Updated 5 July: Dan's FIFA World Cup Photography Blog - Argentina v Germany

Great set Dan..both on here and the blog..especially love the first one of Capello..tells alot. The downhearted Rooney pic also speaks a thousand words. Great work.

Ps..keep your hands in the cage on the 30th!

Thanks matey. Think that's my favorite pic of Capello so far.

As for keeping my hands inside the cage, there's no worries on that front. I've seen photos of what they do to surfers

Very interesting read and some great commentary. Makes me miss home :crying:

Dan sorry for a numpty Q - but what the hell I am going to ask.

Post #79 - how close were you to Capello and Rooney for those pics? Absolute belters..

Keep them coming Dan, really enjoying the blog.

Thanks mate, glad you like.

Very interesting read and some great commentary. Makes me miss home :crying:

Thanks v.much. I'm loving your country and it's people. Nothing like the horror stories you are force fed before coming here... touch wood!

Dan sorry for a numpty Q - but what the hell I am going to ask.

Post #79 - how close were you to Capello and Rooney for those pics? Absolute belters..

Not a numpty Q at all mate, you wouldn't know from the pics. Capello I was about 6' away from on a 70-200 during the national anthems, the Rooney pic I reckon was between 15-20' on a 400mm. That help? :)

Your description of driving dolly sounds a lot like my driving :eek:

heh heh.. dangerous but fun eh!

Thanks matey. Think that's my favorite pic of Capello so far.

As for keeping my hands inside the cage, there's no worries on that front. I've seen photos of what they do to surfers

Yep..not a pretty sight. Few years ago a mate of my brother died after being bitten by a Great white while surfing in East London (just down the road from Port Elizabeth). I have never swam in the seas around SA since!

Yep..not a pretty sight. Few years ago a mate of my brother died after being bitten by a Great white while surfing in East London (just down the road from Port Elizabeth). I have never swam in the seas around SA since!

Bloody hell, don't blame you for a second for not wanting to swim round here. I'm hoping the one we meet will be friendly ;)

Bloody hell, don't blame you for a second for not wanting to swim round here. I'm hoping the one we meet will be friendly ;)

Daft as it sounds, a quick bop on the nose soon shows it who is boss... it's true... I saw it on a channel 5 shark documentary!

Hi Dan,

Doesn't "help" as such as I am unlikely to be in that situation....... just intrigued, as for a lot of this world cup I have been looking at the toggers on the sidelines and glass spotting.......:LOL:

been watching them with I guess the 70-200 on one body and the 400mm prime laid across their chests......on another...

who knows - could have been looking at you. You need a TP baseball cap on!!!!

Daft as it sounds, a quick bop on the nose soon shows it who is boss... it's true... I saw it on a channel 5 shark documentary!

I'm going to kick it in the nuts if it gets too close.. Do sharks have nuts?

Hi Dan,

Doesn't "help" as such as I am unlikely to be in that situation....... just intrigued, as for a lot of this world cup I have been looking at the toggers on the sidelines and glass spotting.......:LOL:

been watching them with I guess the 70-200 on one body and the 400mm prime laid across their chests......on another...

who knows - could have been looking at you. You need a TP baseball cap on!!!!

Hah.. how about I hold a St George flag for the rest of the tourney :)

Hi all

So another day another football game, but this time it was a footballing masterclass from the Spanish rather than a footballing nightmare from the English.

The blog has been updated with loads of pics and waffle, if your terminally bored feel free to have a look at colorsportworldcup.blogspot.com/ :)

Here's a couple of pics from it.

csp_wc_spain_portugal_290610_108744.jpg

csp_wc_spain_portugal_290610_109271.jpg

csp_wc_spain_portugal_290610_109200.jpg

csp_wc_spain_portugal_290610_109620.jpg

Nice one of Villa, got to feel for the Portuguese Keeper Eduardo.

Impressive Stadium?

Good capture on the first image ((no one expects...)).. made me chuckle :)
Also loving the celebration image.. being in the right place at the right time, etc.
Keeping an eye on the blog....

Great images, I've been checking your blog out too. Some excellent work on there.

As GooGaBu say's you have been able to capture some great celebration shots... could you have wished for a better location?

Just out of interest, how have they been giving you your positions? do you have a choice?

