The TP Cook Book

Thank you so very much for this one just used it for dinner (turkey pie) and they cleared the plates.. loved it...:D

No problem Terri, Pleased it was as popular in your house as it is in mine :) (y)

Right, I've just browned a half leg of lamb in a frying pan, then removed it to a roasting tin. I then cut a red onion into 8 wedges and lobbed it into the pan with a couple of cloves of garlic along with some carrots and potatoes and fried them over for a couple of minutes, coating them with the juices from the lamb.

I then put all that into the roasting tin with the lamb and then seasoned it all and added a handful of fresh rosemary. That then got covered in foil and shoved in a oven at 160 degrees.

In 5 hours, I'm going to eat it! :)

morrocan lamb stew

3 lamb steaks diced
1 large onion cubed
2 sticks of celery diced
2 carrots, chopped
a large handful of mushrooms chopped
50g tin of butter bean
tin of chopped tomatoes
700ml lamb stock
150ml orzo pasta (the sort that looks like rice)
tsp corriander
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1tsp cinamon

Preheat the oven to 150c
Brown the lamb in an ovenproof casserole, add the spices
add the various veg and fry till the onions are translucent
add the butterbeans, chopped tomatoes and stock
put in the oven for 50 minuites

after 50 mins remove from oven, add the orzo and stir in

return to oven for another 40 minuites

simples

the orzo absorbs nearly all the liquid leaving you with a thick spicy stew which serves 2 hungry people or 4 normal portions (or in my case does my dinner, and leaves enough over for lunch tommorow)

Thanks Pete.... was trying to think of what to do with some lamb steaks i have.

Anyone got an app for their smart phone that lets you enter a recipe and the ingredients needed? I could use notes I suppose but then you end up with loads in a long list.
Be handy in the supermarket if I go, ooh I fancy a jalfrezi, now, what do I need again? and look up the hairy dieters (or whoevers youve already entered) ingredients on the phone.

Cheers all

I use Evernote, clip the web page and check the ingredients when at the supermarket :)

Last edited:
We use waste paper (the back side of old letters etc) for shopping lists and the like.

Or, for smartphone use, I suppose you could just e-mail the recipe and ingredients list to yourself.

Just made fresh pasta for the first time, and have to say it was a wonderful success.

We made it into Ravioli, filled with a selection of cheeses and served it with a simple tomato and balsamic sauce.

Recipe was a simple Jamie Oliver one which consisted of just two ingredients:

100g OO flour
1 Large Egg

These are per person quantities, so we made 200g Flour and 2 eggs.

Mix all ingredients together in a mixer until they form a soft ball then knead for about 10 mins. Cover tightly in cling film and place in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour. Then roll thinly (we took it out of the fridge for 30 mins before rolling) and cut into your preferred form.

As I say we formed ours into ravioli and filled with cheese squeezing out all air and sealing with a little water.

Into salted boiling water for about 5 mins.

Wonderful and so easy (y)

Not yet Terri, but it will be on the cards. This was the (i'm ashamed to say) the first time I've made fresh pasta.

It certainly won't be the last though.

add some fresh ground black pepper next time to the mix... i just wondered if the meat mix should be cold? will find out.. and Andrew.... well done.

Thanks for tip on the pepper Terri. I'd imagine the meat mix (or any filling) should be cool to prevent steaming/cooking the pasta, but that's just a guess. :)

Not really a recipe, more a possible tip!

Since I'm still waking at silly o'clock, I decided to make some good use of the time. So I peeled a load of garlic (about 30 cloves) in readiness for a more civilised hour at which to start the mini food processor up. Come 7:30, I whizzed the garlic up with a hefty glug or 3 of good EVOO, lobbed it in a baby saucepan with even more EVOO (about 1/2 pint in total) and set it over a very gentle heat to just cook through, partly to cook it and partly to kill any beasties. Once cooked, I left it to cool for a while until it was cool enough to pour off some of the excess oil (we now have just under 1/2 pint of garlic infused EVOO for dressings and cooking) then spooned the fried (almost confit) garlic into a silicone ice tray. Hopefully the oily garlic will set enough to decant into a plastic tub so when we need some we can just pop a cube into the pan for instant garlic yumminess - even if it doesn't set solid enough, we can leave the mush in the tray and use it from there.

