The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Gave my XT-1 a good workout today lovely camera to use,but could have done with the 18-135mm mainly used the 18-55mm took the 55-200mm with me,but it was the local caravel and i was walking with little ones Brownie group so was carrying waters & coats,so could find time to change the lens for that odd reach you sometimes need.
:)

What does the D700 do that the X-T1 is lacking in? Just out of interest. I'm still nervous about switching so I'm always interested in other's opinions. But in terms of AF, having owned a D700 I don't see any major disadvantage with the Fuji.

I havent used an xt1 but my experience with previous fujis and other mirrorless cameras is that the af isnt as fast. Sure they are fine in decent light, but when a lot of light isnt available or theres a lot of backlight they get slow especially with subjects that arent static. The other obvious benefits are shallow dof and battery life.

After using a lot of cscs i found i cant rely on them like i can my dslr and although the d700 has low mp the files it produces still look superb and it just works in any light and does it well. I do have a em10 which i recently bought as a grab n go and its pretty good but not main camera good and i found that with all of the cscs ive used. Guess it depends on expectations and use.

Last edited:
How many shots was that Simon? I've just been to pick up an extra battery for my jaunt to Thailand...Excited much :D

Almost ready!

35bt2xz.jpg

Last edited:
How many shots was that Simon? I've just been to pick up an extra battery for my jaunt to Thailand...Excited much :D

Almost ready!

I went to Thailand in May and loved every second :D Hope you enjoy :D

I havent used an xt1 but my experience with previous fujis and other mirrorless cameras is that the af isnt as fast. Sure they are fine in decent light, but when a lot of light isnt available or theres a lot of backlight they get slow especially with subjects that arent static. The other obvious benefits are shallow dof and battery life.

After using a lot of cscs i found i cant rely on them like i can my dslr and although the d700 has low mp the files it produces still look superb and it just works in any light and does it well. I do have a em10 which i recently bought as a grab n go and its pretty good but not main camera good and i found that with all of the cscs ive used. Guess it depends on expectations and use.

You might want to have a look at this....
http://peterbyrne.co.uk/blog/fuji-x-t1-and-nikon-d700/

It might shed a little light on how the two cameras compare.
Allan

Almost ready!

35bt2xz.jpg

Whats lenses do you have there then? 14 and 23? My eyes are no good with small writing :(

I have the same bag as that as well, although mine is bright orange :) I have found it to be an excellent bag for the Fuji system and find it to protect it well and has a nice large compartment in the top for lunch/coat etc...... Great day bag :)

You might want to have a look at this....
http://peterbyrne.co.uk/blog/fuji-x-t1-and-nikon-d700/

It might shed a little light on how the two cameras compare.
Allan

Thanks Alan, I read cameralabs review and he said the XT1 is a little faster than the A7 but slower than the EM1, Ive owned the A7 and that was incredibly slow compared to the D700 and my EM10 is also faster than the A7, I guess this gives me some idea of AF performance and why I would still hesitate to replace the D700, it is much faster at AF than the EM10 so must be much better than the XT1. People that are reading this please dont think Im a fanboy, Ive owned them all and I love Fuji but its obviously got to match or be better than what its replacing or theres no point. Probably best to try this one instead of what I usually do and just buy the lot then find out its niggles later.

Whats lenses do you have there then? 14 and 23? My eyes are no good with small writing :(

I have the same bag as that as well, although mine is bright orange :) I have found it to be an excellent bag for the Fuji system and find it to protect it well and has a nice large compartment in the top for lunch/coat etc...... Great day bag :)

Yep - 14 and 23 ;)

I knew I'd like it as soon as I picked it up. Good size, lightweight, well built..... NOT bright orange :D:D

Yep - 14 and 23 ;)

I knew I'd like it as soon as I picked it up. Good size, lightweight, well built..... NOT bright orange :D:D

Thanks. How do you find those two lenses? They are my next purchases, once I have decided on 23 or x100s.

Yeah your bag looks quite stealth in black.

Thanks. How do you find those two lenses? They are my next purchases, once I have decided on 23 or x100s.

Yeah your bag looks quite stealth in black.

I sold the x100s to fund the 23mm, but that was because I didn't want another body. If I was happy to have the extra body then I would have been happy to keep the x100s - it's an amazing little camera.

Just bought the 14mm yesterday but the first impressions are really good. Just need to add the 56mm to get my "trinity" set :D

I sold the x100s to fund the 23mm, but that was because I didn't want another body. If I was happy to have the extra body then I would have been happy to keep the x100s - it's an amazing little camera.