Just out of curiosity - how many games are you covering in Soooth Africa??
You've done few so far - and now it's more of the knock-out stages. So how many more games will you be covering???

Interesting to hear how many games makes a trip like this worth for yourself.. ( I know many of us would just be there for the fact that we could photograph the World Cup).

Good capture on the first image ((no one expects...)).. made me chuckle :)
Also loving the celebration image.. being in the right place at the right time, etc.
Keeping an eye on the blog....

Thanks matey :)

Great images, I've been checking your blog out too. Some excellent work on there.

As GooGaBu say's you have been able to capture some great celebration shots... could you have wished for a better location?

Just out of interest, how have they been giving you your positions? do you have a choice?

Thanks mate.

Yep we do have a choice, as we enter the media centre there is a map of the stadium and we are able to select our position based on arrival time. It's then down to experience, editorial requirements and guesswork to decide where best to sit.

Just out of curiosity - how many games are you covering in Soooth Africa??
You've done few so far - and now it's more of the knock-out stages. So how many more games will you be covering???

Interesting to hear how many games makes a trip like this worth for yourself.. ( I know many of us would just be there for the fact that we could photograph the World Cup).

I've just done tonights Brazil v Netherlands QF, I'm now driving to Cape Town to do the Germany v Argentina game, then I just have the Cape Town Semi and I'm off home the day after. :)

Hi all

Just a quick update to let you know I've just covered the Netherlands v Brazil Quarter Final and have put up a very quick post about it on the blog (lots of pics though). http://colorsportworldcup.blogspot.com/

Great game tonight and now looking forward to the Argentina v Germany game tomorrow night (not looking forward to the 8 hour drive back to Cape Town though).

Heres a couple of pics, lots more on the blog.

csp_wc_brazil_netherlands_020610_110092.jpg

csp_wc_brazil_netherlands_020610_111457.jpg

csp_wc_brazil_netherlands_020610_111998.jpg

csp_wc_brazil_netherlands_020610_112316.jpg

Last edited:
Yet again an amazing set Dan, you have captured some very emotive images. Each image here tells its own story (yes yes cliche I know, but they are not just 'sport snapshots') which to me means task accomplished. I think the only one that doesn't do it for me is the anthem one on the blog with the board in the way, but guess there is nought you can do about that!

Last edited:
csp_wc_spain_portugal_290610_109200.jpg

Wow, this one came up on my iPhone updates screen through CBC Canada. Small world! (Or maybe one very very very very similar)

Great sets. Keep em coming.

Yet again an amazing set Dan, you have captured some very emotive images. Each image here tells its own story (yes yes cliche I know, but they are not just 'sport snapshots') which to me means task accomplished. I think the only one that doesn't do it for me is the anthem one on the blog with the board in the way, but guess there is nought you can do about that!

Thanks very much matey, glad you like. I suppose we're all out here trying to tell a story rather than just submit stand alone images, although whether that's what the picture ed's want.. who knows :)

With the line up pic the green is a huge Brazil flag which I purposefully got behind and I quite liked the effect with how you could still see Kakas body through it clutching his chest as he belted out the anthem.. but I can see why I'm in a minority with that one :)

Here's a different version which is probably a better shot as it shows the Brazil flag in context.

csp_wc_brazil_netherlands_020610_110385.jpg

Wow, this one came up on my iPhone updates screen through CBC Canada. Small world! (Or maybe one very very very very similar)

Great sets. Keep em coming.

Thanks mate. Who knows where they end up, although I would imagine their were lots and lots of similar pics available from the night :)

Nice shot of Maradona - and enjoyed the Brazil-game photos as well.

Don't take this the wrong way - but I would like to see more writing on the blog. As said, the photos are great and all - but would really enjoy reading a bit more as well.

Hope you are enjoying your day off ...

Great shots, love the Spanish Inquisition one, made me chuckle!

And the one of Robben in mid air about to hit the dirt is class.

Nice shot of Maradona - and enjoyed the Brazil-game photos as well.

Don't take this the wrong way - but I would like to see more writing on the blog. As said, the photos are great and all - but would really enjoy reading a bit more as well.

Hope you are enjoying your day off ...

Thanks matey.

As for more wordage.. your wish is my command :)

Great shots, love the Spanish Inquisition one, made me chuckle!

