Tip Top Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've just ordered a Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 Di VC USD from them for £609 which is loads cheaper than anywhere else. I read here first and then spoke to the chap at length and decided I trusted him. How many people on this forum run a small business that depends on their website to get custom? I do and I would be mortified if my business got all this bad press without any first hand experience.

I've been a member here for much longer than this thread has existed even if I don't post very often so you know I'm not a shill, I'll let you know what happens with my order.
That is very cheap, even for an importer! I was looking at that lens as a potential next investment and was getting prices around £800-850 from the usual UK places and £650 from the importers with the risk of the tax on top. The Canon 2.8 would just be too pricey for me at the minute.

I'm a new member of the forum and been keeping an eye on this thread and a few others as I've been looking up importers for a 6D and a Lens and I'm unsure about "tiptop" along with a few others and didn't want to run the gauntlet with Digital Rev if there was VAT and import duty on top.

I ordered my 6D (first full frame) from Kerso/ Flashcamera last week, the day after I almost got "done over" on Gumtree trying to buy a 5D Mk III, just waiting on that arriving and then I'll be in the market for a similar lens or a couple of primes.

I also run a small/ medium sized company myself so know how much a of a difficult situation "Ben" may be in trying to prove himself (and get all other crap sorted whilst trying to pay his own wages) when it seems the world is against him. I'll look forward to a few other members on here posting if/when they get their goods, everybody wants everything cheaper so we should stay a bit open minded (for the time being) imo.

For anyone who hasn't ran a company it's very easy to say "you should do this", "you should do that" but you want to try doing it and then see what your replies would be then. Keeping afloat, keeping tax square, paying wages, answering e-mails, answering the phone, dealing with suppliers, couriers, customers, forums, VAT, import duty and then family, friends, social life etc, it's an nightmare at the start and an 80hr week, every week after that.

I've only just joined the forum as I'm starting to take things a bit more seriously with my photography and this was a great resource to get some reliable info on Kerso.

I've no affiliation with "tiptop" or any other site like that but obviously appreciate my opinions may not be worth much to some.

If it fails to arrive for any reason Panamoz do the lens for £605 (or £575 if you want to risk bank transfer)
out of stock at the moment (but at least they tell you that in advance)
I've been considering this lens and it's been in and out of stock a few times over the past several weeks.

For anyone who hasn't ran a company it's very easy to say "you should do this", "you should do that" but you want to try doing it and then see what your replies would be then. Keeping afloat, keeping tax square, paying wages, answering e-mails, answering the phone, dealing with suppliers, couriers, customers, forums, VAT, import duty and then family, friends, social life etc, it's an nightmare at the start and an 80hr week, every week after that.

That's no excuse for poor service and not complying with the law. END OF!
If you can't hack it, go and find a 9-5

Keeping Tax Square - employ an accountant. Can't afford it? Stop paying for reviews and facebook likes. Now you can afford it.
Paying Wages - Well if they employed people the phones may get answered so no wages to worry about
Answering emails - Easy to do
Answering the phone - Easy to do
Dealing with suppliers - Why is this difficult
Dealing with couriers - But Ben doesn't deal with couriers, if something goes wrong the customer has to deal with that.
Dealing with customers - They don't seem to do that although this should be the first priority.
Dealing with Forums - Get the point above right and you won't have to deal with forums.
VAT - 5 minute job with any decent accounting package, plus you have an accountant right?
Import Duty - Customers problem according to Ben website

Last edited:
Ok guys you clearly have your mind made up about him. I'm not going to try to change them as, quite frankly, it really isn't that important to me. I weighed it up and decided to take the chance, I'll let you know how I get on. If it doesn't go my way, it will be a real kick in the teeth, if it does, then I just bought a damn good lens for a VERY good price.

If it fails to arrive for any reason Panamoz do the lens for £605 (or £575 if you want to risk bank transfer)
out of stock at the moment (but at least they tell you that in advance)
I've been considering this lens and it's been in and out of stock a few times over the past several weeks.

Thanks for that, I had not heard of Panamoz so cannot comment on their reputation, but their prices do look good.

