Tip Top Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we get a "shill" smilie? ;)

I'm losing count of all the people signing up just to extol the virtues of St Ben...

Is that 5 now?

FreelanderT, that's fantastic.

I'd love to see some images taken with your new DSLR.

Maybe a couple of your original order, invoice and maybe a screen shot of the tracking page from the couriers website.

You aint worthy of a constructive decent reply FreelanderT

Shill.

Ben/Drew,Dhruv? :D Have you ever heard the phrase; `If you find yourself in a deep dark hole........STOP DIGGING!` :LOL:

I wasn't going to bother writing this because it will obviously get shot down in flames

HTH :shifty:

The more shil accounts these guys open the more obvious it becomes. This thread has more one post wonders than most entire forums have.

Well came home on Friday to a voicemail from Ben, 1st up from his accent I am pretty sure he is British. He said they cannot source the camera I ordered, not good as that was a week gone but he also emailed and said he would refund (also offered me the next model up at a discount and provided the link to the other reseller but I was after the NEX6 not the 7), I emailed back and said ok to the refund. Now I know this can take 3 days average, he said up to 10 days... I will post when the refund has gone back in! meanwhile I have ordered from another shop so am currently down the cost of 2 cameras, hopefully the refund will be back in this week so I can eat!

Last edited:
In this day and age it does NOT take up to 10 days for a credit card refund. If he does it today it should on your card statement within a day or two tops.
It's a shame it took him a week to tell you you can't source the camera. It makes you wonder if he was ever planning on sourcing it and why it's on their website in the first place.

Wanted a DSLR for my wife's birthday.

Found Tip Top Electronics.

Because the price was so good, I was a little suspicious so I checked out some reviews and they seemed legit. I, therefore, ordered a camera.

It took a while to arrive and I started to get a bit antsy so I looked them up again and found this forum. Initially, I got worried but I soon realised that no one on here had any complaints about actually ordering something and being stitched up. It is all just speculation. After reading some more, I realised that they had been trading for some months. Given that and the fact that this forum was relatively easy to find, I came to the conclusion that (if the site was dodgy) there would be plenty of people on here by now, complaining about not getting items or refunds.

I called Ben and was reassured by an obviously English accent: not in a racist way, I hasten to add, but simply because it was further reassurance that the company was a legitimate UK company.

Ben was happy to provide a tracking number for my order and I'm happy to say that it arrived just over two weeks after I had ordered it and in time for my wife's birthday.

I wasn't going to bother writing this because it will obviously get shot down in flames but then I thought, why should I let people bully me into staying silent. Instead, I'll write this and then not bother reading any of the replies. People can make their own minds up about Tip Top Electronics. All I'll say is, have a read through this forum and see if anyone dares writing that they have ordered something and not received either the item or a refund; add this to the fact that they have now been trading for some months and that this forum is very easy to find. Decide if these facts reassure you enough and then decide if you can wait a bit longer for the item if the savings justify it.

Cheers!

Nice one Ben - you are fooling NO one

Les :rolleyes:

Hi Everyone,

I've been following this thread for around three weeks now, and I've joined the site to share my experience - Impartially!

I was looking to purchase a Canon 60D saw a good price on TipTop, and like most other people googled 'Tip Top electronics review'... and thats how I ended up here.The first few pages of this thread look like something straight off of '24'... researching I.P address etc, maybe you people are in the wrong careers?! Anyways, I digress...

After reading a lot about this company, I decided to go ahead and purchase a Canon 60D and twin lens bundle from TipTop at £558. I decided to use PayPal in order to protect myself against anything going wrong.

I placed my order on the 8th of January, meaning that as I write, I am on day 7 of the "7-10 business days" quoted on the website when ordering with option 1.

I received a Order Confirmation email around 1:30hrs after submitting my payment, my order number is #11927

By Friday 10th, the funds had left my account.

On Saturday 11th, feeling a bit edgy that my order status on the TipTop website was still showing 'processing', I decided to give them a call to make sure everything was moving forwards. A gent (THE GENT?) picked up the phone, very polite. It was the man of the hour - Ben. I explained the above, and he said that the website is still undergoing upgrades, and that the order status is a bit out of date in terms of updating the specific stage of the order. He assured me that everything was looking good, and that I could expect my order at the end of next week (wk commencing Monday 13th), or early the week after (wk communing 20th - this week).

