Time capsule and external back ups

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
One for the mac experts. I am thinking of getting a time capsule to replace my windows home server. Is it possible to automate a backup of the photos, music etc from the capsule to another external hard drive that can be taken elsewhere? I would use the time machine option but wouldn't need that backed up externally. I hope that makes sense!

I use time capsule for the MAC, Carbonite for an offsite copy and have a auto sync job that does a copy to a serverbox that lives elsewhere in the house.

I have a HP microserver, for the cost of a decent time capsule i have 8tb of storage in mine.... :)

crashtestmac said:
I use time capsule for the MAC, Carbonite for an offsite copy and have a auto sync job that does a copy to a serverbox that lives elsewhere in the house.

I have a HP microserver, for the cost of a decent time capsule i have 8tb of storage in mine.... :)

Thanks for that. I don't really have the room for something too large, the windows home server is intrusive in our tv room and I want something smaller and less noisy to replace it. I will have a look at auto sync. I don't really want to use an online backup method, the time involved is just prohibitive.

ok - Here's what I do
My Imac has a 640GB Hard drive with all the photos etc stored on there.
My imac is wirelessly connected to a time capsule which uses time machine and gets backed up every hour

I then have a USB 1TB hard drive connected directly to the imac. I use a program called chronosync to sync across my itunes, videos and photo's folder. This includes my lightroom catalogue and runs once every day.

Finally, I have a 1TB portable hard drive that lives at my parents house. Every weekend I bring it home and take a complete bootable clone of the imac using carbon copy cloner. This then gets taken back to my parents house.

My main back up is Time Capsule/Time Machine, rather than back up from there I have another FW HDD that I use with CCCloner for my offsite backup. This backup is also bootable, which could be very handy in an emergency.

I use a Time Capsule (wired) and also offsite backups with CrashPlan - I paid about $180 for a 3 year subscription with unlimited storage. With CrashPlan you can also backup to a local device, a device at another location (a friends house or work) or to another service provider, it also has version control. Only problem is you can't seed your backups in the UK as yet.

TM backups are stored in one flat file and if you run out of space it will overwrite older backups to accommodate for new ones, however, it does worn you.

There is an application called TimeMachineScheduler if you want to reschedule when TM backs up your files.

Steve

Last edited:
i use timemachine and superduper to create a bootable clone, once you have been down the road of losing a hardrive and all your current work you will not want a repeat of the experience.... interesting other options though

+1 (y)

i use timemachine and superduper to create a bootable clone, once you have been down the road of losing a hardrive and all your current work you will not want a repeat of the experience.... interesting other options though

I use Time Machine to back-up everything, and also have a separate external HDD for backing up my photography work using SilverKeeper a free backup application from LaCie

PS I don't use LaCie drives just their free app :)

Back