The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Thanks trevor,

I'll probably stick with aperture then, despite the annoying lack of lens corrections...

Then again... Capture One Pro 7 is currently available at half price and seems to be doing a very good job with the Fuji files which sort of makes me want to jump ship.

Don't do it..

Well X-T1 on order and should be here by the end of the week, does anyone here use the Think Tank Retrospective 5 bag?
Initially will just have the 18-55 but if happy with camera will get the 55-200 and one of the primes. Thanks

I'm using the Thinktank Mirrorless Mover i30.
I can highly recommend it :)

I've used the Retrospective 10 for a while now with the 600D and 2-3 lenses. Will see if it's way too big for the X-T1 and probably trade it in for a 7 or even 5.

I'm using the Thinktank Mirrorless Mover i30.
I can highly recommend it :)
Cheers for suggestions
I like the look of the cotton? finish of the retrospective, have got a Lowepro event messenger 150 which I think looks similar to the mirrorless mover 30i.
Why are bags so difficult? Live out in the sticks a bit so can not see much in local shops and maybe a bit old fashioned but always feel a bit guilty buying online with a 50/50 chance of returning purchase if not suitable. Should be a bit more like my better half with shoes / clothes returns to Next.

The retrospective looks and feels very nice and has been very reliable for me.

Had the Retrospective 7 for my XP1. First one came with a Flaw and was replaced, they tried to say it was part of the washed canvas effect and was a feature of the bag, to me it was a small hole. Although a great bag overall, the bag was too heavy for my disabilities and was going agiainst my plans to reducing the overall weight of my XP1 over my Nikon DSLR. I have now gone back to the Crumpler Light Delight 6000. This hasn't the padding of the TTR7 but with myself I only do light shooting so there is no need for me to have a heavier duty bag.

Also I had the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 30i, to me I didnt like the top opening going away from body rather than too. Again due to arthritic hands and nerve damage I found the bag awkward to open.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Shoulder bags aren't ideal when you're out shooting anyways... I use it if I'm going somewhere to shoot, like an event or sth, where I leave the bag backstage.

For my hiking trip through Norway, I'll just take the X-T1 with the 10-24 on a strap and maybe wrap the 56 in a t-shirt and bring it with me in my regular backpack. Any recommendations on a strap? Somehow, I feel that the Sun Sniper and Blackrapid straps are overkill for this small camera but then again, I can already feel the cheap strap cutting into my shoulder after a long day...

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Shoulder bags aren't ideal when you're out shooting anyways... I use it if I'm going somewhere to shoot, like an event or sth, where I leave the bag backstage.

For my hiking trip through Norway, I'll just take the X-T1 with the 10-24 on a strap and maybe wrap the 56 in a t-shirt and bring it with me in my regular backpack. Any recommendations on a strap? Somehow, I feel that the Sun Sniper and Blackrapid straps are overkill for this small camera but then again, I can already feel the cheap strap cutting into my shoulder after a long day...

Maybe use padding from another bag/strap on the thin strap, I have bought a peak design strap which is pretty thin , might use padding from an old bag on that.

peak design have a clip thing you can attach camera to the ruck sack, similar things on ebay which are cheaper as well. Neoprene bag for lens could be better than a t shirt.

I have the Footprint leather wrist strap, I am going to buy the neck strap in a couple of weeks. My mate called over last week with the neck strap and it's very nice. Although he did say it takes a while to break the strap in. A few of us on the XP1 thread have bought them and the service from Clive is exceptional, he made my strap 2" longer than STD as I have large hands at no extra cost.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Footprint...ography_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item27e55a1a78

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Footprint...ography_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item2a3dd5231f

Looking forward to the 18-135... Looks like it'll be significantly cheaper than I thought was likely (£700 or so rather than the £900 or so I was expecting) and combined with the £250 voucher that Fuji should be sending me soon, I can see one in my bag sooner rather than later.

Looking forward to the 18-135... Looks like it'll be significantly cheaper than I thought was likely (£700 or so rather than the £900 or so I was expecting) and combined with the £250 voucher that Fuji should be sending me soon, I can see one in my bag sooner rather than later.

Up on Wex website for pre order £749 :)

I'm assuming that the £250 discount is valid only through Fuji themselves so likely a £749 price then guessing that's going be rrp ?

18733796wj.jpg

I haven't been this excited about a delivery in a while. :)

Very nice. Im trying to decide if I should wait and see what price I can get a bundle with the 18-135 or to go for the body only/18-55 kit. Waitiing for a few more reviews on the 18-135 first as well.. I would ideally like the 56 prime for portraits though.

I'm assuming that the £250 discount is valid only through Fuji themselves so likely a £749 price then guessing that's going be rrp ?

Last time I spoke to the people in the shop, they were expecting it to be a voucher system redeemable in store. That was a fortnight ago though! I'm going to go to town later and will see what the latest news is.