Just bought the 14mm yesterday but the first impressions are really good. Just need to add the 56mm to get my "trinity" set :D

Great stuff, don't get me started on the 56!!! :)

I can't decide between the two, 23 or 100s. I think the 100s would make an excellent street and every day camera always take it with you. On the other hand the 23 looks like an amazing lens. I literally have been trying to make a decision on that for 6+ months.

Almost ready!

35bt2xz.jpg

To be honest i would take at least 4 battery with you,i think Fuij say about 300/350 shots,but theses figure are always worked out under let say not real world shooting i think its more like 200 :)

I can't decide between the two, 23 or 100s. I think the 100s would make an excellent street and every day camera always take it with you. On the other hand the 23 looks like an amazing lens. I literally have been trying to make a decision on that for 6+ months.

I'd just pull the pin on one of them. Literally doesn't matter which one you buy as you'd be happy with either. I find the XT1 perfect for street photography, and don't really think the x100s is anymore discreet.

I went the 23mm way in the end :)

To be honest i would take at least 4 battery with you,i think Fuij say about 300/350 shots,but theses figure are always worked out under let say not real world shooting i think its more like 200 :)
Thing is Simon, I doubt I'd get over 400 shots a day. I'm going to Koh Samui so it's not like I'll be pounding the streets for hours.

Quick question please

How do you find the Raw files process from the X-T1, don't think the ones from my X-E1 compare favourably with those from a Canon 5D
(Tried LR 5 and Silkypix)

Thanks
Rich

Last edited:
I'd just pull the pin on one of them. Literally doesn't matter which one you buy as you'd be happy with either. I find the XT1 perfect for street photography, and don't really think the x100s is anymore discreet.

Aye, I know, I know, I overthink these things too much, I read specs over and over and in the end take ages to make a decision.

I went the 23mm way in the end :)

How are you finding it Simon and what made you go that route?

In my opinion processing seems to introduce noise/artefacts at an earlier stage. Other point is that fine detail seems to be less well defined.
Fortunately the jpegs are that good I have now started keeping them after making a few very minor tweaks.

Cannot imagine going over fully to Fuji for the above reasons especially when taking landscapes.
Admittedly the 14 bit of the X-T1 may be better hence the question and the raw aspect is the only downside I have found thus far

Last edited:
Aye, I know, I know, I overthink these things too much, I read specs over and over and in the end take ages to make a decision.

How are you finding it Simon and what made you go that route?

Ok,but couldn't justified having both so one had to go,and I felt the 23mm on my XE-2 body was the best way to go :)

Thanks Alan, I read cameralabs review and he said the XT1 is a little faster than the A7 but slower than the EM1, Ive owned the A7 and that was incredibly slow compared to the D700 and my EM10 is also faster than the A7, I guess this gives me some idea of AF performance and why I would still hesitate to replace the D700, it is much faster at AF than the EM10 so must be much better than the XT1. People that are reading this please dont think Im a fanboy, Ive owned them all and I love Fuji but its obviously got to match or be better than what its replacing or theres no point. Probably best to try this one instead of what I usually do and just buy the lot then find out its niggles later.
I sold al my dslr gear to start using smaller cameras, and even after I got my Fuji line up, I went back and tried Nikons again. I know the AF is a tad slower sometimes, but after using the XT1, I don't really notice the difference. What I do notice however, is that I use the camera more, its so much lighter and is always ready. Of course, if AF speed is a priority for you, then I understand your hesitation, but for me, the lightness and convenience more than makes up for that .001 second till the focus frame goes green....

Allan

I sold al my dslr gear to start using smaller cameras, and even after I got my Fuji line up, I went back and tried Nikons again. I know the AF is a tad slower sometimes, but after using the XT1, I don't really notice the difference. What I do notice however, is that I use the camera more, its so much lighter and is always ready. Of course, if AF speed is a priority for you, then I understand your hesitation, but for me, the lightness and convenience more than makes up for that .001 second till the focus frame goes green....

Allan

I did that a few times and I do love the weight of the smaller systems but I kept coming back to a DSLR for AF and fast primes for shallow DOF and then went to 2 systems at a time, which seems to make sense for me but but not so much my wallet.

Do you find the XT1 much faster than the X100s, especially in lower light to obtain focus and also CAF speed with moving subjects?

