The G1.. finally getting appreciated?

Thanks Richie - and welcome martsharm :)

Not read that before - like the sound of the 55mm 1.2. I have a couple of Tokina FD fit lenses too - a 70-210 zoom which is not bad at all, and a 28-70 zoom which is pretty soft but has a kind of cool 'retro' look to the pics.

I was hoping I might be able to get slightly better DOF with the 50mm FD macro than I do with the Raynox, but we'll have to see.

Last edited:
Thanks Richie - and welcome martsharm :)

Not read that before - like the sound of the 55mm 1.2. I have a couple of Tokina FD fit lenses too - a 70-210 zoom which is not bad at all, and a 28-70 zoom which is pretty soft but has a kind of cool 'retro' look to the pics.

I was hoping I might be able to get slightly better DOF with the 50mm FD macro than I do with the Raynox, but we'll have to see.

When you say better so you mean smaller or larger.

The bokeh from what I have seen (as I havent got a Raynox is creamier).

I am trying to get a 135mm f2.5 as a long zoom, not convinced about the 45-200, your shots are the best I have seen but I am worried about the long end.

I was meaning larger - I'm sure I read somewhere that the Raynox gave a smaller DOF than a dedicated macro lens for somer reason?

The 45-200 is definitely a weaker performer than the other kit lenses - it is sometimes possible to get sharp shots at the longer end but it seems very hit and miss - even with very high shutter speeds. It's usually pretty decent up to about 150mm or so though I would say.

I was meaning larger - I'm sure I read somewhere that the Raynox gave a smaller DOF than a dedicated macro lens for somer reason?

The 45-200 is definitely a weaker performer than the other kit lenses - it is sometimes possible to get sharp shots at the longer end but it seems very hit and miss - even with very high shutter speeds. It's usually pretty decent up to about 150mm or so though I would say.

Difficult to say, shame you are not closer as I would be happy for you to give mine a go before you buy. However, I used to have a Nikon 105mm VR and I think the Canon has a larger DOF than that.

I am going to pass on the 45-200, I wasnt happy with the PL 45mm so think that the zoom is a non starter.

From what I have heard the IQ on the 45-200 falls off from around 150.

Am I right, the consensus is, JPG's are not so good from the G1-GF1, the recommendation, shoot RAW.

OK, after much playing, I think I've come to grips with the G1 . . . ? :thinking: Its not easy for me, I continuously fight my dyslexic condition, but we get there in the end . . . one even find it satisfying 'to beat the system' so to speak!!!

It appears there is no colour/saturation/sharpness options in the camera menu? However we have the 'my colour mode' but it appears the camera is then in some sort of JPG auto mode? I cant see any way of holding these revises colour changes in any of the other modes and programs?

Therefore, shooting, JPG/RAW, looking at the JPG picture in Elements or windows, its a bit flat lackluster, as per some of the 'knock the G1' samples I have seen on line. However, although I cannot view the RAW file in Windows, Elements 7 does recognise it, and I can make adjustments there to RAW, or JPG in Elements.

If I'm right, its the akiles heel of the G1 :| . . . does everything a DSLR does, accept offer the option of, in camera JPG colour type picture adjustment across the various modes and programs . . . just like a compact, there is not even a 'cover all modes', general 'vivid' option:shrug:

CJS

I'm wrong, select 'my colour mode' then press Q,Menu/Display, and the camera displays the settings menu, seems its in a semi auto mode all of its own, more play time required . . . :thinking: :bonk::LOL:

CJS

Last edited:
Gonna pop into my local Jessops and have a play with this to see if I'll get on with this :)

Don a bit more digging in DC Review, discovered 'Film mode' thats the color/sharpness adjustments, out of camera JPG picture . . . found it in the end, its even on a button on the top of the camera, RHS, back corner :shrug:

However, its a bit mean on 'adjustment amount' say DCR, seem to remember this as a criticism of the Nikon D80 . . . I had, and loved a D80 for a long time so I think I might be able to live with it. Not so keen on 'in the face' colour any way. However, I think the standard, as is, out of camera JPG setting does need a bit of a lift though?

