The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

Looks ok from the basic pic but I dont like the huge Fujifilm at the top, do prefer the understated XPro look

Who cares about the logo? It has three dials. THREE!! Plus it looks like it has a finger wheel.

Also, we all spotted the socket on the front, right?

It may be a better subject for another thread, but can anybody explain to me clearly the advantages of a "full frame" sensor?

It gives you:
1. Less noise (probably)
2. Smaller DOF
3. Err, nope, I think that's it.

Given that the current X-trans sensor delivers very low noise and Fuji keep trotting out 1.2 lenses then since it would be very complex to create a FF X sensor and would lead to complications in future lenses, what's the point?

BTW please don't mention diffraction in your answer ;)

It may be a better subject for another thread, but can anybody explain to me clearly the advantages of a "full frame" sensor?

It gives you:
1. Less noise (probably)
2. Smaller DOF
3. Err, nope, I think that's it.

Given that the current X-trans sensor delivers very low noise and Fuji keep trotting out 1.2 lenses then since it would be very complex to create a FF X sensor and would lead to complications in future lenses, what's the point?

BTW please don't mention diffraction in your answer ;)

1. Definitely
2. Yes
3. More Dynamic Range
4. 'Sharper' more detailed images

... Something more interesting is the body is weather sealed, but none of the current lenses are! :confused:

Anyone else struggling to understand the direction of travel that Fuji are taking with the X-series ILCs?
X-Pro1
X-T1
X-E1 -> X-E2
X-M1
X-A1

It kind of makes sense, right up until you look at the pricing and promotion strategy and notice that the flagship model has been a cheaper route into the system (body plus a working selection of lenses) than almost any other model in the line-up.

I guess my worry is that eventually Fuji falls into the mainstream trap (thinking mostly of Canon here) and gets into a cycle of "this new model is mostly the same as that previous model, with the new gizmo from that recent-but-not-new model plus this one new feature to differentiate it and a new shell with these new dials"

Anyone else struggling to understand the direction of travel that Fuji are taking with the X-series ILCs?
X-Pro1
X-T1
X-E1 -> X-E2
X-M1
X-A1

It kind of makes sense, right up until you look at the pricing and promotion strategy and notice that the flagship model has been a cheaper route into the system (body plus a working selection of lenses) than almost any other model in the line-up.

I guess my worry is that eventually Fuji falls into the mainstream trap (thinking mostly of Canon here) and gets into a cycle of "this new model is mostly the same as that previous model, with the new gizmo from that recent-but-not-new model plus this one new feature to differentiate it and a new shell with these new dials"

Not sure why they are marketing the XP1 at the top, the XT-1 will be superior in every way (except for the hybrid finder and perhaps looks).

Not sure why they are marketing the XP1 at the top, the XT-1 will be superior in every way (except for the hybrid finder and perhaps looks).

It's not unusual for ranges to leap-frog each other in terms of specification. The X-Pro is consistently described as a flagship model, and I guess in 12-24 months there will appear the X-Pro2 which will undoubtedly include features that will debut in the X-T1.

I just can't get excited about the pseudo-mirror hump on the X-T1. I know this is supposed to make any retro-look camera the best thing since sliced bread, but to me it's more reminiscent of a bridge camera that's trying to hard to be considered alongside a DSLR.

By the by, I put my X-Pro1 alongside my Kodak Retina 1a and the dimensions are remarkably similar. As is the 'snick' of the shutter.

I just can't get excited about the pseudo-mirror hump on the X-T1. I know this is supposed to make any retro-look camera the best thing since sliced bread, but to me it's more reminiscent of a bridge camera that's trying to hard to be considered alongside a DSLR.

Very true, it does look like a bridge especially as it looks so narrow. If this is what the whole thing looks like Im not really blown away.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab69/fujirumor/mhDs0Mu_zps5bc4310d.jpg

1. Definitely
2. Yes
3. More Dynamic Range
4. 'Sharper' more detailed images

3. Really? The X-trans seems to have a pretty good DR to me. Compared to something like, say, my D800 :)
4. Hmmmmm......you sure that isn't a sneaky way to mention diffraction? :) Fuji say the LMO will fix all of that.

it would be nice to see a FF body. I'm not sure how many more fuji aps-c bodies the market can sustain! They wouldn't release the FF lens roadmap if they were waiting on this reveal. Roll on next week.

