Thinking of going full frame...

We're getting deeper in 'equivalence' here, but you can replicate an image on either format by changing focal length and adjusting aperture one stop - framing, perspective and DoF will then be the same. If you then also adjust ISO one stop, then that should restore noise and dynamic range as the actual light/photon capture will be the same, too (assuming similar sensor performance).

This comparison works out pretty well in practise, though there's one factor that cannot easily be equalised, and that's lens sharpness. The smaller sensor demands higher resolution, therefore image contrast goes down and it doesn't look as sharp.

Good article on equivalence between formats here https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2666934640/what-is-equivalence-and-why-should-i-care
I think we're talking of similar things but just looking at it slightly differently. My preference is to shoot wide open, preferably at f1.4 if I had the money to buy all the f1.4 primes. Without going onto faster manual focus only lenses I could not replicate the same shot on crop as say a shot taken at 85mm f1.4 from 3m.

I think we're talking of similar things but just looking at it slightly differently. My preference is to shoot wide open, preferably at f1.4 if I had the money to buy all the f1.4 primes. Without going onto faster manual focus only lenses I could not replicate the same shot on crop as say a shot taken at 85mm f1.4 from 3m.

Oh right, yes. If it's ultra shallow DoF you're after, then you'll run out of aperture options sooner on the smaller format camera. At the other end of the scale, full-frame users will run out of focal length sooner for birding etc.

Oh right, yes. If it's ultra shallow DoF you're after, then you'll run out of aperture options sooner on the smaller format camera. At the other end of the scale, full-frame users will run out of focal length sooner for birding etc.
Yeah, that's why I mentioned DOF initially. I'm one of 'those' people I'm afraid ;)

Back