The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

That is good to know.... looks like the orbs were made worse by the way the camera saw edges.

Mine arrived back this morning BUT is going back

There is a focus problem especially with manual focus which is entirely random and usually shows greater than infinity at any distance on the scale in the shorter focal lengths, and says my waist level is over 2 meters to the ground at longer lengths. Also turning the zoom to switch on, is now a bit graunchy.
so they are sending another box.
The worst bit is that it looks like another couple of weeks????

Mine arrived back this morning to, mine was suffering from as you described graunchy, i can gladly say they sorted this out now it's nice and smooth as it should be, Fuji replaced the barrel along with the sensor.

This is how mine sounded before sending it off last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i1Z_ux70PM&feature=plcp

No worries - I was just curious about your initial impressions of the new versus old sensor, or if you'd done a few quick and dirty snaps (no need to publish them) shot exactly as you normally shoot. No problem if you don't get a chance to, I suspect some of the others will be getting their X10s back this week and we'll start to see some opinions coming through.

Ah I see. I didn't actually send my X10 for a sensor replacement. I had a power issue whilst on holiday switching it on/off on random occassions and wanted it fixed. They sent it back with a fireware update but that wasn't anything to do with the problem so they sent me another X10. I need to test that out in the field. Not sure if it has the new or old sensor on the new x10 though hence why I'm offering to run a test that someone suggests in home to see if I can get either of the X10's to produce an Orb.

I can not do an old verses new.
even with my now disheartening X10
But here are three that were too bright to look at, and would have been orb heaven with the old sensor...
No orbs now even though I increased contrast to something of an extreme in PS. They are far better than I expected, and taken at ISO 100 the previously worst setting.

orbtest.jpg

Ah I see. I didn't actually send my X10 for a sensor replacement. I had a power issue whilst on holiday switching it on/off on random occassions and wanted it fixed. They sent it back with a fireware update but that wasn't anything to do with the problem so they sent me another X10. I need to test that out in the field. Not sure if it has the new or old sensor on the new x10 though hence why I'm offering to run a test that someone suggests in home to see if I can get either of the X10's to produce an Orb.

Ah, right - well it'll be interesting to see which version they sent you. I 'think' that X10s with a serial number starting with 22 have the new sensor. Apparently those starting with 21 'might/should'.

Does any one know if the X10 should record subject distance in the Exif data?

On mine under subject distance range, it says, unknown.
My canon g6 shows the distance but my 40D does not.

Could some one check their X10 Exif for me?
Thanks

Some Exif readers show distance data others do not.

Last edited:
Does any one know if the X10 should record subject distance in the Exif data?

On mine under subject distance range, it says, unknown.
My canon g6 shows the distance but my 40D does not.

Could some one check their X10 Exif for me?
Thanks

Some Exif readers show distance data others do not.

just checked mine and it states unknown

Ta :)
Where do you find this stuff?

Either from speaking to the Fuji support department, or else there's some useful stuff here: http://www.fujixseries.com/discussions

However I don't contribute to that forum anymore since an element of the DPReview orbsession spread there and I had to give the place a wide berth, given what happened to me previously.

Last edited:
Mine has gone back...
it arrive here yesterday 10oc
found faults, and phoned Fuji 2oc
new box here 9oc this morning
in post again 9.30...........

However I don't contribute to that forum anymore since an element of the DPReview orbsession spread there and I had to give the place a wide berth, given what happened to me previously.

Their loss is our gain (y)

Mine has gone back...
it arrive here yesterday 10oc
found faults, and phoned Fuji 2oc
new box here 9oc this morning
in post again 9.30...........

Blimmin heck!
They don't hang around...

Thanks Duncan - apparently this thread has the only people on the planet who don't mind talking to me! :love: Would you believe my website hasn't even been attacked since I've been on here - though unfortunately I'm still getting the lewd e-mails which have been a feature since I was taken apart on DPR - that place has a very high readership and a proportion of them seem to be complete nutters :eek:

Terry - let's hope they turn your X10 around promptly.

Just received my X10 back after an 8 day (inclusive) turnaround. It is my camera, same serial number, same box etc.

Fuji have not repaired my secondary issue of a faulty aperture. I can only get F2.2 at the widest setting. I have to turn the lens just past the 28mm notch to get F2.0. I called Fuji and after a good deal of persistence they're sending me another camera and packaging to return my original, albeit, refurb.

I guess I'll be receiving another refurb as the advisor said he needed to find one which didn't have a sticking aperture with a new sensor. Just waiting for them to get back to me with an ETA for the replacement.

Last edited:
Just had a look at your website Lindsay and have to say its excellent with some great shots.:clap:

Thanks Snake.

Callaghan - did you originally agree the additional repair with Fuji, to be done at the same time as the sensor swap? If so, they have failed and you have reason to be annoyed. If not, then I'm afraid they will usually only bother to do the job marked on their sheet, in this case the sensor swap. For the additional work, I would imagine it also depends on whether your camera was still under warranty. Hopefully they'll get you sorted out soon.