I will update you all on the delivery etc when/if it happens, and will be truthful if it's early/late etc. We can call it a fair and un-baised case study (I just want my 60D!!).

P.S, I'm not affiliated with the company in any way, and don't know Ben from Adam - apart from speaking to him during the phone call we had.

P.S.S - And for the Dave1's, ecolemans and Oldcarlos' of this world, I'm a real live boy, named Gareth, living in London and working in television. You can find me here >

uk.linkedin.com/pub/gareth-prescott/44/8b7/276/
https://BANNED/Gareth_Prescott

Last edited:
Last edited:
Oh ecoleman, I've read all the post's here...
What do you use? Facebook? https://www.facebook.com/gazprescott
Or of course there is my professional linked in profile, that's been overlooked here... (you can trace my work/school history back to 2007!) - a little elaborate to say the least!But yes, I hope it arrives too, I will keep you all updated and hopefully post a picture of me in London holding my new 60D

This is beyond ridiculous!

I presume the mods haven't killed the new registrations at birth because of their entertainment value...

Got to admit, reading the daily updates on this thread is all that keeps me going - it's better than Eastenders in here:)

Got to admit, reading the daily updates on this thread is all that keeps me going - it's better than Eastenders in here:)

:D I must admit, I can't help looking each night to see how the story is unfolding, quite entertaining it is. :beer:

I do wonder why folk ignore the possible issues pointed out, titpot's T&C's & the negative reviews (not just on here btw, but all over the 'net) but hey ho it's your money.

Gareth, as for price though, that's defo v good! (60D, not 600D?) so understand the attraction.

It is a good price yes oldcarlos! Sure it's 60D as that's what it says on the confirmation! The low price is also what got me to seak out reviews on tiptop, leading me too this forum.

And thanks ecoleman, I was nearly scanning my passport! ;-)

Give up Ben, this is getting pathetic now.

Now now Nikon Nick, don't get your knickers all twisted up.
I am a real genuine happy customer and I stand by what I said.

True that I am new to this site but as far as I can tell there's a few negative things being written on here that just are not true. My GENUINE experience of tip top was really very good.

Once I've had chance to get out with the GM1 I will post up a few pics.

I'm new to photography too and I actually purchased this camera following the loss of my old compact Lumix TZ8, I wanted something equally as pocketable but much better quality. I'm hoping this will do the job nicely and with the saving I got through buying from this site made this upgrade a way more affordable option.

Now now Nikon Nick, don't get your knickers all twisted up.
I am a real genuine happy customer and I stand by what I said.

True that I am new to this site but as far as I can tell there's a few negative things being written on here that just are not true. My GENUINE experience of tip top was really very good.

Once I've had chance to get out with the GM1 I will post up a few pics.

I'm new to photography too and I actually purchased this camera following the loss of my old compact Lumix TZ8, I wanted something equally as pocketable but much better quality. I'm hoping this will do the job nicely and with the saving I got through buying from this site made this upgrade a way more affordable option.

Tonights news. Another new forum member has positive experience of Top Tat electronics! Older, more intelligent forum members in dont belive a word of it shocker!!!

Tonights news. Another new forum member has positive experience of Top Tat electronics! Older, more intelligent forum members in dont belive a word of it shocker!!!
Ah right I see the problem now;
You're the jealous competition.
So what's your real name?
John Lewis?
Amazon?
Pixmania?
Hmm nothing quite as high ranking... I think; probably quite 'low grade'
Shocker? Really?

neat.gif

Ah right I see the problem now;
You're the jealous competition.
So what's your real name?
John Lewis?
Amazon?
Pixmania?
Hmm nothing quite as high ranking... I think; probably quite 'low grade'
Shocker? Really?

Come on then Dunk0, shut me up and show me proof.

I suspect the best way to get what you order or a timely refund is to post about it on this thread, TT are desperate to prove the majority of us wrong and go the extra mile if they think it will help.
Glad you got your refund patriotspyke though you're wrong about TT trading in the uk for a good while. If they had been we'd have known about it.

Since around April 2013, that is quite a long time if they are not generating any "real" sales, they must be generating some to pay rent, web hosting, web design and wages.

Come on then Dunk0, shut me up and show me proof.

