The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

It's a Nikon mount Sigma 300mm apo f4, bought in '95 from the receipt that was still in the case. I haven't used it a great deal yet, MF wide open at f4 is fun! It looks like it flares a fair bit when shooting towards the sun, so I'm not sure if it's going to be any good for an airshow, but I'm going to give it a try. It cost £55.

Edit, I should add that the Sigma shots above were taken through dirty double glazing, every time I carefully open the window to get a clear shot the poxy cat jumps up and out through the window and scares the birds away! :D

Last edited:
So there was a storm...

14717212723_4e9f2d201e_z.jpg

14717216343_e18cf4f105_z.jpg

14510687149_9158edde79_z.jpg

14697355005_ae42e7c354_z.jpg

14674333616_d769bed403_z.jpg

14694956654_9cfc90de43_z.jpg

Nice set there Twist, shot on the 56??

Amazon UK have been saying Aug 1st for a while, guessing later than that now though

BREAKiNG NEWS:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/79...mount-lens-roadmap-through-to-the-end-of-2015

Fujifilm has updated the roadmap for its X-mount lenses up to the end of 2015. One extra lens has been added, while a second lens previously included has been formally named. The release order of three others has changed. The new models are the XF 90mm F2 R and XF 16mm F1.4 R, both of which are due by mid-2015.

The release dates of three previously announced lenses have also changed. The XF 50-140mm F2.8 R LM OIS WR has moved into the #1 position, with a ship date of late 2014. The XF 16-55mm F2.8 R WR has been pushed back to Spring 2015, while the 'super tele-photo prime' will now arrive near the end of the year.

Fujifilm_Lens_Road_Map.jpeg

Last edited:
It seems as if I will have to wait for my Long Zoom, from the last roadmap I thought it would have been later this / early next year. Reading the DP article it seem It's going to be Winter 2015.

I sold my two XP1 to change to M4/3 for the reach but couldn't do it due to the Fuji iQ and the super tele coming later this year, I dont know if I can wait another 18months for the super tele. I'm home all day and trying to catch the smaller birds in the garden is difficult using legacy - manual focus lenses with my disabilities. Although it's a lot better with the EVF of XT compared to the XP. I'm disapointed.

It seems as if I will have to wait for my Long Zoom, from the last roadmap I thought it would have been later this / early next year. Reading the DP article it seem It's going to be Winter 2015.

I sold my two XP1 to change to M4/3 for the reach but couldn't do it due to the Fuji iQ and the super tele coming later this year, I dont know if I can wait another 18months for the super tele. I'm home all day and trying to catch the smaller birds in the garden is difficult using legacy - manual focus lenses with my disabilities. Although it's a lot better with the EVF of XT compared to the XP. I'm disapointed.

The Fuji XF 55-200mm is very sharp, but with the WiFi facility on the X-T1 why don't you set it up on a tripod or clamp and then operate the camera using a iPhone or Android from the comfort of your living room. You can change the speed and aperture using your existing lens. I haven't tried this myself yet but would really like to have a go using the 10-24 and get quite close up.

The Fuji XF 55-200mm is very sharp, but with the WiFi facility on the X-T1 why don't you set it up on a tripod or clamp and then operate the camera using a iPhone or Android from the comfort of your living room. You can change the speed and aperture using your existing lens. I haven't tried this myself yet but would really like to have a go using the 10-24 and get quite close up.

I have had the 55-200 and sold for the 50-230mm to try and gain a little extra reach. They were too short for my needs. Im currently using a Vivitar (Tokina) 100-300mm f5.

Initial thoughts: It's awkward setting up a tripod as we have a boisterous young dog and the windows don't open the right way. As we have kids either side and to the rear of us I would be nervous leaving a tripod un-attended as balls often come over the fence, plus the squirrels, as we partly back onto woods. It's something which I will look further into and thanks for the suggestion.

