The Ultimate Car Rig Photography Thread!

Sorry, a bit late replying! Just awaiting a reply about adding a wire and bracket to it. To answer questions, yes they can be bought now, I have another car rig shoot tomorrow or Saturday night so I'll shoot some phone movies to show it in use and the bounce.

On a different note, does anyone here use a disclaimer when rigging cars as I'm going to be shooting a £30k restored custom Beetle and if the paints soft I'm worried about the suction cups.

just spent the last two days reading every page of this.very impresive indeed.think i need to try my hand at making my own rig

Cheers, think I'll take a punt and get one as I need some more length, however does selling have to be through the for sale section on here?
Might be worth sticking up an ad with all the details?

The gentleman is called Stephen and his website is www.faceliftcleaning.co.uk/ but they sell through 3rd party companies so their website is more like a shop window. Buying through them is like missing out the middle man and buying direct from the factory. They can be bought through himself or through me via Paypal.

Is that not an off-the-shelf window cleaning pole?

lol! No, no flex like that! Indeed he makes poles for window cleaners but as he makes them day in day out and they are made there on site from scratch he is able to make any type of pole you need! The pole he has made me is a lot thicker, wider and stronger than the above link so fear not!

Is that not an off-the-shelf window cleaning pole?
Nice, post a link here when done. I might spot it then

For those worried, I looked at a cleaning pole back early in this thread, about 18 months ago? Seemed to be ok the, provided in didn't use the smallest pole. If this is stronger then that'll be great.

tried cheating today and using Bleex (bit like virtual rig). A big learning curve as I dont know much about photoshop either so i had to use tutorials on youtube

10384676_10154341429960032_8632791619011749059_n.jpg

Do we all know the trick of taking a second shot when the car isn't moving, so there's no bounce, then adding it as a second layer in PS and using a layer mask to paint in sharp bits like grille etc in case you have a bit of unwanted blur due to the camera bouncing?

I havent posted anything here since last December! Heres some recent shots though I havent really been using my rig lately...

1982247_752871354747578_3654017650221302404_n.jpg

1551489_752871314747582_7543318780044787063_n.jpg

1969284_735636266471087_2095167086_n.jpg

1614139_10152253010711882_1339082951_o.jpg

great shots. What rig set-up are you using?

my only crit would be that on the last one my eye is drawn to the "dot" at the edge of the shadow of the car. Is it a dust spot or meant to be there?

Yeah, I've mentioned that to him so we'll see about adding a tension wire. Also if the car was pushed then that would minimise the initial bounce but I think the hit was about 1 in 5!

Just edited this one:

Golf VR5 Car Rig by Pentax Gareth, on Flickr

Need a new victim, I mean car to shoot now to build a portfolio!

Make Adam push lol

I am looking at upgrading my car rig and was wondering if anyone would be interested in purchasing my current rig?

It is 4m in length and made of aluminum tubing with steel connectors and a steel "T" piece. I will include the tensioning strap also.

Would be looking for £80 and can post. Have posted all my shots in his thread if anyone wants to see the shots you can achieve with the rig :)

Sammy

Yes sorry! We're awaiting a new suppliers stock to arrive end of the week to trial a longer 4 piece unit that when fully extended will be 6 metres long although to maintain a rigid pole it's better used at 4.5 metres. It'll be the same price but hopefully a tad more rigid and more compact. Will know more on that end of the week but to answer your question, yes, the 3 piece unit is available to buy :)

Will make an ad once we know which pole set up is better :)

That tele pole would worry me with that amount of flex

I take it that's the difference (improvement) with the car camera rig or rig pro rigs? is it the increased rigidity that improves the quality of the shot?

which one do you shoot with again @Mikehamilton? Could you post up a video for comparison? I have put my order on hold as @cardiff_gareth's friend is changing the design to make it more rigid :)

I take it that's the difference (improvement) with the car camera rig or rig pro rigs? is it the increased rigidity that improves the quality of the shot?

which one do you shoot with again @Mikehamilton? Could you post up a video for comparison? I have put my order on hold as @cardiff_gareth's friend is changing the design to make it more rigid :)

Yes a more rigid pole means more sharp shots. As you don't want your camera moving during a shot. Plus I wouldn't want my camera gear hanging on a pole that bends too much.

I don't use any of the pro ones. My boom is 3 1.5m ariel masts that cost £8 each.

There are pics of it on my FB page and on here. Next time I rig I'll take a vid. But the flex is minimal at 4.5m with camera on. But I am looking at a stabiliser wire when I go to 6m

Sorry, just logging in to the thread after a few days ill! Yeah, the 3 piece does flex but that is why I made the video so others could see it in action as I don't have anything to compare it with to see if that is normal or not! That said, yes it does flex but once the car is moving the flex stays put and doesn't bounce and I found I had a very good hit rate with sharp images. I'm not sure if other people do the same but I stayed behind the camera with remote in hand and as an added extra gently cupped the end of the pole when shooting. What we're looking at now is a 6 metre 4 piece unit that's made up of full carbon sections so much stronger but the end piece (the bit you hold) made out of a fibreglass / carbon mix (Heath & Safety lightning strike!). The idea is that the same length can be reached (4.5m) but as each pole section isn't fully extended but remains in the other then it should make it a more rigid unit. If you want to extend to the full 6 metres then obviously it would flex but we're looking at making ring that can be slid over the end section that'll house the brace T section.

@Mikehamilton - What are you using at camera end as currently I used a manfrotto magic arm but they're long so it hangs really low from the pole making a huge counter weight. That would give me less flex I reckon and also keep the camera away from the ground when shooting low angle shots!

Back