The Football Thread - Season 2012/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
tippy tappy football is rubbish to watch though. Who can remember watching Italian football on C4 when we first got the rights to watch it. Incredibly boring when both teams hold possession so easily.

We need teams that are a tad different for entertainment.
i can easily fall asleep watching Barcelona after the 50th 5 yard pass and yes Italian football was awful but its not all bad I'd much rather rather watch a side ripped open with a few incisive passes than a big punt up the park and a flick on:)

Yes, but Blackpool put the marker down and proved a team could attack and show the big boys up. Swansea just refined that and proved ball a team can't hurt you as much if they don't have the ball and you're organised.

Leigh, your point is valid too.

Actually I think it was hull before Blackpool in their return to the pl. That first half a season when they beat arsenal and spurs nod took every game to whoever they played. They didn't carry on in the second half of the season, but they sewed the seed that Blackpool seemed to emulate much better

i can easily fall asleep watching Barcelona after the 50th 5 yard pass and yes Italian football was awful but its not all bad I'd much rather rather watch a side ripped open with a few incisive passes than a big punt up the park and a flick on:)

I find Barcelona and especially Spain a bit boring. Can't argue with their success though. :shrug:

I used to like the Italian footy when it first started on C4. :) All football was a bit slower then, and they had some of the best players in the world, who actually used to stand out amongst the rest of the players. Batigollllll. :D

Actually I think it was hull before Blackpool in their return to the pl. That first half a season when they beat arsenal and spurs nod took every game to whoever they played. They didn't carry on in the second half of the season, but they sewed the seed that Blackpool seemed to emulate much better

What about Newcastle....weren't they the 1st Prem team to go out all guns blazing?

What about Newcastle....weren't they the 1st Prem team to go out all guns blazing?

I think most are talking about a promoted team with little or no money going for it. Whilst Newcastle have been up and down, they have always had money.

I think Hull, as mentioned, may have been one of the first notable 'small' teams to give it a go.

I think most are talking about a promoted team with little or no money going for it. Whilst Newcastle have been up and down, they have always had money.

I think Hull, as mentioned, may have been one of the first notable 'small' teams to give it a go.

Well I will have to disagree then as both Norwich and Ipswich both did the same and finished quite high up the league giving 'it a go' and then there was Oldham too although they never finished in the top half...they always played with a passing mentality and some superb passing players.

Swansea finished 2nd?? in the 80's and Reading had a good finish a few years back iirc

Well I will have to disagree then as both Norwich and Ipswich both did the same and finished quite high up the league giving 'it a go' and then there was Oldham too although they never finished in the top half...they always played with a passing mentality and some superb passing players.

The point I'm making is even though there were teams like Ipswich and Hull it was Blackpool that changed the landscape and seemed to provide the catalyst for all the others to have a go. Before them most would park the bus or even play weakened teams against the top four.

If Liverpool don't get something out of this game Brenda is going to be "bitterly bitterly disappointed"

Depends on your definition of top half team. If you mean the current top half then you're wrong as we beat west brom already this season. It was in the cup but we still beat them.

Also we have beaten other teams that have been in the top 10 over the period of the season that aren't in it now. Like west ham for example.

Joe, cup wins don't count towards the league ;) What I should have said is, you've yet to beat a team above you, which for most of the season has been the majority of the league.

Joe, cup wins don't count towards the league ;) What I should have said is, you've yet to beat a team above you, which for most of the season has been the majority of the league.

Can't beat teams below 'em now!

The Broject is in danger !

WBA fans singing "Brendan give us a graph, Brendan Brendan give us a graph"

Last edited:

Ok great, now you have defined the rules to fit within your hypothesis it all makes more clearer sense. :LOL:

Didn't see the game as was having ales with a friend. Had it streaming on sky go and watched the penalty miss, which didnt look like it should have been a pen anyway. Next time I looked it was 0-2.

The baggies doing the double on us. Poor show

I can't believe Liverpool are only 12 points off fourth!