I have used the app for controling the camera with my phone and it's a great for family photos to include myself in the group.

After a quick play with the 50-230 I decided that the extra IQ (slight but noticeable) that the 55-200 gives made the newer lens a better choice (for me) despite the slight loss of reach If necessary, I can use the extra IQ to crop slightly to get the apparent reach anyway. I'm hoping that Fuji decide to create a teleconverter to suit the zooms at some point but if not, I have other options available (1 series Nikons and the FT1 adaptor).

To combat balls, maybe a cheap beach shelter (? Lidl/Aldi ?) could be used to protect the set up? I reckon the 18-135 WR should be reasonably robust so a young dog might not be too much of a problem. On a taller tripod, maybe some sand bags piled around the legs would keep it upright (or tie it down to one of those dog anchors [the tripod, not the youngster!]). The remote control app with the X-T is great! A cheapish Android tablet is cheaper than the official wired Fuji remote...

I'm so disappointed both the 16-55 and 16 I wanted aren't going to be out anytime soon I brought an X100s instead :D

Lightroom officially sucks at Fuji colour. Anybody managed to make a profile that looks like what comes out of the camera?

I just got Photo Ninja, still experimenting, but early indications are promising.
Had the trial version of LR5, less than impressed hence my latest purchase.
Will update when I have become more familiar with PJ

I just got Photo Ninja, still experimenting, but early indications are promising.
Had the trial version of LR5, less than impressed hence my latest purchase.
Will update when I have become more familiar with PJ

I'll be interested to see your findings. I've seen a few comparisons but none have made me think "wow that's much better". I am a bit underwhelmed with the Fuji output, but I do only use Lightroom. The thing is I don't like PP very much so having to jump through a lot of hoops isn't something that appeals!

Another one a bit disappoint at how slow Fuji are at getting theirs lens out :(

Say what?! There isn't another manufacturer out there putting lenses out at the rate Fuji are, not even close, especially impressive given they are all brand new designs, and generally extremely high quality. The fact that they are so transparent about it with their roadmaps is a great thing, but will occasionally lead to a bit of disappointment if a release date 'slips', overall it's better to have than not though.

If you want slow (or borderline non-existent) see Sony, who seemingly have launched more formats and mounts than lenses in the past few years.

Say what?! There isn't another manufacturer out there putting lenses out at the rate Fuji are, not even close,...

Yup.

I read somewhere that no one, not even Canon or Nikon, has the resources to develop more than two or three lenses a year. That may or may not be true but Fuji do seem to be at least amongst the quickest at knocking out new lenses for a new system.

If you want slow (or borderline non-existent) see Sony, who seemingly have launched more formats and mounts than lenses in the past few years.

Not quite fair IMVHO. I have an A7 and just the kit zoom but AFAIK they have the 35 and 55mm primes, the kit zoom and two quality zooms too. The lenses may almost be outnumbered by A7 variant bodies but five lenses isn't bad going IMVHO.

Last edited:
Say what?! There isn't another manufacturer out there putting lenses out at the rate Fuji are, not even close, especially impressive given they are all brand new designs, and generally extremely high quality. The fact that they are so transparent about it with their roadmaps is a great thing, but will occasionally lead to a bit of disappointment if a release date 'slips', overall it's better to have than not though.

Yes their primes,but some of us like our zooms both Olympus & Panasonic have fast zooms,when I first when for Fuji the fast zooms were high on their road map,but they keep getting put back.
Look I am not giving up on Fuji,I would just have liked them to have got their fast zooms out in the time limit that I thought it was going to be when I brought into Fuji.
As for Sony I don't care about as I am not an Sony owner :)

Last edited:
Yes their primes,but some of us like our zooms both Olympus & Panasonic have fast zooms,when I first when for Fuji the fast zooms were high on their road map,but they keep getting put back.
Look I am not giving up on Fuji,I would just have liked them to have got their fast zooms out in the time limit that I thought it was going to be when I brought into Fuji.
As for Sony I don't care about as I am not an Sony owner :)

After how many years?

