The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Exactly, you know how it is... :D it was my retail therapy after buying new pictures and lamps for the bedroom.... I didn't get anything. Well, a throw away dust sheet that I'm going to try and use to make a softbox with from the pound shop. :rolleyes:

6281-1407323799-89bffd4878f581f53fd343e0d64b9cc3.jpg

I maybe going to an Engagement party in a club, just wondering what would be the better option my XF1 or my X10 ? I can see benefits in both Cameras, XF1 24mm f/1.8 and X10 28mm f/2.0 112mm f/2.8 As I said I can see benefits in both, XF1 being brighter at the wider end and much lighter to carry about, but the X10 being a little more bulky but a handy f/2.8 on full zoom.

Just not sure what one to take, and I don't really want to be messing about with both.

I'd go with the XF1, the extra stop from the f1.8 and more compact design would be better in a dark club.

I'd go with the XF1, the extra stop from the f1.8 and more compact design would be better in a dark club.
Must admit I was veering towards the XF1 for the reasons you mentioned, plus I can get closer and get more family members in the frame. Just the X10 can do f/2.2 at 50mm

But I suppose it would make more sense to get closer wider lighter and brighter, with the XF1

There are definitely advantages to both as you say, but I'd expect to be taking group shots mostly so having the wider and brighter lens would be a benefit. With the lens collapsed, you can put the XF1 in a pocket also.

Sorry if this had been covered but any xf1 uses found a means of getting raw file support on aperture 3? Really annoying me.

Must admit I was veering towards the XF1 for the reasons you mentioned, plus I can get closer and get more family members in the frame. Just the X10 can do f/2.2 at 50mm

But I suppose it would make more sense to get closer wider lighter and brighter, with the XF1

There is little to choose between the XF1 and The X10 But those with the X20 would find the focussing far better in poor light and the sensor better at higher ISO. Both the X10 and X20 have viewfinders that are very helpful indoors.

There is little to choose between the XF1 and The X10 But those with the X20 would find the focussing far better in poor light and the sensor better at higher ISO. Both the X10 and X20 have viewfinders that are very helpful indoors.

I have tried the viewfinder of the X10, but I find it pretty useless really. There is no exposure information plus you have no idea what you are focusing on, also the parallax error is pretty bad.

Just been testing both the XF1 and X10 side by side indoors, with good light and I must say I prefer the images at 50mm f/2.8 of the X10. I was taking photos of my Cat and Dog, so it will probably be different taking photos of people in a dimly lit Club. So it will probably be the XF1 by the looks of things so far.

Gad-Westy - The raw file support comes and goes both for the XF1 and X10 on Aperture, the update before last re-instated it and the last update removed it very frustrating. I used DNG RAW convertor and then loaded them in Aperture, but this was a drag. Apple are stopping Aperture soon so I upgraded an earlier version of Lightroom to version 5 (costs about £50) and am going back to using this. Adobe also have a guide telling you how to import your Aperture files in Lightroom.

I have tried the viewfinder of the X10, but I find it pretty useless really. There is no exposure information plus you have no idea what you are focusing on, also the parallax error is pretty bad.

Just been testing both the XF1 and X10 side by side indoors, with good light and I must say I prefer the images at 50mm f/2.8 of the X10. I was taking photos of my Cat and Dog, so it will probably be different taking photos of people in a dimly lit Club. So it will probably be the XF1 by the looks of things so far.

Like many of my age I was brought up on optical view finders. None of which gave any information, suffered from parallax and were inaccurate. By comparison that on the x10 is no problem at all. Like target shooting you soon learn where to aim.
people In the 1930 , 40s and 50, s managed very well. I have never much bothered about data in the viewfinder as I can remember what I have set. Though it hellps to have a rangefinder square. But I can estimate the centre well enough.

Like many of my age I was brought up on optical view finders. None of which gave any information, suffered from parallax and were inaccurate. By comparison that on the x10 is no problem at all. Like target shooting you soon learn where to aim.
people In the 1930 , 40s and 50, s managed very well. I have never much bothered about data in the viewfinder as I can remember what I have set. Though it hellps to have a rangefinder square. But I can estimate the centre well enough.

I too used Optical View Finders for years, I am not a youngster I am in my fifties. I think I have been spoilt by my DSLR, all that lovely info in the viewfinder. I often miss the focus point when I use the OVF, that's the reason I now use the live view.

TBH a viewfinder with no af point is useless.

Aperture sounds wazz aswell, one update supports it and the next removes it?? Wtf!!!

Adobe all the way for me. Usually Lr5.6 but sometimes I send it to cs6 from Lr if I want to do anything else to it but usually Lr is all I need. It's an excellent programme.

Quick shot from today's session at the backyard :p

DSCF1079-1.jpg

I got much more detail on shadows than I would expect. So far, the X10 isn't disapointing me :D

Gad-Westy - The raw file support comes and goes both for the XF1 and X10 on Aperture, the update before last re-instated it and the last update removed it very frustrating. I used DNG RAW convertor and then loaded them in Aperture, but this was a drag. Apple are stopping Aperture soon so I upgraded an earlier version of Lightroom to version 5 (costs about £50) and am going back to using this. Adobe also have a guide telling you how to import your Aperture files in Lightroom.

