Upgrade from a D40...

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
So I've had my D40 for a year now and need more than 6 megapixels to push myself further creatively. What do you people suggest? I have a budget of £450. Where's the best to buy? I'm thinking of buying 2nd hand.

Well, you're basically trading in a D40 for a D40x in that case, because the D60 is almost the same as a D40x.
You might want to consider the D80/D90 if just for the added buttons and displays and such (not to mention newer tech) for when you start wanting a more 'pro' feel.

There was a D200 in the classifieds if you're looking for the pro feel and its in your budget.

As has been said you may be able to find a D200 for that type of money second-hand. Definitely a step up from the consumer DSLR's Nikon offers.

As has been said you may be able to find a D200 for that type of money second-hand. Definitely a step up from the consumer DSLR's Nikon offers.

Precisely my point, the D40 is a great camera don't get me wrong. Just with the low megapixel count I feel I can never quite get the picture that I want. And as most of you have said yourselves, I'm pushing for a more pro feel.

I don't get what you mean 'with the low megapixel count' - how is this restricting you? What size are you printing your work at?

What lenses are you currently using with the D40?

For £450 you can get yourself a very nice new lens that will open up a whole new world of opportunities. A lot better than getting a new body.

For £450 you can get yourself a very nice new lens that will open up a whole new world of opportunities. A lot better than getting a new body.

Thanks for giving me something constructive back. What would you suggest? I'm really into landscape and architecture photography, I was considering perhaps a wide angled lens?

Which is what my post was aiming for...

I'm working with the standard D40 lens, the 18-55mm. I'm only printing at around A4 size at the moment, this not being a problem. However I now feel in the position to either upgrade or introduce some variety in my photography, perhaps with the introduction of a new lens.

In all honesty, I wouldn't know what to suggest as I have no idea what your style is really like.

I do landscape too, and I use the range from 24mm all the way to 300mm; but I am not particularly fond of wide-angle (had the Sigma 10-20mm and sold that, had the Sigma 20 f/1.8 and sold that). That said, I am now thinking of getting the Voigtlander 20 f/3.5 Color Skopar and a B+W 52mm Slim Kasemann to go with it.

For landscape I would always suggest a polariser filter, Grand ND filters are good too; but it's all about your individual style.

You really don't have to spend that much money, since you've got the range from 18mm all the way to 200mm covered. Remember, you are on a cropped sensor, so that's some range you've got covered.

I'd suggest look into the filters, they will open up a whole new creative opportunity. Of course, you don't have to spend the large sums required by B+W filters, Marumi make good Circular Polarisers, and Hi-Tech make good ND Grad filters. Shouldn't cost you more than £100 ~ £150 for the whole lot.

A good tripod is another thing I'd suggest, with a good ball head; this is ideal for long exposures .. and for landscapes too. That's another £100 ~ £150.

A remote trigger, for your D40, that would be another £25 I guess.

Please keep in mind that the D40 is a fantastic bit of camera. I have one, and still use it (it's in service right now) .. I loved it so much that I bought a few as gifts for family members. It's an excellent bit of kit .. do not underestimate its' ability.

In all honesty, I wouldn't know what to suggest as I have no idea what your style is really like.

I do landscape too, and I use the range from 24mm all the way to 300mm; but I am not particularly fond of wide-angle (had the Sigma 10-20mm and sold that, had the Sigma 20 f/1.8 and sold that). That said, I am now thinking of getting the Voigtlander 20 f/3.5 Color Skopar and a B+W 52mm Slim Kasemann to go with it.

For landscape I would always suggest a polariser filter, Grand ND filters are good too; but it's all about your individual style.

You really don't have to spend that much money, since you've got the range from 18mm all the way to 200mm covered. Remember, you are on a cropped sensor, so that's some range you've got covered.

I'd suggest look into the filters, they will open up a whole new creative opportunity. Of course, you don't have to spend the large sums required by B+W filters, Marumi make good Circular Polarisers, and Hi-Tech make good ND Grad filters. Shouldn't cost you more than £100 ~ £150 for the whole lot.

A good tripod is another thing I'd suggest, with a good ball head; this is ideal for long exposures .. and for landscapes too. That's another £100 ~ £150.

A remote trigger, for your D40, that would be another £25 I guess.

Please keep in mind that the D40 is a fantastic bit of camera. I have one, and still use it (it's in service right now) .. I loved it so much that I bought a few as gifts for family members. It's an excellent bit of kit .. do not underestimate its' ability.

Brilliant! That's all been noted down and I feel like I've had a really worthwhile response. Just quickly to help me along the way what do ND Grad filters do and I didn't understand "Remember, you are on a cropped sensor, so that's some range you've got covered".

Thanks again.

EDIT: Sorry for the self promotion but here is the link to my flickr, perhaps that would give you a better insight into my photography.

Your D40 is a great camera by all accounts and I'm thinking of getting one myself. I am a novice but you could upgrade your lenses within your budget and get used examples of the 18 - 70 f3.5 - 4.5 DX and a 70 - 300 VR .

From wikipedia on what ND Grad are all about.

I've had a brief and quick look at your Flickr page. You've got some very good shots there, and a good eye for composition (y). Your picture here is an example where such a filter would help with the over-exposed sky.

So I've had my D40 for a year now and need more than 6 megapixels to push myself further creatively. What do you people suggest? I have a budget of £450. Where's the best to buy? I'm thinking of buying 2nd hand.

Just to reiterate the sentiment from others, don't be fooled into thinking that your equipment is what limits your creativity because that's not from where it stems.