Anyone got any other time saving (and quiet!) little things I can do in the kitchen while my wife's still asleep?

Cheers Nod that is gonna save me loads and will have to think of some time savers

You can do the same trick with stock , and with pureed ginger, curry spices etc - you could also make batches of curry sauce, pasta sauce etc and freeze them in tubs or bags.

You can do the same trick with stock , and with pureed ginger, curry spices etc - you could also make batches of curry sauce, pasta sauce etc and freeze them in tubs or bags.

oh i do all that.. just never thought about the garlic before

Picked up some Samphire today. Never used it before but going to give this a go on Tuesday.

I do like samphire, but be warned when you add it to the oil in the pan it WILL spit :D

Picked up some Samphire today. Never used it before but going to give this a go on Tuesday.

And how does Wendy feel about that?;)

Yup, a similar trick works for stock and other herbs/spices but for stock you'll generally need more than an ice cube sized portion - yoghurt pots might be big enough, if not, treat it like ice cream; churn to stop it going too hard to scoop then use an ice cream scoop to use. Curry spices may be best fried off in ghee rather than oil - or a mix.

One word of warning about using the Lakeland silicone ice cube trays for oily garlic - chances are that it'll taint the trays!

Well, the Salmon with samphire was delicious. I didn't have any fresh ginger so I used a little bit of chilli instead and kept it healthy by omitting the cream (although I may use it the next time) but it was still very tasty.

And how does Wendy feel about that?;)

:LOL:

I've met Wendy and she's a lovely lady so I'm sure she's fine with it. :D

Hey guys. We are trying a slow cooker maple brown sugar ham. Luckily a lovely ham was on special offer in tescos so that made it a bit cheaper. Will post pics later :)

will see if its good first lol :) as its our 1st time trying it

A quick addendum to the garlic tip above - use loads of good olive oil and almost confit the finely chopped garlic. Drain the excess oil off and leave to stand for a while to let all the solids and water sink, then carefully pour the clear oil into a sterile bottle and keep as you do other oils. You don't need much to add an intense garlic flavour to dressings, risottos etc! (Also works with paprika, truffles, oregano etc.)

Clovelly Devon Apple Cake

350g Bramley Apple - peeled, cored and roughly chopped into chunks
225g Plain flour
115g caster sugar
30g soft brown sugar
115g of Butter
2 large eggs
1.5 tsp baking powder
0.5tsp salt

1) preheat oven to 200 C (fan) , grease a 20cm dia cake tin

2) Mix flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl

3) Cut butter into small cubes and rub in until he mixture resembles breadcrumbs

4) Stir in caster sugar

5) work in eggs with wooden spoon

6) add apple chunks and mix well

7) Spoon mixture into baking tin and flatten out

8) Sprinkle brown sugar over top

9) Cover top of tin with foil and bake for 35 mins - then remove foil and bake for another 10

10) Allow to cool before removing from tin

I made this today - original recipe from the Bratton and Clovelly Parish Council website - Picture to be added once i get it off my blackberry

Now Pete that looks like i have a recipe for the weekend than you...

i can't eat fish but am trying to get the girls to eat more. i know the dyed stuff is not the best but it is all i could get.(still cost a bomb)

but i have no idea how to cook it to make it as nice as possible. so any idea would be great.
thank you in advance

i can't eat fish but am trying to get the girls to eat more. i know the dyed stuff is not the best but it is all i could get.(still cost a bomb)

but i have no idea how to cook it to make it as nice as possible. so any idea would be great.
thank you in advance

Simplest way I know is to loosely wrap it in foil with a knob of butter and some lemon juice, salt and pepper. Then just whack it in the ven for 15 minutes.

That said, it's what I do with the undyed suff, shouldn't be anny different though.

Quick straw poll: When boiling water in a pan for cabbage etc do you use cold water from cold tap and boil or use hot water from hot tap to give it a "start"?
Ive always associated hot water with near instantaneous death so always use cold. Wondering if Im a bit odd.

Cheers

Back