The G1.. finally getting appreciated?

five pages down? must...not...bump...the...thread...

4755334984_ac8da9506b_b.jpg

a friend brought round his Canon 450D and he's just bought the EF-S 609mm macro. Lovely, but it's still so darned big.... so I'm looking at the raynox...

4755348784_6f4021e1c4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Loving these pics :)

Desperate to get my hands on a G2......just got to get rid of my 450D first :(

I have just bought a G2 from a TP member for £425. Should get it by Tuesday, cant wait.

My reasons for going for the G1 where a little different to most.

I'm now disabled and bed bound, but still wanted to carry on with my photography in any way I could.
My disability had already seen me having to sell my DSLR kit as I could not manage the weight of it, so I bought myself a little Canon G11, whilst I love that camera,it is lacking in telephoto range something I found I wanted to photograph moths on my walls and the birds outside the window.

After much thought an evening spent strapping extra weight (pouches of tobacco, spare batteries etc lol) to my G11 to make sure I could handle the weight of the G1 and lens and the sale of my astrophotography I took the plunge.

I do like the G1, its just not as well made as the little canon, so feels like I have taken a step down in the hands and there are certainly some issues (I'll list them at the end).
But overall its doing what I want, the main disappointment has been the cost of accessories and lenses!!

Size
weight
Lens format
LVF and LCD
Mechanical shutter
Ergonomics
Adaptability using after-market adaptors
Display of rear menu's in LVF
Front grip control dial and quick menu system
Soft touch body covering
Mega OIS system
Film modes
Jpg quality not to over compressed.

Dislikes:

EVF and LCD in low light
Slow lenses as standard
No macro/long close focus distances
Control layout (evf/lcd switch redundant, AF select dial a waste, could be ISO or Exposure compensation with stacked AF switch underneath).
Menu's not that intuitive
Low light (indoor) performance
Abysmal software issues especially with RAW on 64bit systems.
Not showing as a device in camera's with windows (no .inf file) so have to treat camera as an external drive and do things manually.
Tying to expensive own brand accessories such as batteries/remote release etc.
Price of lenses (macro £600, slow 14-140 £700 etc).
Current lack of third party support for lens mount (sigma/tamron etc)

Thought I'd have a nose in the g1 thread as I have had an idea...

Do the panasonic m4/3 cameras share the same battery as well as the same lens mount?

For example, if I sold the 7d and associated canon gear, picked up a g1 before the cash back runs out (approx £340 after cashback for g1 + 14-45mm) I would have all panasonic m4/3 gear and therefore a highly interchangeable system.

20mm + 14-45mm, 2 bodies, same batteries / memory cards etc

Or look at it another way - buy a 14-45 for the gf1 and get a g1 body for an extra 140 quid (which i know was the reasoning behind a lot of the gf1'ers in buying a g1 as it is less and better quality than the gf1 EVF add-on)

Or should I be looking at the g2? Video does not interest me on a camera so what are the other benefits?

Alan - it's the same battery etc - quite handy having a spare battery and charger etc

Not sure what the benefit of G2 is other than the touch screen allowing you to select focus points, which might be quite neat but hardly a deal breaker.

Thought I'd have a nose in the g1 thread as I have had an idea...

Do the panasonic m4/3 cameras share the same battery as well as the same lens mount?

For example, if I sold the 7d and associated canon gear, picked up a g1 before the cash back runs out (approx £340 after cashback for g1 + 14-45mm) I would have all panasonic m4/3 gear and therefore a highly interchangeable system.

20mm + 14-45mm, 2 bodies, same batteries / memory cards etc

Or look at it another way - buy a 14-45 for the gf1 and get a g1 body for an extra 140 quid (which i know was the reasoning behind a lot of the gf1'ers in buying a g1 as it is less and better quality than the gf1 EVF add-on)

Or should I be looking at the g2? Video does not interest me on a camera so what are the other benefits?

I initially bought a GF1 and EVF and was so pleased that I sold my Canon 50D plus some L glass. After a while I realised there are limitations to the GF1 so I then bought a G1 too, I now have the 14-45, the 20, the 7-14 and the 45-200, interchangeable batteries and cards and I've never looked back. Plus it all fits in a Crumpler Muffin Top 5500, weighing less than 2 kilos. I get excellent IQ from both cameras. The £50 cashback arrived this week after only 2 weeks. I am one happy bunny!

With a G1 do you not get hot sweaty greasy fingerprints on the screen from the touch focus thing? Just wondered!! :)

Cheers guys useful info
Cashback expires on the 18/07 (unless they extend it again) and hopefully mathers still have g1 in stock

I read the new 14-42 kit lens is plastic mount and feels cheaper not sure if the iq is better/worse/same

Got to keep the 7d & speedlite etc til the 7th August when I am taking pics for sisters wedding reception - but need to decide before that cos of cashback:bonk:

My G1 and GF1 batteries are exactly the same......so have have an unsused charger in reserve.:)

Anyone know where I can get a list of participating dealers for the cashback please?