Last time I spoke to the people in the shop, they were expecting it to be a voucher system redeemable in store. That was a fortnight ago though! I'm going to go to town later and will see what the latest news is.
Cheers for that info i wonder if it's valid through online stores too :-/
All the camera stores anywhere near me are 10miles + distance, so I'm a online shopper most of the time.

Cheers for that info i wonder if it's valid through online stores too :-/
All the camera stores anywhere near me are 10miles + distance, so I'm a online shopper most of the time.

I was wondering if it's was only going to be the shop or online place where you brought it from ?

AFAIK, the voucher can be redeemed at any participating dealers. Put a deposit on one to make sure I got the pre order price. Just got to wait for the voucher and the lens now.

I installed it... doesn't make a difference since I don't have the new lens but why not. ;)

No problems here.

I installed it with no problems, according to Fuji the changes are

The firmware update Ver. 1.10 from Ver. 1.00 incorporates the following issues:
  • 1.Addition of compatibility with "XF18-135mmF3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR"
  • To ensure that autofocus performs as expected, upgrade the firmware for the camera.
  • 2.Improvement of "Exposure compensation/exposure indicator" in EVF
  • Values are added to the scales of the indicator for better visibility.
  • 3.Improvement of Movie-record button operability
  • To avoid an accidental movie shooting, the delayed time will become longer between the moment you press the button and a movie shooting starts or ends.
  • 4.The phenomenon is fixed that images are not recorded with the set interval when "INTERVAL" in "INTERVAL TIMER SHOOTING" is set to 5 sec or less. In this case, the setting of "IMAGE DISP." in "SCREEN SET-UP" will change to "OFF" automatically.
Only had the camera a few days so did not notice the change

I have just updated mine principally for number 2, it's always good to have the latest firmware but there is not much there that concerns me.

Yep number 2 is a welcome improvement. Just need to sort out the woeful auto ISO now!

The ability for it to work would be nice! It's obsessed with ISO 800! Bright sun at f1.4, oh yes sir that'll be ISO 800 and maximum possible shutter speed. Ok then how about in my dimly lit room at f1.4...oh yes we can do that at ISO 800 too! What about at f8? oh no we will have to use 6400 for that. Oh so you can change the iso then... Default set at 200 and max set at 6400 by the way. When they've sorted that out it'd be nice to be able to have it in manual as well for Exposure compensation purposes, like the Sony A7 can manage.

I haven't found and issue with auto AF but tend to trust in my own judgement. The same can be said for exposure compensation.

Never noticed the problems you are having with auto ISO Alan, I generally change it manually, bit of a pain having to press the button everytime, but you soon get used to it.
Might try auto ISO and see if it treats me the same!

Don't understand why anyone would want to adjust exposure compensation when in manual mode though. Surely when in manual mode, exposure is controlled by adjusting the aperture, shutter and ISO, turning the EC dial seems pointless.......
Allan

Last edited:
In any mode when metering the subject you can use the EV (Exposure Value) or EC to manually override what the perceived best exposure the camera gives you which may be wrong in reality. For example a bird in a tree against a bright background, or a person sitting on a seat behind a brightly lit wall. In both cases the subject may appear darker than you would like. You can manually override this by dialling in or adding some + EV (increasing the exposure) or photographing a black cat in a coal cellar by reducing the - EV. In addition, These are the creative controls that let you produce high-key and low-key exposures. If you you are photographing a person in front of a white wall the spot meter would be a more accurate way of obtaining the 'perceived' correct exposure as opposed to the multi-segment meter (Middle option). EV is still 1950s technology updated, back then centre weighted meeting often gave very mixed results but was ok for 80% of the time, but It's still relevant today as a creative control even though meters have become more accurate.

Last edited:
Never noticed the problems you are having with auto ISO Alan, I generally change it manually, bit of a pain having to press the button everytime, but you soon get used to it.
Might try auto ISO and see if it treats me the same!

Don't understand why anyone would want to adjust exposure compensation when in manual mode though. Surely when in manual mode, exposure is controlled by adjusting the aperture, shutter and ISO, turning the EC dial seems pointless.......
Allan

Not at all, you can turn the Compensation dial without having to unlock it or remove camera from eye, a lot more fluid to use than if you were to adjust the shutter speed to compensate. It takes it from being just manual mode, to being aperture priority with adjustable target shutter speed Auto ISO if you so desire.

For example I want to use my 55-200 but AUto ISO is set at 1/125, I have to delve into the menu and find it - or I could turn the shutter speed to 1/250 and carry on shooting using the ISO to keep it there without having to turn any additoonal dials or press buttons. I swap to the 25mm 1.4, wuickly turn the speed dial back down to say 1/50 and off I go again, without having more buttons to press.

Just one of those things that makes life a little easier.

Richard/Alan, once you're off the A setting on the shutter speed dial, it's free - no lock.

ISO button has to be pressed every time, its the shutter which only locks on auto

Back