The Ultimate Car Rig Photography Thread!

Tonights efforts gave me this.... A 5m pole from work.... F8 iso 100 for 30 seconds found out i have mould and a scratch on the lens so im changing soon. Thinking sigma 10-20

Piddling down all day today so used half an hour in an underground car park for more practice today while her indoors did some shopping.

Need more and more practice :-(

First shot: EOS 5DClassic, f20 4seconds iso50 at 24mm

15556634400_838de6d2ff_o.jpg

Second shot: Fuji XF1 compact f11 2 seconds iso100 at 6.4mm

15556018788_b67f6804e2_o.jpg

may sound a bit daft but what shutter speed are you typically using and how far and fast is the car travelling? sorry fascinated by this but have no idea other than wow!

This was taken today with a 2 second shutter...pushing from the back i reckon i did less than 1 full wheel rotation.....thats how slow i pushed. Well my friend did

may sound a bit daft but what shutter speed are you typically using and how far and fast is the car travelling? sorry fascinated by this but have no idea other than wow!

I tend to go for anything between 20-30 seconds depending on the light. The car moves at most about 1-2 wheel rotations. It is pushed very very slowly.

This is one of my issues, I need to experiment with shutter speed vs distance vs speed to get it right.

To be fair my second shot above was only with a compact just for fun though.

Decent shots for a compact camera, I like the first shot best, the second shot I think could do with the green being removed from around the car :)

Nice shot Matt, can really see your technique coming along. Again a shorter exposure just for the ground would improve this shot just to remove the "floaty" feeling. Maybe just 5-10 seconds then merge the two in photoshop. Also maybe reduce the yellow/green hue slightly from the floor and ceiling :)

Bet you can't wait to get the new rig :)

I was out with an M6 yesterday before the rain came. Found a great location but was disappointed the sky was so white and bland. Such a good colour of car to photograph :)

Still more to edit but here are a few just now...

Steve M6 30 by SDUK SDUK, on Flickr

Steve M6 29 by SDUK SDUK, on Flickr

Steve M6 28 by SDUK SDUK, on Flickr

Steve M6 27 by SDUK SDUK, on Flickr

Steve M6 26 by SDUK SDUK, on Flickr

I feel my shots are really improving, such a shame we are going into winter now and the chance of good weather and daylight is reducing :)

Sammy

Steve M6 26 by SDUK SDUK, on Flickr

Evening all,

New to the forum, I'm from the Borders and new to rig-photography. My rig is currently being built by a local metal worker who can weld aluminium.

Sammy - from the exif settings on the image above that's a 30 second exposure ! How are yo able to maintain such a crisp shot with that length of exposure ?

Is this image made up of multiple layers ?

Last edited:
Evening all,

New to the forum, I'm from the Borders and new to rig-photography. My rig is currently being built by a local metal worker who can weld aluminium.

Sammy - from the exif settings on the image above that's a 30 second exposure ! How are yo able to maintain such a crisp shot with that length of exposure ?

Is this image made up of multiple layers ?

Hi Henri, thanks for joining the thread, good to have another person getting involved :)

Yeah that shot was 30 seconds with an ND400 filter. It is one shot, no layers. I used to think the same as you but it's actually the opposite of what you would think would happen. The long the exposure, the longer the image of the car can "burn" into the sensor and increase the sharpness of the shot. If you know what I mean?

Really really nice images! Been uber busy with work and on location / home portrait photo shoots, well it is that time of year! so been a bit quiet but that'll change now as I've decided to concentrate on my own pleasure photography so I'll be out more often!

Yes, 2 suction cups and 2 manfrotto 035 super clamps is all you need to attach the pole to the car. I use Manfrotto Avenger F1000 suction cups but there are others, most have been mentioned along the way in this thread.

Camera end there are two choices. Either a manfrotto magic arm or a manfrotto 155 twin ball joint bracket :)

Just got my pole from Gareth and ok its the wrong size, but the quality etc is very good and highly recommended!!

Some cracking shots!!

If like me there are a few people on s budget...seek gareth....i ordered one of his 6m telescopic poles and im very impressed with his service and of course the pole.

Here are a couple of examples:

Im looking to build a new rig out of carbon in the new year but wondered what joints people are using. At the moment on my alu one ive made a sleeve deisgn but its a bit long winded and wondered if there was any other ways to do it. I want to build around a 6m one as my 4m is abit small sometimes now
I might be interested in your old rig matt or at least a meet up and chat I think your pretty local to me and are mates with a few people I am to, drop me a message if you ever fancy a meet or need a hand on a rig shoot.

We all have our "dream" cars ....1 of mine is a mustang. So was was well chuffed when i managed to sort out a shoot.

Back