The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

This thing don't move because of a little fishing boat. The timbers are over 15" square. God knows what size of tree they came off.

In days gone by they used greenheart...Like purple heart but green they would use the boxed centres for this task and for canal lock timbers. It is perhaps the Stiffest timber and one of the most durable known, but can be steam bent.
Trunk diameter is only 2ft however purple heart comes in at up to 5 ft dia.

In days gone by they used greenheart...Like purple heart but green they would use the boxed centres for this task and for canal lock timbers. It is perhaps the Stiffest timber and one of the most durable known, but can be steam bent.
Trunk diameter is only 2ft however purple heart comes in at up to 5 ft dia.
Wow, thank you.
So is greenheart/purpleheart a native tree or has it been imported from a rainforest somewhere?
On the assumption that these were put in place in the 1800s they have lasted remarkably well, especially this one that gets covered in water twice a day. There are several on the coast near here.

Wow, thank you.
So is greenheart/purpleheart a native tree or has it been imported from a rainforest somewhere?
On the assumption that these were put in place in the 1800s they have lasted remarkably well, especially this one that gets covered in water twice a day. There are several on the coast near here.

It is imported from the Americas and it is not thought to be endangered. It is not very expensive, but is very costly and difficult to cut. so although it is extremely useful there is little incentive to exploit it.
before the introduction of the chain saw in the early sixties It was extremely difficult to process at all. But its extreme durability made it a very useful marine timber. It is so strong it was used to cover polar explorer ships.
There are some companies that recover old greenheart timber for reuse as it does not deteriorate. It was often used in old railway sleepers especially in difficult conditions.

I have used it in turning and it turns well.. but it is a nightmare in Joinery It will blunt most tools in seconds. But purpleheart is just that, Purple, and can look beautiful. Greenheart has little to recommend it beauty wise.
But if you just want "silly strong" you can use either. At one time it was used for fly rods as it was stiff strong and virtually unbreakable. the down side is it is very heavy..

woohoo, got my 23mm at last! every time I went to order it over the last couple of months it went out of stock...so I lost interest and bought something else lol.

anyone else with the 23mm that HATES the supplied hood? the thing is hideous..have ordered a screw fit metal one to see how that goes :)

Cool. Where did you get it from?

Today was a good day at work as I managed to escape for some retail therapy, wandered along the Strand to LCE, had 45mins trying different lenses and walked out with two new members to the XF line up at home......

XF 56mm F1.2 R along with the 35mm f2 WR, hopefully they will get a little outing over the weekend.

Nigel

Today was a good day at work as I managed to escape for some retail therapy, wandered along the Strand to LCE, had 45mins trying different lenses and walked out with two new members to the XF line up at home......

XF 56mm F1.2 R along with the 35mm f2 WR, hopefully they will get a little outing over the weekend.

Nigel
An excellent pair.

Nice rendition. Judging by the state of the pier building, and the cable snaking across the track, refurbishment is needed!

Nice rendition. Judging by the state of the pier building, and the cable snaking across the track, refurbishment is needed!

Thanks, just trying out some presets suggested earlier on this thread :) The pier building could certainly do with a tart up and some of the protective fencing is well, well not very protective any more! The pier still functions as a daily commuter route to and from Southampton however.

Thanks, just trying out some presets suggested earlier on this thread :) The pier building could certainly do with a tart up and some of the protective fencing is well, well not very protective any more! The pier still functions as a daily commuter route to and from Southampton however.

Be careful. @mickledore might be a long in a minute to comment on that nav tower. :D Next thing you know there'll be sharks all over the shop and a seagull with teeth on top of the tower. :exit:

Be careful. @mickledore might be a long in a minute to comment on that nav tower. :D Next thing you know there'll be sharks all over the shop and a seagull with teeth on top of the tower. :exit:

Ah crap, yeah, let's no start that again. It's on a floating section, or something.

Last edited:
I'm saying nowt. The sharks weren't mine!

Thought about commenting on the purple cast but decided against it.

Thanks. I'll have a look at them if the weather stops me going out tomorrow. Oh, wait a minute the forecast is crap. That's tomorrow sorted!

The preset gives a magenta cast? Was that something you wanted?

Back