Mathers seems 1st choice ATM - got my little Geoff from them

Last edited:
Anyone know where I can get a list of participating dealers for the cashback please?

Mathers seems 1st choice ATM - got my little Geoff from them

I got my kit from Mathers, they even fill in the claim form for you! (y)

In all honesty Alan I wouldn't get rid of the 7D unless you can no longer manage it and need to get something smaller for that reason.
The quality of shots from the G series still wont stand up to a 7D and decent glass.

I would however consider trading or selling the GF1 to get the G1, there are also some really good body only deals on the G1, and you could use the lenses from your GF1 on it.

And I will throw a couple of my images into the mix, please click the thumbnails for a decent sized image.

Dad

Entangled

Entwined

Sublime

Old friend

In all honesty Alan I wouldn't get rid of the 7D unless you can no longer manage it and need to get something smaller for that reason.
The quality of shots from the G series still wont stand up to a 7D and decent glass.

I would however consider trading or selling the GF1 to get the G1, there are also some really good body only deals on the G1, and you could use the lenses from your GF1 on it.

And I will throw a couple of my images into the mix, please click the thumbnails for a decent sized image.

Some great shots there and useful advice Ian, thanks.

I've been to'ing and fro'ing with my camera gear for a while now. Perhaps I am spending more time focusing on that than the actual photos :bonk:

I love the GF1+20mm combo I have currently, I take it everywhere, I have got some great shots with it - I am not a pro and have no desire to be, however I do appreciate and strive for great photos.

I have only owned 2 DSLR's - a 40D and a 7D - I even went through a stage of collecting lenses - but those days are behind me now, I have other things I would like to spend my money on. I have a 7D, 17-85mm, Sigma 10-20mm and a Speedlite 580EXII - and to me it seems a chore to take it anywhere. I never like lugging loads of stuff around. Having it sitting in the cupboard depreciating is a total waste.

So, initially I thought that I would sell the Canon gear, sure there are reasons to keep it, but there are also plenty to sell it. I was going to settle for the GF1 + 20mm and buy the 14-45mm especially as I wouldn't have the DSLR any more.

Then I realised for another £140 I could have a G1 body too - I know this is never going to compete with the 7D - no optical finder, slower FPS, lower usable ISO range and lack of affordable lens choices. But, it means I have a 2 body, 2 lens system, shared battery, memory cards and chargers - the Little Geoff for discrete stuff and the G1 for when I need an EVF/Tilt-able LCD.

I reckon even after selling all the Canon gear and buying a G1 (with the cash back) I'll still have £1000 in my pocket to spend elsewhere (y)

Last edited:
I reckon even after selling all the Canon gear and buying a G1 (with the cash back) I'll still have £1000 in my pocket to spend elsewhere

Until you realise you need the 7-14mm, then you won't have enough money! :D

Just ordered a G1 & 14-45 kit from park cameras - thanks oldboy

Works out at £318 after cashback, so if you take off the lens @ approx £190, battery £55, I have a G1 body for about £75 quid !

Not sure if this is instead of or aswell as the 7d yet a so for the minute I have 3 cameras :bonk:

Alan if your thinking of getting any more lenses and want to try first pop round mate and you can bung one of mine on to see how it is.

Damn you all, i have just ordered a G1 / 14-54 to go with my GF1 that i just ordered.

So in the space of 24 hours i've gone from having a Panny TZ7 to a GF1 / G1 / 20mm / 14-54, but the prices were too good to ignore really and if needed i could always sell them on and lose very little at all.

(y)

Damn you all, i have just ordered a G1 / 14-54 to go with my GF1 that i just ordered.

So in the space of 24 hours i've gone from having a Panny TZ7 to a GF1 / G1 / 20mm / 14-54, but the prices were too good to ignore really and if needed i could always sell them on and lose very little at all.

(y)

Didn't you have a GF1 before? (y)

I have a Crumpler Muffin Top 5500 (stupid name, good bag) which holds GF1, G1 14-45, 7-14, 20 and 45-200 plus EVF, spare batteries and cards.

crumpler.jpg

WOW,
Im impressed with the images from this camera. I'm currently looking at a replacement for my DSLR as I want something more compact and something to help me develop my photo technique.

Very impressive..!

Just got hold of a G1, it's a great little camera. Reminds of my first DSLR the D40. I also have an E-P1 and I find they compliment each other, G1 for when I need a DSLR and the E-P1 for more discreet street photography.

Here's a couple with the Oly 9-18mm mounted:

4830257428_d077f873d0_o.jpg

4830257610_438c359925_o.jpg

Just got hold of a G1, it's a great little camera. Reminds of my first DSLR the D40. I also have an E-P1 and I find they compliment each other, G1 for when I need a DSLR and the E-P1 for more discreet street photography.

Here's a couple with the Oly 9-18mm mounted:

Great shots

Is this the Olympus 9-18 in m4/3 mount or do you need an adapter? Does this still allow auto focus and auto aperture etc?

Back