Ok guys you clearly have your mind made up about him. I'm not going to try to change them as, quite frankly, it really isn't that important to me. I weighed it up and decided to take the chance, I'll let you know how I get on. If it doesn't go my way, it will be a real kick in the teeth, if it does, then I just bought a damn good lens for a VERY good price.

Seeing as this thread is all about the reputation of TipTop I would have thought the owner(s) would be falling over themselves to make sure you their best service possible. Would be foolish if he didn't.

That's no excuse for poor service and not complying with the law. END OF!
If you can't hack it, go and find a 9-5

Keeping Tax Square - employ an accountant. Can't afford it? Stop paying for reviews and facebook likes. Now you can afford it.
Paying Wages - Well if they employed people the phones may get answered so no wages to worry about
Answering emails - Easy to do
Answering the phone - Easy to do
Dealing with suppliers - Why is this difficult
Dealing with couriers - But Ben doesn't deal with couriers, if something goes wrong the customer has to deal with that.
Dealing with customers - They don't seem to do that although this should be the first priority.
Dealing with Forums - Get the point above right and you won't have to deal with forums.
VAT - 5 minute job with any decent accounting package, plus you have an accountant right?
Import Duty - Customers problem according to Ben website

I've no idea about running an importing company or a shop so lets get that straight first but as for running a successful company I know how it works and what cost the most money (which is generally the owners time). My company is in the drilling industry (SW Directional Drilling Ltd, if anyone is interested) so I can only really comment on what we have to do and what I would expect.

People want to better themselves and reap the rewards of owning their own company, in order to do that you have to start somewhere. If an importer (which he seems to be) started off with a legal team, an accountant, web developers, a load of staff, a uk address then he would likely go bust, it's that simple. In order to start off you basically start on your own or with a partner and you handle EVERYTHING yourself, which I imagine is pretty difficult in an unfamiliar country.

Accountants are expensive, very expensive, we turned over approx 90k a month last year, bought a machine for 500k (among other things) and a building for 150k whilst employing 7 staff, so you could say I know what I'm talking about with regards to what things cost. We only use an accountant for the end of year or other things that we are incapable of doing ourselves (which works out far cheaper). I don't agree with the Facebook "likes" paid or not as it would never work for my company, but it is cheap effective marketing (in some cases). Ad-Words works best for us.
VAT is not a 5 minute job, which leads me to believe you have never done it or used an accounts package like sage etc. It's actually far, far quicker to do it with EXCEL but still takes a good two days to do it every 3 month, for us that's only dealing with approx 300 receipts for purchases and approx 10-20 invoices which we have submitted. Most time is taken up with missing receipts, expenses, incorrectly paid invoices, varying VAT rates and the like. A book-keeper can do this cheaper than an accountant but they tend to not have the slightest idea about what your company does and have no interest in your company claiming back as much VAT as possible, which ends up costing more than using an accountant.
E-mails is easy, but try responding to 20 a day when each one takes 10-30 mins to compose.
Phone is also easy, unless 4/5 calls are someone trying to sell you fuel cards, web development, SEO, work wear etc
Suppliers - they get orders wrong, things get lost, held up, need to be collected, delivered to the wrong place
Couriers - We don't use these often but when they pick things up from us they usually get something wrong which results in the loss of 30 mins of my time
Customers - I only have about 20 jobs to look after at any one time and it's difficult enough keeping them happy, I imagine they have a lot more, which with limited staff is not easy.
Forums - This doesn't effect my company as we have a great reputation and are in an extremely niche industry, but for a internet based shop this is crucial I imagine.
Import duty/ tax - It's up to them if they want to leave this to the client, as long as they make it clear which way they are doing it I have no problem. We buy drilling gear from the US and if we get nailed for the duty we pay it, if they add VAT on top we claim it back. If they are cheap and people wan't to roll the dice on the tax then let them do it.

As far as the law goes they're probably just learning as they go along which is how most do it in that industry, I'm not saying that's the right way and if they do it wrong they will likely be punished. My company is still learning now even after 8 years, but as I don't have a law degree I would expect it this way.

One key thing your missing which is more important than anything is time, it's hard fitting everything in unless you have load of staff to hand things over to. If you have loads of staff you have to pay them, margins become tighter so you charge more and clear more stock. Next thing your Jessops and look what happened there.

