Tripod help. Please

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
hi i was wondering if anyone could recomend a decent tripod for a round £60

i have been looking at places like www.premier-ink.co.uk and jessops but im not sure what im ment to be looking for in the sence of the gadgets they have

idealy the tripod would be use for landscapes so would need a bag or strap so i can carry it about and im not to bothered about the weight.:p

Hi, if it is just for a bridge or smallish SLR I would go for a Manfrotto 785b - don't think you will get anything better for around £50:)

Ask that question in here and you get a Greek chorus recommending RedSnapper :D

You get a discount when ordering if you are a member here...

B.

Oh and I would recommend Red Snapper too:LOL: they have an offer on at the moment which seems to be very good - I'm sure someone on here will comment saying they have one....

wicked do you just quote talk photography when you buy?
Just mention you are a member... "Hi I saw your thread on Talk Photography..." I actually didn't mention the discount and Joe said something like "You will be wanting your TP discount" :) actually I would have paid the full price, after all the man is running a business.

Oh, and the tripod is excellent. Comes with a bag.

B.

Yea poor man pays twice and all that. I have the manfroto and it struggles to support my d90 with anything more than an 18-55. a good tripod but I will be upgrading it.

Actually I am doing it a disservice, it does hold my camera with a 70-300 but it's finnicky adjustment doesn't make it easy when trying macro. For landscape it may just do the job as you can take your time to get it right.

Redsnapper handsdown, quality piece of kit and joe's a top bloke too, ive got the tri-283 with ballhead...... you wont be dissapointed(y)(y)

think about weight, if you are going to walk a lot a Lightweight is must.

I have a
Manfrotto 2kg with head
and a Velbom less than 1kg all in

last time I went to Rome, If I would taked the manfrotto instead of the velbom I think I would taked 1/3 less pictures.

weight will kill your pictures because you are going to be more exhaust and tired.

but at home when I take studio shots I think is too dangerous the velbom ( I feel my dog tail will hit it and throw it in the floor)

yes red snapper

just got mine to day

RS-284 and RSH-12 Ball Head (10% discount TP member)
build is great and comes with a carring bag

thumbs up to red snapper

alan

That only has a 1kg load limit :wacky: why make a tripod so lightweight?

Wouldn't have expected that was enough for most DSLR's with a kit lens, let alone something like a 10-20 or 24-70

I had one and took it back when I found that I could move the end of my 55-200 by about 5mm with everthing locked down. Loads of play in the quick mount. May have been a bad one, but it put me off. Bought a <drumroll> Redsnapper in the end.

Word of warning about the Manfrotto 785 B.
The head is made of plastic. I had one and a bit of the plastic broke off. Nearly dropped my camera into Whitby Harbour.

I got one of these instead http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-velbon-ultra-maxi-m-tripod.htm

Not the sturdiest for heavy kit, but really compact and lightweight for travelling. It's been around the world with me with no problems.

I spent quite a lot of time thinking about which tripod to buy. I was fortunate to go out with some people using the Manfrotto 055 range with a ball head. I looked seriously at what photography I was doing and what I planned to do...

I finally decided on the Manfrotto 190XPROB with 804RC2 Head and although a substantial investment, it was definitely the right choice. It is really adjustable but also very controllable for macro and landscape (my 2 favourite disciplines). The centre pole being removeable is really helpful - now further down the line i am thinking of investing in the clamp that means you can set up the centre pole inside the house without having to set your entire tripod....

My advice is my personal mantra when purchasing any equipment - try to future proof it as much as possible. In my opinion if i look after this tripod it should see me clear for 20 years, certainly better than making a £60 investment every couple of years...

I hope this helps...

Back