Tyre life ?

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi people

If driven normally how long mileage wise would you expect from a set of tyres ?

MY Citroen C3 still has its Michelins on after 40k and they still are in good condition but that is with loads of motorway

Depends on the tyres, as well as the car, driving style and road use. I tend to use "higher" performance tyres eg Eagle F1, Michelin Pilot Supersport etc. I generally get 10k for the fronts and about 20k for the backs. I do a mix of commuting, long distance, sometimes I put my foot down, other times I pootle along.

About 20k front and double that rear. Depends on car, driving style etc though

Depends on if car is fwd, rwd, 4wd, awd. Do you rotate the tyres, do the tyres have a really soft compound, how smooth you are with the steering, how heavy you are on the accelerator and or brakes.
One person could get 20-30k miles, whilst someone else could only manage 10k from the same make of tyres.

On my motorbike 5K front, bit more rear, £275 to replace, hopefully will get more out of the new ones. Car - more difficult as I swap out winter tyres as and when required, also depends on driving style, if it's a diesel (I find them front heavy and wear tyres more quickly), cheap or expensive tyres etc.
Really difficult question to answer as there are so many variables.

Depends on the tyres, as well as the car, driving style and road use. I tend to use "higher" performance tyres eg Eagle F1, Michelin Pilot Supersport etc. I generally get 10k for the fronts and about 20k for the backs. I do a mix of commuting, long distance, sometimes I put my foot down, other times I pootle along.

I think Sir forgot if FWD or RWD, which would probably swap mileages around.

I don't get much out the fronts on the Mazda 6 because of the wifes driving. Now I drive the MX-5 I get quite a lot out the latest set of Kumo's, which only just need changing, about 15-20K miles.
The TVR, depends on what I'm doing with it. Generally just runs so reasonable on tyres.

My car is a ( dont laugh ) Fiat Panda , its done 15K on this set and are now US :(

Michelin Pilot Sport 3s on front of FTO only last 5k miles. Rainsports a little better, maybe 7k. Seems all the decent wet grip tyres wear quickly though.

Depends on the car model and your driving style. If you drive like the stig around the Nurburgring don't expect to be able to use the tyres afterwards....

If you drive on motorways day in and day out, driving steadily, then tyres can last a long time.

Spirited driving on country roads in a car with a sport suspension set up with tyres like P-Zero Rossos...10K max......careful driving on mixed roads with sensible tyres 25-30k miles....

As has been said, really depends on car, tyres, driving style and what your driving - motorways, country lanes...

I had about 30K from my Mondoe years go, Alfa 156 - 8K from front set due to camber, generally hope for about 20K from a set.

Think my best one yet, was 3k from a full set on Westfield :D

Last edited:
My car is a ( dont laugh ) Fiat Panda , its done 15K on this set and are now US :(
Both front and rear are worn out after 15k miles? From memory it's a FWD car so I'd expect something around that on the fronts, but perhaps double on the rears.

For comparison, I get about 17k on the rear tyres on my car and perhaps 50k on the fronts, but mine is mid engine and rear wheel drive, I use Michelin Pilot Sports and it has 18" wheels (rare when it was new, but you get them on just about everything new now), which means the rolling circumference of the tyres is larger so less tyre revolutions per mile.

Is the wear even across the width of tyres? Have you had the tracking / wheel alignment checked?

On mine i have been getting 6k out of rears, and about 10k from fronts, these are Michelin Pilot Supersports fitted to an F80 M3. I now have a set of Michelin Pilot 4S on the rear, which are supposed to last longer, we will see.

On my bikes I normally get about 3k rear and double for the front, normally Pirelli Diablo Corsa iii's.

I would expect better than 15K on a Fiat Panda unless you're using Goodyear F1s or similar softish compound tyres. Conti Ecos usually give decent mileage, but can be a little noisy and less grippy than some.

I would expect better than 15K on a Fiat Panda unless you're using Goodyear F1s or similar softish compound tyres. Conti Ecos usually give decent mileage, but can be a little noisy and less grippy than some.
I had Goodyear F1's on my Focus ST, easily capable of wheelspin in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear and the fronts would still last 20k.
I had a Mondeo STTDCi before that, plenty of fast country road driving and the Continental Contact Sports were always good for at least 25k.