Not that I should have to prove anything but here is a photo (taken this morning in my studio with my old iPhone so no comments on quality please!) showing this forum page, email invoice with shipping info and the GM1 that I ordered from www.tiptopelectronics.co.uk.
If you still think I'm Ben you can do some research there are a few programs at the bottom of the page Rhinoceros which is a 3D CAD program - (I also use Flamingo plug-in to render nice VR images of the things I create), AutoCAD, and of course Photoshop all of which I use for my profession.
Nikon Nick and other doubters; I don't expect an apology but just be careful of what you say in future, from my experience there is no need to be quite so negative about this company.

View attachment 4213

Nice one, Dunk but I doubt if it will put off the moaners:rolleyes:

Good news, as I say I think they are legit, just not set up how we the English expect and panic after you don't get an order or shipping notice after 10 mins... (Guilty as charged) BUT their website should be clearer regarding items as "in stock" when they are probably being imported with long lead times.

That EM1 looks tiny, or are your hands huge?

Last edited:
Not that I should have to prove anything but here is a photo (taken this morning in my studio with my old iPhone so no comments on quality please!) showing this forum page, email invoice with shipping info and the GM1 that I ordered from www.tiptopelectronics.co.uk.
If you still think I'm Ben you can do some research there are a few programs at the bottom of the page Rhinoceros which is a 3D CAD program - (I also use Flamingo plug-in to render nice VR images of the things I create), AutoCAD, and of course Photoshop all of which I use for my profession.
Nikon Nick and other doubters; I don't expect an apology but just be careful of what you say in future, from my experience there is no need to be quite so negative about this company.

View attachment 4213

You are right, you didnt 'have' to prove anything to us Dunk0. If what you have shown us here is indeed genuine, then I do of course apologise to you. Oh and congratulations, im very pleased for you that you managed to get what you paid for, genuinely. I dont like to see people scammed, lied to or generally misled, which is why I and many others on here have issues with how Top Tat choose to run their business. That, I certainly do NOT apologise for.

Dunk0, thank you for posting that. I'm sure that will clear up a few doubts.

Hopefully though you will understand why we are so sceptical about people signing up just to leave a glowing review.
This company has a history, not just in the UK, but also in aus, NZ and canada.

Let's face it,

They are related to the companies in Aus, NZ and canada, but Ben has gone out of his way to make out they are not. Obviously because of the bad reviews on this companies.

Ben may be polite, if you can get him on the phone. Their customer service is shocking. It doesn't take much to answer an email.

Their business model is out of this world. Order, Pay up front, roll a dice and pray it turns up whilst at the same time wondering if you will need to pay anything extra before it's delivered. You also have to hope that the courier doesn't loose of break it otherwise you will have to pursue them directly.

They advertise products as in stock, when in truth they are not, and in patriotspikes case it was not in stock in any of their so called warehouses. This is false advertising.

Their telephone number does not match the town they are based in.

Their terms and conditions go against just about every section in the distance selling regulations. Ben assured us they were sorting this out, but they haven't.

It has been proven that they have an Indian company posting fake reviews.

It has been proven that they actively work on getting bad reviews removed.

Do they sound like an honest company? They certainly are going out of their way to hide a lot.

Last edited:
Good news, as I say I think they are legit, just not set up how we the English expect and panic after you don't get an order or shipping notice after 10 mins... (Guilty as charged) BUT their website should be clearer regarding items as "in stock" when they are probably being imported with long lead times.

That EM1 looks tiny, or are your hands huge?
Haha, No my hands are actually quite small! The GM1 is really tiny, almost 'unbelievably' so!

Well I've just ordered a Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 Di VC USD from them for £609 which is loads cheaper than anywhere else. I read here first and then spoke to the chap at length and decided I trusted him. How many people on this forum run a small business that depends on their website to get custom? I do and I would be mortified if my business got all this bad press without any first hand experience.

I've been a member here for much longer than this thread has existed even if I don't post very often so you know I'm not a shill, I'll let you know what happens with my order.

How many people on this forum run a small business that depends on their website to get custom? I do and I would be mortified if my business got all this bad press without any first hand experience.

Me, and I would would also be mortified if my business had so much bad press. The difference is that I don't have any bad press because;

I answer my phone, I reply to emails.
My terms and conditions comply with all UK / EU law.
I actively ask for every customer for a review which are posted on my own website. Good or Bad (A business with 100% feedback is lying. We get it wrong sometimes. It's how you fix things that makes the difference.)
I have no need to employ a company to spam review sites with good reviews to cover up bad ones.
I have no need to spend my days getting bad reviews removed from review sites / forums etc
All of my products are in stock (unless otherwise stated), in the UK.
If you want it next day and as long as it's "In stock" then no problem, you'll have it the next day.
The price you see is the price you pay.

