The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Or they just need a fast 300mm lens which doesn't exist in the current Fuji lineup...

Why on earth would you want to use manual focus on an aircraft on a modem camera. Sounds like you are making things hard for yourself.

The split screens of the 80s made MF relatively easy but that doesn't translate to modem cameras including the X-T1.

I have used the split focus on the. X-T1 for macro but that's slow time.

Thats what my dissapointment for the new Lens Roadmap on previous page was about. There should have been a Super Tele for the end of this year, but has been put back until Winter 2015. If you need anything longer than 230mm it has to be legacy glass. I'm not allways in a position to zoom with my feet due to disabilities, so I have no other option with Fuji.

Last edited:
Thats what my dissapointment for the new Lens Roadmap on previous page was about. There should have been a Super Tele for the end of this year, but has been put back until Winter 2015. If you need anything longer than 230mm it has to be legacy glass. I'm not allways in a position to zoom with my feet due to disabilities, so I have no other option.

Couldve bought a M43.

Footzoom is also a bit difficult when the separation is vertical rather than horizontal - you can stalk wildlife to get closer (with practice) but it's harder getting yourself up a couple of hundred feet! (OR a few feet closer when there are barriers...)

What do Fuji consider to be "Winter 2015"? If it's Jan/Feb, it's not too long a wait but Nov/Dec could be.

I find MF a royal PITA, even with the X-T1's split image so don't use it other than for fine tuning on my other CSC system where I use F mount lenses on a 1 series body (which allows AF). Luckily I'm more a wide angle shooter than tele (most of he time) so don't need more than the 200mm I've got. In fact, when the 18-135 appears, I'll be trying to have that as the longer travel lens with the 10-24 completing the system. I may even take the X-Pro rather than the 55-200 to avoid lens changes in (dusty) Crete. I'll be taking the 18-200 to use on the 1 series though just in case there's a static tele opportunity!

Couldve bought a M43.

That's what I considered when I sold the XP1's and all my lenses. The Fuji XT1 price had started to settle so I thought I would give it a go with the anticipation of buying the Super Tele in a few months time. This has now changed so I will be considering what direction I take with my camera and lenses. I won't go back to a DSLR due to the weight and when I tried the GX7 & EM5 they felt too small in my hands.

It maybe that I have stay with Fuji, and live with the dissapointment of having to wait another year before a lens becomes available which is suitable for my needs.

@Nod. Winter 2015 -2016 probably, when on the previous Roadmap it was for this Winter 2014 - 2015.

I will say the EVF on the XT is far better than the XP1 for MF. I also found it would cause arc eye effect when using the EVF, my eye would take ages to recover after using the XP1 for a while.

It's a lot easier manual focussing with the XT but I am showing my dissapointment that I have to wait another 12 months for a AF Super Tele, when I had re-comitted to the system a few weeks previous.

Last edited:
Also, there maybe some technical reason for the delay, but for me Fuji have gone head and nails for the prime & WA route when some of the original primes along with the 18-55 & 55-200 closely covered the focal length. I dont know if primes are easier to produce than zooms, but I suppose so.

It seems odd that they introduce a camera to compete with some DSLR's, FF & top end M4/3 systems and they dont have a zoom longer than 200mm (230mm is generally for the XA & XM) for the XT1. Considering the crop factor on M4/3 and with the Panny 100-300 & Oly 75-300mm are these the markets they want to eat into??? It will be about 2 years after the release of the XT1 when they have a Super Tele, to me it seems a long time for this type of camera considering there recent lenses for the XP1 etc.

Another thing, could they build a TC to use on the 55-200mm, or will it make the lens too slow ??? I have no experience with TC's.

And while I'm at it, when do you think Sigma & Tamron will join the party, only Samyang have started with the cheaper other brands, I know Zeiss are in the game with there expensive primes.

Also, there maybe some technical reason for the delay, but for me Fuji have gone head and nails for the prime & WA route when some of the original primes along with the 18-55 & 55-200 closely covered the focal length. I dont know if primes are easier to produce than zooms, but I suppose so.

It seems odd that they introduce a camera to compete with some DSLR's, FF & top end M4/3 systems and they dont have a zoom longer than 200mm (230mm is generally for the XA & XM) for the XT1. Considering the crop factor on M4/3 and with the Panny 100-300 & Oly 75-300mm are these the markets they want to eat into??? It will be about 2 years after the release of the XT1 when they have a Super Tele, to me it seems a long time for this type of camera considering there recent lenses for the XP1 etc.

Another thing, could they build a TC to use on the 55-200mm, or will it make the lens too slow ??? I have no experience with TC's.

And while I'm at it, when do you think Sigma & Tamron will join the party, only Samyang have started with the cheaper other brands, I know Zeiss are in the game with there expensive primes.

I dont think its just that, Cscs are supposed to be compact, there are more people that will want small fast lenses than will want a large fast telephoto. Or they would buy a dslr.