If you want a response in 5 minutes and pay 30% higher prices and have everything that goes with that then go to Amazon, if you can afford to wait and be messed about a bit to save 30% then take the chance with a HK importer.

I'm not defending them (tip top) as I don't have a clue about them, I'm just defending small companies and not thinking the worst for every possible scenario. Saying that, I didn't want to take the chance with a HK importer (for my 6D purchase) who I didn't know (tax and customs etc) but a friend recommended Kerso so I did that instead, which is probably something in the middle of the two with a good reputation.

Last edited:
Seeing as this thread is all about the reputation of TipTop I would have thought the owner(s) would be falling over themselves to make sure you their best service possible. Would be foolish if he didn't.

You would think so, a thread like this could kill their company quite easily! I'd be on here all day if it was about my company!

Me, and I would would also be mortified if my business had so much bad press. The difference is that I don't have bad press because:
  • I answer my phone
  • I reply to emails and Facebook posts and tweets
  • My terms and conditions comply with all UK / EU law.
  • I actively ask for every customer for a review which are posted on an independent website, TrustPilot.
  • I have no need to employ a company to spam review sites with good reviews to cover up bad ones.
  • I have no need to spend my days getting bad reviews removed from review sites / forums etc.
  • All of my products are in stock (unless otherwise stated), in the UK.
  • If you want it next day and as long as it's "In stock" then no problem, you'll have it the next day.
  • The price you see is the price you pay.
Hehehehehe. I would not disagree with any of what you have said here but I would go back and review your comments about your customers on page 2 of this thread. :D Your customers put the bread on the table even if they do not open the box at the right end! :D

Last edited:
You would think so, a thread like this could kill their company quite easily! I'd be on here all day if it was about my company!

Exactly. And welcome to the forums Wev.

I'm shocked at how many new members this thread has attracted the forums.

patriotspyke said:
I also run a small/ medium sized company myself so know how much a of a difficult situation "Ben" may be in trying to prove himself (and get all other crap sorted whilst trying to pay his own wages) when it seems the world is against him. I'll look forward to a few other members on here posting if/when they get their goods, everybody wants everything cheaper so we should stay a bit open minded (for the time being) imo..

Folk are forgetting that the UK is not the starting point, he/they have been in 'business' down under and generating more than their share of bad reviews there too for some time.

TT have only to do it right here ref the website and the poor customer response. If he/they spent as much time sorting that stuff out as he/they do pretending to be happy customers or hiring shil posters there would be no need for any of these shenanigans and the business would take off.

Chris, you said "... and didn't want to run the gauntlet with Digital Rev if there was VAT and import duty on top."

On titpots site;

VAT + SHIPPING CHARGES :

All items purchased and shipped within UK include VAT and a VAT receipt will be provided at point of sale.
Some items shipped from outside the UK into the UK may be subject a small duty fee on entry at customs.

Seeing as `stock` in the UK will be very limited, to say the least & you don't know it's source, other than one of their `warehouses` lol, how do you know when placing the order whether you will have to pay VAT/duty? Don't forget YOU are the importer, not them!

So what is the difference? Will you be paying VAT with titop? (can you reclaim it through your business if you do?)

Last edited:

Sandy, it isn't a case of anyone clearly making up their mind about him (although you obviously made up your mind & decided to take the risk) the whole thread is about the shoddy T&C's which sounded alarm bells & tbh reading other reviews about titop & I certainly wouldn't risk it even with a co.UK addy.

If it was purely a financial decision (which I'm not knocking btw) you saved about £50 even from DR, BUT you could have bought from other Hong Kong sellers for around £550 saving even more money?
eg; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamron-SP...geo=1&clk_rvr_id=576271063303&vectorid=229508

Did you pay the extra `insurance` in case it gets damaged in transit? Also presumably you didn't pay by credit card?

Genuinely hope everything goes well for you though. :cool:

Last edited:
Folk are forgetting that the UK is not the starting point, he/they have been in 'business' down under and generating more than their share of bad reviews there too for some time.