Ouch. Apple are really trying hard to lose me as a customer at the moment. Not just with this issue and the Aperture saga but very other seemingly backward steps. I'm tempted by lightroom but am concerned about the loss of editing detail in a switch over.

Looks like I'll just be shooting jpeg in the short term, not such a bad thing with Fujis though.

Toni, all the best for your upcoming fun and games. Maybe a 2 metre cable release and a Gorillapod on the curtain rail?! ;)

John, XF1 all the way unless you want to play with OCF.

John, XF1 all the way unless you want to play with OCF.

I suppose it makes sense to use the XF1 as it will slip into a pocket really easily, I don't really want to be lumbered with a Camera all evening. Just wondering if I dare use the pop up flash, just for a bit of fill in light?

TBH a viewfinder with no af point is useless.

Aperture sounds wazz aswell, one update supports it and the next removes it?? Wtf!!!

Adobe all the way for me. Usually Lr5.6 but sometimes I send it to cs6 from Lr if I want to do anything else to it but usually Lr is all I need. It's an excellent programme.

not useless at all It just require the acquisition of a little skill.
I have never found it a problem on my X10, and the X20 shows you the focus point on half press. which I often use with AFL If I do not want a centre focus. However I would like separate AFL and EL on the X10 and X20 cameras such as are fitted on the XT1

What do you mean by loss of editing detail?

If I edit a raw file in Aperture, highlights, sharpening, spot healing, bla, bla, the actual raaw file is left untouched. So I assume if I were to switch to Lightroom, I would lose that?

The EXR sensor has great dynamic range. Something that the x-trans has been pulled up for.

The EXR sensor produced great Jpegs but there never has been a satisfactory way to get the best out of its Raws. It has a few nice little trick like doubling up pixels to increase sensitivity and reduce noise. However the X-trans on the X20 wins hands down when it comes to detail capture and raw recovery.
I do not know if the EXR sensor will remain in use on the Fuji low end compacts, but it has fled the field in X series cameras.

Lightroom is a non destructive programme so you go back and undo steps as many times as you want and you can always press the reset button and you have the original picture sooc.

Never had an issue with the EXR sensor but then I've never tried the x-trans so can't compare. Is there more detail because of the Low Pass filter not being there? From what I read on another forum (one of the fuji ones) the EXR sensor produced better dynamic range than the x-trans and I have always been impressed with the xf in this area.

Maybe a viewfinder with no AF point in the VF is acceptable for all the old timers with a film background but for all the fly new kids on the block I would imagine it's crapola. ;) :D

Lightroom is a non destructive programme so you go back and undo steps as many times as you want and you can always press the reset button and you have the original picture sooc.

Never had an issue with the EXR sensor but then I've never tried the x-trans so can't compare. Is there more detail because of the Low Pass filter not being there? From what I read on another forum (one of the fuji ones) the EXR sensor produced better dynamic range than the x-trans and I have always been impressed with the xf in this area.

Maybe a viewfinder with no AF point in the VF is acceptable for all the old timers with a film background but for all the fly new kids on the block I would imagine it's crapola. ;) :D

It is not only that it does not have a lowpass filter, but the color filter arrangement is also different, which helps with moire effects. On the test reports I have seen there is an improvement dynamic range wise as well. But in practice I have noticed no discernable difference. (But when shooting Raw one can recover a greater range of detail in both highlights and shadows.) The later cameras like the X20 have the faster processor and new firmware that can deal with issues like noise rather better. The biggest difference is that it is now has decent Adobe raw support.
So I have been able to go back to shooting Raw.

I would agree that the EXR produces the best straight out of camera Jpeg's I have seen.

It will be interesting to see what changes they make on the soon to be announced X30.
I may have to do a bit more spending..............

Last edited:
If I edit a raw file in Aperture, highlights, sharpening, spot healing, bla, bla, the actual raaw file is left untouched. So I assume if I were to switch to Lightroom, I would lose that?

As adobe are cooperating with apple on the changeover, You may be lucky, I would look on both of their forums for a full answer.

Why not what?

If you mean not a one inch sensor?.... then it would mean an entirely new camera and lens with either a shorter zoom range or a lesser aperture. if they were to stay in bounds size wise, and with the philosophy of the X10/20.
It is already a camera that is good enough for quality of output, in all reasonable respects. Though I think they will have another look at the viewfinder to fall more in line with the Xe2 and XT1. I expect some controls to change in the same fashion (separate the EFL and FL locks.) and perhaps improve the noise ISO processing.
I am not sure there is room for a larger screen. But they may fit in limited bluetooth or the like. But I think GPS is less likely.

Thanks for the info.

Seems like Sony have nailed it then with the RX100 3 at the expense of some FL. In a smaller body too.

There is no doubt that the RX100 range is popular... my daughter has just bought the basic one but the RX100 lll is a lot better.
However I hate the controls and menu system on all of them.
But as a high grade point and shoot they are excellent. But the handling for those used to more complex cameras is diabolical.
At wide angle settings the maximum aperture is fine and has been improved at the long end by reducing its Focal length to only 70mm
To me it fits well below the X20 for actual use. And even though it has many more pixels and a larger sensor the detail handling is no better.(the x20 attains 30 lpm which is excellent by any standard)
But on paper everything looks great, and that is what sells these days.

Back