The TP Cook Book

I usually boil a kettle (from cold water tap) and have a brew at the same time :)

We use filtered water for cooking and drinking - if cooking and starting from cold required, kettle to speed things up.

Pulled Pork ..

1 tblp ground cumin
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp ground pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 cup brown sugar

Mix together in a bowl, then rub over a Pork Shoulder joint. Place in oven (fat up), uncovered, at 150c for five hours (it`s supposed to look chared, its the sugar).

Pull apart with two forks, and serve.

made this week and was fantastic

Spookily I was just about to post in here after I noticed it was neglected for 2 months

Anyway, this is what we had last night and it was scrummy.

Coconut curried chicken

Ingredients

For the marinade

1 tsp finely chopped chillies
1 tsp peeled, finely chopped ginger
1 tsp finely grated or crushed garlic

For the chicken

2 chicken breast quarters, scored 3-4 times across the breast
3 tbsp olive or sunflower oil, plus extra for the chicken
A good couple of handfuls of very finely chopped red onions
1 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1 1/2 tsp peeled, finely chopped root ginger
1 tsp finely chopped chillies
1/2 tsp medium curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
250 ml coconut milk

Method

For the marinade: mix all the ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon of salt together and rub well into and over the chicken legs, making sure to go into the slits. Place in a plastic container with lid on and keep in the fridge for at least an hour.

For the chicken: preheat the oven to 200C. Lightly brush the chicken with oil, then place on a baking tray in middle of the oven and cook for 30–40 minutes, or until done. Remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat a medium-sized frying pan. When it’s hot, put the 3 tablespoons of oil and add the onion, frying for about 5 minutes or until the pieces brown at the edges.

Add the garlic, ginger and chilli. Stir for 1 minute. Add the ground cumin, the curry powder,the turmeric and 1/4 teaspoon of salt, stirring all the while.

Mix in the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Cook rapidly over a medium-high heat, stirring, until the sauce thickens a bit.

Place the chicken in the sauce to heat through, spooning the sauce over it. Remove from the heat. Take the chicken pieces out, put them on a warmed serving plate and pour the sauce over the top.

Serve with Bombay Potatoes and some naan bread

Well, given where you've moved to, better get cracking with te haggis! :D

I hate it but looks like i am going to have to as someone here loves it just got to catch one yet..

I have 375g of blueberries in the freezer that need something doing with them, just can't make my mind up, so anyone got any ideas for me :)

Ice cream???? or Muffins.. pancakes...

Terri, see if you can find Vix - I'm sure she's still convinced they have to be hunted down!!!

Terri, see if you can find Vix - I'm sure she's still convinced they have to be hunted down!!!

you know i just found an old email address for her this morning.. but you just have me crying with laughter :LOL::D honest real tears..

Made this on valentines day this year... I hadn't made something this delicious before, nor have I since :p Prepare to get your chef on and be moderately stressed out!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8263/roast-duck-two-ways-with-spiced-clementine-sauce

1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground ginger
pinch ground allspice
6 or so thyme sprigs, left whole
zest 2 clementines, juice of 4
1 large duck breast with skin on
2 duck legs
For the sauce
50g light muscovado sugar
100ml sherry vinegar
150ml good chicken stock
knob of butter

OK I am going to post a couple for the bbq fans a rub and a bbq sauce that I use for ribs plus a lot of other things

for the rub (sorry its all in cups these are modified american recipes.)

1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Paprika
4 Tablespoons malvern see salt flakes
3 Tablespoons Coarse Pepper
2.5 Tablespoons Onion Powder
3 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
4 Tablespoons cup Cayenne Pepper
4 Tablespoons Chilli Powder

Mix all ingredients together and keep in airtight jar ( warning it gets hotter with time in the jar)

Also adjust the Cayenne pepper and Chilli powder if you are not so keen on heat.

for the bbq sauce

2 cups Ketchup
1/2 cup Lemon juice
4 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
4 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
4 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
4 Teaspoons Dry Mustard
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
4 Tablespoons Honey
1 cup Bourbon.

mix all the ingredients together and simmer for approx 15 mins ( I then put it on the bbq for 30mins to add a nice smokey flavour to it but I do not have it over the coals I have it on the cool side of the bbq so not to burn the wotsits out of it.

OK so what do I do with them both? Ribs are great,I come them in the following way

I cover a whole rack of ribs with a good dose of the rub and leave them to marinate over night.

I cook these on a bbq with the indirect heat method ( if you are not sure what this is I can explain if you want)

I sear the ribs for 30secs to 1 min over the coals then place them on the cooler side of the bbq and let them cook for about an hour then I bast the ribs with the bbq sauce ever 10 to 15 mins for 2 to 3 hours

As a side you could try home made baked beans

Chuck all the following in a pan I use an old crusset (sp) cast iron pan and simmer till thick again you can cook on the bbq of if I cook on the stove I chuck them on bbq to simmer for a while to add a great smokey flavor to them.

