Trail cams with remote access....

Not sure what this entails ...?

What service plans are available with the ZEISS Secacam?​

Zeiss offers a variety of monthly service plans with smart features, so you can get the most out of your camera.

• Basic Plan: Includes 100 photos per month, 2 months storage time, and remote control.
  • Premium Plan: Includes 750 photos, 6 months storage time, remote control, video transmission, 25 video transmissions, and animal recognition.
  • Professional Plan: Includes unlimited photos, 12 months storage time, remote control, video transmission, 50 video transmissions, animal recognition, and theft replacement.
You can also opt to use a flexible Prepaid Plan by purchasing credits that can be used at a later date, where One credit = One photo, and Four Credits = One 10-second video.

... and not much info on video!

Not sure what this entails ...?

... and not much info on video!
I agree...more reading and perhaps questions to be asked of them for clarity and insight :thinking: but I like the concept even if I was using it in the garden as my current one has had limited use because of the getting down to remove the SD let alone the batteries!

I do wonder what sets the Zeiss versions apart from the plethora of other 4g LTE trail cams that are about, especially going on only the limited tech specs they have published. The data plans seem comparable(ish) in price and allowances but the 5MP seems under powered compared to what others are claiming.

Not a trail cam but I did setup a friends solar powered 4g cctv camera a couple years ago that uses any pre paid sim so he wasn't restricted to the camera makers network plans/ limits. I seem to recall that one 'claimed' to have 36MP stills and 1080p video and I wasn't overly blown away by the quality of either when looking at them on a PC. I also realise MP isn't the best gauge by which to judge a camera.

I'm guessing the Zeiss will have an advantage in its optics rather than the sensor(although maybe both) but it would be interesting to see side by side comparisons with a similarly spec'd non name branded one/s. If the Zeiss is actually capable of the sample images they have in the brochure in real world conditions I would be seriously amazed/ impressed.

I do wonder what sets the Zeiss versions apart from the plethora of other 4g LTE trail cams that are about, especially going on only the limited tech specs they have published. The data plans seem comparable(ish) in price and allowances but the 5MP seems under powered compared to what others are claiming.

Not a trail cam but I did setup a friends solar powered 4g cctv camera a couple years ago that uses any pre paid sim so he wasn't restricted to the camera makers network plans/ limits. I seem to recall that one 'claimed' to have 36MP stills and 1080p video and I wasn't overly blown away by the quality of either when looking at them on a PC. I also realise MP isn't the best gauge by which to judge a camera.

I'm guessing the Zeiss will have an advantage in its optics rather than the sensor(although maybe both) but it would be interesting to see side by side comparisons with a similarly spec'd non name branded one/s. If the Zeiss is actually capable of the sample images they have in the brochure in real world conditions I would be seriously amazed/ impressed.
The Zeiss one is the first such 4g connected trail cam I came across.

I wonder if anyone here @TP already use that type of trail camera???

Quality is as good as I expected, it’s 10 mile away and the photo is on my phone within seconds of it being triggered. It’s currently watching for barn owls and I’ll post some footage when I fetch it back. The Zeiss app is very easy to use and all the settings can be altered at home and sent to the camera. It currently comes with 3 months of free data and after this I’ll see how much I’ve used and decide on what package to get. I got the camera at a great discounted price on Boxing Day, it’s gone back up now.

Does that mean it doesn't come to your phone remotely?
No it comes straight away but in reduced size ( video) However it records the full quality in the sd card. The manual is online, it explains it better than I probably can.

No it comes straight away but in reduced size ( video) However it records the full quality in the sd card. The manual is online, it explains it better than I probably can.
Thanks for the added usage insights.

As you have received the still images, are there any that you can share share at this stage?

Thanks for the added usage insights.

As you have received the still images, are there any that you can share share at this stage?
Sorry I can't share any from this site I'm currently monitoring, land owners stipulation. Any other questions I'm happy to help.

Sorry I can't share any from this site I'm currently monitoring, land owners stipulation. Any other questions I'm happy to help.
Ah! understood.... Hope the monitoring goes well and there is/will be a healthy Barn Owl presence.

Ah! understood.... Hope the monitoring goes well and there is/will be a healthy Barn Owl presence.
Thanks. It’s set up to see if a male owl returns. It’s the 3rd oldest owl that’s recorded every year and has used this barn exclusively. It’s easy to recognise due to a scar, however it’s not been seen for a while.

I note that LCE have them on discount until the 11th January

Model 5 @ £199 (£20 off)
Model 7 @ £219 (£30 off)

If I can find some example images+ video to convince me I could be tempted???

@silure130 you mentioned returning to collect/change the SD card ....what about the batteries, how long do they last and which batteries are you using?

The batteries come with it, 8 x AA rechargeables. You need your own battery charger thou. It also includes a 32 GB card.

Ive had my camera out now for 4 nights and it’s still showing fully charged. I have it set on 24 hour monitoring and have received about 10 videos today, mainly a pigeon but also 2 owls. Video size is limited when sent via 4G, but full size on the SD card when downloaded to pc.

Id like to post examples but there are 3 types of owls that visit this site and we keep it quiet.

The batteries come with it, 8 x AA rechargeables. You need your own battery charger thou. It also includes a 32 GB card.

Ive had my camera out now for 4 nights and it’s still showing fully charged. I have it set on 24 hour monitoring and have received about 10 videos today, mainly a pigeon but also 2 owls. Video size is limited when sent via 4G, but full size on the SD card when downloaded to pc.

Id like to post examples but there are 3 types of owls that visit this site and we keep it quiet.
Thanks for the info & insights :)

Sounds like it is/can be frugal on battery usage compared to using non rechargeable AA's.

The interface GUI on the app seems quite informative if it includes the battery state:)

This sale offer arrived in my inbox today, which may be of interest. Please buy through the link from this thread or in the Supporters thread, so that we can get a referral commission, if you decide it's a good option.

Back