Turbo Weasels 52 for 2011 - Week 8 - Chaos

JI like the details on the bronze gun, but I feel like I'm missing out on the rest of the image with the tight crop. It feels slightly out of context as it is. The bokeh is nice though, and I think that suits it well :)

Unfortunately including the whole gun makes the dragon insignificant in the image.

5383823350_16d43d47f8.jpg

Last edited:
Great choice for style - really like the colour and the detail. You are right - the effect is lost with the shot of the whole gun.

5401623144_98722ff43f_b.jpg

I had a couple of ideas, but they didn't work. I had thought of 'opening a can of worms'. My wife came up with the idea of using mealworms (she feeds the birds with them!).

This my first proper attempt at this type of shot, quite pleased with the result.

Great take on the idea, although a little gross! Did you make the can or can you really buy tins of worms?

Lighting looks good but composition... I might have been inclined to shoot straight into the can, or stand it up and have the worms spilling out.

Spooks

Hehe thats a great idea! Much as it is pretty disgusting I like it - particularly the tin! (y)

I LOVE your take on open!! I don't think it disgusting at all. Brilliant idea.

I feel it is a little harshly lit which is emphasised by the background as it seems, white? Or is it that you have not dialed in the white balance?

Liking your work though, (y) keep it up

Love the stylish dragons, such a gorgeous colour. Yes, in hindsight it would have been nice to see the one framed through the other.

Can of worms, just plain Yuk :LOL:

Hehe thats a great idea! Much as it is pretty disgusting I like it - particularly the tin! (y)

Thanks(y)

I LOVE your take on open!! I don't think it disgusting at all. Brilliant idea.

I feel it is a little harshly lit which is emphasised by the background as it seems, white? Or is it that you have not dialed in the white balance?

Liking your work though, (y) keep it up

I did set the white balance in PSE. I think I have overdone it in levels, which has made the white background a little too white. Need more practice with PSE :thinking:

Love the stylish dragons, such a gorgeous colour. Yes, in hindsight it would have been nice to see the one framed through the other.

Can of worms, just plain Yuk :LOL:

I may go back and have another go at the dragons.
The worms are not the most popular :LOL:

Photogenically a great shot of the worms BUT ......YUK!!!!!!!!:LOL:

Hiya Ian,

Doing a quick catch-up of the Photo52 members I haven't got round to viewing yet, so apologies for the delay.

Week 1: Agree with the comments on the first image, but as you have posted edit I'll comment on this one. I like the way the crop has brought out the different shades of green (one of my fav colours). Good interpretation of the theme too.

Week 2: Oh so that is where they have hidden my wheels :LOL: Love the colours, although agree with the comments about a portrait shot as I think the window would have framed the subject nicely. Only nit-pick for me is the bit of paper on the floor infront of the car.

Week 3: I like the aged bronze and the detail of the dragon. Also like the bit of commentary you gave to the image. It is always interesting to read the history behind such a subject. I can see you were going for the detail of the dragon for the image, which is good, but think that the full image also represents style, i.e., a style of gun. Well done.

Week 4: That is absolutely brilliant! I love the way you have put so much thought and effort into the shot, not forgetting to mention the creativity in making the tin. It just oozes 'open a can of worms', so well done on a fantastic shot. If I was a bird I would probably love this and see it as an advert for some tastey treats :D

Well done on a great start to your Photo52 and I look forward to seeing your other weeks.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

I have got a bit behind with this, so I am now playing catch up. Why am I busy on the nice days and only find time when the weather is rubbish :shrug:

Well here goes with 'Hard'. a drop of the hard stuff :).

5441279622_210f706fe2_b.jpg

I was given this bottle at Christmas. Love the shape of it. I wanted the reflection of the window as I feel it adds to the shape of the bottle. I had to clone my reflection out of the bottle - even though I had thought to put a black shirt on, my face was still visible :LOL: Resisted the temptation to adjust levels to make the background white.

Last edited:
Not very keen on this subject.

Ended up taking a picture of one of my desk draws. The one that ends up with all the chargers and leads etc that I need occasionally.

5441334192_b357f57c6c_b.jpg

Now to go off and think about this weeks! Hopefully come up with something better.