Theyve introduced shorter zooms to cover the target market that will make them the most money in the shortest amount of time, once theyve built up reputation and enough money for r&d then they will produce the large telephoto, af will also be improved and the sort of people who might use that FL may look more seriously at fuji.

Hopefully the bigger 3rd party names will support the X mount at some point - maybe Fuji have got better protection in place, preventing the back engineering that has been used to support Canikontaxony. It does have to be said that the lenses are probably the X series's greatest assets although the bodies are pretty damn good too!

Last thing I want to do is whack a huge heavy lens on the front of a light compact camera. Even the 50-200 is too big in my opinion, at full extension nearly the same length as a Canon 70-200 f/4.
Has to be a compromise and if I were wanting long telephoto lenses Fuji would not be my choice.
Have you thought about Pentax, high quality comparatively light/small crop bodies and lenses go up to 300mm, longer if you use third party

http://photorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Future-Fuji-XF-lenses.jpg
Future-Fuji-XF-lenses.jpg

The 16-55mm doesn't look to big :)

Here the Nikon one i had

D3S_8983-0600.jpg

Last edited:
Why on earth would you want to use manual focus on an aircraft on a modem camera. Sounds like you are making things hard for yourself.

The split screens of the 80s made MF relatively easy but that doesn't translate to modem cameras including the X-T1.

I have used the split focus on the. X-T1 for macro but that's slow time.

I must've missed the >300mm lenses in the Fuji line up :D

From yesterday:

RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2014
by jj_glos, on Flickr

by jj_glos, on Flickr

by jj_glos, on Flickr

by jj_glos, on Flickr

by jj_glos, on Flickr

by jj_glos, on Flickr

Not a great deal of fun, and only barely fit for web use, but it was certainly an experience!

Last edited:
I must've missed the >300mm lenses in the Fuji line up :D

From yesterday:

by jj_glos, on Flickr

by jj_glos, on Flickr

by jj_glos, on Flickr

by jj_glos, on Flickr

by jj_glos, on Flickr

by jj_glos, on Flickr

Not a great deal of fun, and only barely fit for web use, but it was certainly an experience!

Have you got some dust bunnies on pic 5, just above the rear wing, right hand side when looking at photo.???

Nice set by the way.

Last edited:
Last thing I want to do is whack a huge heavy lens on the front of a light compact camera. Even the 50-200 is too big in my opinion, at full extension nearly the same length as a Canon 70-200 f/4.
Has to be a compromise and if I were wanting long telephoto lenses Fuji would not be my choice.
Have you thought about Pentax, high quality comparatively light/small crop bodies and lenses go up to 300mm, longer if you use third party

I tried the K5 (old version) as I was changing from Nikon, just didn't feel right in the hand for me.

With the telephoto, it's just me. As I am home allday due to my disabilities, the only interest I have is taking photos of the wildlife in the garden. We have a few varities as we partly back onto woodlands and the countyside, Im just frustrated as I cant capture decent pics of the small birds that frequent the garden.

Canon lens fittings. Hope somebody can help me.

I have purchased a Tokina Lens, 100-300mm ATX, f4, Red Ring, with 77m thread from the bay last night. I believe this a Pro lens being ATX.

The lens is going to take about 5 days to arrive, so planning ahead. On the photos of lens it states it's a Canon FD - EF fitting. Is there any physical difference between these fittings? I allready have a Canon FD > Fuji adapter which I use on my 28-105 f2.8. I thought canon FD, EF & EFS where all different fittings can somebody advise.?????????????

Also, with this older F4 lens, are these suitable for use with Teleconvertors?

Thanks
Simon

Pretty sure that lens will be an EF fitting, if so your adapter will not fit.
Don't know much about Fuji to EF adapters, but have a feeling they are less successful than others such as Nikon.
Sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will advise, but definitely know FD and EF are incompatible

Have you got some dust bunnies on pic 5, just above the rear wing, right hand side when looking at photo.???

Nice set by the way.

Yeah, I didn't even think to check the sensor on a two week old camera (with auto sensor cleaning) the sensor is filthy :(

The blackout time also makes the camera a pain to use for panning. I'm going to a hill climb with it next weekend so I'll see how I get on there...

Pretty sure that lens will be an EF fitting, if so your adapter will not fit.
Don't know much about Fuji to EF adapters, but have a feeling they are less successful than others such as Nikon.
Sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will advise, but definitely know FD and EF are incompatible
I saw that last night and thought it had an EF mount with contacts? Don't think it was ever made in FD mount to be honest.

You can use any teleconverter as you will be working in MF mode only, but if it's an EF lens then you won't be able to adjust the aperture (tc or not).

Thanks for the replies.

I have copied the ebay link below, if you look at picture 3 of listing it states on lens FD / EF . I have a FD lens here and it looks a totally different fitting to the one I have just bought. So is it a EF fitting????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokina-ATX-Lens-SD-100-300mm-f4-with-case-canon-mount-/151361764382?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123&nma=true&si=LnKghiC%2BoJ7LoO1hK0M%2FsRXI3w4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:
That to me looks like its a FD fitting with a FD to EF adapter fitted, you would need to remove the converter and use it with your Fuji to FD adapter

Quite an old manual focus lens, but by all accounts pretty decent quality and worth a pop for the money

That to me looks like its a FD fitting with a FD to EF adapter fitted, you would need to remove the converter and use it with your Fuji to FD adapter

Quite an old manual focus lens, but by all accounts pretty decent quality and worth a pop for the money

Yep. That's what it looks like to me too.

