Thinking of changing my camera bag

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
When I bought my 450D second hand, it came with a Canon 10EG Deluxe Gadget Bag. It's a very nice bag, but I find I usually end up leaving it at home as it's not very convenient for the type of stuff I do.

I've been looking at the Lowepro Slingshots and they seem pretty much perfect for me. I'm going to nip into Jessops and try out the different sizes but just wondered what peoples thoughts are on them?

Also, just so I've got an idea, can anyone tell me which Slingshot I would need for a 450D (with lens attached) and maybe 2 other short-ish lenses ?

Can't go wrong with a slingshot, well made with lots of padding. Size wise is down to you, but your likely to add to your kit so allow room to grow.

It you don't mind used, lots available for £30ish.

I found the slingshots a bit gash to be honest. The bag itself is fine. The system for the strap is terrible.

Can't go wrong with a slingshot, well made with lots of padding. Size wise is down to you, but your likely to add to your kit so allow room to grow.

It you don't mind used, lots available for £30ish.
Thanks for your answer Chris :)
I guess you're right. I'll head down to Jessops with my kit and try a few out for size. Then I'll probably give Ebay a try for a used one ;)

I found the slingshots a bit gash to be honest. The bag itself is fine. The system for the strap is terrible.
Hi Tommy. Can you expand on that a little? What was it about the strap that you didn't like?

I had a slingshot 100 or 200, and the strap system is designed to go across the body from left to right, with a second, thinner, securing strap coming up from the lower left and clicking into the main strap. What I found was that this was comfortable for walking about with, but the bag never seemed to sit very well when just slung over one shoulder for short moves. Hope this makes sense?

I have the 300AW slingshot and tbh I don't like it. I'd rather have a shoulder bag.

Thanks for your answers guys :)

I guess it's down to personal opinion as to whether it feels comfortable or not. I definitely need to try wearing one with a bit of weight in it. I'll pop to Jessops over the weekend (y)

Bit slow on the reply here James, but I have a SS100 with my 450D and can fit in body with either the 10-22/24-105 mounted and my 100-400 at a push.. so it works well.. I often stick my nifty fifty loose in the top pocket as its so small and cheap (and I'm secretly wanting a reason to have to upgrade it :D).. If I don't take the 100-400, then I can easily fit the nifty in with the other stuff..

My only issue is that I've no way of fitting the hoods in, so I often shoot without unless I know I'm going to be shooting in direct sunlight.

Thanks for your reply Ben :)

Quick update: I went to Jessops a couple of days ago and tried on the 102 & 202. I've decided on the 102. Hopefully I can find a second hand one in good condition for less than the £50 retail price ;)

I had the problem of weight with my slingshot 300.

I now have a kata bag I can't remember the model off the top of my head but it's something like 3n1-30

It works the same as a slingshot in that it can be slung and opened from the side or fully open the front but to me it offers some major advantages :

The primary one being a second strap!! This means it can quickly convert to a rucksack or you can even cross the straps across your chest.

It also has the ability to open the camera section from the top section, or vice versa

The memory card pocket is Velcro so can be moved anywhere

Additional small pockets on the outside of the top section

Semi rigid carry handle on the top ( you can't imagine how useful this is until you use it)

In short I love it!! I think it's better padded, more flexible and more secure than the lowepro range.

The Missus also uses the smaller rucksack, is it a dr-461 or something and that is great also'nn

Thanks for the link Adam. I think I'd have to try one on before I bought one. I've tried on the Slingshot and it seems perfect for me. Thanks anyway though.

Do you have a London camera exchange near to you? I brought my think tank from there and they do a really good range of other makes, I was able to try it on and have a good look at all the others without any fuss, I thought about the slingshot but prefer to have the weight over both shoulders, the think tanks are quite slim if you didn't want a box shaped bag like the tamrac.

I have the 400aw slingshot i like it, size wise and space wise its great, the zips are against your back too so nobody can open your bags and take any of your gear out.

The worst bit is the flap on the back does not flap over flat it keeps bouncing back, but its still great.

Im currently looking for a shoulder bag now too.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I ended up going for the Slingshot 102AW. I've had it a couple of days now and I love it (y)

Got a bargain too as Amazon reduced it's price just before I ordered it :cool:

Back