The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

In terms of GAS I still want an A1 and 400mm f2.8 but that’s just pipe dream GAS ;)
I had an A1. once.... a used Canon A1! It was my second Canon SLR and the owner of the camera shop let me buy it for £20 a month several decades ago in Margate...

Impulse purchase over the weekend - of a Leica X2 and all the bits.
Apparently virtually unused and absolutely mint, (photos agree), bought off a UK dealer and should have it for the weekend to sit alongside the Ricoh GR III.
Couldn't justify one of those really expensive models but it is a real Leica! :)

Impulse purchase over the weekend - of a Leica X2 and all the bits.
Apparently virtually unused and absolutely mint, (photos agree), bought off a UK dealer and should have it for the weekend to sit alongside the Ricoh GR III.
Couldn't justify one of those really expensive models but it is a real Leica! :)

Oh wow, I just looked it up on YouTube....top result is Kai when he was still at Digital Rev!

Oh wow, I just looked it up on YouTube....top result is Kai when he was still at Digital Rev!
Yes I watched it, there are many more non-Kai type reviews that make it worth a play with ... for me anyway. :)

Yes I watched it, there are many more non-Kai type reviews that make it worth a play with ... for me anyway. :)
I would be interested to hear how you find it and see some photos in the Leica thread. I just talked myself out of ££££ on a Q2.

I would be interested to hear how you find it and see some photos in the Leica thread. I just talked myself out of ££££ on a Q2.
I've found my little Ricoh GR III to be quite liberating, I think a Leica of a similar size, with no unwanted video and a single menu will be just the thing :)

I saw the new Might Car Mods doc in Japan about Mazda and now want a MX-5, there is a 1 owner 2005 one currently in Toquay for under £4k, only 55k on the clock! Never failed an MOT either.....

I'm curious about anamorphic lenses. There is an increasing range of affordable options. Think I will rent first. Has anyone taken the plunge?

I'm curious about anamorphic lenses. There is an increasing range of affordable options. Think I will rent first. Has anyone taken the plunge?
ha, funnily enough I saw a video on it last night and looked into it....about £500 or so for one in Fuji mount. I think most of them are for APSC sensors?

Most of them look massive though, really long.

I saw the new Might Car Mods doc in Japan about Mazda and now want a MX-5, there is a 1 owner 2005 one currently in Toquay for under £4k, only 55k on the clock! Never failed an MOT either.....

I've had a few MX5's. I've have had my current one a long time. I like the MK1's and 2's.

They are great fun and are quite practical too. You should look here :D

ha, funnily enough I saw a video on it last night and looked into it....about £500 or so for one in Fuji mount. I think most of them are for APSC sensors?

Most of them look massive though, really long.

Seems to be a new rabbit hole. But watching movies over the holidays I realize that I do love the look, so thinking about it for night time portraits with all the city lights in the background and flares haha :) The budget options seem to be Sirui for mirrorless / APSC/MFT and Great Joy for full frame. Vazen is the next step up. I've never been satisfied with budget options in the past so this time I'm definitely renting to start with.

Seems to be a new rabbit hole. But watching movies over the holidays I realize that I do love the look, so thinking about it for night time portraits with all the city lights in the background and flares haha :) The budget options seem to be Sirui for mirrorless / APSC/MFT and Great Joy for full frame. Vazen is the next step up. I've never been satisfied with budget options in the past so this time I'm definitely renting to start with.

Also, to really take advantage of it I think i need a 40mp T5 or H2 for the fuji, losing like half the MP on my X-T1 will take it back to the stone age.

Also, to really take advantage of it I think i need a 40mp T5 or H2 for the fuji, losing like half the MP on my X-T1 will take it back to the stone age.
ah you don't lose pixels, the image is squeezed and you unsqueeze in post. this is what gives the oval shaped bokeh.

ah you don't lose pixels, the image is squeezed and you unsqueeze in post. this is what gives the oval shaped bokeh.

Oh, is that how they work?!

I thought it's blackout bars lol is that mean you are making 1 pixel doing 2 pixels' job horizontally?

Last edited:
Reading up on it now, the Sirui 50/1.8 seems like a reasonable entry into this.

Although if that is APSC then that is of like a 80mm lens, width wise?

I am trying to gauage how wide it would be in reference to it's focal length.

Last edited:
So t hey make a 35mm full frame Sony E mount anamorphic....about £1300 though! That's quite expensive for a fun lens.

I agree, I’ll try renting first.

Or....the 50/1.8 on APSC might be worth a shot. £426 new at the moment.

But 50mm on APSC is quite long, if it's 50mm on FF then I would love it. I really want something new to take to Japan in a few months.