When the system first came out as far as I remember they had the rather pedestrian 14-42 and 40-200mm, both f3.5/4-5.6 zooms.

Sony will be making big announcements at Photokina in September.
Highly likely the announcement for the 5 FE lenses.
Zeiss 16-35mm f4 OSS
Sony G Macro
Zeiss wide-angle
And two other unknown lenses

Back to the Fuji lens road map, I must admit Fuji is making great progress with not only their lenses but camera bodies too.
It's a shame they never factored in a FF setup from the beginning.

Sony will be making big announcements at Photokina in September.
Highly likely the announcement for the 5 FE lenses.
Zeiss 16-35mm f4 OSS
Sony G Macro
Zeiss wide-angle
And two other unknown lenses

Back to the Fuji lens road map, I must admit Fuji is making great progress with not only their lenses but camera bodies too.
It's a shame they never factored in a FF setup from the beginning.

They dont need to factor in ff when their hi iso performance is so good and they are releasing such fast primes and zooms. What would the benefit be?

They dont need to factor in ff when their hi iso performance is so good and they are releasing such fast primes and zooms. What would the benefit be?

Don't want to turn this into a Vs. post or debate of the advantages of FF vs Crop but Fuji boost the ISO values to make them look better than they actually are. Google it.
For most Fuji crop Mirrorless is the sweet spot, for other who want greater performance there is FF.

I still own a Fuji X100 ;)

What I have seen on here, the pics the A7 produces is not any better to what I have seen from Fuji's. I have followed the XE1 & 2, XP1, XT1 & A7 (for manual lens info) threads and to my eyes the better photos are on the Fuji threads. Im just a happy snapper and perhaps I am missing something.????? :exit:

I've owned an a7 and the high iso noise pattern was not to my taste. The Fuji x trans sensor produces nicer output for me (more film like I guess). More so though, it's just more enjoyable to use and the high quality lenses are more affordable. EVFs are still horrible though.

Don't want to turn this into a Vs. post or debate of the advantages of FF vs Crop but Fuji boost the ISO values to make them look better than they actually are. Google it.
For most Fuji crop Mirrorless is the sweet spot, for other who want greater performance there is FF.

I still own a Fuji X100 ;)

According to tests Ive seen there is barely any real world difference, less than 1/3 stop, all manufacturers ISO values afaik are different. I was one of the early Sony FF adopters so can speak from experience of both systems ;)

Point being, lets look at Sony, they've opted for FF, the ISO can go higher but at the same or similar ISO values the Fuji is just as clean except the fuji lenses have faster apertures so let in more light. Sonys lenses are bigger because the sensor is bigger, to keep the size down they have to opt for slower aperture lenses or its no longer a compact system, they also have less fast primes available. Fuji has faster lenses available and looking at the roadmap says it all. That removes the benefits of FF, 'supposedly better' hi iso and shallower DOF.

You're not missing anything Simon, I agree with manualfocus-g, I never liked the Sony a7 noise pattern.

Last edited:
I guess the whole FF vs Crop sensor debate will always rage on, but camera's like the Sony A7 & Fuji X-T1 have one thing is common... they are eating away at DSLR sales.
Mirrorless is the way forward in my opinion for everything bar professional high critical AF tracking work.
Give it another 1-2 years and they will be as fast if not faster than the Pro DSLR's. :)

I guess the whole FF vs Crop sensor debate will always rage on, but camera's like the Sony A7 & Fuji X-T1 have one thing is common... they are eating away at DSLR sales.
Mirrorless is the way forward in my opinion for everything bar professional high critical AF tracking work.
Give it another 1-2 years and they will be as fast if not faster than the Pro DSLR's. :)

Hopefully they can improve on battery life and AF. Only areas I think are lacking a bit.

Back