Just received my X10 back after an 8 day (inclusive) turnaround. It is my camera, same serial number, same box etc.

Fuji have not repaired my secondary issue of a faulty aperture. I can only get F2.2 at the widest setting. I have to turn the lens just past the 28mm notch to get F2.0. I called Fuji and after a good deal of persistence they're sending me another camera and packaging to return my original, albeit, refurb.

I guess I'll be receiving another refurb as the advisor said he needed to find one which didn't have a sticking aperture with a new sensor. Just waiting for them to get back to me with an ETA for the replacement.

It will be interesting, for me, as I mentioned another problem when I called. A problem with a tatty LCD screen with odd marks. The nice man said he would put that on the job sheet. I further enclosed a very nice note for the repair man for when he took receipt of the camera.

So I will wait and see with my fingers crossed?

A few hundred posts ago anyone reading this thread would have instantly ordered an X10. BUT anyone reading only the last few hundred posts may have given the X10 a wide berth :eek:

Seriously though I wonder where the X10 would appear on a table of the most reliable cameras. I must confess there is something, to me, that feels a little fragile about it. I owned a Panasonic TZ8 that would be half the price but which felt more robust. Also met up with a friend who has a Canon G12 which also felt more robust but................. is it my erroneous sense of well built or not?

Callaghan - did you originally agree the additional repair with Fuji, to be done at the same time as the sensor swap?

Yes, Lindsay, it was agreed. I registered the faulty aperture first and at the end of the call, a few weeks ago, asked to go on the list for a sensor replacement. The advisor informed me the new sensors had arrived and both jobs could be completed at the same time. My job sheet that came with the semi-repaired camera only states CMOS Sensor replaced.

The advisor, today, admitted the error and apologised immediately. As I've at least implied earlier in the thread I love the camera, so it was a little difficult to get wound up and request a replacement in the meantime. For the record, the advisor tried three times, in different ways, to get me to accept just returning it. I was placed on hold for a while then we went through testing the camera, then I was placed on hold for a while longer, then I got the result. About 30 mins total.

I want the camera to be a roaring success for as many people as possible and for it to drive other manufacturers efforts. I'm confident of receiving a working item so I can get back out there; a camera that will be good for the next few years. Like the vast majority of owners in this very helpful thread I believe the X10 is a landmark in versatility and a real joy to own and use.

Last edited:
It will be interesting, for me, as I mentioned another problem when I called. A problem with a tatty LCD screen with odd marks. The nice man said he would put that on the job sheet. I further enclosed a very nice note for the repair man for when he took receipt of the camera.

That could be the key. If it's more than one job attach a note to the camera! Good luck (y)

Yes, Lindsay, it was agreed. I registered the faulty aperture first and at the end of the call, a few weeks ago, asked to go on the list for a sensor replacement. The advisor informed me the new sensors had arrived and both jobs could be completed at the same time. My job sheet that came with the semi-repaired camera only states CMOS Sensor replaced.

The advisor, today, admitted the error and apologised immediately. As I've at least implied earlier in the thread I love the camera, so it was a little difficult to get wound up and request a replacement in the meantime. For the record, the advisor tried three times, in different ways, to get me to accept just returning it. I was placed on hold for a while then we went through testing the camera, then I was placed on hold for a while longer, then I got the result. About 30 mins total.

I want the camera to be a roaring success for as many people as possible and for it to drive other manufacturers efforts. I'm confident of receiving a working item so I can get back out there; a camera that will be good for the next few years. Like the vast majority of owners in this very helpful thread I believe the X10 is a landmark in versatility and a real joy to own and use.

Very bad of them to overlook the agreed repairs, but at least it sounds like it's being sorted for you. I don't like the way some companies try to fob their customers off. Let's hope the replacement is exactly as it should be! (y)

A few hundred posts ago anyone reading this thread would have instantly ordered an X10. BUT anyone reading only the last few hundred posts may have given the X10 a wide berth :eek:

Seriously though I wonder where the X10 would appear on a table of the most reliable cameras. I must confess there is something, to me, that feels a little fragile about it. I owned a Panasonic TZ8 that would be half the price but which felt more robust. Also met up with a friend who has a Canon G12 which also felt more robust but................. is it my erroneous sense of well built or not?

Even with my latest problems I do not think the camera is any more vulnerable than any other.
I suspect they have had to train up some extra tecs to do all the sensor swaps, and they are not trained in every possible ramification of what they are doing when they have the camera open.
So some cameras are suffering as a result.

I notice they put red labels on my packaging when it went back this time.

Even with my latest problems I do not think the camera is any more vulnerable than any other.

I notice they put red labels on my packaging when it went back this time.

It's a fair point... I'm certain there are tens of thousands of very happy x10 users who will never venture near an internet forum, along with thousands of lurkers.

The red labels make it go faster, I thought everyone knew that ;)

Glad I sold mine a few weeks ago! Guess this site would be quite high on Google hits so the negativity/concerns may damage prices.

I didn't get a single question about the sensor when selling it though so as long as people are not reading this forum or DPReview it will still be seen as a great camera and quite rightly.