TT have only to do it right here ref the website and the poor customer response. If he/they spent as much time sorting that stuff out as he/they do pretending to be happy customers or hiring shil posters there would be no need for any of these shenanigans and the business would take off.

This.

They have an office in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, India ( according to Ben) and they have loads of happy customers. Well this is what they would have you believe anyway.

Hardly a poor startup, and with operations in so many countries you'd think they would know where to find the relevant trading laws.

HDEW also do some good prices. Goods may be imported but they are shipped to you from their UK warehouse so you don't have to worry about import taxes. They also provide a VAT invoice.

Last edited:
Chris, you said "... and didn't want to run the gauntlet with Digital Rev if there was VAT and import duty on top."

On titpots site;

VAT + SHIPPING CHARGES :

All items purchased and shipped within UK include VAT and a VAT receipt will be provided at point of sale.
Some items shipped from outside the UK into the UK may be subject a small duty fee on entry at customs.

Seeing as `stock` in the UK will be very limited, to say the least & you don't know it's source, other than one of their `warehouses` lol, how do you know when placing the order whether you will have to pay VAT/duty? Don't forget YOU are the importer, not them!

So what is the difference? Will you be paying VAT with titop? (can you reclaim it through your business if you do?)

Sorry if I've not made myself clear, I've not purchased anything from "tiptop" or Digital rev as the risk of import duty and VAT for me is too high and not been proven with "tiptop". As far as digital rev goes you know you're going to get your gear (and good service from what I hear) but might be liable for VAT and import duty (if it gets picked up) but I think their prices are higher than the potential "tiptop" lottery.

With regards to the VAT if I put it through the company we can claim that back, and possibly the import duty too. The 6D I'm getting from Kerso in the states (Scotland) is 70% personal use and 30% work so I'm undecided as yet which way I pay for it.

Incidentally the 6D I'm getting should pan out like this:

FlashCamera: £1050 and from a reliable source (from what I've heard), certainly with no charges on top, uk service available and ok with Canon etc
DigitalRev: £1050 but could be liable for VAT and Import duty - so could end up £1340?
TipTop: £995 but could get delayed and as it's proabbly coming from HK which could lead to later import duty or VAT issues (not seen much proof that it's covered) - so could end up £1380?

My UK option would have been Clifton Camera's who I bought my Canon 70-200 f/2.8L II from, mainly due to the 0% finance and me being skint before Christmas

Last edited:
Exactly. And welcome to the forums Wev.

I'm shocked at how many new members this thread has attracted the forums.

I'll explain how I landed here (I'm here to stay now by the way, lol):

I've only had a DSLR (60D) for a year and just been learning the ropes so to speak but the upgrade to FF has led to a lot of research as you would expect, trying to get the best price with least risk. Forums are the best place for company research imo, a few solid opinions of good trading from guy's who post hundreds and thousands of replies is worth a lot more compared to the review sites which are potentially paid reviews (as mentioned in other posts in this thread in great detail). As tiptop were an option I considered, as they have prices which appear cheap the research landed me here last week but to be honest after reading this thread I would only do cash on collection the way things stand with them, as I wouldn't want the 28% import cost risk and potential delays.

Hey folks,

I'm new around here, and if you look at my profile you'll see I haven't posted much, but I'm here for the photography forums and thought I would also share my experience with these guys.

I'm from New Zealand, and as most of you know tiptop have been operating down here for a while. Here they have tiptopelectronics.co.nz and another website called topendelectronics.co.nz which are both owned by them as someone pointed out earlier. I have recently been looking at buying a new ultrabook (or rather my dad and grandmother were getting me a gift, but I was doing the research), and had done heaps of research before finding Top End who had the asus zenbook infinity for $2879. I looked a little harder and found TipTop who had it for $2739. And importing ourselves from amazon or something was going to be approx $2800 or so, so TipTop was looking good.

My dad decided to place an order with them, but found when he went to check out that they had a $55 shipping fee. If you know how big NZ is you'll know that that's a ridiculous price for shipping, but at that stage we didn't know they were grey importers. They also had an $82 paypal fee to pay by credit card, and bank deposit was the only other option. My dad placed the order but before paying by bank deposit, decided to contact them to query the extra charges. The tiptop NZ website has no contact phone number, only email so he sent an email last Friday.

