and A mounts). My reason for looking at the X100vi is to have a camera that would be part of my EDC kit used on country walks, city strolls - at present I’m just using my iPhone 15 Pro on these occasions. Now retired I’d like to get back into photography again if you know what I mean.

So the purpose of this post is to ask for your first impressions of the X100vi. Is it worth the wait? Has it met your expectations? Any issues or limitations?

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Does it have to be a vi? From what I gather there is a bigger jump from f to v than there is from v to vi - I might be wrong, I've not actually looked into it, just what I've picked up from scan reading and YT.

Morning all

Thanks in advance.

Jake
I don't have an X100VI, but you're comparing Apples to Oranges there - the Sonys you mention are full frame cameras whilst the X100 series is APS-C. So there's that.

At the end of the day, you buy a Fuji for the handling and the immediacy. Everything else is just specs. You can get the Fuji look by editing in Lightroom or similar - at the end of the day the JPEGs from a Fujifilm are just the RAWs altered in camera by Fuji's custom filters.

The magic is in the handing of the camera, the experience of shooting with it. So whilst I can't comment on the X100 itself, I can say that I'm not interested in shooting anything other than Fuji because I like the experience. I like the way they handle, the way the dials are and so on.

If I were you, I would do what Lee suggests and look for something like the X100V instead, or maybe even an earlier one - just to see if its something you're interested in. But if decided to make use of your existing Sony lenses and get an A7xxx body, you're certainly not going to be taking worse pictures :)

Morning all

Thanks in advance.

Jake
It might help to put your options on camerasize.com, as although you will have a retro styled camera with the same sort of images achievable, it will be much bigger than an X100VI.

Thanks Lee, ColourofSound, and CraikeyBaby

I take your point regarding one of the previous versions and seeing if I get on with it. The reason for going for the new version was the jump primarily in resolution and, as I don't change equipment frequently, a bit of future-proofing.

I haven't used any Fujifilm equipment since film era so yes trying an older model makes sense. However I also reckon that if I don't 'bond' with the vi then I should be able to move it on without suffering much of a loss.

I have a Sony RX100IV with I thought would've suited my needs but although it's a good camera I find it just too small for me to treat other than a point-and-shoot camera and my iPhone more than covers that base.

Reading reviews of the X100VI I'm coming across comments regarding poor AF especially with moving subjects. This may be a deal breaker as I have a 5 year old grandson running around the place.

I have compared camera sizes of the the models and the Sony ones will be definitely be deeper with the FE35 attached but not a lot - 30mm or so.

I suppose truly the only way I'll fully know if it suits me is to try it myself.

The wait continues then (or I'll give him and buy one from eBay).

Thanks

Jake

I take your point regarding one of the previous versions and seeing if I get on with it. The reason for going for the new version was the jump primarily in resolution and, as I don't change equipment frequently, a bit of future-proofing.

I haven't used any Fujifilm equipment since film era so yes trying an older model makes sense. However I also reckon that if I don't 'bond' with the vi then I should be able to move it on without suffering much of a loss.

I have a Sony RX100IV with I thought would've suited my needs but although it's a good camera I find it just too small for me to treat other than a point-and-shoot camera and my iPhone more than covers that base.

Reading reviews of the X100VI I'm coming across comments regarding poor AF especially with moving subjects. This may be a deal breaker as I have a 5 year old grandson running around the place.

I have compared camera sizes of the the models and the Sony ones will be definitely be deeper with the FE35 attached but not a lot - 30mm or so.

I suppose truly the only way I'll fully know if it suits me is to try it myself.

Thanks

Jake
The other option for a point-and-shoot style is the Ricoh GRIII (or IIIx depending on your desired focal length). Out of all the cameras that might lead me away from Fuji its that one. Super, super sharp; APS-C so comparable to an X100 in that regard (and a larger sensor than the RX100 series)

The only downside is no viewfinder; and that it is comparatively old tech now; they haven't updated the core technology in the GRIII for a number of years.

I'm surprised you prefer your iPhone over the Sony RX100VI. I really don't like photos out of phones; they seem very flat. I've liked everything I've seen out of the Sonys.

Thanks

Jake

A Fuji camera, particularly an X100 series will never match the tracking AF of a Sony IMHO.

Back