The Photography Show 2015

Hi Daryl

I am guessing you are a pro photographer? If you pre registered last year and went through the vetting process you should have an email with a click to register again. You won't need to go through the vetting process again and all the fields will be pre populated. Hope that helps.
Jonny

That's not entirely true. I pre-registered last time and this time only found out about the dates this time by checking the website occasionally. I also had to go through the vetting process again. It was approved, but just saying.

Yes, I am going again and plan to attend some of the key speaker events. I understand that the organisers are taking a larger l this year so more space to get around and more eating options! Last year, I went on the last day and got some good bargains. Good place to meet up with friends and amble around - no, i am not on commission.

I'm giving it a miss this year, people sitting on the floor eating sandwiches. Can't be doing with it !

I picked up a flyer in an LCE branch today which had a (unspecified) discount code on it for Show Tickets. The discount code is rejected by the on line booking system which isn't very helpful!

I went on the weekend, it was overcrowded, people sitting on floors eating sandwiches as all the tables full. Catering rubbish, people wondering round with 400mm lenses strapped to them. More interested in showing off their own gear than staged events. You don't generally get that in the week !

I went on the weekend, it was overcrowded, people sitting on floors eating sandwiches as all the tables full. Catering rubbish, people wondering round with 400mm lenses strapped to them. More interested in showing off their own gear than staged events. You don't generally get that in the week !
I don't mind people eating sandwiches on the floor, that's just the NEC for you, every event is like that. I do find the whole gear thing a little bit strange though like you said.

The reason we ask people to choose a day is to help us plan room capacities, catering etc and help guie the exhibitors in terms of manpower for their stands.
So you'll be sharing this info with exhibitors.... when?

Hello.. You said the stuff was up for Christmas... I checked a couple of days ago and it wasn't fhere... Is it there now? am I missing a link or something? Merry Christmas...

There is no doubt that the NEC catering struggled at times but we are working with them to avoid the issues we had last year. We have set aside some of the hall for an additional 800 seats and four catering points which will make a massive difference. We have also made all the aisles wider to make it easier to get around.

I picked up a flyer in an LCE branch today which had a (unspecified) discount code on it for Show Tickets. The discount code is rejected by the on line booking system which isn't very helpful!

Can you let me know the code and I will check for you. My email is jonny dot sullens at Futurenet dot com.

That's not entirely true. I pre-registered last time and this time only found out about the dates this time by checking the website occasionally. I also had to go through the vetting process again. It was approved, but just saying.

Hi Daryl. Can you let me know your details (email is in the post above) as it has worked well so far. Have you changed email or anything since last year?

I'm going again got my ticket for a £10 as i had a code just a pain to have to be tied down to a specific day

I agree.. I was going to come on two days but the costs have put me off.

Unless you're a magazine publisher - it's already February in that world :D.

I took your post to mean "sometime in January" rather than January 1st though.

Personally, I'm more interested in a floor plan, which I couldn't find the last time I looked.

Please try again as this should have been rectified. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Unless you're a magazine publisher - it's already February in that world :D.

I took your post to mean "sometime in January" rather than January 1st though.

Personally, I'm more interested in a floor plan, which I couldn't find the last time I looked.

Hi Stephen
Floorplan will go live on the website shortly before the show. Happy to email you one now though if it helps.
Cheers
Jonny

I have to admit to being on the fence as to whether I want to return after visiting last year. I have to say that my experience last year was mixed. I got to speak with some good stall holders and got some great information on some courses that I could take to improve my skills. Which for me was a great plus. That said I took my camera and it stayed in my bag the whole time, which did disappoint me.

I don't know whether it was a case of me misunderstanding what the event was offering or perhaps I missed the photo opportunities? Or it could be that they were to busy whenever I was passing as I do remember seeing some people snapping away especially in the garden feature.

So like I say at the moment I'm on the fence. I guess I'll wait and see as things are announced and make a decision nearer the time.

I don't take a camera to shows. I assume that if I want to try out a lens (for example) there will be cameras available for that. In all the years of attending Focus, I never regretted that. Last year at the Photography Show, I admit that I would have liked to have a camera and tripod to photograph the garden exhibit. But only if I'd had a servant with me to carry them. Getting round the show unemcumbered was tricky at times; and having a camera bag and tripod would have been a wearying nightmare. The time that I could have made use of an item of equipment was at a university stand at Focus, where my exposure meter could have been used to illustrate a point.

It all depends on what you want to get out of it. My main objectives are information, and (hopefully) the chance to view photographs. I always found the university and college stands at Focus well worth visiting. The standard of photography always struck me far more favourably than the photographic society exhibitions I attend.

I don't take a camera to shows. I assume that if I want to try out a lens (for example) there will be cameras available for that. In all the years of attending Focus, I never regretted that. Last year at the Photography Show, I admit that I would have liked to have a camera and tripod to photograph the garden exhibit. But only if I'd had a servant with me to carry them. Getting round the show unemcumbered was tricky at times; and having a camera bag and tripod would have been a wearying nightmare. The time that I could have made use of an item of equipment was at a university stand at Focus, where my exposure meter could have been used to illustrate a point.

It all depends on what you want to get out of it. My main objectives are information, and (hopefully) the chance to view photographs. I always found the university and college stands at Focus well worth visiting. The standard of photography always struck me far more favourably than the photographic society exhibitions I attend.

Hi Stephen
Just to let you know that we will have additional galleries this year. You will find them in the food village on the rear of the theatres.
Hope you like them.
Jonny

I have to admit to being on the fence as to whether I want to return after visiting last year. I have to say that my experience last year was mixed. I got to speak with some good stall holders and got some great information on some courses that I could take to improve my skills. Which for me was a great plus. That said I took my camera and it stayed in my bag the whole time, which did disappoint me.

I don't know whether it was a case of me misunderstanding what the event was offering or perhaps I missed the photo opportunities? Or it could be that they were to busy whenever I was passing as I do remember seeing some people snapping away especially in the garden feature.

So like I say at the moment I'm on the fence. I guess I'll wait and see as things are announced and make a decision nearer the time.

As Stephen says it is 'horses for courses' as to whether you take a camera or not to the show. We try and provide different shooting opportunities (Darth Vader, drift car, the garden, fashion show etc) but those sessions are also the chance to see how a pro does it too. Regardless there should be enough gear (the show will have an additional 40/50 exhibitors this year) and education to keep you amused for a day. Planning is key though and the show website and show app (end of January) can help enormously with that. Hopefully you can make it.

I'm definitely going to this. Does anyone know how good the discounts are normally? I mean can you get really good deals with big savings? I'm only a beginner and appreciate that the pro's and traders get bigger discounts than I would...

Everyone gets the same savings beginner or pro. Just the pro tend spend more on their kit :) As an example last year Canon had double cashback with all the retailers but I don't know what they are doing this time out. Best thing to do is go with a wishlist coupled with normal prices you can find, that way you know whether it represents a real bargain or not. You won't be disappointed though I am sure.

Everyone gets the same savings beginner or pro. Just the pro tend spend more on their kit :) As an example last year Canon had double cashback with all the retailers but I don't know what they are doing this time out. Best thing to do is go with a wishlist coupled with normal prices you can find, that way you know whether it represents a real bargain or not. You won't be disappointed though I am sure.

that's a good idea. Thanks ever so much for the quick response.
Chris

I have never been and thinking of going this year. I have read this thread and seen a mention of discount codes to reduce the entry fee... are there any such codes?

I've had one in an email from Hahnemuehle, and there was one actually on the show site before Christmas which has now disappeared.

Last edited:
Booked!! Looking forward to it

Back