Finally heard back Tuesday that it was coming from overseas hence the shipping, but no response about the Paypal fee. During that time I found this thread and discovered that Top End was owned by the same company. Now Tip Top has an average website where the T&Cs page goes straight to a 404, as well as the FAQs page (one red flag), but top end have the UK version of tip top's excellent customer service spiel. And they offer free shipping.

So after reading this thread I told my dad to hold off and I decided to do some more research. I sent tip top an email asking where their good ship from and how long it takes. They replied and told me they ship from NZ and take about a week from payment - a slight omission about the bit where they come from overseas first (another red flag). I then found that top end do a price match service that says "We will match the price and get back the difference" whatever that means, so I email them to ask if they'll price match tip top with a link to the product page, because then I could get my ultrabook at $2739 plus skip the shipping charge, yay!

THEN, and this is the clincher, I get an email back from Top End saying "Yes, we will price match any NZ website. But if you look at Tip Top you will see that their price is actually $2825. If you are happy with that we will do it for that price" And this was from Drew/Dhruv. So after I send a price match request they go and log into tip top, change the price up $100, and then offer to match the higher one. And no indication of what "and get back the difference" means.

At this stage, after reading everything in this thread and another Australian one, I decided that things weren't looking rosy. My dad of course still had the order confirmation from tip top for $2739 so he rang up Top End to ask them if they had the laptop in stock in NZ, and was told by the guy that he wasn't the product manager for that computer so someone else would call him back shortly. I spoke to dad after that and said that we could maybe risk it if they have it in stock in NZ AND agree to price match $2739, but they never called back.

After an hour or so I had reflected enough on it to decide that I didn't want to give money to any business that was corrupt enough to use two websites to manipulate a customer and avoid keeping their own promises and slack enough to not call back. So we went ahead and got it from amazon. I think we would have got the computer eventually, but they were so hard to contact and it was an expensive item so I didn't want to risk damage in the post or delays and such.

I only post this here because I think if Ben is really trying to distance himself from Drew and the operations down under, then he would almost be better to get a new business name or demand that Drew stop being so dodgy in his dealings if he is managing things down under. As you can see from the attached image, Drew still very much associates himself with Tip Top UK, which suggests Ben might be all talk on that front.

1482855_10151939542042476_1250305275_n.jpg

Hope that helps someone to decide whether or not to take the plunge or whether they want to support it. Sorry for the long post!

Hannah

I would think you would have to be crazy to order off a company like this now after reading through all this thread, far too many bad experiences and dodgy goings on, I'm all for saving money but I would definitely pay 20% more for an item and get a good service than try and save money.

I don't want to drag the discussion off topic - as if there were much chance of that happening - but this deserves a response:
With regards to the VAT if I put it through the company we can claim that back, and possibly the import duty too. The 6D I'm getting from Kerso in the states (Scotland) is 70% personal use and 30% work so I'm undecided as yet which way I pay for it.
Firstly, if it's 30% for business use then you can reclaim 30% of the VAT.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/reclaiming/private-use.htm
There's no import duty on camera bodies (though there is on lenses).

Secondly, if you run your own business you'd be mad to do, or be party to, an illegal import. "Illegal" might seem a harsh word, but that's what buying stuff without paying VAT is, regardless of any guff Kerso might give you about having some clever wheeze. If your business ever comes into HMRC's view for whatever reason, a decision like this could cost you big time.

Hello Everyone! Remember me?

Quick update for you! This morning I received an order confirmation containing a tracking number through UKmail. According to the website, upon receipt of this email it usually means that it'll be delivered within 1 working day.

I headed over to the UKmail website, which states that my package from TIPTOP is out for delivery today (today being day 9 of "7 to 10 working days"). So it's looking good for me at the moment.

I'll post back when the parcel arrives, hopefully this evening!

Regards,
Gareth.

I don't want to drag the discussion off topic - as if there were much chance of that happening - but this deserves a response:Firstly, if it's 30% for business use then you can reclaim 30% of the VAT.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/reclaiming/private-use.htm
There's no import duty on camera bodies (though there is on lenses).

