The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Yes, it's good. Would I buy it again or stick with primes? Dunno, I'm on the fence.
I'm most definitely on the fence.
I use the 10-24 when I'm out with SWMBO or on a "non Photographic" day out. If I'm doing what passes for a proper job then I stick with the primes because they are faster.

Fuji UK Service.

I have just had a fantastic example of customer service from Fuji UK. At the NEC Photo Show on Sunday my X-T1 started playing up, the symptoms were a noticeable delay when switching it on, the failure of the rear LCD to illuminate sometimes when pressing the picture review button and an intermittent delay in the time between pressing the shutter release and the shutter operating. I handed it in to the technical service desk at about 12.30 and was asked to come back about 3.30 as the two technicians were very busy. On returning to the desk I was told that the technicians report stated that it needed to be returned to Fuji's service department for examination.

On Monday morning I rang the service department and spoke to a very pleasant customer manager called Arthur, I explained that I was going to visit my friends in Cornwall on Friday to act as the photographer for a family reunion on the Sunday and asked if there was any way I could have a loan camera while they were repairing mine. His reply, which took me totally by surprise, was that if I posted my camera to them with guaranteed next day delivery they would check it and post it back to me on Tuesday evening, again with next day delivery.

This I duly did and received a phone call from Arthur about 9.30 on Tuesday morning to let me know it had arrived. I received a further phone call from him at 3.30 to say that it had been repaired and was being packed for posting. It arrived this morning as promised.

Besides the wonderful customer service there is another side to this which is also important. To provide this level of service it probably means that the service department is not overly busy and therefore Fuji cameras and lenses are generally reliable.

Fuji UK Service.

I have just had a fantastic example of customer service from Fuji UK. At the NEC Photo Show on Sunday my X-T1 started playing up, the symptoms were a noticeable delay when switching it on, the failure of the rear LCD to illuminate sometimes when pressing the picture review button and an intermittent delay in the time between pressing the shutter release and the shutter operating. I handed it in to the technical service desk at about 12.30 and was asked to come back about 3.30 as the two technicians were very busy. On returning to the desk I was told that the technicians report stated that it needed to be returned to Fuji's service department for examination.

On Monday morning I rang the service department and spoke to a very pleasant customer manager called Arthur, I explained that I was going to visit my friends in Cornwall on Friday to act as the photographer for a family reunion on the Sunday and asked if there was any way I could have a loan camera while they were repairing mine. His reply, which took me totally by surprise, was that if I posted my camera to them with guaranteed next day delivery they would check it and post it back to me on Tuesday evening, again with next day delivery.

This I duly did and received a phone call from Arthur about 9.30 on Tuesday morning to let me know it had arrived. I received a further phone call from him at 3.30 to say that it had been repaired and was being packed for posting. It arrived this morning as promised.

Besides the wonderful customer service there is another side to this which is also important. To provide this level of service it probably means that the service department is not overly busy and therefore Fuji cameras and lenses are generally reliable.

That is very impressive.

Top stuff. I've heard of very few issues with Fuji X gear generally. I had a very early 55-200 that failed and I heard about a few others with the same problem around the same time, but that seemed to be very localised and I've not seen anything similar since.

It works for me too, I like the minimalist look though so maybe for some it could be a bit marmite. I know its my OCD but the post isn't straight, yeah I know its that way naturally but it just bugs me, sorry.

Thanks. Yes it bugs me too. The horizon is straight (I think) and when I tried to straighten the post everything went skew-wiff. I didn't want to spend all day trying to get it right. - @Mr Perceptive will b*****k me if i do. It does lean naturally and it's annoying.

Thanks. Yes it bugs me too. The horizon is straight (I think) and when I tried to straighten the post everything went skew-wiff. I didn't want to spend all day trying to get it right. - @Mr Perceptive will b*****k me if i do. It does lean naturally and it's annoying.

If the post isn't straight in real life then it's not an easy correction, and I wouldn't correct it as its like that in real life. An alternative would be to get the post vertical in the image by changing shooting position, but they may not be possible without waders!!!

But everybody knows it's not straight. Someone would complain if I took a picture with it upright! An interesting challenge. This was at high tide. You can walk right up to it at low tide. Maybe. Maybe not.

But everybody knows it's not straight. Someone would complain if I took a picture with it upright! An interesting challenge. This was at high tide. You can walk right up to it at low tide. Maybe. Maybe not.
Keep it as is. Anyone with a genuine interest will soon realise that the horizon is straight. Beggar the rest of 'em!

Just sent you a PM, Mick.

I must admit I spent ages looking at the image thinking the horizon isn't straight but I eventually worked out it was and it was the post that was leaning!

That second image is stunning

OK, here's a quick and clumsy correction to the leaning post, with Frank's permission. I personally like the original. If the post is leaning, it's leaning so the original is the accurate rendition of the scene. However, for those with brains wired not to like the lean, here's a version with less of a lean. :D

post.png

Thanks Dunc. Just replied. Post your version if you wish.
Here's another of the same beacon which shows an even more pronounced lean.
I must go down to the sea again, by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

This is framed and on my wall and I see the lean every time I look at it. Sad I know, but that's OCD for you.

Frank,

If I had ever taken such a beautifully composed atmospheric seascape I would frame it and out it on my wall too. To put your mind at rest regarding the lean, very many navigation marks mounted on mud or sand lean to a greater or lesser degree. The horizon is level which is what matters, structures may lean from the vertical, but seawater, when left to its own devices, doesn't move from the horizontal. ;)

Frank,

If I had ever taken such a beautifully composed atmospheric seascape I would frame it and out it on my wall too. To put your mind at rest regarding the lean, very many navigation marks mounted on mud or sand lean to a greater or lesser degree. The horizon is level which is what matters, structures may lean from the vertical, but seawater, when left to its own devices, doesn't move from the horizontal. ;)
Thank you very much. I was just lucky with the seascape. Right place right time.

The beacon was installed many years ago as a navigation aid for ships coming into the Mersey. The estuary is full of sandbanks and is treacherous for shipping. It is no longer needed due to pilots and sat navs but remains a prominent feature and is useful for us toggers. I assume that the Victorians will have over engineered it as usual but one day it will lean too far and be gone for ever.

Last edited:
OK. Dunc..you are a sad, sad man.
Twist...you are even worse. I've never seen a herring gull with a sharks mouth!

Amazon man still not in sight.

I don't mind the leaning with the wind turbines, its the 45 degree lean on the shark that gets me :eek:

woohoo, got my 23mm at last! every time I went to order it over the last couple of months it went out of stock...so I lost interest and bought something else lol.

anyone else with the 23mm that HATES the supplied hood? the thing is hideous..have ordered a screw fit metal one to see how that goes :)

Groyne end marker posts are rarely vertical after a year or 2! People run into them in boats, use them for tying up to etc..

Groyne end marker posts are rarely vertical after a year or 2! People run into them in boats, use them for tying up to etc..
This thing don't move because of a little fishing boat. The timbers are over 15" square. God knows what size of tree they came off.

Back