My wife was given a bunch of flowers as a thankyou for some knitting she had done. I managed to pinch one of the flowers :D.

5440824085_cfb00bfc07_b.jpg

Had to use a reflector to get a bit of light in the centre of the flower - first time I have tried that.

Hiya Ian,

Sorry I missed your last 3 weeks posts.

Week 5: Like your take on the theme 'hard stuff'. Love the shape of the bottle and the colours. I think you have done well re composition. Wasn't sure about the reflection at first, but can see where you are coming from about it adding to the shape.

Week 6: Indeed very cluttered! How do you manage to find anything in there? :LOL:

Week 7: Lovely colours, DOF and composition, although I think it would have benefitted from a bit more light on the centre of the flower.

Well done on getting up to date.

Cheers

Hi Ian

apologies for apparently missing your thread :crying:

Love your style shot ,great colors & DOF & the fact it's a bit abstract works really well (y)

Great take on open & your creativity at designing the label ,great focus & simple colors (y)

Thats a beautiful bottle of Cognac ,great clarity in the colors & focus spot on .The only niggle is the window reflection in it

Clutter : yup ,got one those drawers as well ! Everything in focus ,possibly a little light on the box dead centre at the bottom but thats only a minor niggle

Your flower does indeed look delicate...great color & focus & love the background not interfering with the flower (if that makes sense ?)

:clap:

Sorry I too missed the posts earlier.
I think you missed a trick with the background on the brandy bottle. A nice clean crisp white would make the bottle ZING!, and also maybe lose the bottle shadow bottom left. But overall, well executed.

Clutter, well, err, it certainly is LOL

The Flower, good use of a reflector, but I think the overall image is a little flat across the tonal range, and needs a bit of work in PS, just to lift the colours (only a very little bit) just slightly.

Rgds

Adie

Hi Ian, you've got some really nice pics there. (y)

Week 5 is a great pic and I think this is one of my favourites in your thread. I think the off-white background works well for this subject - pure white would probably look too clinical. The subtle colours of the cognac are wonderful. I also like the window reflection highlight.

Week 6 is very entertaining pic - I've got one or two drawers like that:LOL:
It's a great take on the theme "clutter". The light isn't great IMHO as the highlights are too bright and the shadow too dark. But a good pic all the same.

Week 7 is very nice. What beautiful colours. Your idea of using a reflector to get light into the middle has made a big difference - it might have been good to get even more light into the middle. The DOF is great - the blurred background is a calm colour and doesn't distract at all from the main subject.

Cheers, Patrick

Hi mate

Sorry like many others I've missed your 52 too!

I have to say I have loved most of your shots... maybe apart from the clutter one which is a theme I struggled on too... along with this weeks Week 7 theme... which I've still not shot!

Your Week 5 shot is Brill! I love the fact its raw and disgusting... makes it really arty and viewable!

Great work on all your shots but big WOW for week 5... maybe the best open shot of the lot!

Mark

Not a great shot. The light was poor, so ISO was wound up to 1000. Still only managed 1/80 sec @ f5.6 using my kit lens. Focus is a bit off as well. At least it keeps my 52 going :|

5479153862_bb8f4fe0fb_b.jpg

Hi, Ian, I think you did well in the circumstances and great catch for your 'chaos' theme.

Quite an anxious look on her face...!

Cheers.

I know how horses can be sometimes, my daughter rides. Like the expressions caoght on horse and riders faces, especially the eyes of the horse as it looks very stressed.

Nice capture considering the conditions as i bet you couldnt have used a flash that close to the horse.

Thanks for the comments, Matt & Andy.

Flash is not allowed. As you can see the horses do sometimes get spooked, so flash would be no good. The horse is only 10 months old and is quite new to showing. She gets a bit hyper when she has been in the ring - need to give her plenty of space. Owner (my sister) did get kicked, but nothing serious. Also had the peak on her hat broken. And they call this fun :wacky:

Hiya Ian,

Wow that is a good shot, even though a bit OOF as you say. The look in the horses eye and the look on your sister's face all say 'chaos'. Glad to hear your sister is okay and didn't sustain any serious injury.

Well done, on what must have been quite a frightening experience.

Cheers

Back