Glad I sold mine a few weeks ago! Guess this site would be quite high on Google hits so the negativity/concerns may damage prices.

I didn't get a single question about the sensor when selling it though so as long as people are not reading this forum or DPReview it will still be seen as a great camera and quite rightly.

It still is a great camera... if you read this thread or not.

People who are using it love it, and produce superb results with it.

I knew mine would produce orbs when I bought it, as all the early sensors did.
I was not put off by all the negative talk about it, as I also knew Fuji would sort the problem out.
Some people have also suffered other problems (as have I)... no one is saying these problems are not getting sorted.

Digital cameras do not like getting their insides exposed and problems can arise. But this is inconvenient not terminal.

Last weekend I had my first day out in 9 months that I've been out without my X10 :|
It was accidental; an early start and I left it on the table (rest of the kit was bagged and on the floor).
I was left with two prime lenses on a DSLR and I really missed the versatility and pocket convenience.

The day felt really weird and really brought home to me just how much I use my X10.
My feeling of mild panic was probably similar to trying to go back to using film for a day. :bonk:

In short - I don't care that my X10 has flaws; it's a great little camera!
When the Fuji box finally arrives for it to be sent back for sensor replacement those are going to a tough couple of weeks as I'm sure going to miss it!

In short - I don't care that my X10 has flaws; it's a great little camera!

Duncan - I couldn't agree more. Flaws give her character :)

In short – the X10 has taken my inspiration for photography to a new level. It’s pushed me to learn, pushed me to use the camera to its boundaries (which I’m not yet at) and has helped me to grow significantly as a photographer the past few months. Most importantly it’s a camera that oozes fun.

Oh and I really haven’t found an orb yet and I’m not joking when I say I must have taken over 3000 shots with it so far. I wonder if the new camera I’ve been sent will display them. Oh well will find out once I get a chance to use it in anger.

Here's a trio I took on the move earlier this evening, sooc (LF, Sharpen -1). Not too inspiring, I know, I'm a learner. Just thought I'd throw them in. It's been overcast here today and it's the first time I've posted images in any forum so if I've made a pig's ear of it please let me know. Replaced sensor, btw.

iso100 f2.5
7449440356_f9f37a897b_c.jpg

iso125 f4.0 (tell a lie, this was cropped about 10%)
7449444396_7ce8825977_c.jpg

iso100 f4.0
7449448716_0fdf8fa872_c.jpg

I should point out the middle one is in that well know supermarket and was acquired in a brisk, stealth mode manner. I have previous form; being thrown out of a high street store for taking snaps. I've included it as it may help others gauge colour reproduction with a familiar subject, if that makes sense.

Last weekend I had my first day out in 9 months that I've been out without my X10 :|

The day felt really weird and really brought home to me just how much I use my X10.

When the Fuji box finally arrives for it to be sent back for sensor replacement those are going to a tough couple of weeks as I'm sure going to miss it!

That's exactly how I felt when my X10 was away. I had to suffer my 5dMkiii instead for personal work, so I hardly took any pictures!

I should point out the middle one is in that well know supermarket and was acquired in a brisk, stealth mode manner. I have previous form; being thrown out of a high street store for taking snaps. I've included it as it may help others gauge colour reproduction with a familiar subject, if that makes sense.

Yeah right - you've got one of those supermarket fetishes ... I've read about that kind of thing. And the three pictures were very revealing - the lock of course representing the penalty for previous form and the final image a gloating indication of getting away with it again! :naughty::whistle:

I can't wait for the next lot ... ;)

Looks good though - clean shots with good colour. I always lower the sharpening a notch too, seems to give smoother images.

Last edited:
Yeah right - you've got one of those supermarket fetishes ... I've read about that kind of thing. And the three pictures were very revealing - the lock of course representing the penalty for previous form and the final image a gloating indication of getting away with it again! :naughty::whistle:

Great analogy - not in cahoots with Callaghan by any chance!? :LOL:

I can't wait for the next lot ... ;)

Looks good though - clean shots with good colour. I always lower the sharpening a notch too, seems to give smoother images.

Haha, you've found me out. I'll ease off the subliminal admissions from here on in or at least I'll try.

I'm enjoying the colours... here's a couple more from an hour or so ago.

iso800 f4.0
7450383774_2439c80a4a_c.jpg

iso200 f2.8 (slight crop)
7450425856_19bbf37512_c.jpg

Here are a few from the Antiques Roadshow a couple of weeks ago in Port Sunlight. The weather was terrible and I didn't get around half as much as I wanted to. They've each had a little boost here and there and been cropped, somewhat. They were taken at the Medium, Fine setting. I can't remember what other in-camera settings but it will have been nothing too bold.

iso800 f2.5
7450602652_c1c84bb737_c.jpg

iso800 f4.0
7450604574_b89c7dbc2f_c.jpg

iso100 f4.0
7450607250_e7cb47d394_c.jpg

iso100 f4.0
7450609762_a1649dbd95_c.jpg

Back