The Football Thread - Season 2012/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just woke, had a horrible nightmare that we conceded 4 goals against MK Dons at home. Really looking forwards to this aftern........oh.

Bizarrely, I was actually asleep as my 20 minute turned into 2 hours - little one staying with grandparents so usual alarm not going off!

Woke up, saw it was 4-0, refreshed page to check, said Bothroyd had scored, refreshed page to check. Refreshed page again. Then :eek::puke::shrug::bonk:

when I saw the team, it should have been good enough to win, though I guess it shows the Ferdinand Haim central defence might not be the one to choose for City on Tuesday!

Bizarrely, I was actually asleep as my 20 minute turned into 2 hours - little one staying with grandparents so usual alarm not going off!

Woke up, saw it was 4-0, refreshed page to check, said Bothroyd had scored, refreshed page to check. Refreshed page again. Then :eek::puke::shrug::bonk:

when I saw the team, it should have been good enough to win, though I guess it shows the Ferdinand Haim central defence might not be the one to choose for City on Tuesday!

I thought you might have gone but bet you're glad you didn't. Has to be Nelsen/Hill on Tuesday but the scary thing is that, if I've heard right, it's Nelsen's last game so, unless Harry makes any inspired signings before the deadline, gawd knows what the central defensive pairing is going to be like for Norwich on Saturday.

I thought you might have gone but bet you're glad you didn't. Has to be Nelsen/Hill on Tuesday but the scary thing is that, if I've heard right, it's Nelsen's last game so, unless Harry makes any inspired signings before the deadline, gawd knows what the central defensive pairing is going to be like for Norwich on Saturday.

In the summer we were desperate for central defenders, now we are desperate for central defenders. I expect us to sign another midfielder and striker!

Genuinely terrified what will happen once Nelsen goes - perhaps Onuoha or Mbia will move to there, but I would not move Mbia now.

I'd rather we played 3 at the back than bring Ferdinand back in! Not looking forward to Man Utd at home in a couple of weeks without Nelsen!

In the summer we were desperate for central defenders, now we are desperate for central defenders. I expect us to sign another midfielder and striker!

Genuinely terrified what will happen once Nelsen goes - perhaps Onuoha or Mbia will move to there, but I would not move Mbia now.

I'd rather we played 3 at the back than bring Ferdinand back in! Not looking forward to Man Utd at home in a couple of weeks without Nelsen!

The main problem is that no-one wants to come to us, Harry's been wandering around Europe trying to persuade players who've already said they didn't even want to talk to him.

Ohuoha has been very good at RB in the last couple of games but not convinced about him in the centre but he may be our only choice. M'bia needs to stay where he is and as for Ferdinand, remember when Souness was tricked into giving a trial to someone whom it was claimed was George Weah's brother? I can't help think that the same has happened here except that no-one's twigged yet!

Gareth Bale vs Theo Walcott 2012/13:
Apps - 24 vs 27
Goals - 11 vs 17
Assists - 5 vs 11

Top 3 players for chance conversion from open play this season:
1. Walcott 31.3%
2. Hernandez 30.8%
3. Podolski 30.4%.

Reputation - "World Class" vs "Inconsistent" & "Wasteful"

:bonk:

TriggerHappy said:
Apps - 24 vs 27
Goals - 11 vs 17
Assists - 5 vs 11

1. Walcott 31.3%
2. Hernandez 30.8%
3. Podolski 30.4%.

Isn't Walcott playing as striker this season? By the way I think in doing so he's having his best season at the arse.

dinners said:
Deal agreed for Wilfried Zaha

Manchester United, Crystal Palace and Wilfried Zaha have reached an agreement for the player to join Manchester United in July 2013.

The player is having a medical in Manchester today (Friday 25 January).

There will be no further comment by any party until Wilfried joins United in July 2013, although Sir Alex did speak briefly about the deal at his Friday morning press-conference.

"As we like to do, we sign young players with potential," the manager said.

"We can also develop players well here. That’s proved to be the case many times.

"Hopefully the boy will enjoy it coming here when he eventually does join us in the summer."

The word on the palace boards is £15-17m. If that's true, and we keep him until the end of the season, that's a great deal.

TriggerHappy said:
Apps - 24 vs 27
Goals - 11 vs 17
Assists - 5 vs 11

1. Walcott 31.3%
2. Hernandez 30.8%
3. Podolski 30.4%.

Don't get me wrong. Bale is a very good player, but overhyped IMO. Walcott the better player.

Have a bad feeling about the Oldham tie. So to hedge my bets and make me feel better I have a fiver on Oldham to win at 13-1.

dinners said:
If they were = price - I'd take Bale out of the two.

The bit that makes me laugh is the media's attitude towards them. Take the Leeds game today, Bale was virtually anonymous all game and the commentators kept saying that he's "poised to do something remarkable". If Walcott has an off game then they say that's the problem with him, you never know which Walcott will turn up. The general disparity, inconsistency and bias in the media is a joke at times.

Have a bad feeling about the Oldham tie. So to hedge my bets and make me feel better I have a fiver on Oldham to win 13-1.

i know Liverpool are a pretty mediocre side, but i don't think oldham will win 13-1 :D

Laugh.gif

£6,500 in my pocket wouldn't make getting done over by much lower league opposition easier to take!