There`s a guy I follow on flickr, who used one (mainly toys), but also gives a lot of info out on his website. Can give you his link, if allowed ;)

@Paulie-W @Raymond Lin for the occasional pic maybe post-processing is the answer? here's my nifty fifty pic pimped up with a quick attempt at fake flares.

View attachment 377167

I even looked into Moment lenses but you need the case and the mount, it cost about £250 even using the iPhone, which though honestly can be a good alternative, if i can find a used one.

@Paulie-W @Raymond Lin for the occasional pic maybe post-processing is the answer? here's my nifty fifty pic pimped up with a quick attempt at fake flares.

View attachment 377167
I`ve tried in post, before. For me composition is the hardest thing. Trying to mentally work the ratio compared to what the vf sees ;) I also have Boris FX, which is pretty cool for flares etc

I failed in that respect and bought the oly 45mm 1.8, luckily it was only £104 new so I’m not too fussed. However I’ve not really touched my GX80 in a good few years, so did I need it.. absolutely not, but I’m hoping it will spark another interest in photography for me.

Also bought a peak design leash so I can carry the camera with me more easily

I’ve ordered an adaptor, looking forward to finding out what it can do and how easy or not it is to use. Rental prices turned out to be pretty steep as only full prime sets available.

You ordered a Moment lens too?
I went for an ISCO kit as a) it should adapt to my Fuji GFX and Canon primes, b) has 2x squeeze, and c) the flares are more organic than the bright blue streaks with some of the other budget options. Fingers crossed this is going to give a fairly unique look. It looks like I'll need to use my filming rig for it - base plate with rods for lens support (as it will be pretty long) and follow focus (it's manual focus only). Plus the Ninja V to monitor the unsqueezed image. Delivery in a week or so.

Last edited:
I went for an ISCO kit as a) it should adapt to my Fuji GFX and Canon primes, b) has 2x squeeze, and c) the flares are more organic than the bright blue streaks with some of the other budget options. Fingers crossed this is going to give a fairly unique look. It looks like I'll need to use my filming rig for it - base plate with rods for lens support (as it will be pretty long) and follow focus (it's manual focus only). Plus the Ninja V to monitor the unsqueezed image. Delivery in a week or so.
This?

I’m tempted by the Sirui 35mm but that’s not even APSC but m4/3…..I think I would prefer to use it on my Sony A73 which has better video capabilities.

I’ve been reading more into it and only realise that the 50mm in an anamorphic lens refers to the vertical, and then the horizontal will be whatever the squeeze dictates. So a 50mm APSC lens will be like 85mm but with a width of like a 35mm (if it’s like 2x squeeze or something)

I really want to test one out but can’t find any used one, or any used ones are still as expensive as a new one on Amazon.

This?

I’m tempted by the Sirui 35mm but that’s not even APSC but m4/3…..I think I would prefer to use it on my Sony A73 which has better video capabilities.

I’ve been reading more into it and only realise that the 50mm in an anamorphic lens refers to the vertical, and then the horizontal will be whatever the squeeze dictates. So a 50mm APSC lens will be like 85mm but with a width of like a 35mm (if it’s like 2x squeeze or something)

I really want to test one out but can’t find any used one, or any used ones are still as expensive as a new one on Amazon.
that's it, I'll let you know how it works out

So, after months of my partner moaning about me carrying my gripped R5 / 500 f4 combo around; with stuff like “Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should” or “surely there’s a relatively cheap solution to it”…

GAS finally sat me down for a chat and told me to start listening to her advice (while ignoring the cheap alternative part)

So it finally reaches me this morning, via the new “Parcelforce 144” service :)

Now I just need a good sturdy monopod to fit it on…

Attachments

• 49D684C7-56AA-4F56-B4D0-B5FD8B7AE13B.jpeg
    49D684C7-56AA-4F56-B4D0-B5FD8B7AE13B.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 27
So, after months of my partner moaning about me carrying my gripped R5 / 500 f4 combo around; with stuff like “Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should” or “surely there’s a relatively cheap solution to it”…

GAS finally sat me down for a chat and told me to start listening to her advice (while ignoring the cheap alternative part)

So it finally reaches me this morning, via the new “Parcelforce 144” service :)

Now I just need a good sturdy monopod to fit it on…
Quality and you won't ever need to replace it. Win win.

that's it, I'll let you know how it works out

Researching a bit more, I’m going to hold off for now, but I think I might get it on the X mount for the Fuji instead since it’s an APSC lens, if it’s on the Sony then I’m getting only like 10mp on my A73, now I’m really back in the Stone Age lol

So I’ll just wait until I decide which Fuji body I ended up with, T4, T5 or H1…then I’ll get a Sirui 50. It’s the cheapest, fast and as it’s only 1.33x it won’t look too squeezed in camera for composition without an external monitor.

Last edited:
Back