OK, once I got into it, the basic adjustments are limited, but enough for me. However there are a whole load of preset options like Standard, Vivid, Dynamic, Nature, Smooth, B&W, it goes on, all with the limited adjustments to be applied if required, so DCR's gripe of not enough adjustment, seems to me, 'they did not look deep enough'?. . . . Unfortunately the days light has gone from bad to worse, pointless doing any more test shots . . .

CJS

Last edited:
Finally got a picture opportunity with the G1 . . . ?

Hows this for a point and hope macro, 4x macro filter, 14-45mm lens. Weather so poor this weekend this was the only picture I could get, 6pm this evening:shrug:

1MarigoldrwP1000055.jpg

CJS

Nice clear shot and the focus looks fine to me, and thanks for all your help.
Smithy

Just got myself a G1 body from Mathers. Tried it yesterday with the 45-200 and found it handled much better than the GF1 and EVF combo I'm used to. The viewfinder is brilliant. Another success and further vindication for my decision to ditch Canon.

P1000718.jpg

P1000672.jpg

P1000637.jpg

Love the heat haze in the 'plane shots :D

I dislike shooting in Raw on my G1 now.
My bloody Photoshop CS3 won't open them and the converters and stuff don't work :(

Nice plane shots Glenn - totally agree about the 45-200mm and the G1.

Dannbodge - Lightroom 3 works brilliantly with the GF1/G1 raw files imo. Silkypix works but it's not very good imo.

A few shots from the weekend.

No crit - I know they're not brill... they were all hand held 'snaps' whilst we were walking around the woods. All using the 14-45mm with natural light / OBF & a little auto smartfix in Elements.

img06.jpg

img07.jpg

img09.jpg

img11.jpg

img08.jpg

and a few others...

img02.jpg

img03.jpg

img04.jpg

Any views on whether the G2 is worth the extra over the G1? As far as I can see - minor ergonomic changes, touch screen, video and slight change to kit lens.

Depends if you are interested in video really imo - the touch screen doesn't seem like that big a deal. I believe the new kit lens is meant to be slightly less good quality.

Yeah, read that the lens body is longer, despite slightly shorter range, plus move to plastic mount to save a few grams.

Yeah, read that the lens body is longer, despite slightly shorter range, plus move to plastic mount to save a few grams.

Glad I bought the G1.....:)

Well pleased with my kit now(y)

I feel an almost irresistable urge to open my wallet and buy one.......... I want eh extra range the second kit lens (45-200) provides. Is this the best option for telephoto and is buying the 2 lens kit the most economic way of achieving that extra range?

There aren't really any other options for telephoto atm (other than legacy manual focus lenses) - there is supposed to be a 100-300mm coming out some time this year.

There is discussion of it further back in the thread but the 45-200 is not a stunning performer compared to the other kit lenses. Pretty decent up to about 150mm though I would say.

Not sure what is the most economic way - doesn't look like you save much by getting it in with a kit. £360 with the discount code from camerapricebuster (plus £50 cashback) with Currys seems to be the current best price - pretty damn cheap with the excellent 14-45 kit lens. You should be able to get quidco too.

Mathers are doing the twin lens kit for £599 actually - so £550 with cashback.

Last edited:
In that case it could be over-exposed a bit, try dropping a 1/3 of a stop, it looks like its blowing out a bit - not really surprising really given the sun today.

David - do you have the highlight function and/or the histogram displayed on the LCD ?
Helps a lot with judging exposure.

Nice sharp goose though :D

David - do you have the highlight function and/or the histogram displayed on the LCD ?
Helps a lot with judging exposure.

Nice sharp goose though :D

No I haven't because I mainly use the camera on Auto.....a lot easier at my time of life.....Looked at Histograms and can't work them out so its Auto for me.

Just managed to get a decent deal on a GH1, any objection if I stay on this thread, otherwise I think I will be billy no mates!

I think we should let you stay... it kinda looks like a G1 anyway :D

Just managed to get a decent deal on a GH1, any objection if I stay on this thread, otherwise I think I will be billy no mates!

Can't have you with no mates, so stay with us and show us your GH1 pictures

Back