The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Sorry, thought I'd share my excitement here. I'm proud to say I joined the "XF56mm f/1.2 owners club" today, over the moon, just need time off work to get shooting with it.

I'm one happy man!

:D

Great news peter, you just need an X-T1 to put it on, so that you can use it wide open in this fantastic weather we have. Oh wait........ :confused:

Stopped down to f5.6 - f8 I don't know if there would be much difference if any. The 16 is fantastic in low light and sharp until the edges but stop it to f2.8 and it's basically sharp everywhere. The advantage is you can keep your ISO lower by shooting wide open or at f2. But don't forget it's not as wide - my pic would not have been possible with the 16.

I cannot see myself selling the 14 - for landscapes and architecture when you need a wider FOV it is wonderful.

Great capture.

The 14mm is a great lens. I m trying to sell mine to replace it with the new 16mm. How would you compare the image quality between the two?

Stopped down to f5.6 - f8 I don't know if there would be much difference if any. The 16 is fantastic in low light and sharp until the edges but stop it to f2.8 and it's basically sharp everywhere. The advantage is you can keep your ISO lower by shooting wide open or at f2. But don't forget it's not as wide - my pic would not have been possible with the 16.

I cannot see myself selling the 14 - for landscapes and architecture when you need a wider FOV it is wonderful.

Thanks. I have the 10-24mm as well. So it's a tough one, which one to be replaced by the 14mm? If only that 14mm was a bit faster :(

Thanks. I have the 10-24mm as well. So it's a tough one, which one to be replaced by the 14mm? If only that 14mm was a bit faster :(
I've got both the 14mm and the 10-24. And I think I'll keep them both. The 10-24 is so versatile and has IS. But the 14mm is really light and extremely sharp with no distortion.

I've got both the 14mm and the 10-24. And I think I'll keep them both. The 10-24 is so versatile and has IS. But the 14mm is really light and extremely sharp with no distortion.

Terrible post! :)

I'm thinking of getting the 10-24 but would then sell the 14mm to help fund it. I usually only use primes but thought the 10-24 would allow me to leave the house with only one lens.

Would I be disappointed with the 10-24 after using the 14 for the past year?

Thoughts please......

Disappointed? Maybe. It depends how you use your zooms. I have a terrible habit of using zooms only at their extremities. I have to force myself to use them as they were intended. But I don't think you'll be too disappointed with the IQ in real-world terms. Maybe if you shoot brick walls and graphs, yes. And there is a significant weight penalty with the 10-24.

I'm thinking of getting the 10-24 but would then sell the 14mm to help fund it. I usually only use primes but thought the 10-24 would allow me to leave the house with only one lens.

Thoughts please......

I'm not really a "prime guy", but I have been amazed by how much I enjoy the 10-24 and don't regret buying it over the 14. I'm now looking at the mid-length primes, but absolutely not bothered about the wide ones just for a couple of stops of light. And I love the 10mm end far too much to give it up.

It's a couple of hundred grams heavier than a Fuji prime, but it's still not a heavy lens at all.

Last edited:

Thoughts please......

If you don't mind the more modest aperture Colin, then the 10-24mm is an excellent chunk of glass. I much prefer it to the 14mm.(y)

George.

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll probably give one try soon. The weight shouldn't be a problem as it will mean one lens when I would normally carry at least three out of the 8, 14, 18, 23. Planning on parting with all of those bar the 18. And use some of the funds towards a 90mm.

Unless of course I can't get on with the 10-24 then it's back to the drawing board.

Could have sworn that there was a quick discussion about the 50-230 that LCE in Exeter had but I'm jiggered if I can find it! They actually had 2, a silver one at £150 and a black one at £170. I decided (on the basis of the post quoted below) that it was worth giving one a try for the extra 30mm and the weight reduction (actually more important than the minor extension to me). Typically, they had sold the cheap one but luckily they had dropped the price of the black one. SOLD to the man with more money than sense!!!

The IQ on the 50-230 is, in my opinion, as good as the 55-200 for real people. The obvious difference is the max aperture. But for me the weight difference makes the 50-230 a no-brainer, especially as I rarely go over 55mm. And I have the 56mm for that.

Is there much difference in size? I wouldn't mind a smaller walkabout tele for just in case moments.

Mr C, if I decide that the 50-230 is not for me, it'll be in the classies for what I paid, to include P&P but wait until it appears there, I may well decide to keep it!

Anyone had any experience with the Sony A6000 in comparison to the XT-1/X-T10 and how it compares? I've only just learned that the A6000 exists :) and was wondering about it.

Also, what are your general thoughts on AF on Fuji X-T1/X-T10 now? I keep reading reviews on expensive Fuji lenses and often hear of the AF being slow which is a bit concerning when spending so much money. i.e. The 56mm f/1.2 and 35mm f/1.4 are supposedly both known for hunting in low light and not being the fastest at focusing. Well...for £700 on the 56mm, I'd expect it to be rather good. :)

The problem with wide aperture lenses is that there is a lot of heavy glass to move when focusing. Canon owners see the same with the 85/1.2 and 50/1.2 I believe. The 35/1.4 is an older design now (optically superb however), which is one of the reasons it doesn't focus that quickly. Will be interested to see how much faster the 35/2 focuses in comparison.

