To Raw or not to Raw

Depends what I am doing, family days out etc I trend to use JPEG, but this depends on the say out and what we are doing, most other things raw.

I actually think it is more important to shoot raw as beginner than a more experienced photographer,(and I am talking amateur, not some one making money here) as the beginner is more likely to make mistakes than the more experienced photographer, thus in raw you will soon have more keepers than binned shots due to basic errors, you can also see the difference wb can and does make,and recover exposure from where you don't understand metering and the way light can fool the meter.

My wife always shorts JPEG a she doesn't have the time to process all the images she takes of the kids, a she says she takes snaps, where as I take photos, she also said that I look at all the technical aspectsand she just clicks, does she get better photos than me, yes and no, I some times miss photos she gets a she clicks and I look at setting up the shot.

Rankbadyin.

Every photo you look at is processed, yours mine everyones, film prints probably far more than a lot of digital ones, dodging burning, masks, grade make type of paper they were printed on, what film was used, what developer was used, the list is truly endless, from before the shutter is pressed to the finished print.I used to love wet printing and touching up prints, now that is an art.

So to summarise, yes shoot raw, see the difference it can and will make to shots then decide, I am sure you will be like must photographers and use it when you deem necessary.

Time to say tartar to this thread then!

:D

Now I've had time to ketchup, I see it was another thread.

On the subject of files (as opposed to mince), I go for the RAW option where possible i.e. with the 30D when I don't need the burst performance of shooting JPEG.

The 1D2 shoots the same 8.5 FPS in both RAW and JPEG so it's always set to RAW.

Back