Secondly, if you run your own business you'd be mad to do, or be party to, an illegal import. "Illegal" might seem a harsh word, but that's what buying stuff without paying VAT is, regardless of any guff Kerso might give you about having some clever wheeze. If your business ever comes into HMRC's view for whatever reason, a decision like this could cost you big time.

For a lot of things if it's from the UK and anything to do with the company I would put it through the company, basically how anyone else would do it. I think you misunderstood me regarding the VAT, I wouldn't be trying to claim any VAT back on an item that didn't have VAT applied. I'll ignore the import duty as like you say it doesn't apply to some items (I'm not sure which).

Example based on £1050 cost delivered to door:

1) If I don't get a receipt for £875 + £175 vat then I won't be claiming back the VAT and putting it through the company and I'll put it through my own account, which is the most likely scenario.
2) If 20% VAT got applied on my purchase by customs (which I hear is unlikely) then I would put it through the company and claim it back, so still paying £1050 effectively

With scenario 1 there is an element of deniability as my goods are in my eyes coming from the uk with a uk receipt and just probably not showing VAT, like PC World don't when you buy a Laptop (and we still claim VAT back on that). I'm also technically not the importer as my item is going US>Scotland and then I'm paying Scotland, what they do before that is up to them and I'm happy with that. If I later get pinged for VAT a year down the line when I'm carrying it after a holiday then I'll just make it a company purchase and claim it back.

You didn't mention this but there are various reasons why I don't want to just buy from the UK and then claim the VAT back on every item. This is mainly down to I don't want 1,000's of pounds going backwards and forwards from mine and the company account and this way also works out cheaper under any circumstance.

Nobody could deny I'm using it for the company as I run the website and take the photos etc (some of the the photos on our website were taken with my gf's 1100D before I got my 60D and I didn't have a clue back then).

I can understand why many people don't import, but that's each to their own.

On another note irrelevant to the VAT and before I looked into it all I looked at a used one last week through Gumtree as it was local, and I'm impatient. The guy wanted £1,100 initially and included a £50 grip something else I can't remember, think it was a 32gb SD, described it as immaculate with 6,000 actuations and 8 month old. I got him down to £1,050 and then £1,000 when I heard it was an import. When I got there I noticed that three or four of the outside Autofocus points (not the centre cross type one) red lights where cracked or half illuminated, which rang a warning bell but never effected the picture. I said £950 in light of this fault and he said no. I'm glad he didn't say yes as looking back I shouldn't have been offering more than £750 given the prices that I've seen for HK imports.

I felt sorry for the lad actually (he had his wife and kids with him as well), as he said he never noticed the fault and looked genuine and just used the centre cross type point (as most would probably do with this camera), his face dropped when I pointed the fault out but was still confident he'd get his £1,050!

Well Well!! Look whats arrived!

Within time, no extra payments, tracking number...As you'll see in the pictures, it's defiantly been imported (language and charger) but I'm really, really pleased with the result. Camera and lens work perfectly, all packaged up and protected.

There was no receipt in the box, all it got were email confirmations etc. Happy ending for me! I'd say go for it people. I care not about import, VAT issues etc. I paid my money and got what I wanted in the time quoted.

Thanks everyone!

IMG_0495_zps68af92e9.jpg

IMG_0498_zps6228a800.jpg

IMG_0497_zps17751dfb.jpg

IMG_0496_zps10b20919.jpg

That's great Gareth, but it would be interesting to know what would happen if it got lost in the post.

The terms and conditions you agreed to suggest tough luck for you.

Glad you got your goods, Gareth.

Is there a 3-pin plug for the charger?

ecoleman, the process they state on the website outlines that if you choose the Option 1 Delivery, the goods will imported into their warehouse (if not there already) and will then be shipped onwards to me (the second part of the process is where I got my tracking number), so seems unlikely I'll be left in the cold. It is the sellers responsibility to get the goods to me, and remains so until I've signed for receipt of it. If it never arrived, then I would of reversed the payment on PayPal in the dispute centre (that is what it is there for). It's all irrelevant anyway as the camera is currently sat next to me. Maybe it's time to cut this guy and his company some slack.