And the one of Robben in mid air about to hit the dirt is class.

Thanks very much, I think the Robben pic is one of my favs from the tournament.

Hi all

I've updated the blog with a some tales of daring do, swashbuckling and a little photography related ranting.. oh and some pics of Argentina v Germany.

Check it out at http://colorsportworldcup.blogspot.com/ if you have nothing else to do.

Buy the way there really is a big rant in there so I apologise if anyone's offended by my sweeping generalisations and blatant stereotyping :)

Here's a couple of pics, loads more on the blog.

csp_wc_argentina_germany_030710_113699.jpg

csp_wc_argentina_germany_030710_115324.jpg

csp_wc_argentina_germany_030710_115344.jpg

Absolutely love your blog Dan. I document our ladies and girls club and have just started doing our local Men's club but would die to do the pro games. The photos and the write-ups on your blog are captivating...and I am not a fan of blogs.

Thanks for the read.

Absolutely love your blog Dan. I document our ladies and girls club and have just started doing our local Men's club but would die to do the pro games. The photos and the write-ups on your blog are captivating...and I am not a fan of blogs.

Thanks for the read.

Thanks very much, glad you are enjoying it. Sounds like you're going the right way about sports photography, build your skills and portfolio and keep taking steps up in the level of sport you shoot.. and most of all enjoy it :)

These 2 would be brilliant for a caption competition.

It would almost certainly involve someone telling Robben he's a diving @%*$

I have to say I have been following the Blog with interest, and it's been good to see what goes into being a Pro Photographer at a big sporting event. :)

Keep up the good work. (y)

Thanks matey, really appreciated :)

Thanks matey.

As for more wordage.. your wish is my command :)

Thank you - hope I didn't demand too much of your free-time (if I did - you can return the favour to me in couple of months when I do my World Championships - blog!!!).

I've done few bigger events as well and do feel sympathy in the 'gear going missing' issue. Happened to a friend of mine in a World Cup qual. game last year (and his gear was next to mine in the media-center).
But surprised that it can happen in one of the biggest events in teh world..
Then again - media room with 200 photographers gear. I doubt that the security know which 400mm lens is what and belongs to who...

Sometimes these big events aren't that great for capturing the 'right' images.. as you said, all good places taken 5 hours before kick-off :bonk:
So less room to move and choose your place..

Great read on the blog this time (and plenty of it) - enjoy the last couple of games in Suuth Africa (and don't bring the weather back with you!!)

It would almost certainly involve someone telling Robben he's a diving @%*$

Couldn't agree more...however, he's in good company this world cup :/

Come on Dan, this is like getting to the end of the book and realising the last few pages are missing.

;P

I agree with the above comment...and been wondering where the 'stories' and images from the last games have been...
It was an enjoyable read.. just ended before... the end.

I agree with the above comment...and been wondering where the 'stories' and images from the last games have been...
It was an enjoyable read.. just ended before... the end.

I seem to remember Dan was only out there up until the first Semi-Final...so missed the second Semi, the bronze place and the final. Shame, but thems the breaks with major tournaments!

Hi guys.. So sorry it all ended when it did but in the mad rush to get the last game done, pack up, travel home, see the wife, play with the cat, adjust to normal life etc etc the blog was possibly the last thing on earth I wanted to do. The blog was also designed to work along side our new Colorsport website which was due to go live during the World Cup, it didn't, so commercially the blog was a bit redundant and as time was so tight I ended up being a bit slack with it.. shame.

I will finish it off next week with a closing entry and some more pics but if you want to have a look at my pick of my World Cup pics there is a gallery on my website http://www.danrowley.co.uk.

To say thanks for keeping me entertained with your comment and good wishes while I was away I'm also going to run a sports photo competition with a stellar-ish prize* all the way from the good people at Nikon at the World Cup. Just need to clear it with the mods :)

*don't get your hopes up too much ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for coming back and updating us Dan. :)

You've got some excellent pictures on your website, and not just of the World Cup. (y)

My favourite of the World Cup pics is #4. I love the look on the South Korean players face.

Of the other sports pics, I love the Wales v Italy Rugby match pic, they way the Italian player looks like he's putting everything into tackling the Welsh player . :)

Back