Good years on my Volvo s60 D5 and If I manage to get them to last before they pick fatal punctures up I get about 8k on the fronts and 10-12k rears. Running Pirelli Rosso Corsa’s on the bike and about 3.5k rear to 5k front.

I had Goodyear F1's on my Focus ST, easily capable of wheelspin in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear and the fronts would still last 20k.
I had a Mondeo STTDCi before that, plenty of fast country road driving and the Continental Contact Sports were always good for at least 25k.

Interesting - I had F1s on my Pug 309, and they managed about 12K of careful driving on the fronts. Different compounds in different years/versions possibly?

Interesting - I had F1s on my Pug 309, and they managed about 12K of careful driving on the fronts. Different compounds in different years/versions possibly?
Just so many variables when it comes to tyre wear.

Compounds
Pressures
Car weight distribution
Driven wheels
Road surfaces driven on
Amount of tight manoeuvres completed
Dry steering
Driving style and smoothness

For example, the fire trucks we have wear out the rear tyres in between 150 - 200 mikes due to the tight turning circle we have to use outside the appliance bays. The rubber on the ground is akin to the value of gold when the tyres cost well over £2K each! The new trucks I have on order will use tyres at half the cost, and last 10 times longer at least due to the more modern design of the vehicles.Well that's what my business case said ;)

Proxes T1 Sport on Mazda 6 - roughly 30-35k on the front, don't know how long the rears would last - never had to replace one through wear, but only keep the car maximum of 3 years. (65-70k)

Probably do 2000 miles a year NOT on dual carriageway/motorway

On mine i have been getting 6k out of rears, and about 10k from fronts, these are Michelin Pilot Supersports fitted to an F80 M3. I now have a set of Michelin Pilot 4S on the rear, which are supposed to last longer, we will see.

My F30 330D isn't much better although I'm sure X-Drive and also finger touch electric steering doesn't help.

My F30 330D isn't much better although I'm sure X-Drive and also finger touch electric steering doesn't help.
That's the thing, power steering encourages 'dry steering' which scrubs the tyres, the 330D is a heavy motor too, which added to the power spells costly tyre wear.

Proxes T1 Sport on Mazda 6 - roughly 30-35k on the front, don't know how long the rears would last - never had to replace one through wear, but only keep the car maximum of 3 years. (65-70k)

Probably do 2000 miles a year NOT on dual carriageway/motorway
Wow, are they made of concrete?

That's the thing, power steering encourages 'dry steering' which scrubs the tyres, the 330D is a heavy motor too, which added to the power spells costly tyre wear.

I've also found the 3 series and 5 series ridiculously long cars considering how little room there is on the inside. Damn engine bay is about a 3rd of the car's length! The CRV is actually a shorter car but has huge amounts more space inside.

I've also found the 3 series and 5 series ridiculously long cars considering how little room there is on the inside. Damn engine bay is about a 3rd of the car's length! The CRV is actually a shorter car but has huge amounts more space inside.
I agree, I had to buy a second buggy as our normal one wouldn't fit in the M3 boot.

On my motorbike 5K front, bit more rear, £275 to replace, hopefully will get more out of the new ones.

Nice! My rear wears out at almost twice the rate as the front. A near perfect two for one ratio when i need to buy new tyres for my bike. As many variables for this as there would be for cars though.

Vauxhall Astra H facelift model 1.6l engine. I got rid of whatever rubbish that was on the car and fitted Goodyear Efficient Grip 205/55R16V. Done 12K on the fronts with 3mm to go and about 5mm on the rears.

Totally bloody useless in the the recent snow, but on wet roads absolutely brilliant.

I have efficient grips on my countryman. Seem OK, but wearing faster than the bridgestones they replaced and not tremendously grippy - also side walls very flexible, giving a softer ride, but lots of flex on corners.

I have efficient grips on my countryman. Seem OK, but wearing faster than the bridgestones they replaced and not tremendously grippy - also side walls very flexible, giving a softer ride, but lots of flex on corners.

Same as I found them, they only managed about 6k on my FTO too.

Back