Ok great, now you have defined the rules to fit within your hypothesis it all makes more clearer sense. :LOL:

Hmm, let me see, we were talking about upcoming league games, and I highlighted your record against teams in the top half of the league, you brought up a cup win which has absolutely no relevance on the league, yet it's me creating my own rules to fit a hypothesis that doesn't fit with the cults viewpoint :bonk:

Last edited:
Hmm, let me see, we were talking about upcoming league games, and I highlighted your record against teams in the top half of the league, you brought up a cup win which has absolutely no relevance on the league, yet it's me creating my own rules to fit a hypothesis that doesn't fit with the cults viewpoint :bonk:

Exactly (y)

If 12 points clear at the top with 12 games to go means the league is all wrapped up, does being 12 points off 4th with 12 games to go mean that's also a forgone conclusion?

If 12 points clear at the top with 12 games to go means the league is all wrapped up, does being 12 points off 4th with 12 games to go mean that's also a forgone conclusion?

Very likely.

But the teams are different. There is literally no way that Manchester United will drop enough points and city will regain enough points. It's all sewn up at the top I will bet anyone here £1000 that's the truth.

Anyone want to take that bet on?

Very likely.

But the teams are different. There is literally no way that Manchester United will drop enough points and city will regain enough points. It's all sewn up at the top I will bet anyone here £1000 that's the truth.

At what odds?

Very likely.

The league will more than likely be over on April 5, when Utd play Citeh; the ultimate 6 pointer ;)

Very likely.

£1000 against what? Man United are currently 1/33, City, 16/1, Chelsea 150/1, Spurs 250/1 and Arsenel 500/1 on bet365.

Just seen the penalty Liverpool were awarded......jeeesh...did Jonas sneeze or something?

actually I just checked this and you are wrong about this too.

West ham spent the first 16 weeks of the season in the top half of the table ad above liverpool. When liverpool beat them 3-2 they were 10th and liverpool 12th

am I right or am I wrong?

I think that stat came about at a prticular point in the season when somebody noticed that the only teams Liverpool had beaten were (by then) beneath them. From then on, it's continued.

With that result, Liverpool moved up to 10th - above West Ham (11th) on goal difference. Not that it really matters - I would say Liverpool had beaten a team above them but depending on what you were wanting to convey - when the game ended, Liverpool had beaten a team below them in the bottom half of the table.

Last edited:
I think that stat came about at a prticular point in the season when somebody noticed that the only teams Liverpool had beaten were (by then) beneath them. From then on, it's continued.

With that result, Liverpool moved up to 10th - above West Ham (11th) on goal difference. Not that it really matters - I would say Liverpool had beaten a team above them but depending on what you were wanting to convey - when the game ended, Liverpool had beaten a team below them in the bottom half of the table.

exactly.

You can craft the exact rules to fit within whatever you want to say.

West ham spent the first 16 weeks of the season in the top half of the table ad above liverpool. When liverpool beat them 3-2 they were 10th and liverpool 12th

maybe they could use that quote in Liverpool's honours list for this season then?

nearly 30 points off the top though:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Couldn't resist

A0nHYqSCMAEASFF.jpg:large

I have literally no idea what this post means. Please could you explain. Obviously I have read the link. It's tour comment underneath I am having trouble with. Seriously. What does it mean? *confused little man smiley face*

Liverpool have been described on here several times as the gift that just keeps giving, largely in reference to their various PR activities and Suarez's antics. Obviously there's an irony in their concern over racism given Suarez's history. :)

Liverpool have been described on here several times as the gift that just keeps giving, largely in reference to their various PR activities and Suarez's antics. Obviously there's an irony in their concern over racism given Suarez's history. :)

there has been some tenuous links in the past but this has got to be the most tenuous I've seen.

So because Suarez got a ban for racism and the club are rightly concerned about racism at zenit its the gift that keeps giving? :shrug:

how exactly?

If the club do have concerns about racism being thrown at fans and at players on the pitch - how would you suggest they handled those concerns so they weren't "giving"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back