Embarrassing! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

really?

Blimey, you take football way too seriously then! I'd be happy to go out of the FA Cup to a non league side for £6,500!!

Just asked 4 mates who i'm watching the footy with who all agreed for £6,500 they'd be happy to see their team out of the Cup. My father in law even said he'd be happy with relegation for £6,500!!!! and he's been going to old trafford since he was 13 :LOL::LOL:

Just asked 4 mates who i'm watching the footy with who all agreed for £6,500 they'd be happy to see their team out of the Cup. My father in law even said he'd be happy with relegation for £6,500!!!! and he's been going to old trafford since he was 13 :LOL::LOL:

Ask me - ask me.......

Lets actually start a discussion on that. If you had the power to throw a game - what amount would you accept to have your team knocked out of the fourth round of the FA Cup? Would that figure change depensing on the opposition and what amount would draw the line?

£6,500 would be easy peasy for me, i'd take that every time, even against manurenited

joescrivens said:
Lets actually start a discussion on that. If you had the power to throw a game - what amount would you accept to have your team knocked out of the fourth round of the FA Cup? Would that figure change depensing on the opposition and what amount would draw the line?

£6,500 would be easy peasy for me, i'd take that every time, even against manurenited

Interesting to try and see where the line is drawn. At £6,500 there's no doubt I'd take the money. If it was only £500 I'd be much less inclined to accept so I suspect the tipping point is around £750 for me personally. That said, I never have and never will bet on my team to lose so it's largely irrelevant. £65 would offer me no consolation at all!

Would probably be happy for £65, let alone £6500!!!

Interesting to try and see where the line is drawn. At £6,500 there's no doubt I'd take the money. If it was only £500 I'd be much less inclined to accept so I suspect the tipping point is around £750 for me personally. That said, I never have and never will bet on my team to lose so it's largely irrelevant. £65 would offer me no consolation at all!

Would it matter who you were playing? Would the price go up if it were spurs for example?

I'm similar I wouldn't choose to throw the game for £65. But if they are going to lose anyway then id rather have the £65 than nothing as it helps comfort the blow.

I think I'd go for less than £500 though. Probably £300 would be around my tipping point.

If it were the final then it would be higher and to win the prem title it would probably need to be in the 3,000+ region.

Last edited:
Would probably be happy for £65, let alone £6500!!!

Lol. Old simmo needs to rethink his priorities don't ya think! Not even being happy at £6500 he must be a much richer person than us! Either that or he's obsessing over footy a little too much. (y)

Otherwise you'd be out of the cup and no money to show for it ;)

Good question though. Obviously much depends on people's own circumstances. After that it obviously depends on the game in question.

4th round of the FA Cup - £65 hmm I'd take the result over the money
4th round of the FA Cup - £6,500 - I'd take the money all day long.
4th round of the FA Cup - £750 might be about me.

The only single United game I wouldn't swap £6,500 for would be the CL final in 99 but only because the League and FA cup were in the bag and the Treble was so much more than a CL win. Had the League or FA cup not been won then I'd have taken the money.

A Premier League game - that's a tough one to price up. 3 points is 3 points regardless of who we're playing and who knows how important that might be at the end of the season.

How about England in World Cup final. I would rather have England win the world cup than £6,500.

Last edited:
There's always a price but for England in the World Cup I'd sacrifice £6500.

£10,000 though? Ooooh I dunno. £20,000 I'd have to take the money, or maybe not! Argh England World Cup final would be a tough one.

Great day for my club Brentford holding the champions of Europe, Chelsea, to a 2-2 draw.
Fantastic atmosphere as the soft sqillionaires huffed and puffed and conceded twice.

Although I'd like to have ground their gold-plated snouts into the Griffin Park mud a replay
at their palace will earn us much needed cash to finance our push for promotion.

i would forfeit £6,500 without a second thought, if i could rewind and Aguero missed that winning goal against QPR at the end of last season. I was in a boozer equally split with City and United and it was pure hell when they scored the winner. Luckily i had about 8 pints inside me, so it was a bit like falling down the stairs when you're bladdered and you don't feel the pain until the morning.

There's always a price but for England in the World Cup I'd sacrifice £6500.

£10,000 though? Ooooh I dunno. £20,000 I'd have to take the money, or maybe not! Argh England World Cup final would be a tough one.

I couldn't give a crap about England so would take £50. ;)

joescrivens said:
Would it matter who you were playing? Would the price go up if it were spurs for example?

This is what I was trying to decide. Losing to Bradford was more of a disappointment than losing to Spurs because they should have been a team we walked over. I think that factor off-sets the importance of any local rivalry so it's roughly the same.

League games are different again. On one hand every game is only a matter of 3 points - arguably 6 points if it's against immediate competition for the position - but the league means far more to me than the domestic cup competitions.

How much money would you have to pay me to be happy with a loss against Liverpool on Wednesday, considering we look set for a fight for 4th? Probably quite a lot!

I take it that because of all this 'if' stuff on here tonight, Liverpool have lost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back