3. Really? The X-trans seems to have a pretty good DR to me. Compared to something like, say, my D800 :)
4. Hmmmmm......you sure that isn't a sneaky way to mention diffraction? :) Fuji say the LMO will fix all of that.

Yes, the x-trans is very good but Ive also owned a D800 and A7 to compare with, obviously thats IMO as DXO hasnt measured the DR so we can all just guess and make comparisons in our own experience.

it would be nice to see a FF body.

I think that would be the worst thing Fuji could do. They've stated that the design philosophy is that APS-C is capable of the image quality that is required.

I don't think that Fuji could support a dual-format range. Sony are trying it with the FE lenses for the A7/r and I'm not sure that Sony are going to be capable of pulling off the trick of supporting three incompletely-compatible proprietary ranges.

Sony are trying it with the FE lenses for the A7/r and I'm not sure that Sony are going to be capable of pulling off the trick of supporting three incompletely-compatible proprietary ranges.

Partly why I got rid of my A7, just another NEX, but with a bigger sensor and very expensive limited amount of big lenses. Their lineups are confusing and models are replaced one after the other very frequently.

To be honest if I wanted a camera like that I wouldn't have got rid of my Nikon D700 to buy a retro looking slimline X pro? Did I miss out stylish?

The ugly lump on the top has completely contradicted the whole point of the Fuji system. It is supposed to look and handle like a rangefinder camera. Now it looks like any other camera out of an Argos catalogue.

Last edited:
The one with the net is stunning. But a portrait lens that can't focus in portrait format troubles me a little.

Surely Fuji can't have posted a bunch of pics with parallax shift to show off their flagship portrait lens?

I just watched the BTS video. It's clear this is not an "official" Fuji shoot - it's a guy who shoots nice portraits shooting some fashion with a new lens.

I don't think it's particularly fair to comment on the model or make up/styling. The lens on the other hand - well, I really need to see some better samples. Honestly I would have shot these on a tripod.

Last edited:
Looks one of my Nikon 85's will be leaving to free up some cash for one of these babies..

Just taken delivery of my new XF 55-200 and I have to say I am really impressed with it. Took a quick shot of my dog in pretty drab light and the sharpness is fantastic. I would say that it is even better than my old Nikon 70-200 VR.......ISO 800, f4.8, 1/240, 200mm,IS on.

Last edited:
My two weeks are basically up, time to put my claim in for the 60mm.

Some initial thoughts after 12 days use:

I tried the 18mm over the last twelve days and I have decided to part ex for a 35mm for a general walkabout prime lens. I also have my 16-50mm if I need some wide. I tried the XP1 at the footy and there were no comments from the stewards using the camera, so that's a great start. Shame Spurs beat us 3-1.

The camera felt too light and small initially after coming from the Nikon D7000, I have purchased the grip and that has helped enormously. I am going to be able to use this camera more compared to the Nikon, as was the case on Sunday when i was able to slip camera into coat pocket for the footy.

AF was very slow, but after reading the PDF thread on settings a few pages back, that has helped with the AF assist on. Also, purchased an Extreme Pro 95mbs SD card, I think it's also helped, as I had a suspect Lexar 400x card previously mentioned on earlier pages.

As I am new to photography the lay out and the ease of use have helped me to understand what the camera is doing and what the settings mean. It makes you think, and slows you down to what youre trying to capture. On my D7000 I was trigger happy using CHS, hence I shot 4k photos in 3.5 months.

I sold the Billingham bag for £70.00 which came free from Wex, this money will offset the cost of part exchanging the 18mm for the 35mm. I purchased A Crumpler Light Delight 400 instead.

I bought a 3.0" GGS screen saver from the bay and it fits like a glove. With the silver rim it also gives a nice look to the rear of camera.

I have also purchased a M42 135mm f3.5 Tokina lens to have a play around with, just waiting for the delivery of lens and adapter. If this is any good, I will try some more M42 lenses, particularly around the 50mm range. Maybe I will also I have a try with a long zoom until I can afford the 55-200.

Summary, initial thoughts I was questioning whether I made the right decision, after getting more used to the camera I believe I have made the right decision, it's just takes some time to get used to a new system (I have no patience). From a lightness point of view its a much more portable camera compared to the Nikon and will suit my needs better.

Again, I would like to thank you all for the help and advice you have given me in this thread.:ty:

Last edited:
Back