Updating sat nav maps?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I have an aftermarket built in sat nav/dvd player in my car and I was told I can update my maps on it as long as they are compatible with WinCE operating system? I cannot get in contact with the seller anymore but they did suggest IGO, TomTom, Garmin or route66 maps. Where would I be able to get these?

It's IGO maps that's on it and if I'm honest I think they're pretty poor. I've never heard of route66 maps so I'm after either TomTom ones or Garmin if anyone could point me in the right direction? Also is it as simple as deleting the old files and downloading the new ones onto the SD card?

Cheers.

not quite that simple unless you are replacing the old map like for like with a newer version which looks like they can be purchased from here

http://www.igonavigation.com/map-updates-and-extras

if you want to change the navigation program it gets a little more complicated the main thing is to rename the new navigation executable to the same name as the old executable which started the navigation software if your sure it's running win ce and not android ( quite a few of the newer dvd/satnavs are android based ) if it's based on android it would be a simple case of installing your preferred nav software and maps

win ce can be a little more involved because the satnav software tends to be tied up in a menu hence renaming the new software to the same as the old software so the menu will run the navigation software

in the past iv'e done this sort of thing with cheap satnavs which run in win ce but they can be a bit fiddly to get them to run properly

not quite that simple unless you are replacing the old map like for like with a newer version which looks like they can be purchased from here

http://www.igonavigation.com/map-updates-and-extras

if you want to change the navigation program it gets a little more complicated the main thing is to rename the new navigation executable to the same name as the old executable which started the navigation software if your sure it's running win ce and not android ( quite a few of the newer dvd/satnavs are android based ) if it's based on android it would be a simple case of installing your preferred nav software and maps

win ce can be a little more involved because the satnav software tends to be tied up in a menu hence renaming the new software to the same as the old software so the menu will run the navigation software

in the past iv'e done this sort of thing with cheap satnavs which run in win ce but they can be a bit fiddly to get them to run properly

Cheers. I'm pretty sure it's WinCE that it's running. IIRC I saw it in an info folder on the satnav somehwere.

I've come across some maps by Igo and comparing it to mine it looks like just a simple update, but they are truck maps?

the price of them these days its probably cheaper to buy one in the shop and ignore the fitted one

i think the difference between truck and normal maps will be the same it's only the routing that differs and multi point navigation which should be handled by the navigation software rather than the map

the map update should have a list of compatible igo versions it will work with if yours is on the list it should be good to go

make sure you back the card up before you update the maps just in case it goes pear shaped

i think the difference between truck and normal maps will be the same it's only the routing that differs and multi point navigation which should be handled by the navigation software rather than the map

the map update should have a list of compatible igo versions it will work with if yours is on the list it should be good to go

make sure you back the card up before you update the maps just in case it goes pear shaped

All went smoothly. I'm now running the Igo truck maps.

stick your android on the windscreen. I have never seen the point of integrated things other than ripping of the customers.

My Zafira came with the infotaiment system incl SatNav. Off all I have used to date this one has proved to be very accurate. Until late September on the A47 out of Camarthen going to Pembroke. It demanded that we xid a U Turn then to leave a non existent roundabout at the 3rd exit. All became clear whe I remembered that we were on the new section of the A47.

A phone call to the dealer elicited that they had not had the latest update disc......

Oh well at least the sun's position and time of day will indicate position... hang on ... its that horrid getting towards wintrer time of year. Trusty(ish) AA road atlas.... Are they still a ailable?

Steve

My Zafira came with the infotaiment system incl SatNav. Off all I have used to date this one has proved to be very accurate. Until late September on the A47 out of Camarthen going to Pembroke. It demanded that we xid a U Turn then to leave a non existent roundabout at the 3rd exit. All became clear whe I remembered that we were on the new section of the A47.

A phone call to the dealer elicited that they had not had the latest update disc......

Oh well at least the sun's position and time of day will indicate position... hang on ... its that horrid getting towards wintrer time of year. Trusty(ish) AA road atlas.... Are they still a ailable?

Steve

Yup still available lol. I keep one in my boot where the spare wheel should be. BMW are knobs and don;t give you a spare wheel because they put runflat tyres on their cars so plenty room for a map:rolleyes:

stick your android on the windscreen. I have never seen the point of integrated things other than ripping of the customers.

It's an aftermarket built in one. I bought it to save putting things on my dash because that's where my PG Tips monkey sits:p, plus I'm not paying dealer prices for things I can get cheaper. It's also a DVD player so I've built in some 7" monitors into my head rests to keep the kids quiet. Will be especially good for my drive to Spain after Christmas.

good to hear :)

Indeed, cheers for the tips (y)

Last edited:
Back