2 1lb. cans of your favorite pre-cooked beans I am using cannelloni beans
1/4lb. thick-cut bacon,
1/4 cup maple syrup,
1 cup brown sugar,
1 cup chopped onion,
1/4 cup ketchup,
1/4 cup cider vinegar,
4 tablespoons prepared mustard I am using hotdog mustard

these are lovely and freeze really well along with the bbq sauce

After being introduced to a shot of vanilla syrup in a latte, I've got hooked! Since the syrup isn't cheap (and I am!!!), I decided to have a go at making some. Found a basic sugar syrup (for cocktails) recipe online, I made some of that and added some vanilla extract until I got the same taste as the bottle of syrup I did buy. The final recipe is so simple and easy-

300ml (yup, measure by volume) granulated sugar
200ml water
4 teaspoons (20ml) vanilla extract (or to taste)

Put all ingredients into a decent saucepan and bring to the boil (careful - concentrated sugar solution boils quite hot!) while stirring frequently. Allow to cool before bottling.

One teaspoon of syrup is approximately equal to a heaped teaspoon of sugar.

Is this thread still alive?

Made Liver and bacon with onion gravy a few times but it seems lacking somehow. Maybe some sort of bean in with the sauce might work I thought? Anyone got and tips for a nice liver and bacon nosh up?

Cheers

I was pretty sure that there was already a recipe thread but a search failed to unearth it so here is (a new) one!

While I'm certainly not a vegan or even veggie, Mrs Nod is veggie (but not vegan) so keeps an eye out for interesting and healthy recipes, especially easy ones! The latest one she's found is vegan and also gluten free... Despite my slight reservations as to its suitability for a meatatarian, I was very pleasantly surprised - I wouldn't be sharing it if it wasn't delicious!

Apple sauce English muffins.

1 tablespoon Chia seeds
1 cup porridge oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons apple sauce
1 tablespoon vegan milk (Mrs Nod used vanilla flavoured soya milk and the result was delicious!)

Whizz all dry ingredients in a food processor until as fine as you want it (15-30 seconds should do it). Stir in the wet ones until well combined. Put the gloop in a microwaveable mg and nuke it for 2 minutes on full power (900 W microwave). Turn out and eat!

Feel free to shift/merge the threads, Marc. I searched for recipe and recipes but not cook-book. Mea culpa!

Funny a recipe thread should appear in front of my eyes. I just caught the tail end of something on the Food Channel: a meatloaf of sorts. I like the sound of that, but have never done it, although I do make meatballs using different meats/flavours, different sauces too.

Anyone got a tasty meatloaf recipe? I'm thinking ambitious here, maybe mixing meats, I like chicken livers too.

Anyone got a tasty meatloaf recipe? I'm thinking ambitious here, maybe mixing meats

Never mixed meats but I do have a standard recipe which I use for meatloaf, meatballs and burgers

1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 inch cube of ginger, grated
500g lean steak mince (could use lamb or turkey mince)
1 egg, beaten
Panko breadcrumbs

Heat oven to 200 degrees

Fry the onion with the garlic, ginger and chilli

Place the mince in a bowl with the onion mix and the beaten egg and mix well.

Gradually add in the breadcrumbs and work with the ands until you get a mouldable consistency.

Line a greased loaf tin with streaky bacon then place the meat mixture in, folding ten ends of the bacon rashers over the top

Placed in the oven for 45-60 minutes

Remove from the loaf tin, slice and enjoy

Chicken Curry a la fabs

2 skinless chicken breast fillets cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp turmeric
2 echalion shallots
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 inch cube of ginger, grated
2 tbsp tomato puree
30g fresh coriander
4 tbsp ground nut oil
1 150g pack of Maggi coconut milk mixed o approximately 300ml

Peel and halve the shallots and place in the bowl of a hand blender

Place the fennel seeds, coriander seeds and salt in a pestle & mortar or spice/coffee grinder and grind into a coarse powder, then add to the blender bowl

Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the chicken and coconut milk) to the blender bowl and blend to a fine paste

In large frying pan, fry the chicken until it's sealed ten remove from the pan

Add 3 tablespoons of the curry paste to the pan and fry for about a minute

pour the coconut milk ad stir until well mixed with the paste

Add the chicken back into the pan ad mix well

Cover and lower heat to simmer for 10 minutes (time to cook the rice and heat some naan bread)

Serve with beer!

Note: You should have half the curry paste left over. Put it in a jar and place it in the fridge, it'll keep for a couple of weeks at least.

Remove from the loaf tin, slice and enjoy

Thanks Marc, sounds good. I'd forgotten the bacon lining trick, on TV this morning I saw the mix (in mouldable consistency) placed onto grease-proof paper, shaped into a flattish loaf and baked.

Any more inspiring suggestions? Meatloaf le difference?

Back