I'm definitely having a problem here. My mind has gone blank, so can anyone help?

How do I set manual mode to give me an expoosure of say 25 seconds?
I've read the book and put the settings as on P49 but I don't get M mode I get P mode.
The only way I am getting longer times is in S mode, but I don't weant that.
What am I doing wrong?

I'm definitely having a problem here. My mind has gone blank, so can anyone help?

How do I set manual mode to give me an expoosure of say 25 seconds?
I've read the book and put the settings as on P49 but I don't get M mode I get P mode.
The only way I am getting longer times is in S mode, but I don't weant that.
What am I doing wrong?

Aperture to set value, ISO to set value as well if not using Auto ISO, Shutter speed dial to T and then you use the front dial to navigate the shutter speed down to where you want it. Since the last FW update you can now use it in this mode to use the front dial to select any shutter speed, it used to be only for those speeds slower than what was on the actual shutter speed dial.

I did see that, but wondered if that wasn't solely for shutter priority. Thanks. Didn't want to make a mess of things. I presume this is a change since the last firmware upgrade?

I just requested a quote from MPB to trade my 18-55mm and 27mm for an 18mm f2 and 35mm f1.4

I so miss my primes. :help:

Marc, Exeter LCE had 3 18mms in yesterday - might be worth an ask there. Would offer to do an inspection for you but no time before holibobs. Also considering selling mine since I haven't used it in about a year (came as part of a 2 lens kit with my first Fuji, and X-Pro1. I prefer the versatility of zooms so ordered the 18-55 at the same time so only used the 18mm a few times before the zoom arrived.) If you're still searching in a couple of weeks, I'll whack it in the classies.

Just a few Macro shots that I did of a "Daddy Long Legs". Really just trying out a Tilt/Swing/Rise/Fall type lens panel that I made to take this large format lens and use it on some Adjustable/Focusing Ext Tubes that I also knocked up myself. I'm really quite pleased with the results I'm getting with this contraption.

Fuji X-T1, Schneider 120mm Makro-Symmar Lens, Self Made Adjustable Ext Tubes, 200-ISO, 1/180th @ F5.6 (Wide Open), Modified Ring Flash.

Daddy Long Legs (1)-02187 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Daddy Long Legs (2)-02241 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Daddy Long Legs (3)-02232 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome.,(y)

George.
Those are amazing George, so much detail.

Marc, Exeter LCE had 3 18mms in yesterday - might be worth an ask there. Would offer to do an inspection for you but no time before holibobs. Also considering selling mine since I haven't used it in about a year (came as part of a 2 lens kit with my first Fuji, and X-Pro1. I prefer the versatility of zooms so ordered the 18-55 at the same time so only used the 18mm a few times before the zoom arrived.) If you're still searching in a couple of weeks, I'll whack it in the classies.

Cheers Nod, will check out LCE. Have a good holiday.

Handled an XT10 when I was in John Lewis the other day, smaller than I imagined and reminded me of the XE1, not a bad thing in my book

Prefer the grip of the XT1 although the smaller lighter body does appeal, would have probably got the newer model had they both been around when I was buying

At 279 and 249 respectively (Mifsuds retail) from a dealer, that offer seems a bit lowball, Marc. Not really thought about a price for my 18 but would think that about 200 isn't unreasonable (inc P&P). (Please note that that is NOT an offer to sell, just a gentle musing IF I decide to part with it!)

Anyone had any experience with the Sony A6000 in comparison to the XT-1/X-T10 and how it compares? I've only just learned that the A6000 exists :) and was wondering about it.

Also, what are your general thoughts on AF on Fuji X-T1/X-T10 now? I keep reading reviews on expensive Fuji lenses and often hear of the AF being slow which is a bit concerning when spending so much money. i.e. The 56mm f/1.2 and 35mm f/1.4 are supposedly both known for hunting in low light and not being the fastest at focusing. Well...for £700 on the 56mm, I'd expect it to be rather good. :)

I have both and the X-T1 is simply a joy to take pictures with. The A6000 is also a joy to use and I love both. I use the A6000 for macro mainly because of the sensor. And the Fuji for everything else.... love both of them

But you'll be better off for it. Lovely colours and glorious IQ in general. Fuji lenses are the best around and the combination is a winner. I'm off to the IOW tomorrow for a day and looking forward to taking some general pictures with the superb XF "kit"lens

View attachment 44584 Took my new (to me) x-t1 out for the first time last night. Decided to do some impromptu long exposures of the waves. May have caught the bug as it was fun seeing what comes out. Managed to forget my tripod though. Hence the low angle perched on my camera bag. Also need some better filters. Any one got any good recommendations? I like the look of the LEE filters but not the price.

Back