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the AF is faster than my X100s overall, although that seemed pretty quick to me. Low light focus does seem to have improved too. I never used CAF on my X100s, so can't comment about the difference, but I have had a quick go at AF tracking using the XT1 on small objects ( birds, planes etc) and bigger subjects ( horse, dog) and it certainly seems to lock and keep focus very quickly, especially the bigger animals.
Just been out with my D200 and it just feels a bit clumsy now. Still great though but I don't think I will use it much.
Allan

I am pretty sure the AF is faster than my X100s overall, although that seemed pretty quick to me. Low light focus does seem to have improved too. I never used CAF on my X100s, so can't comment about the difference, but I have had a quick go at AF tracking using the XT1 on small objects ( birds, planes etc) and bigger subjects ( horse, dog) and it certainly seems to lock and keep focus very quickly, especially the bigger animals.
Just been out with my D200 and it just feels a bit clumsy now. Still great though but I don't think I will use it much.
Allan

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I found the x100s fine in decent light but in low light it struggled a little, overall it was okay though so the xt1 may still be worth considering.

Not tried the 23 yet but I absolutely LOVE the X100s. I never really got on with the X100 but this is a different story.

Not tried the 23 yet but I absolutely LOVE the X100s. I never really got on with the X100 but this is a different story.

Id agree with that.

Can anyone tell me what the 35mm focus speed is like on the XT1 compared to say the X100s or XP1 or even XE1?

Just a quick nod to the Sales section; I have bunged my 60mm prime up in there should anyone be interested.

Cheers

Spooks

Id agree with that.

Can anyone tell me what the 35mm focus speed is like on the XT1 compared to say the X100s or XP1 or even XE1?

In my opinion it's way faster than XP1. I only had the XT last week after returning a faulty refurb one. When new camera arrived and after updating firmware it seemed quicker to me compared to refurb. I also compared it to my friends XP1 (which I sold him) and we both agreed it was quicker. I just had a quick play in living room with no sun (mid dark room) and I just let the 35mm achieve focus and it was quick.

Where are you Twist, you and others helped me a lot on the XP1 thread and your more than welcome to come and try my camera out with the 35mm.

Edit: I think you also have a EM-5???. When I tried the XT vs EM-5 & GX7 in my local camera shop, again, in my opinion the XT was quicker along with the better VF.

Last edited:
In my opinion it's way faster than XP1. I only had the XT last week after returning a faulty refurb one. When new camera arrived and after updating firmware it seemed quicker to me compared to refurb. I also compared it to my friends XP1 (which I sold him) and we both agreed it was quicker. I just had a quick play in living room with no sun (mid dark room) and I just let the 35mm achieve focus and it was quick.

Where are you Twist, you and others helped me a lot on the XP1 thread and your more than welcome to come and try my camera out with the 35mm.

Edit: I think you also have a EM-5???. When I tried the XT vs EM-5 & GX7 in my local camera shop, again, in my opinion the XT was quicker along with the better VF.

Hi Simon, thats very kind of you but I threw caution to the wind, only live once. Ordered with the 35mm, can't wait. I love Fuji and the only thing that ever let me down was its frustrating AF.

I have the EM10 now, its a lovely camera, I do a lot of camera switching so its entirely possible I also had the EM5 when I was posting in the Fuji section. Good to hear you found it quicker than the EM5 as that gives me some idea.

@twist I just tried a completely unscientific side by side with the X100S and the X-T1&35mm. only light in the room from through fairly heavy blinds. Using the centre focus point on both cameras. With the largest focus box selected the X-T1 is noticeably quicker. With the smallest box selected the X-t1 still beats it but not by as much.

@twist I just tried a completely unscientific side by side with the X100S and the X-T1&35mm. only light in the room from through fairly heavy blinds. Using the centre focus point on both cameras. With the largest focus box selected the X-T1 is noticeably quicker. With the smallest box selected the X-t1 still beats it but not by as much.

Now thats what I like to hear! Thanks for the test Colin.

Hi Colin,

I have read somewhere, if you pull the focus box back two stops from small it's quicker. Have you any experience of this?? I only have the XT now so can't compare against XP or other Fuji cameras.

Think it's always the case with any of the Fuji's Simon. Bigger the focus box gfaster the focus, just maybe not exactly where you wanted the focus point to be.

Best advice I've read for setting the focus box size is, make it as small as you can make it while making it as big as it needs to be :confused:

Back