OldCarlos, no there is no 3 pin plug (I admit that I had thought of this). Lucky I have an adapter so it's not a problem, but maybe it would be a nice touch for TipTop to include one or outline that you may need one.

Anyway, that's all I've got to add to this forum, I hope my experiance helps others influence their decisions.

Long story short: It's my hard earned money, I can move it into any account I choose. I spotted a deal, paid the money and got the goods with no fuss.

To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

Regards,
Gareth.

Last edited:
Maybe it's time to cut this guy and his company some slack.

He has been caught red handed paying people to write fake reviews - personally I think that is an unethical way to run a business to say the least and therefore would not purchase from them on principle - as I would with any other company who did the same thing (provided I knew about it obviously). It is however, as you rightly point out your money and you can give your business to anyone you choose as can anyone else. Enjoy your 60D - very nice camera (don't have one myself but a few friends do).

ecoleman, the process they state on the website outlines that if you choose the Option 1 Delivery, the goods will imported into their warehouse (if not there already) and will then be shipped onwards to me (the second part of the process is where I got my tracking number), so seems unlikely I'll be left in the cold. It is the sellers responsibility to get the goods to me, and remains so until I've signed for receipt of it. If it never arrived, then I would of reversed the payment on PayPal in the dispute centre (that is what it is there for). It's all irrelevant anyway as the camera is currently sat next to me. Maybe it's time to cut this guy and his company some slack.

OldCarlos, no there is no 3 pin plug (I admit that I had thought of this). Lucky I have an adapter so it's not a problem, but maybe it would be a nice touch for TipTop to include one or outline that you may need one.

Anyway, that's all I've got to add to this forum, I hope my experiance helps others influence their decisions.

Long story short: It's my hard earned money, I can move it into any account I choose. I spotted a deal, paid the money and got the goods with no fuss.

To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

Regards,
Gareth.

Glad it worked out well for you.

Don't forget to sent HMRC the import VAT due.

I take it you can change that menu language and it's not stuck in Japanese as some Panasonics seem to be when imported and unable to change without a complete firmware change:)

Surely the VAT invoice that Kerso supplies would satisfy the VATMan?

Surely the VAT invoice that Kerso supplies would satisfy the VATMan?
At the risk of stating the bleeding' obvious: if Flash Camera is registered for VAT and supplies VAT invoices then that would satisfy the VAT man.

Last time I asked Ian Kerr about VAT, he insisted quite aggressively that everything he did was totally legitimate. But he said he didn't have the time or the inclination to explain to me how and why it was legitimate. (Maybe he doesn't want the likes of Amazon and co discovering this amazing loophole in the UK tax laws that only he has managed to identify?) He also didn't provide the one tiny bit of evidence which would seal the deal, namely a VAT number.

Maybe things have moved on since then, but I note that his web site still doesn't display a VAT number, which is in contravention of the E-Commerce Regulations if he is VAT-registered.

Of course none of this is conclusive proof of anything. But I'm a big believer in Occam's Razor.

Lets not start the vat/import duty argument on this thread, let's keep it on topic TT bashing ;)

He also didn't provide the one tiny bit of evidence which would seal the deal, namely a VAT number.
Hmm, it's been many years since I bought from Ian, but I thought my invoice did include a VAT number. Perhaps things have changed (or my memory is letting me down, again).

Regards,
Gareth.

I thought it was illegal to supply or distribute electrical goods in the UK without a fixed 3-pin plug & correct fuse?

Maybe the local Trading Standards & HSE would be interested?

I thought it was illegal to supply or distribute electrical goods in the UK without a fixed 3-pin plug & correct fuse?

I can't imagine so, I've bought loads of things from major suppliers that come with a European/ American plugs, a lot of them came with adapters but certainly were not fixed.

Stewart, in that link it says; ` 12. (1) Subject to the following provisions of this regulation, no person shall supply, offer for supply, agree to supply, expose for supply or possess for supply any appliance unless that appliance is correctly fitted with a standard plug` http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/1768/regulation/12/made

In another section 12 (2) (b) it says; `...fitted with a conversion plug which complies with the requirements of paragraph (3) below and which encloses the fitted non–UK plug and can only be removed by the use of a tool.`

????? :confused:

lol Elliott.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back