Also, with this older F4 lens, are these suitable for use with Teleconvertors?

The main issues with tele-converters are

1) will it physically fit? A lens element may protrude and prevent it.

The FD to EF adapter already there suggests it's more likely than not that it would be OK.

2) Loss of AF with slower lenses.

Which is not really an issue with MF glass. ;)

3) The viewfinder may get a bit dark with a TC on an f/4 lens, though the EVF will help with that.

The remaining question is how well the image quality holds up with a TC on a zoom, but that's something you'd have to evaluate for yourself.

Thanks for the replies Rob & Rich.

I contacted the seller and he's not sure of the lens as it was his Dad's. He's wrapped it up for posting as I had asked for a straight on photo of mount, so I will see if there's an adapter in place when lens turns up.

I had the lens for a lot less than advert so hopefully I have a bargain. I had read some good reviews on the lens in places like DP, MFL forums etc where it's a better performer than the the newer AF Gold Ring version.

I had the Vivitar (tokina) 100-300mm f5 which is similiar to this lens but when I tried a TC the images were poor, the TC had fungus which I stripped and cleaned and perhaps the coating was damaged. I will update when I have recieved lens and look into the TC route if needed.

If needed, with this hopefully being better glass I will be able to crop. Also, I need to buy a tripod and perhaps I can set up in garden for taking photos of the small birds using the Fuji app, this was suggested on previous page.

Again thanks for your advice and replies.

Simon

Still think Lightroom is doing a good job of Fuji colour?

10504873_10203633666858824_1552008858796743313_o.jpg

Both from the same raw file, converted in camera on the right with Velvia profile, Lightroom with Velvia profile on the left.

Both from the same raw file, converted in camera on the right with Velvia profile, Lightroom with Velvia profile on the left.

Looking at those, to me no. The green patch next to the road is more vibrant with Fuji, thats my first observation, and to me the LR picture looks flat compared to Fuji.

So why don't you edit the profile and get it to apply on import?

Also it's not profile dependant, I only applied the Velvia profile in LR to narrow down the differences in saturation and contrast.

Also it's not profile dependant, I only applied the Velvia profile in LR to narrow down the differences in saturation and contrast.

You can easily edit a profile to change saturation, sharpness, contrast, noise etc etc. in LR. Then apply as a preset. Just google it.

Thanks for the replies Rob & Rich.

I contacted the seller and he's not sure of the lens as it was his Dad's. He's wrapped it up for posting as I had asked for a straight on photo of mount, so I will see if there's an adapter in place when lens turns up.

I had the lens for a lot less than advert so hopefully I have a bargain. I had read some good reviews on the lens in places like DP, MFL forums etc where it's a better performer than the the newer AF Gold Ring version.

I had the Vivitar (tokina) 100-300mm f5 which is similiar to this lens but when I tried a TC the images were poor, the TC had fungus which I stripped and cleaned and perhaps the coating was damaged. I will update when I have recieved lens and look into the TC route if needed.

If needed, with this hopefully being better glass I will be able to crop. Also, I need to buy a tripod and perhaps I can set up in garden for taking photos of the small birds using the Fuji app, this was suggested on previous page.

Again thanks for your advice and replies.

Simon

Yes it is the old FD mount,their will a few converter out their that should fit,Canon had their own and a few other manufacture at the time did some,and i think tokina had its own one :)

That's not editing a profile, that's making a preset to apply development settings.

You can't make a preset to apply a say 1500K temperature shift which is what's needed either, you can only save absolute values for raw files. which is useless.

Thanks for the replies.

I have copied the ebay link below, if you look at picture 3 of listing it states on lens FD / EF . I have a FD lens here and it looks a totally different fitting to the one I have just bought. So is it a EF fitting????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokina-ATX-Lens-SD-100-300mm-f4-with-case-canon-mount-/151361764382?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123&nma=true&si=LnKghiC%2BoJ7LoO1hK0M%2FsRXI3w4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If you hurry you might just get this one :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUALITY-T...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item4868f1c3e9

That's not editing a profile, that's making a preset to apply development settings.

You can't make a preset to apply a say 1500K temperature shift which is what's needed either, you can only save absolute values for raw files. which is useless.

Really? make your changes, hold down ALT and click reset in the camera calibration tab, read what it says. It overwrites the current profile! So it is changing the profile.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks for that. I have just been reading about TC for Canon FD on some forums and they mention the Tokina 7 element to buy along with the Canon 2XB. Im going to wait until the lens arrives and see what the quality is like for cropping before I committ to a purchase. I have added the linked one to my watch list as he has re-listed.

Good idea :)

Back