weekly Turninpoint - 52 in 2014

Hi Emily and welcome to the forum. You've really set yourself a challenge to catch up almost halfway through the year, but you've made a good start with a nice take on Sense. Good luck for the rest of the year (y)

Hi Emily & welcome to the madhouse :wave:

Sense....interesting & original take on the theme.......exposure looks good :)

Play.....ahhh...you've sussed uploading from Flickr...(y) Good DOF ,nice placement of the Doggy :)

Good start to your challenge , look forward to seeing some more from you :clap:

Hi Emily and welcome to a mammoth catch up, good look with that one! :p

Only joking :D.........as Susie said, just go with it from this theme and add any 'catch ups' you get chance to do :)

Like your 'play', suits the crop, dof good, (y).....for me ( and this is only my opinion/choice:)) the placement of the dog could do with a move .........:thinking:...... facing the way it is, I would have placed it somewhere just over/behind the 0 of the 20 on the left :)

Phil-D, thank you.
Yes I see what you mean about the dog placement. He started off on the left of picture but when cropped ended where he is.
Maybe a choice for re-shoot sometime!!

Hi Emily,
wow what a task, and you have made a great start:)
Sense.. a really good take on the theme.
Play line and linked.. all good images
steps, mono and twisted another 3 on theme images poor bird,
Number. love this one
strength.. well on theme and very strong, good image I like the pint of view taking in the lovely window
wild..a very wild little creature not sure what it is but well caught nice and sharpe
Reshoot week 3 yes I like this one much better

well done :clap::clap::clap:

Great job with the catch up, some great shots emerging (I like the linked picture) keep up the good work (y)

Hi, thats a lot of pics, "strength" "mono" and "steps"
steps is really nicely composed quite simple but it works for me
mono a very bedraggled looking bird, probably my favourite :clap:
the bug pic would have been better if you hadn't cut half of him out the pic

Welcome to week 52 some great images there, good luck with catching up your going at a great pace looking forward to seeing more

Welcome in Emily - Linked is the best of these for me, great colours and texture and viewpoint.

steps I like too, with the "nothing" in the sky leaving you nowhere to go but round the tower foloowing the steps.

mono could work but for the clipped foot on the bird.

redone bug is a MASSIVE improvement on the original cut in half one too! :)

(y)

HI Emily

bloomin 'eck.......:jawdrop:

My favorite shot & the one that caught my eye straight away..Steps.....love the angle, some good detail in there as well & a nice low POV leading your eye up & round...(y) Shame about the sky but hey , it is what is is sometimes .Still really like the shot

Mono , good choice of subject & well placed in the frame , mono really suits (y) Maybe a little lighter on the head ?

Twisted has good potential.....focus ( for me at least ) needs to be on the very front of the worm cast but again ,well placed in the frame & well exposed - a reflector may have helped to bounce some light in to the rhs to even the lighting a little

Strength...love the warm tones on the brickwork , placement again is good & the verticals look ,well , vertical to me :) Possibly a slight lighten on the anchor just to bring out some of the detail in the darker colors ?

Wild....lovely colors , the redone version is better , slightly missed focus or camera shake on the head.

Are you based on Anglesey or were you just visiting ?

Welcome to the mad house Emily

Sense - Good thinking for the theme. Definitely says sense to me

Play - Good positioning of the dog but I think it would be stronger if it was facing into the image

Texture - Not doing much for me I'm afraid. My a different background would have helped

Linear/Line - I feel a little dark but good for day 2 of having a camera

Linked - Hits the theme. i can;t decide on the inclusion of that little cloud though

Step - Another one that is on theme although the lighting is a little flat

Mono - Super shot. The little scruffy looking chicken facing into the negative space works really well

Twisted - Well spotted. the muted colours of this suit the image well

Number - As you say it is quite topical for the year. Just a touch of straighten required I feel

Strength/Strong - Looks like evening light which gives a nice tone to the bricks in the background

Wild - Maybe too close up shot of this little beastie

Reshoot - As I said above the dog would be better facing in and that's exactly what you've done. This is what reshoots are about in making a stronger image. Well done

Close - I thought you'd found a strange new creature at first LOL

Well done for entering so many in such a short time.

Last edited:
Wow! Favourites below in bold.

Sense - great idea and without having seen this, I was going to use a braille sign for texture but could find one where I would be able to get the lighting right. Nice!

Play - good fun shot, nice DOF choice. Lighting's very pleasing.

Texture - could be more "textural" for me, but the shot is well executed...

Line - again, a good technical shot but there's quite a bit going on behind the gate which I find a bit distracting

Linked - really like this one - clone out the spurious cloud / speck and it's perfect for me. Nice colour balance and DOF is effective

Step - Nice, but could be more perhaps with a broader crop so you get more of the curve? Sky could be more interesting, but then it's not supposed to be the subject!

Mono - good focus, would like a touch more room between the feet and frame edge otherwise placement is great!

Twisted - really like this!

Number - nice evocative subject and a great reminder that they were so much more than just numbers...

Strength - good subject but again would like some space between the edge of the shadow and the frame? Really nice lighting shows off the stonework well, but maybe recovery a touch more detail from the dark anchor?

Wild - Too tight a crop for me but good detail and focusing

Play reshoot - I actually preferred the first! Didn't think there was anything to improve for me.

Close (I really struggle with this tiny thumbnails - may be worth embedding an 600-800px image in future?) I really like this subject - so funny! Well taken, good DOF but maybe a touch more would have kept all of the shell in focus?

Redone bug - much better!

Back