Do you think this photographer let her 6MP Nikon D70 limit her creativity?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/-lucie-/2223392941/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/-lucie-/2570772170/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/-lucie-/2341308060/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/-lucie-/3012511603/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/-lucie-/2875527957/

Why not use some of your money to invest in some training or trips to interesting places where you can exercise your creativity with your existing kit?

Just to reiterate the sentiment from others, don't be fooled into thinking that your equipment is what limits your creativity because that's not from where it stems.

Do you think this photographer let her 6MP Nikon D70 limit her creativity?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/-lucie-/2223392941/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/-lucie-/2570772170/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/-lucie-/2341308060/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/-lucie-/3012511603/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/-lucie-/2875527957/

Why not use some of your money to invest in some training or trips to interesting places where you can exercise your creativity with your existing kit?

Apologies for the ambiguous wording on my OP. These are fantastic photos, but as you'd probably agree they would have been perhaps slightly better if taken with a higher megapixel camera?

If you really do want to upgrade your camera sell the D40 and with the money added to your £450 buy a used D200 and a used Nikon 70 - 300 VR lens to go with your 18 - 55.

Apologies for the ambiguous wording on my OP. These are fantastic photos, but as you'd probably agree they would have been perhaps slightly better if taken with a higher megapixel camera?

Not at all. Megapixel only really comes into play when you're printing on say A3. Then you really need a bigger megapixel Camera.

If you really do want to upgrade your camera sell the D40 and with the money added to your £450 buy a used D200 and a used Nikon 70 - 300 VR lens to go with your 18 - 55.

Or like I say above, sell the D40 and the 18 - 55 and get a used D200 with the money you have and the proceeds of the D40 and 18 - 55 but instead of a used 70 - 300 VR lens you could consider a used 16 - 85 VR.

These are fantastic photos, but as you'd probably agree they would have been perhaps slightly better if taken with a higher megapixel camera?

It depends what your definition of 'better' is.

Do I think these images would have been more aesthetically pleasing with a higher MP camera? No. Do I think these images would provide improved quality, larger sized prints? Yes.

LewisScrafton said:
Just with the low megapixel count I feel I can never quite get the picture that I want.

What benefit would more megapixels alone give you? Would a compact camera with more megapixels than your D40 provide you with the same benefit?

It might help you and your wallet to explore these questions and understand what you think is limiting your photography. Know what's broken before you try to fix it!

I've had a quick look at your Flickr stream and I like some of the stuff you've produced. Do I think a higher MP camera would improve those images? As I view them on Flickr, no. Maybe some filters or HDR/tone mapping techniques to help bring back the blown skies, but certainly not more MP.

No I wouldn't agree. Unless of course you are printing out at large sizes.

I didn't understand "Remember, you are on a cropped sensor, so that's some range you've got covered".

I suggest you do some reading on the subject, just to help you understand the terminology and technology better. It will be useful in the long run. :)

In short there are two types of D-SLR; cropped-sensor and full-frame.

All you need to know is a cropped-sensor affects the field of view (when looking through the viewfinder/taking the shot). For example, in the main, Nikon's cropped-sensor bodies offer a crop-factor of 1.5x; this means the field of view will be 1.5x the stated focal length. An example of this would be a 50mm lens which would have a focal length of 50mm and a field of view of 75mm (1.5x 50 = 75).

Examples of Nikon cropped-sensor (DX) D-SLR's are; D40/D40x/D60/D5000/D80/D90/D200/D300/D300s (there are more!).

Full-frame camera's are more straight-forward in that they do not affect the field of view. So a 50mm lens will have both a focal length and a field of view of 50mm.

Examples of Nikon full-frame (FX) D-SLR's are; D700/D3/D3x

Hope this helps.

Very well explained sdb124 (y)

:LOL:

So sorry for that :p .... purely unintentional and an honest mistake.

I suggest you do some reading on the subject, just to help you understand the terminology and technology better. It will be useful in the long run. :)

In short there are two types of D-SLR; cropped-sensor and full-frame.

All you need to know is a cropped-sensor affects the field of view (when looking through the viewfinder/taking the shot). For example, in the main, Nikon's cropped-sensor bodies offer a crop-factor of 1.5x; this means the field of view will be 1.5x the stated focal length. An example of this would be a 50mm lens which would have a focal length of 50mm and a field of view of 75mm (1.5x 50 = 75).

Examples of Nikon cropped-sensor (DX) D-SLR's are; D40/D40x/D60/D5000/D80/D90/D200/D300/D300s (there are more!).

Full-frame camera's are more straight-forward in that they do not affect the field of view. So a 50mm lens will have both a focal length and a field of view of 50mm.

Examples of Nikon full-frame (FX) D-SLR's are; D700/D3/D3x

Hope this helps.

Thanks that helped a lot. And also thanks to everyone else who gave some advice for me. I'm going to invest in a polariser and an ND Grad filter.

I've found a few different filters here, and some seem a lot different in price even when they have the same effect, I'm guessing this is down to the quality of the brand and overall performance, am I wrong?

Are you suggesting that a 24mm lens has a 24mm field of view and a 200mm lens a 200mm field of view on a full frame camera as well? :cautious:

(BTW I thought that a 50mm lens had a @40° 'field of view')

Are you suggesting that a 24mm lens has a 24mm field of view and a 200mm lens a 200mm field of view on a full frame camera as well? :cautious:

What's the correct terminology then? I may have it wrong as I'm only an amateur...If you have a point to make, why not make it?

The way I understood it was ....

On DX body a 50mm lens had a field of view equal to something like 75mm lens; while on a FX body the 50mm lens would have a field of view equal to what a 50mm ought to be giving ... no multiplication / factoring involved.

Was very clear to me; but let's not get bogged down with terminologies. The OP is obviously very new and is on an upward learning curve.

Back