All of these points have been made clear over the last 7 pages, but none have been fixed.
If you're happy to order from a business that operates like this, that's your choice. I hope it goes well for you.

If Ben wants to go some way to prove that he wants to be a legitimate business, then why doesn't he make his terms and conditions comply with the law.
Maybe it's time we pointed Trading Standards his way and see what they have to say.

Last edited:
To avoid doubt, I'd just like to confirm I know Sandy.
In fact, he's shooting my wedding, hopefully with this lens ;)

(Hi Sandy!)

Hey Durbs, didn't know you were on here, guess if I logged in more often I might have!

ecoleman, you make good points and I don't disagree with you but like everyone I like a bargain and after talking to the guy at length decided he sounded genuine. He has obviously suffered from this thread and I think that while he could sort out a few issues with his business he is trying his best. There is a lot of work to be done as a start-up, you can't expect everything to work straight away. I will admit I am hoping I don't have to eat my words and the lens does arrive middle of next week like he said though.

How many people on this forum run a small business that depends on their website to get custom? I do and I would be mortified if my business got all this bad press without any first hand experience.

Me, and I would would also be mortified if my business had so much bad press. The difference is that I don't have bad press because:
  • I answer my phone
  • I reply to emails and Facebook posts and tweets
  • My terms and conditions comply with all UK / EU law.
  • I actively ask for every customer for a review which are posted on an independent website, TrustPilot.
  • I have no need to employ a company to spam review sites with good reviews to cover up bad ones.
  • I have no need to spend my days getting bad reviews removed from review sites / forums etc.
  • All of my products are in stock (unless otherwise stated), in the UK.
  • If you want it next day and as long as it's "In stock" then no problem, you'll have it the next day.
  • The price you see is the price you pay.
(Apologies to @ecoleman - I didn't see the need to write anything differently!)
I think that while he could sort out a few issues with his business he is trying his best. There is a lot of work to be done as a start-up, you can't expect everything to work straight away.
Trying his best? No. It's as simple as that. We've told him a load of basic legal stuff he needs to fix, and he hasn't done it.

Can you expect everything to work straight away? Yes, for basic stuff like complying with the relevant legislation.

Well I've just ordered a Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 Di VC USD from them for £609 which is loads cheaper than anywhere else. How many people on this forum run a small business that depends on their website to get custom? I do and I would be mortified if my business got all this bad press without any first hand experience.

That is very cheap, even for an importer! I was looking at that lens as a potential next investment and was getting prices around £800-850 from the usual UK places and £650 from the importers with the risk of the tax on top. The Canon 2.8 would just be too pricey for me at the minute.

I'm a new member of the forum and been keeping an eye on this thread and a few others as I've been looking up importers for a 6D and a Lens and I'm unsure about "tiptop" along with a few others and didn't want to run the gauntlet with Digital Rev if there was VAT and import duty on top.

I ordered my 6D (first full frame) from Kerso/ Flashcamera last week, the day after I almost got "done over" on Gumtree trying to buy a 5D Mk III, just waiting on that arriving and then I'll be in the market for a similar lens or a couple of primes.

I also run a small/ medium sized company myself so know how much a of a difficult situation "Ben" may be in trying to prove himself (and get all other crap sorted whilst trying to pay his own wages) when it seems the world is against him. I'll look forward to a few other members on here posting if/when they get their goods, everybody wants everything cheaper so we should stay a bit open minded (for the time being) imo.

For anyone who hasn't ran a company it's very easy to say "you should do this", "you should do that" but you want to try doing it and then see what your replies would be then. Keeping afloat, keeping tax square, paying wages, answering e-mails, answering the phone, dealing with suppliers, couriers, customers, forums, VAT, import duty and then family, friends, social life etc, it's an nightmare at the start and an 80hr week, every week after that.

I've only just joined the forum as I'm starting to take things a bit more seriously with my photography and this was a great resource to get some reliable info on Kerso.

I've no affiliation with "tiptop" or any other site like that but obviously appreciate my opinions may not be worth much to some.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back